Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Blue Steel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:57 am 
Ken Hunter

3 of our best all time 3/4 time comebacks have been under Denis. Rouds 7 & 11 last year and Saturday's triumph.

During the Wizzfizz we withstood Melbourne's comeback and West Coast's comeback.

This is a far cry from the buttersoft side Denis had inherited. This side has balls (I'd say blue balls but the image just doesn't work :lol: )

When Denis arrived at this club we had lost our way and become a soft bunch of ballet dancers that could spin the ball ring-a-ring-a rosie but had no real fight, no guts let. When we went down, we lay down and showed our bellies like kicked dogs.

He took a broom to the list and began to teach his players his way.

Now I remember much being made of his way, the smart-arise comments about an old gameplan, about beings a '1' trick' pony about his success being based on Carey and so on.

But Denis bases his success on a simple thing. Learn how to play this game in it's simpliest and most successful format and even when you are down you are always in the contest. It means we have this ability to come back and win games we should not win - sound familiar? Yet we have no Carey. We do have a forward line that can kick goals quickly when things click! Sound familiar?????

Denis's gameplan is fantastic because it keeps you in the contest and because when you get on top you score rapidly.

Plus he has given this bunch a steely resolve which means they are not out of the contest. Denis is not trying to reinvent the wheel; he is simply streamlining it, reducing friction, perfecting the circle, making sure it runs as smoothly as possible.

Under Denis we have become far more dangerous, we are a side full of belief, we have Blue Steel running through our veins. We are always a chance!

Under denis we are fast becoming a power again and it is because of Denis, because of his gameplan, his style, his vision and his ability to stir the players so that they'll play for him and for each other.

Perhaps now the Denis detractors will remain silent and watch open-mouthed as this team gathers momentum. This team is going places. And boy isn't it a fun journey to be part of!

Go Blues!

Post subject: Re: Blue Steel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:51 am 
Rod Ashman

dannyboy wrote:
Perhaps now the Denis detractors will remain silent

DB you are preaching to the converted. When was the last time you saw a Denis detractor. The entire footy world is in awe of the bloke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:59 am 
Ken Hunter

just reminding all those who did whinge! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:59 am 
Harry Vallence

Our new assistant coach...

NOW YOU'RE JUST SOME CLUB THAT I USED TO KNOW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:51 pm 
Ken Hunter

Looks like livo when he did his ankle 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:12 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I prefer Magnum.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:17 pm 
Rod Ashman

I prefer laTEAGUEra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:32 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

fullmont101 wrote:
I prefer laTEAGUEra.

IT'S THE SAME LOOK

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:48 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I was thinking about this today. When Denis came we cleaned a lot of players out and recruited young players who could improve and basically put a broom through some most of our older players who weren't going to be around in 5 years...old favourite's like Ratten and Hicky were gone :evil: :evil: :evil: I guess they were as much to injury as anything else though.

Allan, Murphy, Beaumont all left and Hulmey left at the end of last season.

This was necessary for the club to go forward, short term pain.

Watching Hawthorn and Richmond today and started thinking about Barker and Holland playing, comparing them to Franklin who looks the goods. That got me thinking about Richmond recruiting Mark Graham.

Different philosophies on re-building a club. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we've recruited anyone over 24.

I'm glad we've stuck with it, it'll be interesting to see where Hawthorn and Richmond are in 5 years.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:03 pm 
Ken Hunter

Heavs wrote:
I prefer Magnum.

Blue steel

Magnum

hmmm, blue steel or magnum... tough call..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:20 pm 
Rod Ashman

I gotta go with Magnum, ony cause he turns left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:49 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue steel...cat couldn't scratch it 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:02 pm 
Garry Crane

People who think the only reason Denis was successful at North was because he had Carey are very simplistic. From memory, North actually had a very high win-loss ratio when Carey wasn't in the team. Denis had that team as a highly drilled unit and that is where he's taking us too.

Another trait that Denis had drummed into North and is now appearing with us is the mentality of playing the game to the very last second of the last quarter and never giving up. There were many many games that North won when they were absolutely out of it and never should have come close to winning, yet they still fell over the line. And we are starting to do the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

Nice post dannyboy.

There certainly were a few Pagan detractors, probably because our good comebacks are countered by some of the clubs worst defeats that have been under the tutelege of Denis. However, the worst of them were in 2003, with a few blowouts still in 2004. I get the feeling any blowouts will be few and far betweein 2005.