Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

Hopefully he gives us some good intel this week

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Teague will be forced to make changes, not only to the team, but to his style...if he wants to survive.

The talk circling amongst the media is that he plays favourites, and he's too nice, and too soft for a Head coach.

He needs to harden up and win respect of supporters who are questioning him as Head Coach.

He needs to make some hard decisions and play the kids.

Sometimes the coach needs to be told.

Bolton was told he needed to change a bit, but his job was secure. He wouldn't change.

How much influence will Woosha have. Time will tell.

Not much I think.

He's not in the inner circle therefore, he's not there for any game day tactical measure.

Hang on...I see where you are coming from given he's the ex coach.

Lets find out how close they can be from a distance. Hopefully he helps Teague enough to win this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Worsfold was responsible for our defence back in 2000/01 including our kick in strategies.

Maybe he could start there.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

Woosha got the cheats back into something of a team again, I hate to say. Sure they were a mess last year but so was the transition.

Interesting to see if he has any real influence via his input. Probably something we diehard supporters will never know.

Remember when Wallsy mentored our last coach. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Wojee wrote:
billc3 wrote:
Let's hope we can get players who provide 4 quarters of grunt... Or we get some new players!

Another shitty Russell Crowe band?
:lol:

Sadly at this stage, Rusty is more threatening..

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:24 am 
Ken Hunter

..if he can get instill some accountability, all power to him..

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:05 pm 
Ken Hunter

Credit where it's due, we seemed like a properly coached team in that second half today. On a number of occasions our players had to kick without time to look up and there was a blue jumper on the end of it. Could be a fluke, could be that * are poorly coached, but it stood out as different to what we've gotten used to.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:29 pm 
Ken Hunter

I just watched the replay and it looked like he had tears in his eyes after the game.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

kezza wrote:
I just watched the replay and it looked like he had tears in his eyes after the game.

I agree , he was definitely emotional and clearing something from his eyes

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:55 am 
Craig Bradley

We won against a bottom 4 team today. We would have lost to probably 10 other sides. We still concede goals way to easily and allow opposition teams to score multiple goals in succession way too often. I got to my first live game since 2019 and the defensive structure was often a complete shambles. A long way from convinced, but a win is a step in the right direction. let’s hope we’re better next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:05 am 
Trevor Keogh

jake_h03 wrote:
We won against a bottom 4 team today. We would have lost to probably 10 other sides. We still concede goals way to easily and allow opposition teams to score multiple goals in succession way too often. I got to my first live game since 2019 and the defensive structure was often a complete shambles. A long way from convinced, but a win is a step in the right direction. let’s hope we’re better next week

Enjoy the win Jake. We beat a team that crushed the Saints, should have beaten the Hawks and beat Collingwood convincingly. We are not in a position to take these wins for granted. We went in as underdogs and it could have gone sideways midway through the second quarter. We have a ton of injuries and gutted it out. A good win by any measure.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:14 am 
Craig Bradley

fjanyc wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

Enjoy the win Jake. We beat a team that crushed the Saints, should have beaten the Hawks and beat Collingwood convincingly. We are not in a position to take these wins for granted. We went in as underdogs and it could have gone sideways midway through the second quarter. We have a ton of injuries and gutted it out. A good win by any measure.

I’m enjoying the win don’t worry about that. This is a thread about David Teague. I’m just making comment on how I see it. I’m still really concerned about the trends that we have seen for the past 18 months.

For me there is something amiss with our system. Whether it’s the system itself or just that the players are unable to execute it, I don’t know, but our setup looked a shambles for large parts of today. As I said it’s the first game I’ve got to see live since 2019, and it became obvious to me why we are so easy to score against.

We have given up 5 goal to 0 runs in something like 2/3 of the games Teague has coached. That’s a staggering stat. Fact is today’s performance would not have been good enough against most sides. Our expectations have to be higher than just beating sides like Essendon*.

As I said though, a win is a win and let’s hope its another step forward next week rather than one step forward, two steps back

Also we most definitely did not go in as underdogs

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:12 am 
Bruce Doull

I think you're both right

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:29 am 
Craig Bradley

Ohh and by the way, they beat saints and Collingwood who are bottom 5 and lost to hawthorn who are also bottom 4. You’re kind of proving my point there. The scum are a bottom 4 side.

