Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: AFLW2021
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:00 am 
Stephen Kernahan

AGRO wrote:
We should calm the farm a little bit - these next few drafts are going to be the girls that have come through playing football from Auskick junior level - the more picks we have the better.

You will see less and less “cross coders” coming through and dominating the competition and hopefully less of them entering the competition and more and more “true footballers” taking precedence.

We’re going to get some really good players with those picks.

It’s the right thing to do.

Spot on. In real terms, we have 2 top 7 selections of the Victorian girls which will improve our top end talent significantly. Then picks 14 and 16. 4 picks in the top 16? The recruiters should have no excuses there. We're looking to top up the list with midfield talent and this should help that. Not to make wholesale changes.

I thought Jess Hosking was lucky to hold her spot on the list last year. I love her effort but she butchers the ball. Each year the young girls are coming through and making the "old school" women's players more redundant. Better skills, better athletes and better footy IQ.
Harris is a freak athlete but a dumb footballer who showed minimal commitment to her footy at Carlton. We've learnt from the mens program that conditional players infect the list.

Out of the losses, Dalton is the one we'll miss but AFLW is understandably her second priority.

Post subject: AFLW2021
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:10 am 
Bruce Doull

That's an important point, we're replacing crossover athletes with footballers.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:30 am 
Bert Deacon

bondiblue wrote:
Bottom line, one of the best or the best, Brianne was a game changer, and Munro gave her away because he didn't want to pay the price, prefering to go for a rebuild?? Is this a normal Carlton thing? Rebuild after rebuild, during rebuild?

FFS we were on the cusp of a GF and guess what, they player Munro traded out, Brianne, took the Magpies to a GF, because like SOS with Saad, he was TOO tight and didn't have the nous to know what a good investment, let alone a return (in Tayla and Jess' situation). Thank god they lost it.
Minor detail bondi, Brett Munro didn't takeover as AFLW list manager until Feb 2020. I believe it was Wayne Siekman in charge of that area at the time Davey was traded out during April 2019.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

snakehips wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Bottom line, one of the best or the best, Brianne was a game changer, and Munro gave her away because he didn't want to pay the price, prefering to go for a rebuild?? Is this a normal Carlton thing? Rebuild after rebuild, during rebuild?

FFS we were on the cusp of a GF and guess what, they player Munro traded out, Brianne, took the Magpies to a GF, because like SOS with Saad, he was TOO tight and didn't have the nous to know what a good investment, let alone a return (in Tayla and Jess' situation). Thank god they lost it.
Minor detail bondi, Brett Munro didn't takeover as AFLW list manager until Feb 2020. I believe it was Wayne Siekman in charge of that area at the time Davey was traded out during April 2019.

:thumbsup:

All I'm saying is that we should have got much better draft picks for Tayla and jess than pick 32, 22 & 27.

Since I watched Munro's interview, I feel his pain at losing Jess, and he did say there was not much he could do being blindsided, and got the best we could. That's better than the spin.

Lets see what they select with those 4 x top 16 picks.

We did something like this the previous year and went backwards. I know tayla was part of the reason too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:26 pm 
formerly Fevola

its hard this year with all the picks they handed out to Geelong, Richmond etc.

I am sure we would have loved to Nab Maddies sister. But no way that will happen.

We just need to get her to sign for one year and then request a trade the following year.

Plus Tayla would have probably retired for a year if she didnt go where she wanted so they had us by the short and curlies. No choice there.

And bloody Jess told us the last second she wanted to go. I guess we should have said no, but do we really want her here if she wanted to go. I would have delisted her if the trade didnt happen. But thats me personally.

