Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:
Ed was taken to the cleaners last week but again protected species.!!!

Ed who had 30 possessions, our equal most tackles (7), our most clearances (8), our most centre clearances (4), our most inside 50's (10)?
How does this "protected species" keep getting a game? :grin:

BTW, who "cleaned him up" exactly?

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:12 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Think he meant Eddie.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I hope so.
Mind you, there's a couple of posters here who call for Ed to be dropped every second week.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:33 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

The fact there isn’t anyone pushing him out the side is more concerning. Will never forget when Licuria and Lockyer got pushed out of Coll midfield was when they announced themselves in the early 00s. Ed is a similar player to those two, but with us the rung underneath are either or both underdeveloped or not ruthless enough

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:40 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Ed who had 30 possessions, our equal most tackles (7), our most clearances (8), our most centre clearances (4), our most inside 50's (10)?

Ed was minding Zorko after the 1st BV. But I assume you knew that. Too clean for him and kept losing him easily.
I stand by that we need to move on from players such as Ed, Gibbons, Newnes and Cottrell, else we aren’t moving forward. You don’t have to agree.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

JK wrote:
The fact there isn’t anyone pushing him out the side is more concerning. Will never forget when Licuria and Lockyer got pushed out of Coll midfield was when they announced themselves in the early 00s. Ed is a similar player to those two, but with us the rung underneath are either or both underdeveloped or not ruthless enough

You need to play in the role and allow them to keep him out. They can’t push him out, if they don’t get an opportunity. Playing SPS on a wing for 1 game and then dropping him, is an example of incompetence in development. Kennedy, Stocker, O’Brien are other examples. Anyway - let’s see how wrong I am.

Last edited by SurreyBlue on Sat May 01, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:07 pm 
Craig Bradley

Humpers wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Logical changes.
Parks back releases Newnes back to the wing. Owies takes Murphys role as a small forward and Dow replaces Williams as a mid.
Curnow has to go to Parish. Tippa is their other threat. The whipping boy Plowman has been good on him previously. The pressure is on Pittonet to perform against the Essendon*** kid and give us first use.

Fair enough BV.
I don't think however Dow should be promoted back to the seniors after 1 VFL match and Setterfield would have been a better option. Dow played well against Essendon** in the pre-season match so maybe this was taken into consideration.

I think the MC are worried about their speed through the middle which is why Dow got the nod over Settefield.

SPS to be the sub... and still yet to play reserves

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:35 am 
Harry Vallence

Mickstar wrote:
jim wrote:
Heavs wrote:
Looking forward to seeing how Owies goes.

Hate being that person who called Williams injury prone when we were looking to sign him. Hope in time I'm proved wrong. After all, we have "the greatest fitness conditioning guy of all time". Beginning to think he's a worse plant than Malthouse.

Has general soreness.

General soreness ? six weeks into the season and he has been injured twice and suspended once.............for faaark sake mate,if you are sore it is because you aint fit.Train harder mate,that will solve it.Walk the walk instead of talking the talk.

Apparently Andrew Russell is the best in business , when he was at the hawks comes to Carlton and everyone is injured !!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:23 am 
Ken Hunter

..MM dropped for output, or actual injury ??.. ....if he's not injured, or Carlton style not injured enough, I think he should be played.. ....with time through the middle.. ....and use him, if not now, then later,, as an offensive player.. ....all out attacking play.. ....give him license to roll the dice..

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:18 am 
Serge Silvagni

grrofunger wrote:
What a joke.

The mismanagement of our young players continues.

SPS dropped is ridiculous

What the hell was the Dow strategy over the past few weeks? Dropped. Sub. Average VFL game. Back in.

Well said. For some strange irrational reason they seem to love Dow who is not good enough to tie SPS's bootlaces. But they keep flogging the dead horse because he was pick 3. Apparently Setterfield was BOG last week but they recall can't kick, can't mark, can't find the ball Dow. Go figure !

Last edited by Asp on Sun May 02, 2021 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:24 am 
Banned

We have hit a point where we are cycling rookies (kennedy, owies & parks) and playing out of form kids due to injury list being too long.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:37 am 
Rod Ashman

I am surprised that Dow has been recalled so quickly - I would have thought his challenge was to learn how to get to more contests and get the ball more. I think he did do that in the VFL last week but would have thought he’d need a string of performances like that to embed that capability.

I was also surprised that SPS has been dropped but we don’t know what has been said to him - e.g. we’re going to move you out of the backline but your challenge is to maintain defensive pressure and accountability. I’m pretty sure he was not all that accountable at times against the Lions. So perhaps, that is what is behind him being dropped.

Perhaps, overall, the MC is telling the players that we are going to put a higher premium on intensity and accoutntability than on nice skills?

