Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Icke Gone
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:35 pm 
Robert Walls

CK95 wrote:
Well, a pimply faced CK95 strolled into the CFC one day in late '92, requesting to speak to Mr Walsh. My Blues supporting husemate & I had seen the Carlton newspaper advert seeking expressions of interest from those able to provide lodgings for Blues interstate & country recruits.

Hey, we thought our uni share accom hovel near rathdowne fitted the bill perfectly - after all, we were both Carlton supporters, it was close to PP, he could have the spare room & we could help the lad settle in to Melbourne life. AND attain mega popularity for ourselves at the same time! WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE????

The look on Geoff's face as he calmly explained to me they were really seeking large homes & family environments where all cooking, cleaning etc could be provided was priceless :lol: :lol:

Good times

Post of the week :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

We should have hired Pelchen...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:29 am 
Vale 1953-2020

AGRO wrote:
JohnM wrote:
Balme's a good operator. He'd be great.

Agro might blow a gasket though.

Walsh would be nice too.

Couldn't think of anyone worse at Carlton except Sheedy. I think I would prefer Himmler or Hess. :roll:

Be interesting to see Balme front up to a Spirit of Carlton committee meeting........

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:33 am 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:
Well, a pimply faced CK95 strolled into the CFC one day in late '92, requesting to speak to Mr Walsh. My Blues supporting husemate & I had seen the Carlton newspaper advert seeking expressions of interest from those able to provide lodgings for Blues interstate & country recruits.

Hey, we thought our uni share accom hovel near rathdowne fitted the bill perfectly - after all, we were both Carlton supporters, it was close to PP, he could have the spare room & we could help the lad settle in to Melbourne life. AND attain mega popularity for ourselves at the same time! WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE????

The look on Geoff's face as he calmly explained to me they were really seeking large homes & family environments where all cooking, cleaning etc could be provided was priceless :lol: :lol:

Good times

This is awesome :lol: I bet you looked at him blankly when he said "cleaning" too :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:37 am 
Vale 1953-2020

Elwood Blues1 wrote:
Like to get Geoff Walsh back and we dont need sniper like that scum Balme at our club..he finished Geoff Southby as a player with his gutless hit and he should never be considered for a role at our club ever and that goes for Milburn as well...

Lets put things in perspective Elwood. That happened in Southby's third year. Geoff then went on to play a total of around 280 games for us. I wouldn't say he finished him as a player. What he did do was contribute to unsettling the club for a few years, which ultimately led to our most recent golden period. Check out http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=159.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:35 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Why did we let Icke go so soon before trade week? I understand if there was conflict with the coach a parting of ways may have been inevitable, but surely Icke would have had a lot of intel on players and strategies designed for trade week. Why not keep him until after trade week if not draft week?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:41 pm 
Rod Ashman

aramari wrote:
Why did we let Icke go so soon before trade week? I understand if there was conflict with the coach a parting of ways may have been inevitable, but surely Icke would have had a lot of intel on players and strategies designed for trade week. Why not keep him until after trade week if not draft week?

Its been reported that he walked. I guess when people walk, there is not a lot you can do about it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:30 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

baz_baz wrote:
aramari wrote:

Its been reported that he walked. I guess when people walk, there is not a lot you can do about it

A lot of conflicting reports...I also read that Icke was "shocked" to be let go.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:16 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We really could have used Icke to work on our highly complex trade dealings this week :beer:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:49 pm 
Trevor Keogh

Let's just say that it is co-incidental that once Ratts two year contract extension was signed Icke was informed his services were no longer required. Prior to that time there was never any indication that Icke would not remin in the role. Maybe there was some resentment to the previous review of the coach's performance. Badly managed whatever the real reason as we could have used Icke during trade week.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:18 am 
Wayne Johnston

Could Riley be moving into Ickes old job ? He was once rumoured to be on the move to WC for a similar position and Williams has now been brought in to handle the midfield.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:12 am 
Stephen Silvagni

amazonstud wrote:
Let's just say that it is co-incidental that once Ratts two year contract extension was signed Icke was informed his services were no longer required. Prior to that time there was never any indication that Icke would not remin in the role. Maybe there was some resentment to the previous review of the coach's performance. Badly managed whatever the real reason as we could have used Icke during trade week.
club29 wrote:
Could Riley be moving into Ickes old job ? He was once rumoured to be on the move to WC for a similar position and Williams has now been brought in to handle the midfield.
still would love to know who exactly was responsible for the McLean trade ? :cool:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:00 am 
Stephen Silvagni

amazonstud wrote:
Prior to that time there was never any indication that Icke would not remin in the role.

You obviously weren't paying attention. There was speculation earlier in the season Icke could move on to another club.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:05 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

If Synbads rumour of cap pressure is correct and this bloke was the list manager it might explain why he was punted

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:37 am 
Wayne Johnston

If i was a guessing man i would say that Icke and Ratts disagreed about the type of players we needed to draft in the last draft.

I also think the salary cap pressure stuff is of our own design. Swann said during the year that we had been clever with our payments which has left us a some spare cash to recruit a player. By clever i reckon he means they front loaded contracts when fev and stevens left.

My guess is they sat down and decided to back the list we have for 2012 and decided to use 100% of our cap this year to free up space for next season when there may be better options coming available. ie young players who went to GC.

I dont think Ickes role in the Brock trade came into him being axed. The trade had merit and also left us a number of chances to pick up good players. Jpod and Barlow spring to mind. Unfortunately we missed those two and the failure of Brock to make an impact has amplified things.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:39 am 
Bruce Doull

didn't get on with ratten on a few issues dating back to mclean.
they didn't talk in two years.
swann couldn't fix it.
this town is not big enough for all the egos around the place.
something happened d to give.
bye bye icke.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

The Icke rots at the head?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Synbad wrote:
didn't get on with ratten on a few issues dating back to mclean.
they didn't talk in two years.
swann couldn't fix it.
this town is not big enough for all the egos around the place.
something happened d to give.
bye bye icke.

But who got us nearly over the cap according to a post I read earlier
Getting rid of him is a good thing then

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:16 pm 
Trevor Keogh

camelboy wrote:
The Icke rots at the head?

:razz: :razz: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:13 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I wonder whether Barry Mitchell would be a good fit for this job?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next