Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:05 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Fair enough bondi.

It appears flower tiny on TV

Its an intimate set up with the grandstands closer to the action.
Beautiful ground to play on and to watch.
Cameras must be in close positions than MCG, but then again, distance is solved with lenses.

Perception and historically, more than 10 years ago, the ground was 16 metres shorter than the MCG.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:44 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
Fair enough bondi.

It appears flower tiny on TV

Mentioned the same in the game thread. I reckon it's camera placement being different to every other ground makes it look smaller.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:00 pm 
Bruce Doull

otherwise known as the Jono Patton Disclaimer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:25 pm 
Craig Bradley

bender wrote:
that tackle stat is blood boiling.

I agree, it's been consistently poor under Teague. Over the season, we're ranked 13th in tackles (ahead of Brisbane, Collingwood, NM, Fremantle and West Coast). And 2 of those teams, Brisbane and West Coast, play keepings off footy.

So our lack of tackling is clearly a significant factor, but the defensive issues are broader. I don't know if there's a stat, but I'm convinced we allow far more one-on-ones and space in our defensive 50 than any other team. And so opposition teams simply find it far easier to score.

I'd also love to see how our team 'pressure' rating compares to the rest of the competition.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:30 pm 
Craig Bradley

Mickstar wrote:
windy wrote:
"Sydney kicked an accumulative total of 8.4 to 0.3 during red-time"

Combination physiological & psychological issue?

Neither...........i reckon its tactics myself.Pretty simple to put a couple of blokes behind the ball.Sorta like you know whats coming so be prepared.............it continually happens so its not like its a surprise.

Yeah, it's hard to fathom that our coaching group fails to adopt a defensive policy that every other coaching group in the competition does.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

Paddycripps wrote:
Gibbons cannot play midfield. He is simply too small and his tackles don't stick. He is a wingman but even there let's be honest we need someone better. He certainly has hit his ceiling and it isn't high enough.

Actually he's ranked 8th in tackles per game at 2.45. He's nuggety and strong bodied.

It's actually a pretty interesting list. Probably most disappointing are Betts and Murphy equal 18th at 1.78. And Newnes, SPS and Plowman right near the bottom of the list. You can see why the MC have lost patience with Murphy and SPS.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tr- ... t=TA&st=TA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:43 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
bender wrote:
that tackle stat is blood boiling.

What do you expect when you have too many talls who are not nimble enough to catch anyone, and too many midgets fighting in the wrong weight division? There's not enough medium sized strong and tough players in our team.

I actually think there's some truth to that. We need more hard runners, more sheer pace, and more players who apply defensive pressure. Although it doesn't help playing 'underdone' players.

It will probably be too late for this coaching group, but I quite like what they appear to be doing with our younger players at VFL level. Sending them back to apply more pressure and find more ball.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:35 pm 
Bert Deacon

we need hard runners more sheer pace ,i totally agree so why do we recruit kennedy and setters just 1 example.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jamespul65 wrote:
we need hard runners more sheer pace ,i totally agree so why do we recruit kennedy and setters just 1 example.

They are getting closer to be shown the door than what they are doing now, clogging our list. A bit harsh I know. Setters has really annoyed me this year after his great round 1 effort.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:41 am 
Rod Ashman

Navy One wrote:
Isaac Heeney ...... I reckon he could find space in men's room cubicle.

:grin:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:55 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:

They are getting closer to be shown the door than what they are doing now, clogging our list. A bit harsh I know. Setters has really annoyed me this year after his great round 1 effort.

I agree. He has been very disappointing this year. Also I agree with a previous comment that in the forward line we are either massively top heavy or midget sized.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:28 pm 
John James

kingkerna wrote:
Heavs wrote:
What time this week do we roll out the pictures of charlie with his rig out "just a few weeks away" says the blues recruit of the decade Andrew Russell.
Andrew Russell, will sit nicely alongside Malthouse in shit appointments

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

The Brad Lloyd interview on SEN about « just getting the job done » was ten minutes of my life I’ll never get back. I hope he’s a better coach that he is with language.

Lloyd: We've just got to get it done https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/9502 ... type=video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:29 pm 
John James

david31 wrote:
We just don’t have it. Simple as that. 4-7. Can beat the dud sides, cannot beat anyone good.
Can someone explain the plan with Levi? I thought maybe he would play back on McLean so Weiters takes Buddy and Jones plays on Heeney who has smashed us for years. Levi goes back but no one goes to Heeney. Weiters our best defender players free. Heeney gets to play on Saad Stocker and Doc throughout the day and unsurprisingly he smashes us again. Then in the third quarter we throw the baby out with the bath water and send Levi forward giving us a forward line of H Levi TDK and JSOS. Then we wonder why we have no representation at ground level. That is on the coaching group

Fair call.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:53 pm 
John James

Paddycripps wrote:
jim wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
jim wrote:
[quote="Menzel_Mayhem"]Teague Train last stop, 2021

Unfortunately coaching changes have done nothing in 20 years. Has to be other reasons.

We’ve had the worst list in the league for much of the past 20 years. We’ve gone through a full rebuild now and a chock full of talented players. No excuses. The buck stops with the coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We still don’t have enough good players and the keepers we do have haven’t played together long enough either.

We are 13th of the sides above us who are we better than list wise?

Ground zero rebuilds are too tough. Too many spots that have to be covered and hard to do as draft picks can be flukey. Hence we still have a few holes. Got the talls spot but the mid not so good. We ruined a couple early in their careers by asking too much of them.

Thing is we don't get hammered. Only two losses over 30pts under Teague so far, which is better than 4 wins from 40 and 100pt losses we had before. We are very competitive against everyone but can't go from entertaining losers to winners when it matters. We are bad lapses away from being a decent team but we can't seem to stop them. Players aren't simply hungry enough. Losers mentality, happens after 20 years, and seem happy to be highly competitive only.

