Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:03 pm 
Bob Chitty

WOW wrote:
diesel95 wrote:
jim wrote:
If I was a prospective coach there a two clubs I would avoid like the plague, Carlton and St.Kilda. Ratts has done both...lol. They don't have it in them to want to achieve success. Just happy with the contract and job security. Those clubs kill coaches. Used to be Richmond to but after 35 years they finally found players who wanted to achieve success.

Watch the dynasty doco (or whatever it’s called) on Richmond and it wasn’t just about players. Was about the culture of the club. This is the team with supporters who used to spit on their players as they left the field down the race.

That’s a really bad culture for a start but they did a lot to become more mindful and less combative and egotistic at the board and executive level. Honestly don’t know what the Carlton culture is like on the inside these days but what I’m seeing from the outside is that it’s not good.

First game I haven’t listened to intently on the radio while it was played. figured if they couldn’t get this one done against a wounded WC on the road without me willing them on then what’s the point. Q has been answered.

In my view, culture is the most important ingredient for success

It’s what binds teams, builds belief, sets standards, sustains success, allows younger players to develop and prosper etc

The club needs an independent review. It’s staggering that it has yet to occur. Not sure what it is waiting for.

Agreed. Independent external review should be a given at this point. Bring in a few winners (players, coaches and management) to assess the club from head to toe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:04 pm 
Ken Hunter

CFC8795 wrote:
Girlfriend wanted me to spend the afternoon with her. I declined and I stayed home with the wife to watch the footy instead.
What a mistake :donk:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:07 pm 
John James

jim wrote:
woofa wrote:
That was so hopeless. So many players that don’t care. The lack of desperation (apart from Walsh) is appalling. Teague just can’t seem to motivate them. Cripps only seemed to care in the last quarter and he is a liability as he has no defensive side to his game. Murphy should not play again. He doesn’t deserve to get to 300 games. I could go on and on. This is worse than the Pagan years. Perhaps the board needs to go

Motivation comes from within. As Parko said a couple of months ago a coach can encourage but the motivation, drive, want has to come from the playing group. Psychology 101. Can tell you from experience and it drives you crazy. No-ones been able to do it here properly since the 90s. Same at St.Kilda, same at Richmond for 35 years until finally there found a group of players willing. Those clubs just chew up and spit coaches out.

Yep. I know for a fact one of the best players Parko coached at the Blues hated him. And there was a different player who was picked and performed every week including in a GF who I’m pretty sure thought Parko hated him. Didn’t effect anyones game day attitude badly. It’s not enough for coaches to be motivating players directly. They’re professional players these days too, with no day job other than to bull up and train, train and train.

But coaches do set the culture by everything they do and everything they don’t do or turn a blind eye too. Including bad match committee selections rewarding crap performances and subpar skill sets. I don’t care if they trained well all week. Can they play against an opposition with no respect for Carlton? Other clubs used to say we were tough to beat even when we were getting thumped some weeks. Not anymore I bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:07 pm 
Bruce Doull

We proved Adam Simpson right.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:09 pm 
John James

Lowey_47 wrote:
Just wondering what these guys talk about in their team meetings

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Too
Much
Good
Humoured
Banter
I
Suspect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:13 pm 
Horrie Clover

CK95 wrote:
david31 wrote:
Smacked in contested ball and tackles. And the Eagles aren’t a tackling team. Just so weak. Players can’t motivate themselves and set high standards. Coaches can’t drag it out of the playing group either. Until we become a genuinely hungry and desperate team we can forget about it. That’s the biggest reason this rebuild has failed - no standards have been developed. We ignored the basic (like playing hard nosed hungry footy) and thought we could just amass talent and all of a sudden we’d be a premiership contender. We’re as soft as we were in 2015 when we started this rebuild. No tangible improvement in mentality in 6 years

:clap:

the standard is set by the coaches and if we can't win the ball at stoppages it can be as simple as if you don't hunt and tackle when you havent got it, you wont play in my team. Teague has no brand - as some woke wanker might opine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:15 pm 
John James

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
CK95 wrote:
When Harry went off it just showed how incredibly reliant we are on him. We've looked Fev era at times this year & today proved it.

SOS had a good crack though. Fisher did a couple of good things but we didn't learn from Martin with him, just faded out for long periods.

