Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

I find it interesting that the AFL are now saying the Victorian sides are suffering by not having there own homeground. :?

I know they wanted us to move ALL our games but don't you people find this intriguing, or is it just me again?

Anyway couple of articles that have me totally seeing RED again, especially this statement by Demefroot.

Quote:
Another concern is the net return clubs receive from their stadium deals, with Demetriou admitting that non-Victorian clubs fare better than their Victorian counterparts because they negotiate their own stadium deals

http://www.thewest.com.au/20050401/spor ... 30833.html

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&s ... eid=193020

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

And yet it was clear to all but the Carlton faithful, that nobody wanted to watch games at Princes Park ... catch-22.

For all of the AFL's speak they aim to provide an equal playing field (pardon the pun) for all clubs, it is clear that just as there are benefits for being based in Victoria that the other clubs miss out on, there will be benefits for the non-Victorian clubs to enjoy as well.

It seems to me that the Victorian based clubs think they should get all the perks and the other clubs should just suffer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:52 pm 
Craig Bradley

camelboy wrote:
And yet it was clear to all but the Carlton faithful, that nobody wanted to watch games at Princes Park ... catch-22..

dont know about that, but lets not go over old ground.

As for victorian based teams - the simple cant compete with interstate teams.

For no other reason than base supporters.

Queensland = 1 Team
NSW = 1 Team
SA = 2 Teams
WA = 2 Teams
Victoria = 10 teams.

its as simple as that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

camelboy wrote:
It seems to me that the Victorian based clubs think they should get all the perks and the other clubs should just suffer.

Thats not true. I think Carlton should get all the perks and the other clubs should just suffer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

buzzaaaah wrote:
camelboy wrote:

Thats not true. I think Carlton should get all the perks and the other clubs should just suffer.

seconded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:57 pm 
Bruce Doull

buzzaaaah wrote:
camelboy wrote:

Well, that I agree with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:02 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The Tyrant wrote:
buzzaaaah wrote:
camelboy wrote:

seconded

Why don't we just base it on the club that has the most players in the Team of the Century....seems fair to me

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

ThePrez wrote:
As for victorian based teams - the simple cant compete with interstate teams.

For no other reason than base supporters.

Queensland = 1 Team
NSW = 1 Team
SA = 2 Teams
WA = 2 Teams
Victoria = 10 teams.

its as simple as that

Well, only if it was that simple. This is the trouble, many arguments on this topic are brought down to simple statements and can be countered with just as many simple statements in return. I'm not denying that the non-Victorian clubs have some advantages over their Victorian counterparts, but it's a two way street yet this is rarely acknowledged. You only have to look at where Brisbane played their preliminary final last year, not to mention the location of the grand final, for proof of that.

1. Is there a city anywhere else in Australia that has a football "industry" as big as Melbourne's? This extends from media coverage (ie. sponsorship exposure) thru to available supporters.

2. On available supporters, due to the VFL's history, I wonder how many non-Victorians support Victorian based clubs? Take myself as an example, according to the AFL I should be following the Swans or, maybe, the Roos, yet, I contribute in my own small way to a Victorian based club every year. I wonder how many people from, say outside of South Australia, have Crows memberships. A small point I know, but just as one should not dismiss the advantages of one and two team states, one should not also deny the fact that the Victorian based clubs have their own unquie advantages too. There is a history there, that rightfully places the Victorian based clubs at an advantage to attract members. To be fair, to anyone under 20 years of age this probably doesn't apply quite so much, and yes, this advantage to the Vic based clubs will diminish over time.

3. Look at membership categories. Carlton offers a 17 game deal so, you get our 11 home games, plus our Victorian based away teams. Name me one team outside of Victoria that can offer that sort of deal to its members. Not to mention the ability for their fans to get to finals. Scott, I can see you'll reply with, if they want to watch their teams play in finals the fans should be prepared to cough up and get to the games wherever they are held. To a point I agree with you, but the law of averages will prove that at this point in time members of non-Victorian based clubs are likely to be far more out of pocket than their Victorian cousins.

4. Yes, 10 teams probably is too many in Victoria, but what is the solution? In terms of memberships I think you'd need at least 20 years, or a generation in other words, for there to be any real net benefit to potential members if any clubs were relocated, or worse, closed down. In terms of attracting sponsors, yes, having fewer teams in Victoria would no doubt alleviate some of the pressue on the available sponsorship pool, but if clubs were relocated this effect would be lessened by the fact the AFL is a national competition and a relocated club would most likely take its sponsors with them.

I know there will be plenty of holes in my comments above for pro-Victorian supporters to pick up on. I'm not attempting to provide a foolproof debate declaring that a club in ine state has a definte overall advantage to clubs from another state, merely highlighting that for every negative point that gets raised for the Victorian clubs it can be countered by an equally compelling negative for the non-Vic clubs.

I think we need to accept that the AFL is a national competition and therefore accept that by by its very nature there will be inherent inconsistencies to the pros and cons for each club, be that attracting sponsors, members or travel arrangements.

IMO there will never be a totally equal system, I'd even suggest it would be impossible to achieve such a result. How do you balance a team like Carlton with almost 140 years of history to a club like Freo with around 10 years? Yes, if I was starting a club from scratch I'd probably want to start it outside of Melbourne, but that would largely be because it would be nigh on impossible to break into a market steeped in history and traditions, which has so many positives, but its many negatives as well.

And Scott, you know as well as I do that the attendance figures at Optus Oval over the last few years show, pretty much beyond doubt, that opposition fans (as a rule) hated the place. Unfortunately, we weren't filling the ground to a sufficient capacity that enabled the club to make a financially responsible decision to remain there. Indeed one could argue that by moving to shared grounds this is one step to providing a more equitable approach to a club's ground maintenance costs, thereby negating some of the advantages that clubs like the Power and Crows have.

Anyway, I know this debate will go around in cricles for ever, and in some ways, that is just the point I am trying to make. I don't think there is a definitive position able to be declared as The Prez suggested by saying, "As for victorian based teams - they simply cant compete with interstate teams."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

What Camel said.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end