Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:20 pm 
Bruce Doull

I thought our defence looked panicky on many occasions yesterday when the Lions took it into 50. Someone said on one of the shows last week that we are the most nervous looking side in the AFL, & they were so right.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:26 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
I'd love to sit in on training and strategy meetings for a week to see what they identify and work on. All season we have struggled to fill the leading lanes of the opposition forwards. Even in slow plays our mids are getting back reasonably but not positioning ourselves to chop off the leads. No surprise the defenders are getting agitated with the lack of assistance.
The opposition have no problems obstructing our leading lanes but we're not learning the lessons.

I give credit to the coaches for mixing things up after a horrible second quarter. Williams into a 3 way rotation off half back looked more settled. Wing/midfield/ H/F rotation worked reasonably. Docherty even started the quarter on the wing (But it didn't last long)
Cuningham only had about 20 possessions (I doubt he'll ever be a consistent high possession winner) but he certainly gave us spark around the stoppages. We're light on for good ball users with pace and he definitely gave us something we've lacked.

It was a disappointing loss but as much as some wont want to hear it, our effort and pressure was reasonable, we're just light on for class. Put Charlie, Fisher, DeKoning, ,JSOS, Martin and Newman into that 22 and we win the game comfortably IMHO.
Brisbane are close to full strength and it just confirms that we need a decent run with injuries to compete with the better sides.
Eddie and Newnes may get a run in the VFL after yesterdays effort which will give an opportunity to others. We need to get better ball users into the 22. Turnovers are killing us. Plus, tell the players to wear long @#$%&! stops. The slipping over is killing me.

Sorry but in my book, that's the issue BV. We should not be tolerating "reasonable" effort and pressure, regardless of class. We had the class to tackle 27 times in the 1st qtr but only tackled 12 times in the 2nd. As you've said yourself, we are a classier side than we were last year...but even classy players make mistakes so it's not that which does my head in
It's the fact that we do not have a mindset to play with close to max effort/pressure for the game...or if we do lapse, we can re-right the ship quickly

And this has happened since DTs first game against Brisbane. WTF are they teaching them???? FIIK????

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

99prelim wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
I'd love to sit in on training and strategy meetings for a week to see what they identify and work on. All season we have struggled to fill the leading lanes of the opposition forwards. Even in slow plays our mids are getting back reasonably but not positioning ourselves to chop off the leads. No surprise the defenders are getting agitated with the lack of assistance.
The opposition have no problems obstructing our leading lanes but we're not learning the lessons.

I give credit to the coaches for mixing things up after a horrible second quarter. Williams into a 3 way rotation off half back looked more settled. Wing/midfield/ H/F rotation worked reasonably. Docherty even started the quarter on the wing (But it didn't last long)
Cuningham only had about 20 possessions (I doubt he'll ever be a consistent high possession winner) but he certainly gave us spark around the stoppages. We're light on for good ball users with pace and he definitely gave us something we've lacked.

It was a disappointing loss but as much as some wont want to hear it, our effort and pressure was reasonable, we're just light on for class. Put Charlie, Fisher, DeKoning, ,JSOS, Martin and Newman into that 22 and we win the game comfortably IMHO.
Brisbane are close to full strength and it just confirms that we need a decent run with injuries to compete with the better sides.
Eddie and Newnes may get a run in the VFL after yesterdays effort which will give an opportunity to others. We need to get better ball users into the 22. Turnovers are killing us. Plus, tell the players to wear long @#$%&! stops. The slipping over is killing me.

Sorry but in my book, that's the issue BV. We should not be tolerating "reasonable" effort and pressure, regardless of class. We had the class to tackle 27 times in the 1st qtr but only tackled 12 times in the 2nd. As you've said yourself, we are a classier side than we were last year...but even classy players make mistakes so it's not that which does my head in
It's the fact that we do not have a mindset to play with close to max effort/pressure for the game...or if we do lapse, we can re-right the ship quickly

And this has happened since DTs first game against Brisbane. WTF are they teaching them???? FIIK????

Kind of agree with both of you. I'd say our effort for 3 quarters was better than reasonable. 3 quarters of reasonable effort doesn't cut it anymore. Our 2nd quarter was beyond disgusting. They embarrassed themselves to the point that I don't know how they can show their faces in public after that. That shit and to ca it shit would be an insult to actual shit cannot be tolerated under any circumstances. 3 quarters of better than reasonable effort does not excuse that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:46 am 
Bob Chitty

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Totally agree.