So yes, I enjoyed that win more than I will for any other game this season, but it doesn’t really alleviate any of my concerns about Teague as a coach. Yesterday was the bare minimum required

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:
fjanyc wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

I’m enjoying the win don’t worry about that. This is a thread about David Teague. I’m just making comment on how I see it. I’m still really concerned about the trends that we have seen for the past 18 months.

For me there is something amiss with our system. Whether it’s the system itself or just that the players are unable to execute it, I don’t know, but our setup looked a shambles for large parts of today. As I said it’s the first game I’ve got to see live since 2019, and it became obvious to me why we are so easy to score against.

We have given up 5 goal to 0 runs in something like 2/3 of the games Teague has coached. That’s a staggering stat. Fact is today’s performance would not have been good enough against most sides. Our expectations have to be higher than just beating sides like Essendon**.

As I said though, a win is a win and let’s hope its another step forward next week rather than one step forward, two steps back

Also we most definitely did not go in as underdogs

Good to read POV from someone who went to the G.

There's something amiss in the game plan on the defensive side of the game in particular, leaking goals and the bob it in to the forwardline.

A lack of connection and run which the Bumbers did show in the first.

Does Teague run a one on one structure/ zone defense or an extra from waht you saw?

And who is covering the corridor to cut off lead lane?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:06 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/03/one-positive-and-one-negative-from-your-clubs-round-7-performance/

Quote:
Only five teams – Adelaide, St Kilda, Essendon*, Hawthorn and North Melbourne – have given up more points than Carlton this year, who are still too easy to score against.

The Bombers cut the Blues to ribbons in the first quarter, with their forwards having a ton of space to work into.

Coming up against the Bulldogs this week, Carlton must get their defensive structures right if they are to have any chance.

This means clogging leading lanes and not relying on Jacob Weitering, Liam Jones and Lachie Plowman to win one-on-one contests without help.

Yay.

The problem we have not blocking up the "leading up lanes" has was exposed big time in round 2 when Williamson has given that job and failed miserably.

Williamson got dropped and we won the next 2 games, but lets face it the opposition were up coming developing teams Freo and GCS, so we weren't tested that much. Not sure if anyone was blocking those lanes against them TBH.

Williamson returned to the team against Port to fill in the injured Parks who had replaced him, and we saw the lead lanes open up again.

It can't all be one player, because he didn't play in our win vs Effendope*, nor our loss against Lions where in both games thie phenomena of leaving heaps of space in the oppositions forwardline, leaving one on ones Plowman with Tippa, or Jones on Hooker, and Weiters on Jones, with no one around for support.

Its Teagues game plan from the day he started.

He inherited a low scoring team with a defense first mantra, and let them off the leash to win a few games. The team had a defensive mindset at the time, but that was gone in 2020 and 2021 thus far with 5 goal leaks the norm, and lead lane ways there for the taking.

Team defense is an important element of defence. Its easy to stretch the defenders to creat space. We see it with Carlton every week.

Has to have a bettr defensive plan to play against the big boys. We use to stifle scoring with Bolton but now we need to plug the leaks.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:08 pm 
Banned

First qtr was a defensive shambles - but did get better as the game went on - 2nd half was really good defensively I thought.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:52 pm 
Ken Hunter

Get some line coaches in who know what they are doing.
Just as an example, Melbourne got Mark Williams in for a specific reason - resilience / toughness, and look at them now. No offence but Kruezer became our ruck coach and Pittonet has gone backwards. We need the best possible assistance in to not just support Teague but freshen us up. It really is that evident.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Just as an example, Melbourne got Mark Williams in for a specific reason - resilience / toughness, and look at them now. No offence but Kruezer became our ruck coach and Pittonet has gone backwards. We need the best possible assistance in to not just support Teague but freshen us up. It really is that evident.

A made a similar point albeit more subtle.

Pitto has gone backwards.
Levi is a dead man walking....just

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:30 pm 
Bruce Doull

SurreyBlue wrote:

Too early to tell IMO re: Kreuz as a ruck coach, but spot on with the other stuff.

We need some fresh voices, who have experienced success, and have some cauliflower in them.

#GUILTY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 266  Next