Just a rubbish performance, lost centre clearance after centre clearance in the 2nd qtr & never recovered. Fkn terrible.

agree with this.

been thinking along the same lines the last few weeks .. if its not a bag from harry, it doesnt happen ... very much fevola like in that regards.

this was a dissappointing loss.

season is done. every time, for the last 18 months we have faced a test ... i.e. win a game to keep finals alive etc.. we have failed, and failed without a whimper ... thats what hurts the most. if the players think the effort is acceptable and it just needs to click sack the lot of them ... we have so many dumb footballers its unreal.

play stocker in midfield, play dow in midfield .. we need to blood these players ...

murphy has had a great career, but gives us nothing ... he should not be played at the expense of youth (i dont care if he finishes on 299 games) .. cotrell needs a spell, fisher didnt show much etc.. etc..

just too many passengers .. not sure its ever going to click with this team.

we need a coaching overhaul ... and i dont think that means getting rid of teague ... but we have to have the worst assistants in the comp. other than L.Power, id show the rest the door tomorrow.

Brad Lloyd interview on SEN last week was just about the dumbest thing I ever heard. I know they don’t wanna give much away on an interview and I know they only do them to keep fans hopeful but this gut had ten minutes of airtime to say nothing at all. Worse interview than than a first year recruit twenty years ago. What’s john barker smoking? Gonna try anything new one day? (and I don’t mean playing Ed Curnow out of a pocket, he’s not Greg Williams, he’s a tagger with a good tank who sometimes gets heaps of it too).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

CK95 wrote:

We prove them all right

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:20 pm 
John James

Walsh wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
Walsh wrote:
So Weitering, H, Charlie, Jack, Stocker, De Koning Cunners, Fisher are busts? Okay.

Maybe abit of Champaign comedy. Bad loss today...but these youngsters have 10 years in front of them not 2 thats what the rebuild is for. What happens next 2-5 years is to be seen.

Seriously, what were your expectations for the year? Did you think 4-8 would be the result half way? Do you think it’s acceptable?

Walsh Weitering and McKay are the only proven players on the list above. Charlie is unlucky but it’s a long road back. Stocker should make it.

It depends on many factors and weigh up each season on its merits. Need more key players in the midfield. Maybe 1 or 2

I think spine is in good shape when everyone is fit and firing. Need slight adjustments to game plan but most of all need a little bit of luck.

Key midfield talent without it we are not going anywhere fast.

Yes to mids. Don’t mention the kids/mids.

Bad luck is bad karma. Have you ever noticed how the more skilful and (self) disciplined players seem to have much better luck?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:20 pm 
Bruce Doull

My old man always told me "The harder you work, the luckier you get"

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:24 pm 
John James

CK95 wrote:
redback wrote:
and we have midgets pretending they are kpp.

Owies was our CHF for a while today. At least we've superseded Betts

Other clubs like Essendon* and WC bring young players in when they need to and watch them have patches of brilliance. Dons were supposed to tank this year losing players and moral down. They fight every game to the last siren. And I hate no other team like Essendon* so it panes me to say it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:27 pm 
John James

Sydney Blue wrote:
Just home from the game.
Never looked like it.
We have to many dumb players and no one on the paddock giving them guidance.
There is no on field leader.
Everyone is playing for themselves and not as a team.
They completely lack confidence. You have a bloke who has played nearly 300 games and he doesn't want to take set shot from goal 30 out. It gives it off to Cotrell and he snuck it in by the skin of his teeth.
I watched them kicking for goal in warm up and they never missed.
Then we have Harry 1 JSOS 2 Setterfield 1 Walsh 1 Pitto 2 Owies 1 all miss gettable goals.
They are 3 goals down in the last they have the ball in the middle of the ground and they kick it wide because no one wants to take the game on.
As good as Cripps is he is not captain neither is Doc.

It's not coaching you can't coach stupid.
You can have the best game plan on the planet but if you are teaching clueless players you have no chance.
We have 2 smart players
Eddie who is 35 plus
McGovern who is to lazy to get his body right to play.
Plenty of ability but no brains

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Fair call. Walsh is pretty street smart too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:35 pm 
Bruce Doull

I @#$%&! the poll up

Replacement here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37236

Sorry

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:35 pm 
Horrie Clover

Im a bit fixated on the lack of hunting and chasing and tackling when we don't have the ball, and that's stuff you can demand as a coach from your superstars and outright hacks like Cottrell, but we don't even demand that. We shepard space when they've got the ball - I'm @#$%&! looking at you Setterfield - what's so hard about @#$%&! chasing tail and tackling? Do @#$%&! something!!

