Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

williams is a whiney lil boy...he is made in the sheedy mold screw him...be proud of the attitude and the fire in the blueboys bellys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:43 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

camelboy wrote:
Anthoman wrote:
I dont know weather to be excited or upset.How many posters did we have?On the bright side great effort by the boys.Longmuir looked lively.I dont understand why Pagan didnt put on Betts in the last 15mins to shark a goal.Oh well :)

Port's HB line and our midfield kept cancelling each other out, we just could not get the ball inside 50 when it mattered. We had them on toast in the first half of the last quarter, we were winning the clearances and the contested balls, but then Port to their credit were able to wrest control of the game back to the point that they really looked the most likely winners. Thankfully we showed plenty of courage too and were able to get some score on the board.

I'll keep coming back to it, that wasted goal when Fev tried to pass it to Waite was really the turning point. I'm disappointed that Fev didn't take hise set shot, but it was unselfsih play and he was trying to put the ball to the team's advantage. But again, it was our poor foot skill execution inside 50 that hurt us on that occassion and that was indicative of the whole game really. We're getting better, but as I said, we just cannot waste so many chances in front of goal week after week.

Fev has all the great intentions in the world, Whits does the same thing....its WRONG to critisice them for it (and thats not what you've done) but FEV is the money man, anytime he has the ball inside 60 he must take the kick...he hits it he's a hero, he misses he's a hero for being unselfish, he's ahero regardless...FEV is a GUN, no doubt about it.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

camelboy wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Draw against the reigning premiers on their dung heap isn't so bad. Still heartbreaking to get so close and not get over the line.

Yep. :?

Regardless of the post match rationalisation we've created enough chances in every game this year to win comfortably and simply MUST get better and converting in front of goal.

True, and also our kicking into the forward line, actually around the ground needs to be better, to many turnovers costs us goals...

Gotta make tackles stick, too many times they are as good as a wet paper bag....

Still, happy with the effort after 1/4 time... Good to see some run back into the team with Walker and Chambers.

2 points is better than nothing..

Were in the eight :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:45 pm 
Laurie Kerr

HTP wrote:
Ops - spoke too soon. Nick Stevens now BOG

Nick Stevens now BOG is that serious, i thought he played a average game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:48 pm 
Harry Vallence

TruBlueBrad wrote:
natnat wrote:
we're gonna be ok people, I can't wait to get to melbourne in May, I miss my blueboys :(

nat, these boys have some spirit, they'll do you proud and make your trip to melb special.

hopefully us boys down here can also make it special

I'm hoping so too TrueBlue :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:49 pm 
Laurie Kerr

We are in the 8 now !!!!! :shock:

And we will stay there if Freo and Saints lose tomorrow. We didnt lose, Port, Essendon*, Collingwood didnt win and Essendon* on the bottom. Does it get any better that that in a round. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:51 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

natnat wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:
natnat wrote:
we're gonna be ok people, I can't wait to get to melbourne in May, I miss my blueboys :(

nat, these boys have some spirit, they'll do you proud and make your trip to melb special.

now now nat, don't hold us in suspense, do you want the boys to make you proud, or one of us to make you proud?

Hopefully you get both....if I were you I'd chase DAVID TEAGUE....after Hicky THE MOST COURAGEOUS PLAYER EVER!!!!

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

TBB, agree with you on Fev. I guess we just need the concentration to make the right decision/execution at the right time.

As great as the progress Denis is making with our team, our two biggest weaknesses IMO, are our scoring efficiency and our mental strength.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:00 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

camelboy wrote:
TBB, agree with you on Fev. I guess we just need the concentration to make the right decision/execution at the right time.

As great as the progress Denis is making with our team, our two biggest weaknesses IMO, are our scoring efficiency and our mental strength.

camelboy, how do we teach him to do the right thing at the right time though? Its instinct, I know that, the fact he cares about being a team player is great, but if he's within 60 he needs to kick at goal.

On a personal note I told my brother 5 yrs ago that if Fev ever sorts his ticking out he'll be a great and he's done that now...I heard he kicked 4.4...how many were posters? He is a great kick, great player and belivieve he'll be loyal to the BLUES at rhe end of this season

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:05 pm 
Robert Walls

Al Bundy the legend wrote:
HTP wrote:

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&s ... eid=196662

BEST –Carlton: Houlihan, Fevola, Johnson, Carrazzo, Wiggins, Waite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

TruBlueBrad wrote:
camelboy wrote:

camelboy, how do we teach him to do the right thing at the right time though? Its instinct...

You sit him down with Pagan, go through the tape and discuss alternative decisions that could have been made at that time. Discuss the pros and cons of each option and then Denis can say which one he reckons is the best way to go, Fev can say his and generally just discuss the situation.

Because the decision cost us a goal it's easy to say that Fev made the wrong decision. But as we've acknowledged he acted in the best interests of the team. But there was at least one other alternative available that could have also been in the team's best interests. I'd just like it if that moment was scrutinised by the coaching staff a bit more. I'm not suggesting anyone cops a bollocking, rather a sensible and encouraging discussion on decision making under pressure.

That and some more bloody kicking drills. We clearly have a need to deliver the ball with more quality inside 50.

