Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:32 pm 
Craig Bradley

We finished last season 4-8. We started this season 4-8. We've been very, very average over a considerable period of time. I've seen enough to know that Teague doesn't know what he's doing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:35 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Stefchook wrote:
We finished last season 4-8. We started this season 4-8. We've been very, very average over a considerable period of time. I've seen enough to know that Teague doesn't know what he's doing.

Is it time for a poll?

Mods, could you create a poll on whether Teague should stay or go?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:39 pm 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Sacking coaches is not going to solve anything. Players will need to learn everything new again and take them at least two-three years to master it. Whats the point? It could be next season we make the jump.

That is the argument that keeps me coming back to the keep Teague side.

He doesn't fill me with much confidence though.
I don't think sakcing him is gonna do much either.

Having said that I can't deal with another 12 games of this shit this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

missnaut wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Sacking coaches is not going to solve anything. Players will need to learn everything new again and take them at least two-three years to master it. Whats the point? It could be next season we make the jump.

Another 12 seems wildly optimistic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:21 pm 
Harry Vallence

WOW wrote:
Consider trading Fisher if he doesn’t or can’t play midfield

He has some value

Making him a permanent forward was a baffling decision

He looked good in first few years as a running wingman/midfielder

The other player is SPS, who has not come on and has some value. Although, it is dropping by the day if he is not playing seniors.

teague took him out of the midfield and specifically told him he would be a half forward, if memory serves.

he needs to go back into the midfield to get a handball from our inside mids - he uses the ball brilliantly and will be wasted otherwise

wouldnt surprise me if he asked for a trade if he doesnt get midfield time

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:58 am 
Ken Hands

.........and absolutely thrive when he goes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:09 am 
formerly King Kenny

We have enough kids, we need to start developing them and playing them in positions that are natural to them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:40 am 
Rod Ashman

Adam Chatfield wrote:
missnaut wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Another 12 seems wildly optimistic

Win the next 10 home and away games and then 2 finals :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:

...and that's what its looked like for a long time.

I have heard that its a case of the tail wagging the dog.

Senior players who lobbied for Teague for Coach are influencing the coach, and selection of team.
Kids are pushed to the periphery, and some are not happy.

and we are not winning.

Review is needed to change this.
This is too big for a rookie coach.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:47 am 
Banned

Its the midfield - our young midfielders are out of their depth. Setterfield, Kennedy, Dow, SPS, Cotterell, LOB - this is a list management issue. We have been yelling from the rooftops to fix the midfield and support Cripps for years...failed on getting Shiel and Coniglio and thank god for that. Got Williams and found out he can't play in the midfield. All other parts of the ground are sound imo. Its the midfield where we cant tackle and defend.To my reckoning we are three to four top quality players short of competing in the midfield.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:50 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Hate to say this, but Robbo seems to know a bit about what's going on behind closed doors.

He is pointing the finger at the players.

Last not on OTC Nick Reiwoldt said Carlton needs to send a message to the rest of the group and drop Murphy and Docherty.

I don't think dropping Docherty is the right thing.
He should be playing mid or midfield, and give up the captaincy.
He's not moving hearts and minds.

Its great that all the boys are good mates and like being together.
But they need someone to drop a bomb amongst the group.
They are conditional, and they are not playing AFL standard footy.

Where are the hard hits, the tackles, the blocks, the shepherds, the talk? There is non.
I was on the fence with a Aussie soccer player in Spain, and he could not believe the players do not talk at all.
The players have been allowed to develop these traits and that's what they have become; a product of their own making.

We failed to develop the high draft selections.
The new recruits Williams and saad go in hard and you can tell they were developed elsewhere.

Teague's game plan? That's another story.

