Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:58 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Harry, Walsh and Cuningham.
Jones' 2nd half.
Liked the MC actually tried a few different moves.
At least we didn't throw in the towel.

Cons:

Horrible 2nd quarter.
They simply don't believe they can win against good opposition. We had our chances early in the game to put the boot on the opposition. Then again later in the game to regain the lead. But too many mistakes and missed opportunities from senior players.
Casboult and Pittonet kept getting outmarked.
Small forwards couldn't win the ball or stop the opposition.
I know we were trying to move the ball quickly, but so many of our handballs to running players were diabolical.
For a quality kick, Williams' ball use was terrible. Same with Stocker, although he looked overawed by the AFL tempo.
I wish we'd stop giving it to Cripps whenever he's anywhere near the play.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:11 pm 
Craig Bradley

Handed the match to Brisbane on a platter because of second quarter
Diabolical
As usual bull..... talk during the week not matched by action

4 players won their positions H Walsh Weitering Jones can win if that’s the case

Worse 4 players on the ground Pitto Casboult Eddie and Murphy not too far behind and also McGovern

Williams a major disappointment

Both captains better than those above but not influential

Newnes average as well

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

Gotta say anyone who is happy with that performance has been beaten down by 20 years of failure.

We don’t run. We don’t help our teammates, we don’t run to create space.

Rob Murphy said tonight we are soulless. He is right.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:15 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

There is a lot of problems at Carlton. It's not like all we need to do is fix one or two things. There's about a half dozen. That is endemic of a broader problem.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

We have no system to move the ball. Even in the first quarter we got the ball forward seemingly by good fortune somehow.

I'm not a coach hater but 5 goal runs and no system of ball movement raises questions that can't be answered without looking at coaching.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:27 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Why try to rationalise one game at a time?

Why not look at the players who are there and why they are?

Beyond Sam Walsh, and I don't think any recruiter could have missed him, what midfielder has Silvagni picked who spends regular time in the centre square?
Please don't try the play the kids line. They are palpably not good enough.

The list is nowhere near good enough, especially considering the picks the club has had.

The media and one eyed supporters keep talking about Carlton as improvers. The reality is that the club's recruiting, headed by Silvagni, has been dreadful.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

McConville33 wrote:
Why try to rationalise one game at a time?

Why not look at the players who are there and why they are?

Beyond Sam Walsh, and I don't think any recruiter could have missed him, what midfielder has Silvagni picked who spends regular time in the centre square?

The list is nowhere near good enough, especially considering the picks the club has had.

The media and one eyed supporters keep talking about Carlton as improvers. The reality is that the club's recruiting, headed by Silvagni, has been dreadful.

Just watching the Dees....Petracca, Oliver, Salem, Viney, and probably a few on the periphery I'm not familiar with. Pure mids galore.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Good start but should have taken more opportunities. Then the push came from Brisbane in the second quarter and the players literally shit themselves. Gave the game away and then played reasonable football for the rest of the game.

Take aways from this game.

Betts is done. Absolutely no doubt. Give Owies his shot.
Casboult gives us nothing.
Pittonet is an awful ruckman and offers virtually nothing.
And the big one for me... I've thought it a few times, but I am now firmly in the let's be bold and trade Cripps. But not for picks. Must be for a genuine gun young mid. Brayshaw would be the one. Brayshaw and their first pick and I'm all in. But it must be juicy. He's not in the same class as Judd but the Judd trade is the template. Must extract maximum value. I'd even like to see this side minus Cripps for a couple of weeks just to see if they play together better when they are not so Cripps conscious. Firstly they give to him when they shouldn't and he calls for it when he shouldn't. Then when he does get it, he just tries to do far too much, and opposition know he is going to do it so sweat on it. I love Crippa, but I now genuinely think our way forward is without him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

How’s the rebuild going

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:46 pm 
Bob Chitty

That’s the first game in a long time I chose not to watch. I’m a beaten man who can’t take the disappointment/frustration anymore. So I haven’t seen the game. But does it feel worse inside our Carlton passion bubble than outside? We didn’t lose by 40 to the Suns like Sydney did today. We didn’t lose by 97 like WCE did today. We didn’t lose to the Lions by 57 like Essendon* did last week.

