Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:32 pm 
Horrie Clover

Just sticking with the positives...

Barnaby....thought he played a very good game...taking some good marks in defence and realy helping out our backmen.

Stevo....just keeps getting the ball...very rarly has a bad game.

Eddie B..inspirational in his efforts and enthusiasm...kicks goals and keeps pressure on the opposition....hardly ever looses his footing

Campo...did some realy good work when he was needed most...when the pressure was on.

Scotland....I thought did some good work late getting clearances..

De Luca...definatly his best game and think he will gain a lot of confidence from this game....

Perseverance....by the rest of the boys...didn't drop their heads when things weren't going well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:45 pm 
Robert Walls

Some good to come out of the game for me was Deluca (just go back on the mark another 10 metres and get a decent run-up), Betts (I love eddie), Davies for his continued contesting of the pill - same with Carrazzo.
Norman was lost playing on Cupido and then did a pretty good job on Lucas (who had some flukey luck - and was also BOG)

Like French's work - just kept trying.
Like Campo's head set.

But our disposal is crap. We just cannot hit a target with any semblence of pressure.
Decision making entering the F50 is crap. We're already placing too much emphasis on scoring through Lance and Brendan.

We lacked a lot of passion and intensity until the last quarter. I want more than a quarter of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

7dominator wrote:
Just watched the last quarter again.Might i suggest people have a look at Davies work in the last 40 seconds.He would have been involved around a dozen times.Tackles ,knock-ons etc.Did not stop contesting!

Agreed 7dom, he's not quite stringing a full 4 quarters together, and has obvious goal kicking improvement in him (despite that cracking snap from the Lappin pocket), but his work rate in clsoing out a tight game was bloody impressive. He's starting to look like he has belief in himself I think and appears to have an improved body language about him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:29 pm 
Craig Bradley

Yes I was very pleased with Justins game last night. He was in an under a lot.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:30 pm 
Rod Ashman

Seeing Lance Whitnall still running strongly in the last quarter showed that he is such an important part of a successful Carlton team.

Carrazzo - once again displayed the same intensity as the Wizz Cup - something that has been lacking the last 2 weeks from other players. Knows how to get the ball & has pace..

DeLuca - caned in the last quarter.

Nick Stevens last quarter.

The whole last quarter damn it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

Just wanted to say, Essenscum are officially our bitches!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thought French worked tirelessly all night and was our best (except for a couple of mistakes that cost us 2 goals)

The belief in the playing group to come back from such a fair way back will instill confidence for next week and beyond.

Carazzo was good all night, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:03 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Wangers wrote:
Just wanted to say, Essenscum are officially our bitches!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol I reckon I've wanted to respond to every quote in this thread but this takes the cake :D :D :D

I reckon Davies was great...1.3 is easily 3.1 and whoever commented on his work in the last 40secs was spot on, that tackle on Welsh showed he has a bit of mongrel in him.

Positives....Barnaby, Eddie, Lance, Fev, Davies, Stevens, Kouta :D De Luca, Wiggins

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:30 pm 
Rod Ashman

Davies again defended :roll:

His in and under work is no better than anyone else's on our list, and he doesn't have a 100th of Wiggins courage.

I don't like to bag any of our players but it's awfully frustrating to see him get game after game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:37 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I'm not sure how you can question Davies courage...maybe I'm missing the occassions he doesn't have a red hot dip, but I don't think you can deny the times where he absolutely lays his body on the line...

As for how he gets game after game...4 scoring shots two weeks in a row from a FP splitting playing time with Eddie Betts is a pretty impressive effort, despite his inaccuracy

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:53 pm 
Rod Ashman

TruBlueBrad wrote:
As for how he gets game after game...4 scoring shots two weeks in a row from a FP splitting playing time with Eddie Betts is a pretty impressive effort, despite his inaccuracy

Not much more I can say. He cannot kick simple set shots and very rarely gets a lot of possession

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

Kicking set shots is something that can be taught and worked on, much harder to teach a forward pocket how to get plenty of the ball, which Davies is doing considering the position he's playing, 4 scoring shots is proof of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:03 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Agree with Frank on Andrew Carazzo....Chris Johnson style running player who is always looking to create. Made some errors but they were in the process of trying to create and he will learn..he ahs been in our best each week and has not played a bad senior game.

Simon Wiggins....ripper mark running back into traffic and set the tone for a few of our players to take some risks and back themselves....you could never doubt the courage of the wiggler.

Ryan Houlihan..might sound funny to some but I thought he played a good game...was down on disposals but worked harder on his tackling than I have seen him before and laid some very good tackles and performed his work in a David Teague type manner.

