Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:10 pm 
Rod Ashman

From AFL.com.au article about Ollie Wines' refocusing on what he does best. I think this is what Crippa needs to do over the pre-season rather than trying to add more strings to his bow (which I believe will come anyway once he builds confidence from succeeding at doing what he does best):

"He doesn't have to be the outside player or the link-up player or the goalkicker.
"We've narrowed his focus as to what his strengths are and with confidence in his body and good form, it's fuelling his week-to-week consistency.
"Previously, he was trying to play the uncontested game a bit and work onto the outside and wanting to be a link-up player. He lost a little bit of sight of what his one wood is."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/651281/guess-what-ollie-s-not-doing-sparkling-wines-rare-form-explained

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cunington is a bull.
Great idea to tag him. Our tagger is Ed.

If Ed plays a similar role as last week on a wing using his engine to power forward and back, then lets just have Cripps go head on with Cunington.

Cripps vs Cunington.

I'd like Cripps to be mindful of Cunington and to try and win the contested ball. ie do what he's good at.

Cripps to rotate with Kennedy with the same focus.

Do not let Cunington dominate us.

Walsh and Dow to do their thing. Both in good form.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:38 pm 
Robert Walls

Selection is actually pretty tricky this week:

Newman - Jones - Plowman
Stocker - Weitering - Saad
Walsh - Cripps - Cottrell
Martin - Silvagni - Fisher
Owies - McKay - Betts
De Koning - Kennedy - E. Curnow
Dow - Murphy - SPS - Williams
Sub: C. Curnow

There will be no VFL this week, so you might as well play Charlie. He might not even get on the park, but if he does - imagine the spark he'd bring.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:58 pm 
Geoff Southby

CFC8795 wrote:
This has 'danger game' written all over it.

Shades of r22 2012 v Gold Coast….

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

Hope we play Stocker on Zurhaar. Will be like the old Hickmott on Archer tussle

Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

It was never a proper game of footy unless Hickey lost a tooth.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Zurhaar got hurt last game. Anyone heard any news this week?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:49 am 
Wayne Johnston

aboynamedsue wrote:
I predict we control the play early but fail to capitalise. A key Carlton player gets injured before quarter time and is subbed out. North get on top shortly before halftime and lead by 5 goals during the 3rd quarter. We come back in the last quarter and either narrowly fall in or fall short.

Cameron Zurhaar - 3 votes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:55 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I agree Bondi that Ed has been a great tagger but let's not undervalue the job Kennedy did on Adams last week.
He was disciplined and smart by negating Adams' ability to get to the ball and then Kennedy won more than his own share of it. It was an effort that most of our other mids should take notice of. He should get first crack at Cunnington this week. Plus his size will make it a decent match up.
Simpkin is the other midfield problem. He's winning heaps of ball and he's a good runner. Perhaps let him and Walsh go head to head and monitor it.
Goldstein will be our biggest headache. He's playing great footy and he always performs well against us.

Game style will be interesting. I've really liked our strategies over the past month. I don't know if it's the influence of Luke Power, if the assistants are getting more input or Teague has wised up but whatever the case, we're playing much better footy.
Our defensive mechanisms are far better (defensive communication, connection and willingness, getting back to assist the defence and in turn, giving our running defenders more opportunity), we are not being so one dimensional with our forward entries (it's not Harry or nothing), our contest work is far smarter (players are now pairing off outside the stoppages instead of everyone going in for the ball, finally!)

The one improvement I want to see is not going back to the old ways because Cripps comes back. We saw last week how using better runners in the middle improves our midfield. That shouldn't change this week. Short, sharp midfield rotations so the 2 way workrate can be maintained. Cripps come into a midfield rotation. He doesn't overwhelm it.

