Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:19 am 
Trevor Keogh

Aphrodite wrote:
Quotes from the Bombers Board on Big Footy .....

Quote:
And to see Hirdy humiliated in the first quarter like that :twisted:

Quote:
that was the ********ing worse loss in the history of the Essendon* Football Club

Quote:
I am so ********ing angry at that ********weak last quarter display.And don't get me started on playing Hird as a key defender

Quote:
As for the last quarter..... let us never speak of it again.
Pathetic

Quote:
Essendon* owe me a new radio. I just kicked my current one to smithereens
And while there at it they can come around to my house and patch up the hole i put in the wall :lol:

Quote:
However, we will be in absolute crisis mode if we cannot beat the Hawks next week...

Quote:
And James Hird, Lets Not Mince Words His Career Is Over, Absolutely Over :twisted:

AND THE BEST IS SAVED FOR LAST ................

Quote:
Did anyone have flashbacks to the 99 prelim late in the final quarter? :twisted:

"PRICELESS"

Aphro you have me in stitches here!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

The biggest positive is what Denis must have said to the boys at 3 Quarter time... he sure seemed to scare the crap out of them... they starting hitting targets, and kicking straight... It was beautiful...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:20 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Whoever that goose is that said Hird's career is over is an absolute idiot (even for a Dons supporter).

As much as I hate him he's a fuggen legend. That mark he took in the last quarter was one of the best defensive grabs under pressure that I've seen.

Hird is Essendon*, and when he retires they are officially finished (if they're not officially finished already).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:13 am 
Craig Bradley

Elwood Blues1 wrote:
Karl Norman was towelled by Lucas but so was SOS by plugger so I am prepared to call that game as Education for the Wang boy and leave him down back...I dont think he is a FB though and performs better across half back...

Agree with most of your comments, Elwood, but not this one. Norman wasn't moved onto Lucas until late in the game, and that was after Lucas had done most of his damage.

I actually thought it was a strange match-up having Morrell on Lucas, as Lucas doesn't really take a lot of contested marks, but relies on his speed and long and accurate kicking. I would have thought Karl was the obvious match up.

I thought Karl did okay on Lucas late in the game. He was able to keep up with him on the lead, and get in some timely spoils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:50 am 
Bruce Doull

fevolaaaa wrote:
Fev in the years preceding his breakthrough (his crap years) averaged more than 3 times as many goals a game as Davies.

Fev plays every game (bar that one bizarre game on Gehrig) at full forward. Davies has played forward pocket and as a tagger. Bit unfair to compare the two I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:00 am 
Craig Bradley

For the past few years we have been suggesting that Davies can't find enough of the pill.

He now seems to have turned the corner in that respect. He seems to find the ball and his peripheral vision is phenomenal and some of his slick handpasses have resulted in goals over the past several weeks.

The only problem with Davies' game is his kicking for goal at this stage IMO. In Fev's first few years he got plenty of shots and kicked atrociously too.

As others have said 4 shots on goal a game is a great return for a small forward. Sooner or later he will start kicking 3.1 or 4.0 and then all the nay-sayers will be hailing him as a hero.

Remember its Collingwood next week!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:33 am 
Robert Walls

Elwood Blues1 wrote:

Ryan Houlihan..might sound funny to some but I thought he played a good game...was down on disposals but worked harder on his tackling than I have seen him before and laid some very good tackles and performed his work in a David Teague type manner.

Nice one Elwood - just had to quote you on that. :wink: Obviously he is not fully fit but he really worked his tail off and was particularly impressed with one particular piece of play. He punched a ball he should of marked looking decidedly without confidence but then immediately followed it up with a great smother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:06 pm 
Rod Ashman

I watched the last quarter about 6 times now. Highlights for me:

19.15 Fevola snaps one off two steps ... the exact moment when 22 Essendon* players and one coach realise they're going to lose. Yep, still out bunnies :lol:

18.23 Whitnall contests and snaps one ... the exact moment when Eddie, Gary Lyon and Denis Cometti (who, lets face it, are all a bit slow) realise Essendon* are going to lose.

On the whole wiggins/davies questions I think people see what they want to see.

19.45 Wiggins goes back with the flight of the ball - the way only Wiggins or Teague can - and marks in front of Soloman, setting the tone for the whole quarter. Saves a goal in win by less that a goal. That pretty obvious courage.

5.32 Waite, Norman and Fevola force Essendon* back 30 metres with sustain pressure. Davies puts his head over the ball and gets one in the back. Disses off to Stevens from the free who pumps it foward to Deluca for the sealer. Davies creates a goal in a win by less than a goal. It was less obvious than the Wiggins mark, but had equal impact on the outcome of the game.

As other have said, in the last 30 seconds after Campo bombs long to the middle of the ground, Davies also makes two contests and lays two other tackles.

At the end of the day, I think the Betts/Davies rotation is working, and it's making our forward line Fev/Lance centric and pretty dangerous. If we can have Betts and Davies kicking 2-3 a week each in addition to whatever Fevola, Whitnall and Deluca do then opposition defensive coaches will really be scratching their heads.

Sure Davies conversion rate has been dissapointing the last two weeks but the poise and the vision is there which is what you need in a small crumbing forward. Like someone else pointed out, Fevola's set shots were pretty woeful early in his career. Maybe he should give Davies some tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

They'll expose you
When they snow you
Off your feet with the crumbs they throw you
They're ferocious
And they knows just what it Takes to make a pro blush
All the umps Think he's a spy,
Its those Betts and Davies guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:16 pm 
John Nicholls

Really enjoyed Friday night, well just the last quarter!!! Will add more later but in no particular oder:

Eddie Betts!!

Justin Davies

Big Lance - go you big red fire engine!

Teague - incredible, loved the mark in the last quarter

and the "G" - what a brilliant place!!!

GoBlues

I knew we would win CB!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

Taff wrote:

I knew we would win CB!!!

Glad the lads got up for you Taff. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

Jarusa wrote:
They'll expose you
When they snow you
Off your feet with the crumbs they throw you
They're ferocious
And they knows just what it Takes to make a pro blush
All the umps Think he's a spy,
Its those Betts and Davies guys

Great work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

Elwood Blues1 wrote:
Karl Norman was towelled by Lucas

Elwood I could be wrong here but I thought Lucas already had 4 by the time Norman was shifted to him before half time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:52 pm 
John James

Elwood Blues1 wrote:
Ryan Houlihan..might sound funny to some but I thought he played a good game...was down on disposals but worked harder on his tackling than I have seen him before and laid some very good tackles and performed his work in a David Teague type manner.

Houla pulled up very lame at one stage in the first qtr. Went off soon after - didn't expect to see him again for the night. In that context, anything he could give us was a bonus.