Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:45 am 
Craig Bradley

Fantastic team performance :D and imagine if we put 4 quarters of football together instead of 45 minutes of football
The win a testament to the efficiency of the Pagan game plan
Positives
Did you see the looks on their faces of the bummers supporters when we won priceless
Lance Whitnall -even though it wasnt his night early kept persisting and eventually the tide turned and 3 great 4th quarter goals - a number of contested marks none better than in the goal square in the last .

Nick Stevens similarly brilliant last quarter when he had to work hard all night to stay in the contest after getting a big corkie early

Eddie Betts - lasted until pre season draft and is great on goals -3 and his soccer in last quarter just missed but his second efforts and pressure when he didnt have the ball excellent
Adrian De Luca 3 fine goals and a number of good marks.Seemed to do better in the ruck this week.
Andrew Carrazo really finding his niche both on ball and in defence
French another big last quarter and was strong in the middle most of the game and filled the hole well in defence
I thought Karl did a better job on lucas than morrell
Room for improvement
Must be more efficient in front of goals squandered many shots for goal and nearly cost us the match
Must hit more targets - very sloppy early
Must play more than 45 minutes of football
Out of centre beaten very badly in second and third quarters
Need livo and thorton back as soon as possible
Must ensure that you tackle mcphee and swing him round 180 degrees and he puts the ball on the ground with his two hands that we dont have a blind umpire because over 57000 knew it was holding the ball - but then again they got the lucas decision right !
You bloody beauty -done it to the bombers again
GO BLUES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:54 am 
Bruce Doull

Biggest positive for me?

The boys never gave in and ran the game out until the siren sounded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Agreed, you bloody beauty.

But I think we played better in the first 3 quarters than many here have acknowledged.

By the end of the third quarter the scum had 15.3 which is freaky kicking and 9.11 while not great, is also not that bad. 20 scoring shots to 18 meant we were always in the game.

I thought the boys put in during the first 3 quarters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:07 am 
Craig Bradley

I thought Wiggins was terrific when he was on the ground. I always thought he'd be a useful forward option on occasions. It's interesting that he's playing that role more often than not at the moment.

Carrazzo was good again. Really looks like he belongs (and hopefully his kicking will continue to improve!).

French was good. Took some nice marks, and has learnt to win some possessions. Kouta was good. De Luca was good. Stevens was good.

I thought it was good that Fev (had a really poor first half this week - much worse than last week where I thought he was okay) and Big Red persisted and didn't drop their heads, and then finally got some reward for their persistence at the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:11 am 
Robert Walls

Wojee wrote:
Biggest positive for me?

The boys never gave in and ran the game out until the siren sounded.

Absolutely spot on, its sort of Pagan bringing that Shinboner spirit of North, just never give in till the fat lady sings, Rex Hunt on 3AW gave the old fat lady for the bombers during the 3rd quarter, it came back to bite him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:12 am 
Bruce Doull

Rex Hunt is a turkey, and screw the Shinboner spirit, that was pure Bluebagger self belief.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:19 am 
Bruce Comben

Reckon we shoulda been 3 goals up at 1/4 time. Got beaten 2nd and 3rd quarters, but what a last Q. Thing is, I think this will be looked back on as just a great game of footy. Bummers had a real dip tonite and played well too.

Makes it sweeter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:20 am 
Craig Bradley

Watching the replay on Fox, it is pretty clear that we did not stop working all night, the diffence was that it all clicked in the last and we started to kick straight.

Also fitness was a factor, I thought Essendn started to tire toward the end of the 3rd and as we saw faded to nothing in the last. Whereas we just kept running.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:23 am 
Bruce Doull

Wojee wrote:
Rex Hunt is a turkey, and screw the Shinboner spirit, that was pure Bluebagger self belief.

Got it in one Wojee. I reckon Carlton of 2002-2004 may not have had the belief to come back from 28pts down at 3/4 time. But the boys last night did just that with a spirited performance.

The guys will know that they could have been in a better position, scoring mistakes hurt us dearly. But the biggest positive for me was the fact we won the game from a difficult position. We had that winning belief. With such a fighting comeback that should provide us with a great springboard for the oncoming games, I reckon we'll take a lot of out this match.