I read TC before watching the game for the first time.
FMD talk about exaggeration and an emotional avalanche.

The effort was there, so were the turnovers.

Pitto was awful to watch TBH. I know he's the best we've got but.....not much class.

This. We are one man down instantly. No surprise we have won against sides with no established ruck ..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:25 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Totally agree.

I read TC before watching the game for the first time.
FMD talk about exaggeration and an emotional avalanche.

The effort was there, so were the turnovers.

Pitto was awful to watch TBH. I know he's the best we've got but.....not much class.

This. We are one man down instantly. No surprise we have won against sides with no established ruck ..

Throw in casboult and Eddie and we start with more than just 1 man down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:30 am 
Geoff Southby

Intensity comes from within. Some naturally have it . Some don’t. I can remember watching Luke Hodge playing a reserves game coming back from injury and playing like his life was on the line.

Matt Rendell as a recruiting officer looked only at effort first and foremost.
Short, tall, skinny, fat, fast, slow it don’t matter.

We have recruited too many nice players. Take David Cuningham.
Not only did we recruit him we give him contracts that add up to 5 years.

On First Crack last night Plowman and Murphy were highlighted with piss poor efforts not running hard enough the other way.

You cannot get away with it these days.

Teague’s press conferences are pathetic but so are the other 17.
Behind closed doors he surely wouldn’t be happy given how he played the game although he needs to drop these imposters. At least he has made Setterfield accountable
The thing is SOS recruited these soft players.
LoGuidice employed him.
Austin has compounded the problem
Williams will be a reasonable Mid. That’s it. Ridiculous to have player on so much money given his talent for six years.
Saad is a limited player. Not great overhead only can play in one position. Another HBF. Docherty the same. The midfield is still thin as paper
Judd has to approve these decisions unless he is only in the board to keep the seat warm.

After 20 years of shit and 5 coach sackings before their contract were up why do supporters continue to focus totally on the coach.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:48 am 
John James

It is the lack of basic skills, poise and class that hold us back. The effort was there but we could not capitalise. That is where the finishing comes in and we just don't have that quality as yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:00 am 
Rod Ashman

I agree with Keoghs comments re: why do supporters continue to focus totally on the coach. It took Hardwick 5 years to progress Richmond to finals. Surely its more about having a consistent 22 and for that to happen you can't have injuries. A consistent 22 is what happened with Richmond and is occurring this year so far with Melbourne. Teague has had part of 2019 and then last year which can't be included given the team couldn't train together and on top of that our injury list has been awful. I am generally happy with the game plan and the effort of the players if only we could just stop the skill errors and also kick goals when the chance presents. Because we get enough chances. Eddies 4 behinds on the weekend - all gettable make a big difference.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:17 am 
Geoff Southby

Beijing Blue wrote:
It is the lack of basic skills, poise and class that hold us back. The effort was there but we could not capitalise. That is where the finishing comes in and we just don't have that quality as yet.

The effort wasn’t there compared to Brisbane
They had their best mid on one leg and still won
Once again Curnow was one of our best
Walsh, Cripps always tries
Where are the rest
We simply have too many passengers who don’t consistently put effort in and that comes down to recruiting and a lack of accountability because we don’t have depth
Most clubs have injury numbers similar to ours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:42 am 
Bruce Doull

Brisbane chip kicked out of defense several times under minimal pressure so there's plenty of room to improve in the effort and pressure stakes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:51 am 
Ken Hunter

BlueJean wrote:
BS.

More pressing problems then players’ foot skills.

I'd say that's the coaches thoughts also. So when we keep turning it over and these turn overs merchants costs goals directly, everyone should stop winging about it, cause we have the defensive players in place. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:52 am 
Ken Hunter

Wojee wrote:
Brisbane chip kicked out of defense several times under minimal pressure so there's plenty of room to improve in the effort and pressure stakes.

Our small forwards have been invisible for 2 weeks. It's been that obvious, in particular the half forwards and wings haven't done their job.
Add the lack of crumming and you have a serious issue in your F50.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:32 pm 
Bruce Doull

SurreyBlue wrote:

That was a glaring issue on saturday

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
Intensity comes from within. Some naturally have it . Some don’t. I can remember watching Luke Hodge playing a reserves game coming back from injury and playing like his life was on the line.

Matt Rendell as a recruiting officer looked only at effort first and foremost.
Short, tall, skinny, fat, fast, slow it don’t matter.