Lance..thought he led the forward line well and eventually got the rewards he deserved.

Fev...Zantuck beat him but Fev showed like all good players you only need 15 minutes to have a real impact and left the ground with his reputation intact.

Deluca....nice game from the big beanpole...has the footy smarts and kicks the goals when the heat is on....will be our version of Brendon Lade.

Karl Norman was towelled by Lucas but so was SOS by plugger so I am prepared to call that game as Education for the Wang boy and leave him down back...I dont think he is a FB though and performs better across half back...
Barnaby French was very good but you would expect him to be considering Essendon* couldnt provide him with any decent opposition.
Does well drifting down back and filled the holes nicely when the heat was on in the last quarter..goos combination with Deluca who does his best work up forward.

Eddie Betts....genuine goalsneak who gives you another avenue to goal...great selection Denis.

Finally hats off to Kouta...clearance king.. and provided leadership...great work...

Cant get a handle on Justin Davies..cameo perfomer who excites with some goals and then frustrates with poor disposal and sloppy decison making...

Great win ...need Livo and Thornton back though..need to shore up down back as we lack height and size and eventaully we will get caught out.
Lucas was a one man band and nearly beat us....Tarrant and Rocca may prove a handful especially if Collingwood can get another tall option down forward ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:05 pm 
Rod Ashman

Wojee wrote:
Kicking set shots is something that can be taught and worked on, much harder to teach a forward pocket how to get plenty of the ball, which Davies is doing considering the position he's playing, 4 scoring shots is proof of that.

You don't think we've given him long enough to learn how to kick the ball?

Clarke is an excellent ball getter as well, and it was said we could fix his disposal. It just doesn't work like that.

Denis will wake up to him sooner or later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:10 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

fevolaaaa wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:

Not much more I can say. He cannot kick simple set shots and very rarely gets a lot of possession

It will come...I don't think its an issue, he kicked 3 in a quarter twice last year....its not like he's a serial bad kicker...not sure on his number of disposals, but a FP isn't meant to get 20 a game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

TruBlueBrad wrote:
fevolaaaa wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:

It will come...I don't think its an issue, he kicked 3 in a quarter twice last year....its not like he's a serial bad kicker...not sure on his number of disposals, but a FP isn't meant to get 20 a game

Yeah he is a serial bad kicker, I keep saying "he'll come good" but I've finally given up on that. He's been living off his 3 in one quarter for quite a while now. It's not as if he's a serial goal kicker...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:24 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

If you looked at Fev's goal kicking before 2003 you'd find his % was pretty poor I think, but he always had lots of shots at goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:32 pm 
Rod Ashman

Some stats on Justin...

He's scored an average of .5 goals a game over his career.

He's had an average of .8125 scoring shots a game over his career.

In 2004 alone this "rocketed up" to .833 goals a game.

A forward can't get by with stats like that.

Fev in the years preceding his breakthrough (his crap years) averaged more than 3 times as many goals a game as Davies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:38 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Fev is a key position forward, Davies is a FP...his starts are never going to equal Fev's.

Look at the progress Davies is making

Quote:
He's had an average of .8125 scoring shots a game over his career.

Up from .8125 to 4.000...up over 400% :D

Denis will decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:55 pm 
Garry Crane

Quotes from the Bombers Board on Big Footy .....

Quote:
And to see Hirdy humiliated in the first quarter like that :twisted:

Quote:
that was the ********ing worse loss in the history of the Essendon* Football Club

Quote:
I am so ********ing angry at that ********weak last quarter display.And don't get me started on playing Hird as a key defender

Quote:
As for the last quarter..... let us never speak of it again.
Pathetic

Quote:
Essendon* owe me a new radio. I just kicked my current one to smithereens
And while there at it they can come around to my house and patch up the hole i put in the wall :lol:

Quote:
However, we will be in absolute crisis mode if we cannot beat the Hawks next week...

Quote:
And James Hird, Lets Not Mince Words His Career Is Over, Absolutely Over :twisted:

AND THE BEST IS SAVED FOR LAST ................

Quote:
Did anyone have flashbacks to the 99 prelim late in the final quarter? :twisted:

"PRICELESS"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:04 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Not sure what game they were watching, but even though we were 28 points down you couldn't say they were playing that well.

As Sam Newman always says look at the number of scoring shots, that tells you who is really playing well....we were up all night, it had to turn eventually.

If Carlton were up by 28 points and had 10 less scoring shots I'd be worried at 3/4 qtr time.

As for Hird's career being over lol moron's!!!!!

Hird = champion