Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Which word do you prefer in our club song?
They like to send UP 51%  51%  [ 73 ]
They like to send US 49%  49%  [ 70 ]
Total votes : 143
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:40 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I've been lucky enough to have had the opportunity to sing the song more than most Carlton supporters this year.

Last Christmas a relative who's never given me anything worthwhile gave me a $50 bottle of red and a keyring in the shape of a torso wearing a CFC jumper that plays the club song.

It'd drive me nuts as a keyring (too big) but I now keep it by the phone at work. When the inevitable telemarketing calls begin I ask politely if they're telemarketing and when it becomes clear that they are ("No I'm not trying to sell you anything - I'm offering you an opportunity to purchase something!") I give them a blast from the keyring.

Not sure what they make of it in Bangalore though. :lol:

Mort Sahl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

St.Kilda's theme song used to be "I do like to be beside the sea side".... I shit you not. I have a list of the theme songs of all the VFL clubs in the 40s or 50s.... A lot of them have changed... Carlton's is one that hasn't (besides maybe the US/UP thing)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:17 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The Tyrant wrote:
St.Kilda's theme song used to be "I do like to be beside the sea side".... I shit you not. I have a list of the theme songs of all the VFL clubs in the 40s or 50s.... A lot of them have changed... Carlton's is one that hasn't (besides maybe the US/UP thing)

I do like to be beside the seaside is better then the piss poor excuse they have for a song at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:40 pm 
Bruce Doull

Wild Blue Yonder wrote:
this is what's wrong with the club. It's stuck in the past playing 100+ year old songs. We're a joke.

We've been left behind - look at Freo and West Coast and geez Adelaide. You don't hear those clubs playing 100 year old songs. They've moved on.
We need to learn from them not keep our heads in the sand and suffer the consequences.
Until Smorgon and his rabble can see the way forward we'll be smashed because of this. It futility to keep on doing the same old thing. Might've worked in the late m60s, 70s and 80s but not anymore.

Its an anachronism that must go. No kid is going to hum a 100 yr old tune. Tell me a kid who wants that on their mp3?

We could get Kanye or Fiddy to do something and move with the times. Until this club gets it right we will not improve. The whole place needs a clean out and start again.
The only blokes that know the words are Whitnall and Stevens. Says something doesn't it?

fair dinkum...

That a vote for "send up" from WBY. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I've been a mad Carlton supporter since the 60's, and have never seen it written as 'send us' in all those decades since.

Send up !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Considering that the next line of the song is:

Quote:
We’ll keep our end up

you'd reckon that 'send up' rhymes better with 'end up' than 'send us' does!

Always thought it was Send Up, never knew there was any doubt to it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:25 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

It was "send up", but I suspect it was changed with the TV/players singing as "send us"

"Send up" makes that line ambiguous in todays speak.....
(alt meaning is that the other champions send us up but we'll keep our ends up)

(like the five yer old's book/poem I was reading to my little one which has a chorus of "yo ho, yo ho, yo ho").

If my memory serves...a bout 3 years back...probably as part of the heritage round there was a write up in the paper about the original songs, when they were introduced to the club, how the music was chosen.....

Still think the Brisbane Bears song (Mike Brady...of course) was the best (worst) song of all time.....Actually the one and only reason that Brisbane was so despearte to merge was to ditch the song!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:54 pm 
Craig Bradley

Wild Blue Yonder wrote:
this is what's wrong with the club. It's stuck in the past playing 100+ year old songs. We're a joke.

We've been left behind - look at Freo and West Coast and geez Adelaide. You don't hear those clubs playing 100 year old songs. They've moved on.
We need to learn from them not keep our heads in the sand and suffer the consequences.
Until Smorgon and his rabble can see the way forward we'll be smashed because of this. It futility to keep on doing the same old thing. Might've worked in the late m60s, 70s and 80s but not anymore.

Its an anachronism that must go. No kid is going to hum a 100 yr old tune. Tell me a kid who wants that on their mp3?

We could get Kanye or Fiddy to do something and move with the times. Until this club gets it right we will not improve. The whole place needs a clean out and start again.
The only blokes that know the words are Whitnall and Stevens. Says something doesn't it?

fair dinkum...

how could you even suggest that we change our club song?

its hardly the problem at our club, you're just creating a problem.

the first song on my mp3 player is the carlton song and if we changed it i would never even sing it.

i hope you're just joking coz i know a lot of people love our club song and i've never heard anyione complain about it before.

Last edited by true_blue3 on Mon Sep 26, 1981 5:07 pm; edited 92 times in total

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:03 pm 
Garry Crane

Anyone remember the 'new' Carlton theme song played just as the Blues ran onto the ground at the 1993 Grand Final?
What a turkey that was....all Carlton supporters at the ground hated it. Players were so disheartnened that they didn't even bother trying to win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

da dada da dah wrote:
Anyone remember the 'new' Carlton theme song played just as the Blues ran onto the ground at the 1993 Grand Final?
What a turkey that was....all Carlton supporters at the ground hated it. Players were so disheartnened that they didn't even bother trying to win.

At one stage back in the late 70's as well as playing our traditional club song "We are the Navy Blues" they used to play "Blue is the Colour, Football is the Game" as well, after a win. This I believe is the Chelsea Club Song.

