Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Nick Stevens
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:21 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Three things on Nick Stevens:

Surely Malthouse's revision of history cannot go without a reply. He is basically besmirching Nick Stevens' name to cover his own ass:

As for Nick Stevens, Malthouse said Stevens had taken more money and the "easy course" in going to Carlton rather than Collingwood. "Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Bulldogs had first crack at that and didn't take him," Malthouse said.

"OK, his manager said to us privately it's much easier to go to the club through the December draft. It saves all his trouble - he gets the same commission and probably more. I reckon he got more money from Carlton than he would from Collingwood.

"So what manager would say that and not take the easy course and he took the easy course."

Point two: his effort after being bumped by Holland was special. he had eyes only for the ball in the first contest, bounced up, got the clearance and earned a free kick for hit after he got rid of it. Great stuff!

Point three: Like Rob Harvey, Stevens seems to struggle with kicking goals. He can hit a fly on the side of a barn from 60m, but kicking for goal he seems to choke a bit. Kicked one good on Saturday, but missed two gettable chances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:34 am 
Robert Walls

Malthouse just proves how dumb Collingwood were in thinking they could out wit everyone and get Stevens.

He can right all the revisionist history he likes but it won't change the fact that they got stared down by Choco under principle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:34 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Malthouse besmirched his own reputation by reading from a prepared statement with respect to Collingwood's recruiting gaffs over the past few years.

Yes he is right, the Bulldogs had the first pick in the PSD of 2003 but they chose to go for Jade Rawlings which allowed us to pick Nick Stevens at Pick 2 in the PSD.

What Malthouse/Balme/Judkins didn't say in that statement is that they could have made the trade deal with Port Adelaide during the Trade Period in the 2003 National Draft by giving up Alan Didak and a draft pick. :roll:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:27 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Forget Malthouse. That clown will be sacked by the end of this year.

Back to topic
Nick Stevens- Next Carlton captain, professionalism and work ethic on the park are second to none

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:32 am 
Craig Bradley

agree with buzz.

Stevens is a class act

the way he responded to the shirt front from brodie holland just goes to show what a champion he is :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:34 am 
Bruce Doull

I think Malthouse is going down the Sheedy path to senility.

I think Stevens will go down as a club legend as is most likely our next premiership captain.

Last edited by camel on Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:36 am 
Stephen Silvagni

buzzaaaah wrote:
Forget Malthouse. That clown will be sacked by the end of this year.

Back to topic
Nick Stevens- Next Carlton captain, professionalism and work ethic on the park are second to none

Actuallytrained the eye on the huddle at 3/4 time and none other than N.Stevens was speaking to the boys while they waited for Pagan.

Best thing thats happened around here for a long time.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:48 am 
Harry Vallence

TruBlueBrad wrote:
Actually trained the eye on the huddle at 3/4 time and none other than N.Stevens was speaking to the boys while they waited for Pagan.

Shame that he had no affect though.

NOW YOU'RE JUST SOME CLUB THAT I USED TO KNOW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:01 am 
Bruce Doull

George Harris wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:
Actually trained the eye on the huddle at 3/4 time and none other than N.Stevens was speaking to the boys while they waited for Pagan.

the problem were having is little leadership. I keep harping back to it but its true.
Where would this side be with a Voss??? Someone who talks the talk but walks the walk..we dont have a spiritual leader ( Risciutto. Harvey Buckley) Kouta probably is too much of a nice guy and doesnt have that edge others do.

Then Lance , Campo are not natural born leaders for reasons that have been discussed over the last year or two.,

What happens at clubs is the leaders set the tone and the others fall into line.

Stevens should be made captain at the end of this year because he will be here to lead us wherever fate takes us in the mid term.

Teague and Thornton should be made deputies along with French and maybe Lappin.

I was having a chat with Southby one day and we were talking about Doull.I asked him if he ever said anything in the rooms and Southby said that he didnt.. and that what Doull had were "his eyes".. a look that he was oing to come out and mean business.
The look reassured his teamates that he would win his contest and that they better win theirs. Doully had that eye of the tiger that we talk about.
I can hardly ever remember Bruce Doull getting beaten .
Easily one of my favourite ever players.

A Carlton Club Champion... a leader!!! even if he never captained and had had his tongue cut out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:35 am 
Ken Hunter

camelboy wrote:
I think Malthouse is going down the Sheedy path to senility.

Go down...? He's already there as far as I'm concerned.

Stevens is a top player. That bump on him by Holland looked a bit iffy to me - I thought it got his head - but to get up like that was brilliant.

Mark Williams, you're a tool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:51 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

thehalford wrote:
Stevens is a top player. That bump on him by Holland looked a bit iffy to me - I thought it got his head - but to get up like that was brilliant.

Great effort by Stevens to get up without batting an eyelid from that bump - many other players would have spent the rest of the day trying to even it up (hi there Campo) - Steven's way of evening it up is on the scoreboard. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:40 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

George Harris wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:

Good call, but he had the initiative to be the one to speak.

Kouta might be doing a great job off-field as leader, but as someone said maybe he's too nice to be the one to deliver a kick up the ass. Stevens appears more than able to do this.

Makes you appreciate the leadership we did have in the 90's with Sticks, but also Harry Madden's call at 3/4 time in the 95 Prelim and SOS's speech in the 99 prelim.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:45 pm 
Horrie Clover

AGRO wrote:
thehalford wrote:

Great effort by Stevens to get up without batting an eyelid from that bump - many other players would have spent the rest of the day trying to even it up (hi there Campo) - Steven's way of evening it up is on the scoreboard. :wink:

Spot on.

Stevens is all class.

Dare say that his response to the shirtfront will have a big bearing on his younger team mates attitudes in the coming weeks. I don't know why, but I think his actions will leave a lasting impression.

Surely our next captain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:30 pm 
Robert Walls

so much for stevens being "soft"

like we are told all the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:38 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Before this season started I was big "Teague for captain" fan, but seeing in these first few games the way Stevo responds when the going gets tough, he has won me over.
Kouta's got it for as long as he wants it in the meantime though imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:38 pm 
Garry Crane

camelboy wrote:
I think Stevens will go down as a club legend as is most likely our next premiership captain.

Without a doubt CB ..... definitely next Captain after Adonis retires :wink:

I have been saying that all along ....
He deserves the Captaincy and is an inspirational leader to the young guys and all around him.

Stevo .......... you are a LEGEND and we are so proud to have him !!!!!!!

"Mark Williams ........... YOU WERE WRONG" !!!!!!! :lol:

Should be interesting Sat night !!!!!!!

Last edited by Aphrodite on Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:40 pm 
John Nicholls

I'd expect two more years from Kouta.
This one included.
Obviously the decision will fall on Kouta, but if I were him I'd look at handing the captaincy over at the end of the year to Nick while still having Kouta in the leadership group in his final year.

The way he conducted himself on Saturday was fantastic and something that all our younger blokes should be inspired by.