There were two parts to that play. Mental and skill. Both need improve, and that's a team wide criticism, I'm not trying to single a player out.

I'm really happy that so many of us are seeing the great positives that have come out of this game, but to be honest, I'm very flat. If we were able to get that extra goal in front I think we would have been able to win the game. That extra goal not being scored resulted from us and only us. Let's use that experience as a positive so thatr when in similar positions again we get an outcome that is better for the club.

Hey, if Fev had of hit Waite on the chest I reckon we'd be celebrating a win and praising him for his unselfish play. This is why I'm not bagging Fev, but just stressing our need to have the mental strength to make the right decision at the right time, and once that decision has been made that it is executed with the required skill to make sure it comes off.

Last edited by camel on Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:12 pm 
Robert Walls

BlueWorld wrote:
HTP wrote:

http://carltonfc.com.au/default.asp?pg= ... eid=196662

Stevens BOG taken from AFL live game window thingy - RANKING POINTS Stevens 144, Kingsley 143 etc.

Anyway ...

Pagan's first ever draw apparently

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

TruBlueBrad wrote:
natnat wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:
natnat wrote:

now now nat, don't hold us in suspense, do you want the boys to make you proud, or one of us to make you proud?

Hopefully you get both....if I were you I'd chase DAVID TEAGUE....after Hicky THE MOST COURAGEOUS PLAYER EVER!!!!

He's too young for me hun :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:17 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

camelboy wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:
camelboy wrote:

camelboy, how do we teach him to do the right thing at the right time though? Its instinct...

You sit him down with Pagan, go through the tape and discuss alternative deicsions that could have been made at that time. Discuss the pros and cons of each option and then Denis can say which one he reckons is the best way to go, Fev can say his and generally just discuss the situation.

Because the decision cost us a goal it's easy to say that Fev made the wrong decision. But as we've acknowledged he acted in the best interests of the team. But there was at least on other alternative available that could have also been in the team's best interests. I'd just like it if that moment was scrutinised by the coaching staff a bit more. I'm not suggesting anyone cops a bollocking, rather a sensible and encouraging discussion on decision making under pressure.

That and some more bloody kicking drills. We clearly have a need to deliver the ball with more quality inside 50.

There were two parts to that play. Mental and skill. Both need improve, and that's a team wide criticism, I'm not trying to single a player out.

I'm really happy that so many of us are seeing the great positives that have come out of this game, but to be honest, I'm very flat. If we were able to get that extra goal in front I think we would have been able to win the game. That extra goal not being scored resulted from us and only us. Let's use that experience as a positive so thatr when in similar positions again we get an outcome that is better for the club.

Hey, if Fev had of hit Waite on the chest I reckon we'd be celebrating a win and priasing him for his unselfish play. This is why I'm not bagging Fev, but just stressing our need to have the mental strength to make the right decision at the right time, and once that decision has been made that it is executed with the required skill to make sure it comes off.

The one thing I would say to that is that I reckon a lot of our players act by instinct. Thats hard to counter, Fev has been told to be a team player and he tries too hard to live up to that. He needs to back himself, its a hard line to follow and Fev is doing an AWESOME job living upto expectations. Maybe some time with either Carey or Sticks to make him believe in himself could help. Belief is maybe the only thing he's missing now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yep, there's nothing wrong with what Fev did, and that's why I reckon some encouraging disucssion on what could have happened had he had the shot on goal is what's needed. After all it was at a similar time in the game and the same end in which he scored THAT goal against the Crows last year, so the vibes would have to have been good if he went back for a set shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:31 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

camelboy wrote:
Yep, there's nothing wrong with what Fev did, and that's why I reckon some encouraging disucssion on what could have happened had he had the shot on goal is what's needed. After all it was at a similar time in the game and the same end in which he scored THAT goal against the Crows last year, so the vibes would have to have been good if he went back for a set shot.

Exactly right. He just needs to sit down with Denis, Sticks, Carey and take something from everyone. They won't teach him how to get the ball, just advise him what to do when he does get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

If both those moves had paid off we'd be hailing him as a matchwinner and a visionary.

The ideas were not disastrous, the execution not quite there.

But I agree he is our full forward and our go-to guy. If it's gettable he should ALWAYS go for goal. I don't recall Lockett or Dunstall ever giving away too many to teammates.

Still, a major step in the right direction for Fevvy - hopefully the posts will be thinner at Subi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:34 am 
Robert Walls

HTP wrote:
BlueWorld wrote:
HTP wrote:

http://carltonfc.com.au/default.asp?pg= ... eid=196662

Stevens BOG taken from AFL live game window thingy - RANKING POINTS Stevens 144, Kingsley 143 etc.

Anyway ...

Pagan's first ever draw apparently

Maybe it's based on SMS votes like they have at the games. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:44 am 
Harry Vallence

Holy Toledo Batman....

We had people over last night and at one point I excused myself to go lie on my doona for a moment and contemplate my navel (slightly too much champagne)

was interupted in this pursuit by mrmelbelle holding the phone announcing my mother wanted to speak to me

And I thought I dreamed it... oh well 2 points is better than nothing

this looks to have been a good week to forget to put tips in.....

will watch the replay this afternoon and have something slightly more relevant to say.

So how may qaurters have we played this year now? I assume we've progressed from one?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36