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:27 pm 
Wayne Johnston

we need a poll...

i vote send up.

i used to play for a team that had the same song and we sang send up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:04 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

AGRO wrote:
da dada da dah wrote:

At one stage back in the late 70's as well as playing our traditional club song "We are the Navy Blues" they used to play "Blue is the Colour, Football is the Game" as well, after a win. This I believe is the Chelsea Club Song.

FYI - at the start of the 89 season the players sang 'Blue is the Colour' on a membership tape. I think I still have it somewhere. This song was played quite often in the early 80s after our theme song when we had won. The bluebirds also used to have their own song - good memories that period of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:04 pm 
Ken Hunter

I don't think we need a poll on this one.

However the lyrics were originally written, is what we stick with! It's the grandest song of all! It would be horrrible to change just because people have beeen making a mistake with the words in recent times and 'have gotten used to it'.

From the responses so far, it's becoming clearer that the original words were 'send up'. Good!!

It would seem that whoever painted 'us' on the change room board at Princes Park and typed them on the CFC website etc etc were misinformed.

Let's get it right. Look forward to the results of your research Jarusa, and then the club can be told to change it back to what it once was and still should be.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The Tyrant wrote:

It was actually "We do like to play beside the seaside" and in Milne and Montagna's case that certainly was very true. :roll:

It also suffered from the same problem as their current song - it has no second verse. I suppose when they get a decent history they might be able to think of a second verse as well. :roll:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:09 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Interesting.

Because the last few years wins are far and between, I've actually got to sing the song when they run it so I don't lose the words... will never happen I don't think.

But lately, I've been singing "Send us", but then I'll sing "Send Up" the second time round.

I'm pretty certain it's "Send Up", but I have said "Send Us" a number of occasions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:12 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I haven't got a @#$%&! clue how it goes anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Just heard back from Stephen Williamson and this is the info I got:

The one that I'm most happy with is that it was written by Agnes Wright and her cousin Irene McEldrew (Agnes mother was Dan's Minogue sister Dorrie, so her uncle was Dan Minogue) the then coach of Carlton (1929-1934) and was written around 1929 to 1931 when Lily of Laguna was again a popular song in Australia. Agnes lived in Middle Park/Albert Park and have several Carlton players boarding with them like Soapy Vallence and Eric Huxtable etc. One day after training/or a good win these Carlton players "demoaned the fact that Carlton didn't have a theme song". So Agnes and Irene composed the Old Dark Navy Blues (with these players?). Another claim is it was written by Jeffrey and Anne Hales (but I have doults about this).

The football Record in 2004 went with the Dan Minogue's link.

The first list I had was from a 1960's (pre 1968) Chip company mini wall chart with a caricature of Ron Barassi and list of senior premierships and runners up and the theme song and it had "They like to send us."

Before the 2003 (?) season they had an open day at Optus Oval, Princes Park and they had sheets with Carlton theme song words and again it was "With all the champions they like to send us"

-----------

So looks like 'us' might be in with a show again.

Like I said before I have a 60's record that says 'up' so it looks like this question may have been around for decades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:04 pm 
Ken Hunter

Jarusa wrote:
Just heard back from Stephen Williamson and this is the info I got:

The one that I'm most happy with is that it was written by Agnes Wright and her cousin Irene McEldrew (Agnes mother was Dan's Minogue sister Dorrie, so her uncle was Dan Minogue) the then coach of Carlton (1929-1934) and was written around 1929 to 1931 when Lily of Laguna was again a popular song in Australia. Agnes lived in Middle Park/Albert Park and have several Carlton players boarding with them like Soapy Vallence and Eric Huxtable etc. One day after training/or a good win these Carlton players "demoaned the fact that Carlton didn't have a theme song". So Agnes and Irene composed the Old Dark Navy Blues (with these players?). Another claim is it was written by Jeffrey and Anne Hales (but I have doults about this).

The football Record in 2004 went with the Dan Minogue's link.

The first list I had was from a 1960's (pre 1968) Chip company mini wall chart with a caricature of Ron Barassi and list of senior premierships and runners up and the theme song and it had "They like to send us."

Before the 2003 (?) season they had an open day at Optus Oval, Princes Park and they had sheets with Carlton theme song words and again it was "With all the champions they like to send us"

-----------

So looks like 'us' might be in with a show again.

Like I said before I have a 60's record that says 'up' so it looks like this question may have been around for decades.

Thanks for the interesting update Jarusa.

The earlier the evidence, the more convincing of course. I'm not sure that the people involved today in these sorts of things always have a genuine interest in tradition but just happy to go with the flow...

A decades-old conundrum maybe, but there can only be one right answer, can't there?

Look forward to further UPdates.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

Good work Jarr............

at least we now have an arnswer.............!

great stuff.......!

kindest regards tommi

now........which one was it again...............?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Well a page dedicated to the club song has now been created in the Blueseum.

http://www.blueseum.org/cfc/tiki-index. ... =Club+Song

Feel free to add to it if you think it needs some more info.

Comes complete with a 1920's version of 'Lily of Laguna' streamed from the site.

The lyrics are rather quaint.

"I know she likes me ..... because she said so"
:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next