Anyways what really did my nut was watching Teague coach from the bench with the same inanimate, expressionless, passionless look he has when he coaches from the box.
and then he sat mute with his legs crossed - lifeless - with his coaching under the pump and clearly his job on the line in the last. @#$%&! lifeless.

after 27 years as a member personally and dragging my wife and kids into the this flower that's when we decided it is over. we are done.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:39 pm 
Rod Ashman

Wild Blue wrote:
CK95 wrote:
david31 wrote:
Smacked in contested ball and tackles. And the Eagles aren’t a tackling team. Just so weak. Players can’t motivate themselves and set high standards. Coaches can’t drag it out of the playing group either. Until we become a genuinely hungry and desperate team we can forget about it. That’s the biggest reason this rebuild has failed - no standards have been developed. We ignored the basic (like playing hard nosed hungry footy) and thought we could just amass talent and all of a sudden we’d be a premiership contender. We’re as soft as we were in 2015 when we started this rebuild. No tangible improvement in mentality in 6 years

:clap:

the standard is set by the coaches and if we can't win the ball at stoppages it can be as simple as if you don't hunt and tackle when you havent got it, you wont play in my team. Teague has no brand - as some woke wanker might opine.

:idea:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:42 pm 
John James

Stranger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Run don't jog.
Lead dont just stand there.
Shepherd don't call for it.
Handball to your team mate not the ground.
Get the ball, not the tv
Kick it through the 2 big sticks, not the big and little stick.
Don't kick it to their talls.

FMD.

Russell, you have conditioned these blokes for syncronised swimming, coz they dan't tackle, they don't chase and they don't last. You have failed.

Teague, your game plan stinks. Bombing the ball to a pack of taller opponents? That's it? FMD

Teague, going wide because forwards don't lead. Why don't they lead?

Teague, they don't tackle or chase or go in hard. Why?

Murphy was pathetic today. Didnt attack the ball. Waited for the ball to hit him, only to see someone else get it because they wanted it more. Got caught. No tricks.No heart.

WTF!

There's no spirit.

Change the coach! Yeah yeah...typical Carlton. Bullshit. I'm not interested in watching this nonesense game plan. There's nothing clever about it.

Get Lyon.
Get someone who knows what they are doing.

Hearts and Minds? Teagues lost them.

Or Don Pyke
Teague will be gone by the end of the year
Apparently there are some people within the club are not happy with him especially the treatment he’s has been giving to a lot of younger players and he’s favouritism towards senior players
To me he looks clueless and shows no emotions at all maybe that is rubbing off on to the players

Too genial. Weak assistants. Makes Sheedy and Bolton look like chess GMs.

And don’t anybody @ me with any of that “you can’t talk to gen Y/Z like that, they just switch off”. They don’t look too switch on for a start. it’s not black and white you don’t go to the opposite extreme. It’s called a middle path. Or horses for courses in punter-land.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:48 pm 
John James

frank dardew wrote:
Still opposed to getting Buckley

That would be so carlton management to do that. Even knowledgeable pies supporters I know can’t stand the sight of him.

Doesn’t Mathieson have some nephew coaching under 13s who’s happy to give it a crack?

#%¥@& values and culture let’s just keep on doing what we do because we can. More pokie clubs in poorer suburbs i reckon <sarcasm font/>.

I was still pretty optimistic about this season and club two weeks ago. Felt like they’re getting more consistent. Naive?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:53 pm 
John James

Donstuie wrote:

A famous golfer was once in a presser after winning a tournament and sports journo goes “geez you had incredible luck on the greens today”. Famous player goes “yeah, I know. it’s funny how the harder I practice the luckier I get”.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

CK95 wrote:

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

:hitcomputer: :donk: :banghead:

How I’m embarrassing is that , Simpson said this out loud and we had a chance for pay back !!

And we folded worse than a pack cards

Simpson would be laughing tonight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

Donstuie wrote:

When Judd still had two good legs (2010 maybe?) he shot a TV ad for Powerade where he said “Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”

Never forgot it :thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next