Dalton is the one we should have cashed in on for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:55 pm 
Robert Walls

I respect that they are making some serious changes to a list that wasn't good enough this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:31 pm 
Bob Chitty

So we have 25 players on the list, could sign one or two DFAs before the draft if we wanted. I doubt we would sign 2 given we have 4 picks in the top 16 Vics which should give us quality options. One experienced player might be worth thinking about. Rocky Cranston might have a point to prove and would be a fairly like for like swap with Harris, whilst the loss we weren't expecting is inside mid Hosking and maybe an experienced hand there would be worth thinking about, but I don't know who there is worth looking at. Alternatively Phoebe Monahan is inside albeit a defender (where Hosking ended up last year) and has a long kick which is handy. AFL site has this article:

https://womens.afl/news/72742/pick-me-t ... ind-a-home

Kaslar is probably not within our age profile, Svarc would offer welcome pace off half back or wing. Forth still only 24 has a wealth of experience and no disgrace to be cut by Adelaide. Any interest in these guys, or anyone else?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:56 am 
Bob Chitty

So we have picks 10,11,23,26 and 40 or more pertinently in the Victorian pool these are picks 6,7,14,16 & 24.

I would have thought there is no chance that either Georgia Prespakis or Charlie Rowbottom will get down to our first pick - they seem to be consensus 1 & 2 probably Rowbottom first. After that the field seems to even out and there doesn't seem much consensus. Assuming those 2 are gone before we get a pick these seem to be the names in rough consensus order in the Victorian pool that might get through to us:

Stella REID 173cm left footed w/hf OAKLEIGH CHARGERS
Ella FRIEND 175cm tall utility GWV Rebels (ex Horsham) - might chose Geelong?
Tara SLENDER 175cm tall utility PIONEERS - mainly fwd or mid strong ohead
Nyakoat DOJIOK 175cm KD can play fwd Rebels - elite athlete but is KD where we have needs?
Tess CRAVEN 163cm in mid Geelong Falcons
Tahlia GILLARD 189cm KF/Ru Calder Cannons strong ohead but skilful on ground - rate her highly
Amanda LING 161cm mid Oakleigh - star of last GF which always bodes well for prospects of succeeding at next level
Jayde ANTHONY 166cm top ager def/util DANDENONG
Annie LEE 169cm defender GEELONG FALCONS - might chose Geelong?
Aurora SMITH 165cm defender Geelong Falcons - might choose Geelong?
Maeve CHAPLIN 162cm def/mid top ager Northern Knights has played VFLW at Blues
Poppy SCHAAP 153cm mid/fwd captain of Falcons - might choose Geelong?
Perry KING 169cm Tasmanian mid - might be claimed by North
Gabbi FEATHERSTONE 169cm KF Geelong Falcons - might chose Geelong?
Neve CROWLEY 175cm mid/fwd Calder Cannons
Megan KIELY mid NM VFLW
Ingrid HOUTSMA 176cm wing Geelong Falcons - might choose Geelong?
Emilia YASSIR - 160cm mid/fwd Calder Cannons - some rate very highly
Maykaylah APPLEBY - 171cm wing or flank either end - quick and good disposal like this player some rate very highly
Imogen MILFORD 179cm KF Casey
Elizabeth DOWLING 171cm utility Geelong Falcons - might choose Geelong?
Oliva MEAGHER 157cm mid top ager tough EASTERN captain
Jorja BORG 182cm Ru Carlton VFLW - mature (1998 birthdate) Carlton VFLW ruck has been excellent

That takes us through to Carlton's last available pick (as I understand it) so I won't go any further other than to note a few more names connected to the Blues - Tarrah Delgado from the Knights has played with the Blues VFLW team whilst Akaylah Peterson, Ally Bild and Jennifer Lew of the VFLW team seem to show AFLW traits.

Given the fairly broad range of opinion after the players that won't likely last to us, we may well be tempted to look to needs a fair bit. It seems to me we need midfield speed, a rebounding defender and a KF who can pinch hit in the ruck would seem to me to be priorities. The loss of Hosking might add an inside player into the mix but I am inclined to the view that even without her and given we have Dal Pos coming in we are more in need of the speed and a tall athlete forward/ruck. Assuming no Prespakis or Rowbottom I'd lean towards GILLARD at first or second pick (they are back to back so no matter which) along with REID and then quick players from there on (unless we go small early in which case I'd like to see a tall later on) and maybe BORG if we want a mature ruck backup with plenty of footy ahead of her. I see value in this - as our list currently stands if MOODY goes down we have GIBBS whi is pretty green and then no real backup for her.