We lost by 18 to Brisbane. Is it really that bad?

Ps: I think not watching the game agrees with me :smile:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:48 pm 
Bob Chitty

Well the last two weeks have really sucked the life out of our season. We’re quite simply not good enough and not really close.
Second quarter was pathetic
The rest was neither here nor there - a few very strong performances (Walsh, H, Weitering) and a whole lot of very average to bad performances
Hard to keep engaged when we are quite clearly a long way off

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:54 pm 
Robert Walls

6 games in and we are cooked. The seasons are ending earlier for us each year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:55 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crippa wrote:
That’s the first game in a long time I chose not to watch. I’m a beaten man who can’t take the disappointment/frustration anymore. So I haven’t seen the game. But does it feel worse inside our Carlton passion bubble than outside? We didn’t lose by 40 to the Suns like Sydney did today. We didn’t lose by 97 like WCE did today. We didn’t lose to the Lions by 57 like Essendon** did last week.

It was a 10 goal loss disguised as 3 goal loss. For me, it was our worst performance of the year because I actually didn’t think Brisbane played very well. Whereas Port were impressive last week. Even Collingwood on the night were good when we played them. Brisbane were gettable today and we stunk it up in that 2nd quarter. For the other 3 quarters we had enough of the play but lacked the system and/or skill to capitalise on the scoreboard (a familiar tale).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:55 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Crippa wrote:
That’s the first game in a long time I chose not to watch. I’m a beaten man who can’t take the disappointment/frustration anymore. So I haven’t seen the game. But does it feel worse inside our Carlton passion bubble than outside? We didn’t lose by 40 to the Suns like Sydney did today. We didn’t lose by 97 like WCE did today. We didn’t lose to the Lions by 57 like Essendon** did last week.

Short answer, yes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

Why are we so average 6 years into a rebuild?
Thoughts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

McConville33 wrote:

Yep it is clear that that Dow, SPS and O'Brien aren't good enough, and this combined with the injuries to Charlie and Marchbank has resulted in our "rebuild" being a failure.
It is scary that our recruiters rated Stocker the 6th best player of his draft. I know it is easy to sound wise after the event but I never understood why we went after McGovern.
I'm still hoping that maybe the likes of TDK, Kemp, Philp and Carroll might improve our situation.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:07 pm 
Serge Silvagni

keogh wrote:
Thoughts

Leadership. The fish rots at the head.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

BlueJean wrote:
keogh wrote:
Thoughts

At board level?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:28 pm 
Bob Chitty

I have seen 18 point losses that are thrashings where the winner kicks 1 goal 12 more. I have seen 18 point thrashings in junior and womens football or in terrible conditions where it is something like 3.1 to 0.1. But I don't think I have ever seen a thrashing with that high a score line, only 3 scoring shots difference and only 18 points in it. Until today. We won every quarter bar the second albeit not by much but we were taken apart in the second and never looked like it thereafter. That second quarter was well deserving of the Bob Murphy description "souless". Good on them for not collapsing in the second half, but really that second quarter was a disgrace. Harford at the AFLW B & F last night talked about how about 15 minutes of poor football over the course of the season killed the Gamechangers hopes for the year. The men similarly tend to put in a real stinker of a period here and there but they seem to do so more often and for longer. It seems to me that when we stop effing up for a while we do quite well - take the third quarter apart from Walsh taking the team on his back we didn't do anything particularly well but we cut out the bloopers for a while and got on top. Then back the mistakes came, the missed easy targets, the sloppy turnovers and bang there we were, gone again. And it seems to me, without having sat down and analysed it or gone back over recent games, that this is often the way of it and decent opposition can always rely on us to hand the game to them.

Or is it just the post loss funk speaking?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
BlueJean wrote:
keogh wrote:
Thoughts

At board level?

was waiting for this one keogh, your bait worked.

yes, at board level. also, every other bloody level.

what is the match committee doing? what is the director of football doing?

it aint just the board, buddy