We have recruited too many nice players. Take David Cuningham.
Not only did we recruit him we give him contracts that add up to 5 years.

On First Crack last night Plowman and Murphy were highlighted with piss poor efforts not running hard enough the other way.

You cannot get away with it these days.

Teague’s press conferences are pathetic but so are the other 17.
Behind closed doors he surely wouldn’t be happy given how he played the game although he needs to drop these imposters. At least he has made Setterfield accountable
The thing is SOS recruited these soft players.
LoGuidice employed him.
Austin has compounded the problem
Williams will be a reasonable Mid. That’s it. Ridiculous to have player on so much money given his talent for six years.
Saad is a limited player. Not great overhead only can play in one position. Another HBF. Docherty the same. The midfield is still thin as paper
Judd has to approve these decisions unless he is only in the board to keep the seat warm.

After 20 years of shit and 5 coach sackings before their contract were up why do supporters continue to focus totally on the coach.

It's not that we've recruited too many nice players ..... that's all we've recruited for a number of years now. Wouldn't you love the Earl Spalding type CHF. Could have been Casboult but wasn't in his makeup.
We've not recruited those "kick it to me" players ... those that demand the football and then get pis$$ed off it they don't get it.
We've not recruited those that bleed after a loss. We had 1 (ONE and only ONE) but retired him.
Wouldn't you love to have those in your face players (eg: Libba et el). Sadly too many nice guys.
There's no one at the moment who I could say could take over a game with 10 minutes to go and either win it off his own boot or get the rest of his team mates involved. Perhaps Walsh but I have little faith in the others.
There's little or no confidence in one another out there ... lots of individuals hoping that the next guy can do his bit and it all goes to sh#t when he doesn't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:35 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'm not too fussed about Worsfold coming in. I've said for a while that Teague could do with some senior support, and they have worked together in the past.

The issue remains a stale and comfortable group of assistants, of which only Amos and Power should remain IMO. Freshen the place up FFS.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

CK95 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
They need to sack the shrink and bring in a team of new ones.

Very good point

Correct me if i'm wrong but was our shrink a victim of the COVID cuts? Is that correct that Andrew Russell has carriage for this task?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

It would be good to hear from Brent Stanton this week. Not just because we need to get better in the area that he's responsible for, but also because it would show the fan base that Teague still has the support of his assistants.

The fact that we're up against his former club would give him the opportunity to say something without saying anything of substance, such is the calibre of the AFL press pack.

Going with Woosha straight away would be detrimental to the coaching group, at least from an outside perspective.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
It would be good to hear from Brent Stanton this week. Not just because we need to get better in the area that he's responsible for, but also because it would show the fan base that Teague still has the support of his assistants.

The fact that we're up against his former club would give him the opportunity to say something without saying anything of substance, such is the calibre of the AFL press pack.

Going with Woosha straight away would be detrimental to the coaching group, at least from an outside perspective.

Bloody good point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Wojee wrote:

Our small forwards have been invisible for 2 weeks. It's been that obvious, in particular the half forwards and wings haven't done their job.

100%...and where's the defensive pressure to keep it in our forwardline.

It seems to me when opposition are kicking out they find a way through us....we leave too much space, or, we are not playing accountable football.

Heat is on this week.

Teague wouldn't want to lose this week.
The clowns in the media have already warned him.... because he's coaching Carlton.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

carntheblues wrote:
I agree with Keoghs comments re: why do supporters continue to focus totally on the coach. It took Hardwick 5 years to progress Richmond to finals. Surely its more about having a consistent 22 and for that to happen you can't have injuries. A consistent 22 is what happened with Richmond and is occurring this year so far with Melbourne. Teague has had part of 2019 and then last year which can't be included given the team couldn't train together and on top of that our injury list has been awful. I am generally happy with the game plan and the effort of the players if only we could just stop the skill errors and also kick goals when the chance presents. Because we get enough chances. Eddies 4 behinds on the weekend - all gettable make a big difference.

Hardwick played in 2 premierships and saw success as a player , Kevin sheedy and mark Williams as his coaches

Hardwick bought mark williams to tigers to help them ...

Honestly I don’t think Teague is for us and the whole coaching needs to go at the end of year

We need a senior coach to make this team believe to play selfless ,do sacrifices for each other and play
For each other

Teague doesn’t have that mental skill and experience to do that with this team

And that’s a very important factor to
Make this team gel , look what fagan done with the lions , he got all them
To buy in

We need a Ross Lyon or mark Williams

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 266  Next