Something like

GILLARD
REID
SLENDER
APPLEBY
BORG

would do me fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
AGRO wrote:
We should calm the farm a little bit - these next few drafts are going to be the girls that have come through playing football from Auskick junior level - the more picks we have the better.

You will see less and less “cross coders” coming through and dominating the competition and hopefully less of them entering the competition and more and more “true footballers” taking precedence.

Spot on. In real terms, we have 2 top 7 selections of the Victorian girls which will improve our top end talent significantly. Then picks 14 and 16. 4 picks in the top 16? The recruiters should have no excuses there. We're looking to top up the list with midfield talent and this should help that. Not to make wholesale changes.

I thought Jess Hosking was lucky to hold her spot on the list last year. I love her effort but she butchers the ball. Each year the young girls are coming through and making the "old school" women's players more redundant. Better skills, better athletes and better footy IQ.
Harris is a freak athlete but a dumb footballer who showed minimal commitment to her footy at Carlton. We've learnt from the mens program that conditional players infect the list.

Out of the losses, Dalton is the one we'll miss but AFLW is understandably her second priority.

I'm not exactly sure how the Vic picks / national draft works but I can't see the 4 x Top 16 picks.

Our first pick earned for being 7th of the AFLW ladder was pick 8. Not sure how we have missed on that.

But we have pick 10, 11, 23, 26 then 40 and 58.

Quote:
GWS GIANTS trade Jessica Dal Pos, selection 10 and selection 27 to Carlton for Chloe Dalton and Katie Loynes.

What a great Trade that turned out getting pick 10 and Dal Pos.

Where's Pick 8, or whatever our first pick gone? Did it become pick 11 or 12? because we upgraded 12 for 11 in a swap of picks.

The deals we got for Hosking and Harris look really bad for us. Neither gave us a Top 20 selection.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:29 am 
Bert Deacon

bondiblue wrote:
Where's Pick 8, or whatever our first pick gone? Did it become pick 11 or 12? because we upgraded 12 for 11 in a swap of picks.
Agreed it's pretty confusing but here goes ...
- Our original pick 8 (for finishing 7th) got pushed out to pick 12 because Gold Coast and Geelong each got two priority picks
- That pick 12 then got traded (along with our pick 27) to the Bulldogs for their 11 and 57

So after trades we've ended up with picks 10 (from GWS), 11 (from Bulldogs), 23 (from Tigers) and 26 (from Collingwood) in the national draft which then shuffle up to become 6, 7, 14 & 16 in the Victorian section of the draft. That's the 4 of the first 16 (in the Victorian section of the draft) that's being mentioned.

We also have pick 24 (in the Vic section) but I'd be surprised if we use that, suspect we might add a DFA instead.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:54 am 
Wayne Johnston

Why is there a need for priority picks in the AFLW? Surely those clubs aren’t in trouble yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

AGRO wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Carlton's Trade Period rated ar the worst of the lot

Quote:
Recruits: Jess Dal Pos (GWS)

Out: Tayla Harris (Melbourne), Jess Hosking (Richmond), Chloe Dalton (GWS), Katie Loynes (GWS), Alison Downie, Jess Edwards, Winnie Laing (delisted)

Current draft picks: 10, 11, 23, 26, 40, 58

Carlton – having already lost Chloe Dalton and Tayla Harris – was blindsided by Jess Hosking's 11th-hour trade request to Richmond. The Blues, who were already a relatively young side, have now been forced to the draft, having only brought in Jess Dal Pos during the Trade Period. Regardless of her performance this year, Harris will be a loss, having always drawn the opposition's No.1 defender. Dalton is also a big blow, but Dal Pos should slot in with ease considering her pre-AFLW connections to some of her teammates.

Trade rating: 3/10

https://womens.afl/news/72727

Like the mens team, they need more mids to help out Prespakis. McEvoy is one who could step up, but like our mens we need some speed in the midfield group.