To the players, in no particular order: Lappin, Kouta, French, Carazzo, Lance, Fev, Betts, Davies (at times), Stevens, Campo, all did their jumpers proud.

Pagan is a God! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:46 am 
Robert Walls

Onya Frankie - that McPhee non-decision was unbelievable.

Another positive was Fevola's work-rate in the last quarter. Ok so it wasn't his night but one passage of play where he tackled, harassed and didn't give away a free kick saw Essendon* wilt under the sustained pressure. I get the feeling that Denis would be just as pleased seeing that as he would a six goal game from Fev.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:51 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Bird wrote:
Onya Frankie - that McPhee non-decision was unbelievable. .

Yeah apparently Gieschen has approved a new method of disposal for AFL ie. "The Try". :roll:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:13 am 
Harry Vallence

Positive was the "never say die" determination to win even when it looked like it was beyond us.

Negative was getting ourselves into that position, when really we should have beaten the Bombers by 5 goals. I don't rate Essendon*.

NOW YOU'RE JUST SOME CLUB THAT I USED TO KNOW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:22 am 
Laurie Kerr

camelboy wrote:
Got it in one Wojee. I reckon Carlton of 2002-2004 may not have had the belief to come back from 28pts down at 3/4 time. But the boys last night did just that with a spirited performance.

Please don't remind me of that Geelong match :!: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:24 am 
John James

I reckon Mr Pagan was pretty impressed by Fev's last quarter efforts too, judging by the big "cuddle" Denis gave him walking into the rooms after the match!

Well done big fella.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:37 pm 
Craig Bradley

The only reason I even watched the final quarter is that I had the game in Adelaide last year at the back of my mind. I figured if Fev could work his way into the game early in the quarter the guys would gain a bit of confidence and that's exactly how it happened.

Let's not kid ourselves, though, we were made to look foolish for three quarters by a team that should not have been within 5 goals of us. The lack of intensity and the level of errors were embarrassing; but I am hoping the amazing turnaround in the last quarter will give us some momentum going into next week.

Post subject: Reward for effort
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

Our 1 st quarter and last quarters were superb.Reckon our 2 nd and 3 rd quarters were far better than they appeared.We made some crucial errors at the most inopurtune times which seemed to end in 2 goal turnarounds.But ap[art from these complete stuffups,i thought we we were going in hard for the ball and kept toiling away and most importantly,not dropping our heads.We persisted and persisted till eventually the tide turned.Reckon we got due reward for our hard work in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:55 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Agree with all the previous comments but the main positive for me was the leadership shown by our no.16.

After giving Camporeale a spray after last weeks game I thought he showed fantastic leadership last night in that he got us out of the shit several times in defence showing experience, poise and skill.
When niggled by the opposition he kept his cool and got on with job.
Fantastic game by Campo last night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:21 pm 
John James

I thought during the first three quarters, and particularly in the third, Essendon* were harder at the ball than we were, ie they showed more desperation. When the Blues showed that committment in the last, everything else fell into place.

Also, same as last week in that the opposition was allowed unfettered run down the flanks, and that missed shots for goal lowered the teams confidence, and ability to gain the momentum. If a few of those shots had been converted, we should've won easily.

The positives for me was the fighting spirit shown in the last, Eddie the Exceptionals continuing magic, Lance's contribution around the ground (that pack mark in the goal square was inspiring), and Kouta & Barney continuing their good form from the first round.

Am I right in saying that Davies and Betts rotate with each other off the bench? I reckon that is a formidable tag team, if only Justin could be more reliable with the set shots.

I hope Walker does well in the Ants today, and comes in next week with Chambers & Luke. Can't wait for next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:24 pm 
John James

Forgot to mention De Luca played an impressive game, particularly when forward when Lace and Fev were a bit quiet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:57 pm 
Harry Vallence

Just watched the last quarter again.Might i suggest people have a look at Davies work in the last 40 seconds.He would have been involved around a dozen times.Tackles ,knock-ons etc.Did not stop contesting!