No rebuild required.
Select players who want to play AFL at the standard expected.
Weed out the trouble makers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:01 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:
Its the midfield - our young midfielders are out of their depth. Setterfield, (scared to go in and hurt his knee again. Soft) Kennedy (Too slow for AFL. Tackles but doesn't hit hard. Limited), Dow (He turns 22 in September. just needs more intensity and urgency. Keeper), SPS (he has to be tried in the mids and HHF, and he has to play with more intensity and urgency. Time is running out.), Cotterell,(Not AFL standard yet. Skills questionable. Not strong enough body. Keeper) LOB (Can't find the ball. Not physical enough. Must see if he wants to be an AFL player. Turns 22 in October. Keeper) - this is a list management issue. We have been yelling from the rooftops to fix the midfield and support Cripps for years...failed on getting Shiel and Coniglio and thank god for that. Got Williams and found out he can't play in the midfield (I don't think Russell got him fit enough to play midfield. Can still be one imo). All other parts of the ground are sound imo. Its the midfield where we cant tackle and defend.To my reckoning we are three to four top quality players short of competing in the midfield. (Agree...to be specific, 3-4 AFL standard players, and a change of mindset for existing crew)

IMO

We have the bulk of the personnel we need to rise up the ladder. Get another ruckman to go with DeKoning ie replace Levi and Pitto.
A bonafide mid to go with Walsh. Unless Cripps lifts and improves his running game and handball skills, he's average, and just a bull in the contest. He can't kick goals except in AFLX.

A better game plan.
More avenues to goal.

No conditional players selected.
Pick players who want to stop and hurt the opposition.

A few more

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:56 am 
Banned

None of these players are good enough to play in GWS midfield and we are facing GWS next.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:15 am 
Rod Ashman

I disagree. I do not think the players we have are not up to it. I think its more above the shoulders and that can be fixed. It's amazing what a dose of confidence can do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
I disagree. I do not think the players we have are not up to it. I think its more above the shoulders and that can be fixed. It's amazing what a dose of confidence can do.

Rendell on SEN said
Quote:
“Carlton with a change of coach and a real tough, mean mindset – which we know ‘Clarko’ will provide – they’re a real chance to finish in the top four with their list.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/06/10/will-teague-be-coaching-carlton-in-2022/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:44 pm 
Banned

You cant yell at players when morale is down or you're beating a dead horse has no impact and lose dressing room.

Bolton has yelling at his players after a loss in the Clarko style and lost his job because of it - simple man management when morale is low you must and have to encourage players and work them hard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

Walsh wrote:
You cant yell at players when morale is down or you're beating a dead horse has no impact and lose dressing room.

Bolton has yelling at his players after a loss in the Clarko style and lost his job because of it - simple man management when morale is low you must and have to encourage players and work them hard.

And how is Teague's patting on the back, she'll be right mate attitude going for us?
We need a hard coaching mindset and if the players can't handle that, then move them on.
Simple, we're not running a child care facility.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:50 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
99prelim wrote:
This a coaching issue, not a personnel issue. PERIOD

Quality coaches drive the standards, set the tone for success, build culture, establish non-negotiables, adhere to applying consequences fairly, reward those who demonstrate buy-in through their performances, devise a gameplan that is effective, sustainable but also can be tweaked to suit scenarios A, B, C, D etc. (system-they call it)

We do not need a rebuild. Of course we have gaps but every team will identify gaps in their list

THIS

Agree 100%

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:51 pm 
Banned

Sidefx wrote:
Walsh wrote:

And how is Teague's patting on the back, she'll be right mate attitude going for us?
We need a hard coaching mindset and if the players can't handle that, then move them on.

You can't move on the players... you can't yell at them all the time - . Being a hard ass is easy and needs to be done properly - its imperative the coach has close relationships with players.. their best football will come when morale and confidence is high.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:58 pm 
Geoff Southby

Walsh wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Walsh wrote:

You can't move on the players... you can't yell at them all the time - . Being a hard ass is easy and needs to be done properly - its imperative the coach has close relationships with players.. their best football will come when morale and confidence is high.

How's that working for us?
It sounds like your solution is to let the tail wag the dog.
And you can move on the players, it's what the top clubs do all the time.
They either buy into the clubs plan and culture or they're out, something we are yet to do since moving on Robbo and Garlett.
You can't win premierships with hugs and feel good stories.

The best coach I had, I hated him.
But he still got us to win games and be successful.
Your fellow players are your mates.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next