They had to get some high end talent to the group for next season to create some momentum and open a window. If not, there's always a chance, like the Hosking girls, Prespakis may want to join childhood team, Effendruggies* for their inaugral year.

This year's trade and the spin is a big fail from me too.

Thansk Agro

this helped

G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

snakehips wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Agreed it's pretty confusing but here goes ...
- Our original pick 8 (for finishing 7th) got pushed out to pick 12 because Gold Coast and Geelong each got two priority picks
- That pick 12 then got traded (along with our pick 27) to the Bulldogs for their 11 and 57

So after trades we've ended up with picks 10 (from GWS), 11 (from Bulldogs), 23 (from Tigers) and 26 (from Collingwood) in the national draft which then shuffle up to become 6, 7, 14 & 16 in the Victorian section of the draft. That's the 4 of the first 16 (in the Victorian section of the draft) that's being mentioned.

We also have pick 24 (in the Vic section) but I'd be surprised if we use that, suspect we might add a DFA instead.

Perfectly explained the shakin' serpent. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:45 am 
Bob Chitty

So Gillard eho I would have taken early on slips to our last pfck and we pss - leaving us with Moody and Gibbs as our only rucks. Hate that decision. If we didn't rate Gillard we needed to find some genuine ruck backup IMHO.

Other than that like happy enough with our choices albeit Sherar seems a bit of a stretch but her upside I like. Her kicking is often criticised but to me it is only when under pressure - give her time and space and zi see her as a good kick. Kicking under pressure an be worked on when the mechanics are good if the player isn't an incorrigible panic merchant. And playing her outside and encouraging her to use her hands more when under presure - and on my viewings she has clean hands - also helps alleviate the issue. Fix the kicking CONSISTENCY and e have a potential gem, worth the price. Fail to fix it and we will have overspent.

I wa surprised to seee a number of fans critical of Vernon's disposal. They must have seen stuff I haven't because I really rate her disposal on what I have seen. Run off half back or wing is a good addition.

Overall a solid draft but jeez overlooking Gillard or failing her another ruck I just ddon't get

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:57 pm 
Bob Chitty

So we have now picked up the last piece of the jigsaw and it explains the last pick pass - we must have made a commitment to South Australian mature ruck Jess Good or alternatively still ranked her higher than Gillard or any other options aroiund. And having knowledge of Carlton backflipping on commitments to draft a player from my local club not once ("we'll take you last pick ND" to
"we couldn't pass him at that pick, but don't worry we're absolutely going to rookie you" to being overlooked in the RD not only by Carlton but another club that guaranteed they'd take him if he was still on the board) if it is the case they have stuck by a commitment that is how it should be.

So there is our spare ruck - 26yo 185cm ex pro-basketballer but plenty of football experience and fills an obvious need.

Welcome Jess, and bon chance - or should I say Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:16 am 
Wayne Johnston

ianh wrote:
So we have now picked up the last piece of the jigsaw and it explains the last pick pass - we must have made a commitment to South Australian mature ruck Jess Good or alternatively still ranked her higher than Gillard or any other options aroiund. And having knowledge of Carlton backflipping on commitments to draft a player from my local club not once ("we'll take you last pick ND" to
"we couldn't pass him at that pick, but don't worry we're absolutely going to rookie you" to being overlooked in the RD not only by Carlton but another club that guaranteed they'd take him if he was still on the board) if it is the case they have stuck by a commitment that is how it should be.

So there is our spare ruck - 26yo 185cm ex pro-basketballer but plenty of football experience and fills an obvious need.

Welcome Jess, and bon chance - or should I say Good luck.

Are you intimating that board members try to influence the drafting of the club?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Wasn't sure where else to put this but apparently Nick Dal Santo appointed coach of aints aflw team. What coul possibly go wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/10301 ... Hxstwyj3-U

Quote:
The Carlton Football Club can confirm a member of its AFLW program has tested positive to COVID-19.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

When does the season start?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9