Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:25 am 
Robert Walls

sinbagger wrote:
I think we’ll win today and there will be much back slapping amongst the players, we might even win two in a row, then we’ll lose the next three. Then the story will repeat.

One swallow does not make a summer.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:27 am 
Rod Ashman

Blues21 wrote:
sammywaslow wrote:
Can’t seem to reserve my AFL members seat for today. Is there a chance AFL members are sold out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely none. No one wants to go to this game hence why it is in the grave yard time slot of 3.20 Easter Sunday.

I’m going :garthp:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:44 am 
Stephen Kernahan

WOW wrote:
How can Casboult still find a place in this team. He has been deplorable for an extended period and part of our losing culture.

Hanging our hat on his ability to play second ruck is nonsensical.

Surely we need to move on.

When he's fit and confident, Casboult is currently in our best 22 IMHO.
Unfortunately he's not fit, prepared or contributing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:55 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
redback wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
I hope our 32 year old tagger sits on their 35 yo midfielder and linkman, Mundy.

Let Ed do what he does best, and adds value to the team.

Quote:
Some coaches allow a high-possession opposition player to take full charge, and gain confidence before trying to negate his effectiveness. By then it is generally too late. If a tag makes even just the slightest difference in providing a positive outcome, it is worth it.

There are some players in the competition, like Ed Curnow and Matt de Boer, who are not free-running ball magnets, but when given a job like a tag become extremely effective.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mick-malthouse-art-of-defence-in-danger-of-being-eroded-from-afl-history/news-story/767c2e707f28f1812e779931fc84532c

Teague has to use this weapon from the get go. Give Ed a job, an important one from the get go, not after half time when the damage is done.

We have no replacement for Ed, but he can show any potential heir to his thrown how to apply a hard tag on an opponent and get a kick himself.

We do not need a tagger, we need accountable footballers who are coached well to defend their player when needed and have good skills to attack when we win the ball.

redback, in this post, I'm talking about one player. The nickalexan@optusnet.com.au who when he plays wing first 2 rounds doesnt do the role justice, and as soon as he's been given a role in the 2nd half, both games, he has excelled and quelled his opponent.

Why play Ed if he doesn't tag? He's one who at least gets his share of disposals when he does tag. He can tag and frankly, his skills are questionable; don't you reckon?

I agree 100% with your assessment but i am in the corner of we must move on from Curnow. This is a game where Curnow should at the very least be rested and try a younger player.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:32 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I don't understand that reasoning whatsoever. Ed reduced Adams' effectiveness significantly last week when he finally went to him. That's his role and it's one he has performed very well for years.
Our midfield is lacking accountability already and you want to remove our only accountable mid. :?
If you want to try a youngster, drop Murphy. Not the hardest worker in the team.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:37 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Quote:
If I look at last year’s All-Australian backline, the one common thread is that these players back themselves against their direct opponent — Brad Sheppard, Harris Andrews, Luke Ryan, Nick Haynes, Darcy Moore and Darcy Byrne-Jones weren’t picked for their attacking flair. They were picked because of their ability to play hard, tough, unrelenting, one-on-one defence, and then came the flair.

Natural flair is incidental compared to defensive work.

But watching last year and particularly looking at the Round 2 Carlton-Collingwood match, Lachie Plowman (is not the Blues’ Robinson Crusoe) and Liam Jones to a degree, allowed their opponents (Jordan De Goey, Brody Mihocek and Mason Cox) too much room and the luxury of leading into space. It was Carlton’s downfall.

Sam Docherty, who I love as a player and who is coming off knee issues, needs to address his starting point and become a lot more physical. As co-captain he can’t go another match without a tackle. He must set a physical example for a tame Blues’ backline.

Contrast that with the way Nick Vlastuin, Dylan Grimes, Brayden Maynard, Darcy Moore, Jeremy Howe, Andrew Harris, Callum Wilkie and Jeremy McGovern transition their play from highly defensive to offensive at the right time, and you can see why these players are so hard to beat one-on-one.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mick-malthouse-art-of-defence-in-danger-of-being-eroded-from-afl-history/news-story/767c2e707f28f1812e779931fc84532c

2 things today for the defenders:

Don't go blaming the coach for your man, and Its time to tighten up on your man, to make sure they know of your presence, and, mids, or 7th defender, fill the holes to block the leading lane. Simple stuff.

FFS, Tackle, Tackle, Harass, Harass, Spoil, Shepherd, Block, Scratch, knee, elbow...win the one on one, and stop this stupid laid back method of defense called "corralling". Supporters are sick of this Carlton way of defending.

There's plenty of examples now of how winning footy is played in 2021 of the virtues of attacking the ball and man instead of the insipid corralling, see Crows, Swans and Freo...and even Druggies can do it now.

If we attack the man and ball with ferocity, we play to our strengths as a contested team, we can win this by 10 goals today.

Its a fast track, where marking strength should help with the win. Harry, Levi and Silvagni should be fit to play this week (MC, I'm looking at Levi). They hold the advantage of height in the forwardline so I expect 10 from them alone.

Go Blues

Happy Easter

1. Corralling is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of what Richmond do. Get it through your flowering half-wit heads coaches. Do the maths...if you run at an opponent at say 4 m/s and you either corral or hesitate for 1/2 a second, that's a 2m gift of space you have given your opponent. Also, do the physics. If you hesitate and have to start running again after hesitating, your momentum when you tackle is diminished. Go at the ball carrier with momentum and intent to tackle and your own momentum increases the effectiveness of the tackle SIGNIFICANTLY
2. Watch Sydney yesterday...if you are going to be tackled, tap it on to the next contest rather than pick it up only to be tackled. It's COMMON FLOWERING SENSE

Lose today and Teague's AFL coaching career is hanging by a thread...and that's not being dramatic (0-3 with GC over there and PA in the next two weeks)

Perfect physics lesson 99.