I don’t know, hard to tell - just trying to work it out?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:06 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Jonosc1 wrote:
Is Williams made of paper. Or carrying an injury.
Geez the whipping boy Samo copes it. Far from our worst.

Been carrying a leg injury since first quarter round 2 vs Pies.
Carrying a bad corkie in last 2 weeks.

He's done OK considering.

Needs to get over injury.
Glad he's been rested.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:21 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:
Not sure what Dow has done to justify his spot on recent form but interested to see how he goes.

Dropped to the VFL to find form.
Teague suggested players will be judged from a body of work ie, no call ups for one good week.

He played 3/4 of a game last week in the VFL.
Played with intensity in the guts. Looked great. Tough at the contest.
Was BOG when taken off to rest. Strange decision.

I guess he wouldn't have been recalled had it not been for injuries to first selected Williams and Murphy.

There's 7 best 22 players out injured this week, plus the developing Kemp Philp and Carroll.
Newman and DeKoning back for their first game in the VFL.

Makes Dow best available, I guess.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:32 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Logical changes.
Parks back releases Newnes back to the wing. Owies takes Murphys role as a small forward and Dow replaces Williams as a mid.
Curnow has to go to Parish. Tippa is their other threat. The whipping boy Plowman has been good on him previously. The pressure is on Pittonet to perform against the Essendon** kid and give us first use.

...and that's the game today.

Starts with Pitto.
If he can't dominate against this first gamer and the non-ruckmen likely to give Bryan a chop out, Wright and Stewart, he's definetely a VFL standard ruckman.

He wins the ruck, and he directs play for Cripps and Dow whilst Ed tags Parish. With support from Walsh, Cuningham and Newnes, we should be too strong in the mids

Plow has to blanket Tippa. He's done it before.

Owies will add to forward pressure mantra Teague has been talking about all year. With Fog and Betts that's a lot of forward pressure. Gibbo has to make amends. With Murphy Williams back next week and if Owies holds his spot, pressure to perform is today.

We are not carrying injured players...Crippa? He's a beast when sore.
We are the bigger and stronger team. The external heat has been on High.
Hopefully Effendrugs* played their GF last week and today is deflating despite being their home game at the MCG.

I'm expecting a 5 goal win to the Bluebaggers. Maybe more.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:35 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
jim wrote:
Heavs wrote:
Looking forward to seeing how Owies goes.

Hate being that person who called Williams injury prone when we were looking to sign him. Hope in time I'm proved wrong. After all, we have "the greatest fitness conditioning guy of all time". Beginning to think he's a worse plant than Malthouse.

Has general soreness.

General soreness ? six weeks into the season and he has been injured twice and suspended once.............for faaark sake mate,if you are sore it is because you aint fit.Train harder mate,that will solve it.Walk the walk instead of talking the talk.

What's Williams said?

We've been playing him injured since round 2.
In one week, out the other.
He needs to be given time to recover.

Playing injured doesn't do anyone any good.

Good decision.
We need to play fit players on the G

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:39 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
What a joke.

The mismanagement of our young players continues.

SPS dropped is ridiculous

What the hell was the Dow strategy over the past few weeks? Dropped. Sub. Average VFL game. Back in.

Its strange in a way, but posters have named SPS to be dropped or play midfield for a long time.
I thought SPS was really good last week playing further up the ground.

As for the timing of this change...maybe Dows pace is preferred.

Who knows

Glad Owies and Parks are in.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:47 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Dropping SPS and leaving Gibbons and Newnes in, is just plain bad management.
Good luck to Owiens but he isn’t AFL ready.
I like the Parks confidence to select straight back in, but why not JSoS as well?
Cottrell? Agains like the kids willingness but he doesn’t do enough.

I feel for SPS. Finally gets moved further up the field to only be a scapegoat.

Re SPS fair enough.

Newnes is more important on a wing than Gibbo of late.
We don't know if Owies is not AFL ready. Its a forward pressure role, and he can do that, and can kick goals.
JSOS isn't playing any football this weekend.

We have 7 best 22 players out injured.
2 best 22 players returning for first game today in VFL.
Developing players Kemp Philp Carroll on sidelines.

Setterfield, Kennedy, OBrien are the only other players to consider replacing Gibbo, Newnes...cupboard is bare

I don't understand your attack on Ed.
Who cleaned up Ed last week? He was tagging.
I'd suggest his opponent got beaten with the numbers he produced last week....anyway, the cupboard is bare other than the above 3 mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:49 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I'm of the opinion that our midfield group getting the ball into forwardline quickly is a Teague directive.

Hence the hacking forward, the long bombs, the lack of planned connection between Midfield and Forwards.

Ed is strong enough to stand in a tackle and pass it to a player running past, but I can't see these options presenting.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:50 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Thanks for the numbers.

Proves the point.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next