Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Credit to Karl
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:53 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Thought Karl played a faultless game last night, yet I haven't heard many positive reports on him yet. What is everyones thoughts?

For the record I gave him one vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:08 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Yep it seemed Karl was on a bit of a mission last night. Really had a crack wanted to do well.....and he did.
If he can do that consistantly his spot in the team is solid.
The club's looked after Karl and even though he still is young, he owes the club a 100% effort on and off the field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

Definately his best game this year, was very good but would have been interesting to see him have a crack at Tredrea(not taking anything away from the job Lance did).

Ronald Reagan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:05 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yep, Karl went alright IMO. He has such enormous potential it is scary, he just needs to keep his mindset right and he could be a Cameron Brice type I reckon. Karl just moves so well and his field kicking is generally spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:16 pm 
Rod Ashman

he looked more determined last night and that one handed pick up and 60 metre kick to touch was drool-worthy!!! 8)
His kicking in general is spot on and he is another that looks like he belongs in the panther division, along with Waitey.
Camel, good call too, he could play a similar game to Bruce. He has the ability to rack up stats if he wanted to. I think Bruce is a better player but Karl has a lot of improvement in him still

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:37 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yeah agree Bruce is more complete at the minute (well, apart from the injury he copped today), but a) I hope Karl makes 100 odd games and b) lets compare notes then. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

If he gets his head space right he could be absolutely any-bloody-thing.

Karl seems to do well when he's given a big task, along with a bit of freedom to break the lines. With him and Carrots dashing from half back, that frees up Lappin to the forward line and houla to a wing - shit starts to look good. The backline is our missing piece of the puzzle - once we get it right there's no stopping us.

Post subject: Karl
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:43 pm 
Geoff Southby

Karl. Peerless ! beautiful game.You belong.Why does this guy make me nervous.Watching Karl is like watching someone walk on egg shells.One false move and you are stuffed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:22 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Great job Karl, I think he restored a lot of faith with his performance

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:24 pm 
Bruce Doull

Best 4 quarter effort by Karl since hes been to the club.
Needs to step up from a flanker to a KPP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:41 pm 
Rod Ashman

I cant wait to see Thornton Livingston and Norman all in the 1 side. Livo seems to struggle against the athletic type players and depending on the match up we will be able to cover any tall forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:12 am 
Bruce Comben

We are yet to see all three fully fit and firing in the one team. I know when livo was playing well at the end of last year Karl was out injured. Gonna be intresting to what sort defence we have once all three a firing.

Reminds of the days of Silvagni, Dean & Sexton. Gee if they become half as good as those three i would be rapt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:58 am 
Rod McGregor

Synbad wrote:
Best 4 quarter effort by Karl since hes been to the club.
Needs to step up from a flanker to a KPP.

Of course we would all like to see him develop into a KPP. Keppler Bradley has been groomed at CHB despite playing mostly in the midfield at TAC level. When height is a rare commodity, the pressure to take a KP is immense.

But is there a possibility he will remain a back flanker? In the same way that Tadgh Kennelly is and Ang Christou used to be at home using pace to break away, but not so comfortable if drawn back into marking contests in packs. Perhaps the difference is that they are both about 190 cm, and therefore perhaps a bit shy of the requisite height, although Peter Dean was a hard CHB at 188 cm, and Sexton wasn't much taller at 192.

Perhaps an even more apt comparison is to Jason Saddington, who is 194 cm but is regarded as a utility rather than a KPP.

If he is prepared to sign on for a HBF's wages, then there is no harm. We can still afford a CHB while exploiting Karl's height against smaller opponents. That would make it easier for him to maintain his confidence and win his man-on-man contest consistently. It would give us good drive out of the backline.

If he demands a price consistent with his height on the basis that he could be a KPP, then there is a problem if he doesn't step up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:37 am 
Harry Vallence

I liked his balance on the run, his decision making when he got the ball that and the fact that he played tight all night .... beautiful.

and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:43 am 
Geoff Southby

Goal saving marks - 4 from memory. Very happy to see this game on the weekend, Norman looked interested, ran, and was a key player in the win. Ecstatic really - imagine him back to his best plus Thornton and Livo back (if Livo is needed), the defence will really tighten up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:03 am 
Harry Vallence

Well he's 195cm and he looks like the fastest bloke out there. Unlimited potential and would love to see him given big assignements each week. Karl will benefit from playing next to Thornton when he returns. Next year we could have Thornton, Livingston, Norman all looking like they belong in the AFL and all under 23 years of age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:11 am 
Bob Chitty

Yes congrats Karl!!

Terrific game and I look forward to see his game next week against Freo. He played pretty well over there in the first round last year from memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:21 am 
Craig Bradley

yep - super happy with Karl's game

thought he looked lost in the wizzer cup, then played a couple with the bullants, but looked okay on saturday night.

I really like him as a half back flanker mind you.

With Thorton at CHB and Livo at FB, then you have Norman and Lappin on the HBF with Teague and Carazzo in the pockets makes for a very handy back line :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:02 am 
Harry Vallence

I thought Karl proved again he can't play deep in defence looks totally lost. Yes did take some nice marks across the wing and HB but Damon White had the better if him across the night. Once again didn't see height differance between Karl (this magical figure of 195cm) and White 192cm. Infact looked slightly smaller then Tarrant 193cm against the pies also last year looked way smaller then Matthew Bishop who is listed at wait for it 195cm and during last years Rising star award stood next to Gary Lyon and looked to be the same height and Garry was always listed at 190cm!
Would loved to have seen the 5 page thread on Livo if he gave that effort when White took the mark over Lappin when Norman arrived 5 seconds to late chuck in the arm around the neck free kick and it might have gone to 10 pages. Agree Karl has done well on some smaller players but he still stuggles on the taller ones.