In the end you can sack one coach and you can't sack 40 players

Teague has failed to get the most out of this list

There is ample talent. We need a better coach to get the most out of it

Martin, Saad, Williams, they're all underperforming.

The players need to be inspired[/quote]

One or both of Saad and Williams have ranked inside top six carlton player for thé last three weeks. Both could be more damaging in a team playing more cohesive, organised football.

It’s both culture and it’s the offensive obsession of this coach. Was more understandable with Charlie in the team when we could score seven goals in 15 minutes and come home over the top. But we don’t have Charlie ATM, nor the fittest players in AFL (except for Ed and Walsh).

Was interesting hearing three ABC commentators (including Malthouse) giving a huge wrap on Mark Williams last week after their game and what he has brought to the Dees. Runs some of their main training sessions. Tough as nails. Uncompromising. Some players can’t handle it, fine they walk. Would do anything for players to improve their game. Sounds like exactly what another up and coming club needs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:04 am 
Serge Silvagni

Choco isn’t going to walk from the Dees, they’re on top of the ladder!

If we stick with Teague, Leppitsch could be an option under Teague.

Ross the boss wouldn’t want to play second fiddle I’d imagine.

Someone has mentioned Bret Kirk, but I would want someone with no training wheels?

Who else is out there that I’ve failed to mention?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:19 am 
John James

bondiblue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Back home . You sensed in the 3rd quarter it was only a matter of time.

Just to much left to to few then they try to do to much and it costs us.

Cripps turned it over a lot in the first half but redeemed himself in the 2nd half to be our best.

Harry could have had 8 or 9 but he also could have given a couple off sense he is like Cripps and Walsh and try win off own boot and doesn't trust others around him.

To many bland Salad players who offer not much.
Fogarty Gibbons Setterfield Cotrell you hardly notice them.

I have said this after the last 150 games but what does Levi offer.

TDK will come good.
Martin was not ready.
Eddie should stop calling for the ball and players should stop thinking he can take a mark.

Swans time and time again took the ball out of the centre bounce by blocking Cripps and allowing Cripps man to link out the back

Newman gave his man to much room and was poor today.
Saad allows himself to be dragged deep where he ineffectual.

Doc is scared of contact and won't bend down to pick up ball.

I was buggered watching Ed warm up , sprints up and down ground must have done 30off them no idea how he ran out game

To many talls and got run over

At times it looked like we were going to flog them . In patches they looked sensational but them all of a sudden nothing and they look disinterested.
It's weird to watch.

In two minds if I will go next week

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Exactly

Cottrell Gibbons or Fogarty Owies with Betts

Too many midgets who can't break a tackle.

Or stick a tackle. Gibbons tackles must be an AFL in joke.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:26 am 
John James

Donstuie wrote:
Sometimes you need an outsider perspective to cut through the bullshit and see things for what they are...
Quote:
Carlton just don't know how to win. I watched the whole game today, you guys were the better team till 3/4 time but you never got the lead you deserved off general play. Not sure how Carlton fix this but just like the Dogs game which I also watched you were all over them but just couldn't capitalize, then the ball goes down the other end and the oppo undo all your hard work. You have some genuine elite players now but the development of the role players seems shithouse and the gameplan IMO sucks. I don't see a huge difference between Carltons list and the lists of the top 6 clubs, the problem you rely on individual brilliance each week to get you wins against anyone outside the bottom four and a list like this shouldn't need that.

You need to fu** off all the assistants that have been there longer than 1-2 year and get some fresh ideas in the box. Teams score way too easily against Carlton for a side that has a good back 6 and you still have to work so hard to score yourselves.

Fair

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:30 am 
John James

sinbagger wrote:
Navy One wrote:
Nothing to see here .... We had 3 goes at trying to get Plowman off. Buddy should be fine :roll:

There'll be the old ..... "Newman wasn't concussed" ruling

https://twitter.com/i/status/1398893102559989766

If plowman running directly towards the ball, eyes for the ball and opponent running in side on (even though most of the camera angles made it look like Plowman was coming across from the side) is two weeks that’s four weeks. Lined him up and put a Shoulder to the temple. Did it even get reviewed?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:45 am 
John James

Navy One wrote:
As I said in an earlier post ...... Nothing to see here

Incident assessed:
Contact between Sydney Swans’ Lance Franklin and Carlton’s Nic Newman from the second quarter of Sunday’s match, between the Sydney Swans and Carlton was assessed. The ball is kicked towards the Sydney forward line. Newman attempts to take possession of the ball at half forward. As Newman turns front on to gain possession of the loose ball, Franklin approaches and contact is made, including high contact. It was the view of the MRO that there was insufficient force to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.

FMD

FMD2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:59 am 
John James

Stefchook wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Gibbons cannot play midfield. He is simply too small and his tackles don't stick. He is a wingman but even there let's be honest we need someone better. He certainly has hit his ceiling and it isn't high enough.

Actually he's ranked 8th in tackles per game at 2.45. He's nuggety and strong bodied.

It's actually a pretty interesting list. Probably most disappointing are Betts and Murphy equal 18th at 1.78. And Newnes, SPS and Plowman right near the bottom of the list. You can see why the MC have lost patience with Murphy and SPS.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tr- ... t=TA&st=TA

Gibbons « tackles » might appear on the stat sheet as being exemplary tackles but every second one is broken free of by the opposing player, usually with space to run and dispose well from which makes even more damaging. It’s psychologically damaging to other players around him too. And when he’s tackled he coughs it up far too much or gives away a free in on their half forward line where defenders get less latitude for holding on to it (unless they play for Richmond of course, in which case “play on”).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next