Blues just have to look at what they can do from what they did do against the Bulldogs last year. We smothered them. Didn't let them play that pinball handball game...we did as you said 99...didnt give 'em an inch by not thinking about attacking them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:39 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
WOW wrote:
How can Casboult still find a place in this team. He has been deplorable for an extended period and part of our losing culture.

Right on!

Hasn't been right since round 7 ish last year...but when he's on, he's on.

Andrew Russell doesn't know how to read Levi imo...or the MC are living in hope: great game plan by them :roll:

Lets hope today he proves he needed the last 2 to be conditioned for the big time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
WOW wrote:

And there it is summed up in a brief statement.
Casboult fit or not should be in no teams best 22

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Come on Bluebaggers

My maths genius 13yo just told me if we win by 74 points we get into the 8.

Just get the 4 points first, thyen the rest will look after itself.

Gotta go 100% for 100% of the time...without burning out in red time ofcouse.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:44 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
I don't understand that reasoning whatsoever. Ed reduced Adams' effectiveness significantly last week when he finally went to him. That's his role and it's one he has performed very well for years.
Our midfield is lacking accountability already and you want to remove our only accountable mid. :?
If you want to try a youngster, drop Murphy. Not the hardest worker in the team.

No need to be confused bv, drop them both.
Curnow is a great tagger as i have mentioned before but he turns the ball over nearly as much what he gets it. If you cannot dispose of the ball for your sides advantage then you are disadvantaging them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:46 am 
Rod Ashman

Roof open or closed today?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:54 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

As the self confessed president of the nervous Nellie club, I get all the negativity and pessimism. We’ve endured some dark, dark times. I presume we are all craving some sunshine and growing increasingly impatient for some level of success (ie winning regularly).

We haven’t got the job done 2 games in and have been well off the mark particularly defensively. I was very, very flat after the Coll game.

I will never be one though that ‘hopes we lose’. Never ever will I want Carlton to lose.

So today I fear, like always, that we may stink it up but hope like hell we dont. Praying for a win.

I’ll be watching for our ‘response’ and how long it lasts. I’ll be watching to see if our mids work their asses off both ways. I’ll be watching our pressure, intent and tackling. I’ll be watching our F50 entries and if we just bomb it long to the talls with no apparent system. I’ll be watching to see how we approach and deal with Mundy, Walters and their young, hungry and quick mids.

Here’s hoping for a nice win to kickstart our season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

The predicament we are in having lost the first 2 games is that we cannot come out of this match confident.
We can lose and then we are in real big trouble and Teague might struggle to see out the year.
But even if we win, and win we’ll, it won’t tell us a whole lot.
Same with next week.
We need to win 3 or 4 games in a row AND beat a clearly strong team before I will feel like we’re heading in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:59 pm 
Ken Hunter

CFC8795 wrote:
Roof open or closed today?

I would imagine it will be closed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

I agree 17thP

We are a decent chance against GC with their depleted ruck stocks. But we've got to knock off a good team or two to really get moving.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

david31 wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
I just want to say that it pisses me off when a team like Sydney comes out and thoroughly beats Richmond.
Why are we not able to do that?
(The only similar one I can remember of late was against the Bulldogs last year).
Just saying.

Agree 17th - annoys me too
But I think you’ll have the answer as to why we can’t do it in about an hour when the teams are announced
Sydney back their youth in, develop them properly and actually play players on merit
They also have their academy which helps
We talk about making statements and then pick players who aren’t performing and don’t play with the right intent just because they’ve been around for 10 years

Even if we had a academy we would stuff it up !!

We have NGA where are those kids

We don’t know how to develop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:20 pm 
Bruce Doull

I give us zero hope today.

I want them to prove me wrong and make me look like a @#$%&! dill.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Things I want to see? Intensity and not having 6 players attack the contest. We're getting smashed by teams getting the ball outside the contest to players on their own. I want to see awareness of players waiting to receive the loose ball.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:33 pm 
Ken Hunter

redback wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

No need to be confused bv, drop them both.
Curnow is a great tagger as i have mentioned before but he turns the ball over nearly as much what he gets it. If you cannot dispose of the ball for your sides advantage then you are disadvantaging them.

I’ve mentioned this few times. Unfortunately it’s time to move on form Ed. He doesn’t fit in as a rotation and as a starting midfielder, he makes us very slow and in affective offensively. Sad but it is what it is.

Our best and more potential starting midfield is Crippa, Williams & Walsh. We can debate until the cows come home but this is our best currently. Rotations from our current 22 should be from Setters, Martin, Dow, Fisher, Gibbo, Murphy. Others such as Stocker and Kennedy should be pushing hard.
This isn’t including the wingers such as SPS, Williamson, O’Brien, Newnes, Carroll, Philp, etc.

As for the Casboult debate, I feel Teague decided to play him round 1 to get him fit and up and running.
No doubt his option was to play Oscar instead, but he put faith in Casboult, who has the runs on the board and I would say is backing him in to get him match fit by the end of the month. I think we’ll see a different Casboult over the next 2 weeks, if not then his injury is worse then we know and then Teague has made a huge error.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:38 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
Things I want to see? Intensity and not having 6 players attack the contest. We're getting smashed by teams getting the ball outside the contest to players on their own. I want to see awareness of players waiting to receive the loose ball.

Absolutely, plus our centre clearances to have some planned execution and our ruckman to tap to advantage to our midfielders and not the Kruezer tap to feet.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next