As I've said, I don't want Teague to be sacked. I just want him to be more flexible and contemporary in his approach. Over the past month, we've finally seen it come out. It has to continue.
This will be a huge challenge for us. North always match up well on us. There contested stuff is very good.
Let's see if the coaches hold their nerve and don't go back to looking for individual saviours instead of staying the recent course.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:58 am 
Geoff Southby

chubbyruss wrote:

Exactly my thought/concern.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
I agree Bondi that Ed has been a great tagger but let's not undervalue the job Kennedy did on Adams last week.
He was disciplined and smart by negating Adams' ability to get to the ball and then Kennedy won more than his own share of it. It was an effort that most of our other mids should take notice of. He should get first crack at Cunnington this week. Plus his size will make it a decent match up.
Simpkin is the other midfield problem. He's winning heaps of ball and he's a good runner. Perhaps let him and Walsh go head to head and monitor it.
Goldstein will be our biggest headache. He's playing great footy and he always performs well against us.

Game style will be interesting. I've really liked our strategies over the past month. I don't know if it's the influence of Luke Power, if the assistants are getting more input or Teague has wised up but whatever the case, we're playing much better footy.
Our defensive mechanisms are far better (defensive communication, connection and willingness, getting back to assist the defence and in turn, giving our running defenders more opportunity), we are not being so one dimensional with our forward entries (it's not Harry or nothing), our contest work is far smarter (players are now pairing off outside the stoppages instead of everyone going in for the ball, finally!)

The one improvement I want to see is not going back to the old ways because Cripps comes back. We saw last week how using better runners in the middle improves our midfield. That shouldn't change this week. Short, sharp midfield rotations so the 2 way workrate can be maintained. Cripps come into a midfield rotation. He doesn't overwhelm it.

As I've said, I don't want Teague to be sacked. I just want him to be more flexible and contemporary in his approach. Over the past month, we've finally seen it come out. It has to continue.
This will be a huge challenge for us. North always match up well on us. There contested stuff is very good.
Let's see if the coaches hold their nerve and don't go back to looking for individual saviours instead of staying the recent course.

Well thought out post BV.

Kennedy's return to the team has produced 5 really good games, even in the losses against Eagles and Cats (we should've won).
He's proven himself as a mainstay of the midfield group. Kennedy is 5cm taller and probably slightly heavier than Cunington, so he matches up well.

Quote:
Short, sharp midfield rotations so the 2 way work rate can be maintained. Cripps come into a midfield rotation. He doesn't overwhelm it.
THIS.

Really poignant that Cripps doesn't overwhelm. I like that word. He needs to compliment. They all do.

Agree Walsh and Simpkin go head to head.

I like Ed's running role on the wing. You didn't mention Ed's role other than allude to no need to tag to start with, and let Kennedy go head to head with Cunington. Leave Ed on a wing?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:48 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:

I am not sure whether the issue is with the instruction or with Crippa himself. Flexibility is given to the players to make decisions within the defined structure and I have felt for a while it is Crippa that his hindering the midfield as he feels he has to take responsibility rather than being part of a midfield group. So many times I see the younger players deferring to him when he is not there they take more responsibility. Will be interesting to see how it all works if he plays this week.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:

He has form , he already has had a Brad Moran game against us

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:55 pm 
Robert Walls

Bit of a rumour floating around that Kemp might get a run this week, and pretty much confirmed no Charlie.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Kemp in is great news good luck to the kid …

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

azzablue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:

Might be a good time for young Stocker to make his first tribunal visit than. I'm sure he is going to become pretty familiar with the place anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:12 pm 
Bert Deacon

put Mr undroppable plowman on zurharr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

daggs001 wrote:
azzablue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:

Might be a good time for young Stocker to make his first tribunal visit than. I'm sure he is going to become pretty familiar with the place anyway.

:lol: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:50 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:00 pm 
Ken Hunter

bluechampion wrote:
Bit of a rumour floating around that Kemp might get a run this week, and pretty much confirmed no Charlie.

Does Kemp play back and if so, who comes out or play further up the ground - is it Williams to play wing?
Does Kemp play forward as another big?

Interesting:

in: Cripps, Kemp, Murphy (sub)
out: Cottrell, Newnes, Fogarty (sub)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next