Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:52 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

From today's Herald Sun.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

I was staggered at Sheahan's sookie la-la comments, on the most recent episode of On the couch, in reference to Mick Malthouse's press conference after the Essendon* game last week.

What a friggin joke! :garthp:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:53 pm 
Bob Chitty

An opposition coach will always defend someone who they perceive as not being a threat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:58 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Quote:
Wallace said the media had been unfair to Pagan and Thompson with claims their weight loss was the result of poor on-field performances.

I didn't realised the penguin had lost weight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:09 pm 
Bert Deacon

Now we have a coach using a journalist to criticise journalists for writing about coaches on non footy related issues. :?

Somebody needs to tell the papers to keep this shit our of the sports section!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:01 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Knackers wrote:
Now we have a coach using a journalist to criticise journalists for writing about coaches on non footy related issues. :?

Somebody needs to tell the papers to keep this shit our of the sports section!

Wallace's willingness to continually comment on the situation of rival clubs and coaches staggers me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:11 pm 
Rod Ashman

Terry Wallace does make a good point though when he says of Denis:

Quote:
"This is the bloke who has a better record than nearly any person with junior-age players and people are saying he can't develop kids. What is that based on? Base it on facts and be careful of opinion."

Of course, just because he has a decent track record when it comes to youth development doesn't mean he shouldn't be open to criticism. Still, a pertinent point nevertheless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:18 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Blues2005 wrote:

Quote:
"This is the bloke who has a better record than nearly any person with junior-age players and people are saying he can't develop kids. What is that based on? Base it on facts and be careful of opinion."

Of course, just because he has a decent track record when it comes to youth development doesn't mean he shouldn't be open to criticism. Still, a pertinent point nevertheless.

Maybe "player development" has developed further since those days :idea:
Is Denis up with the pace of 'change" :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

Wallace from the outside to me is someone who I dont particularly like as a coach.He has an over inflated opinion of himself as a footy expert.Personal opinion which others would disagree with.The point is coaches in the media should IMO only comment about their club.Wallace seems a plastic individual.Fake tan,plenty of grecian 2000 running through the hair.And that voice.How can a player put up with hearing that all year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:32 pm 
Geoff Southby

One thing Pagan seems to have injected into each and every player is how hard they go at it. There are no squibs(Josh Hunts) at Carlton. Hopefully the younger players can take that through their whole careers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

TheGame wrote:
One thing Pagan seems to have injected into each and every player is how hard they go at it. There are no squibs(Josh Hunts) at Carlton. Hopefully the younger players can take that through their whole careers.

You are gagging aren't you i dont think I have ever seem a Carlton side that carry as many handbags

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:54 pm 
Robert Walls

i'm with you the GAME - our current bunch of young blokes do go at it pretty hard.

I go back to our sides between 88 and 92 and we had some softies (even think back to 75-78.....particularly when we had the likes of Stewart in charge)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sydney Blue wrote:
TheGame wrote:

You are gagging aren't you i dont think I have ever seem a Carlton side that carry as many handbags

Apart from the obvious Houla and perhaps Stevens I can't see many other soft players at Carlton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
TheGame wrote:

No Campo for the first time in ten seasons so you're wrong on that point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:01 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blues2005 wrote:

Quote:

Slug Jordan has a great record developing kids as well. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:20 pm 
Bert Deacon

any coach at any club will do somethings good and somethings not so good and what you hope for is they do more good things - this translates into on field sucess

i think Pagan has struggled on a lot of fronts but developing the kids is one thing he has done very well
a) he does protect them and does not overly expose them to physical pressures that can cause damage, limiting their game time
b) despite my fustration at not seeing him play them as often as I would like, he is all about developing the 'right to play' in the seniors - which is a great cultural trait. All the best clubs in the world across all codes have this in common - competition for places.
c) the off the ball work and displine he is teaching the younger ones is excellent and really is Denis's strength. He does this in a hard way and the older guys struggle but the young ones lap it up and this will put them in good stead for the rest of their career.

Pagan may be old fashioned but some of the basics of football never change and this is what he has built his success on and is instilling into the young kids.

On this point Wallace is correct.[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:24 pm 
Craig Bradley

keogh wrote:
Wallace from the outside to me is someone who I dont particularly like as a coach.He has an over inflated opinion of himself as a footy expert.Personal opinion which others would disagree with.The point is coaches in the media should IMO only comment about their club.Wallace seems a plastic individual.Fake tan,plenty of grecian 2000 running through the hair.And that voice.How can a player put up with hearing that all year.
Wish he was coaching us, especially when he was available at the same time as Pagan was in 2002. He or Eade, alos available at the time, would've done me nicely. Jack final legacy, leaving us with Pagan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:

london blue wrote:
i'm with you the GAME - our current bunch of young blokes do go at it pretty hard.

I go back to our sides between 88 and 92 and we had some softies (even think back to 75-78.....particularly when we had the likes of Stewart in charge)

Sydney Blue you have to be joking (and I was just starting to like you :P ) london blue is on the money and he is half a world away from the action to you.

With Jesse Smith in the side an even harder edge is being added.

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:16 pm 
Rod Ashman

london blue wrote:

Yeah, we were pretty bloody soft in those first 6 rounds of '78 :lol:

Bring back the laurel wreath logo!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sigfried wrote:
london blue wrote:

Yeah, we were pretty bloody soft in those first 6 rounds of '78 :lol:

But we went on to win the next 34 games out of 41, and collect the 1979 Premiership on the way.

Jezza gave the boys jobs and they went out and did them. :wink:

Winston Churchill