Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Lance got shafted.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:13 pm 
Bruce Doull

The legacy of featuring prominently on the umpires interpretations DVD for shepherding last season resulted in Lance being penalised for the most ludicrous free kick I've seen in ages. Richo leaps 15 minutes before the ball arrives and because Lance did a quick check to see where his opponent was he gets done.

The umpires are pathetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

He is unfairly sacrificed week in week out by the umpires. They give numerous unwarranted frees against him and rarely give he free kicks to him that are obvious to everyone with at least one eye, or he earned.

He's a champion. Never complains. Gets on with the job. He's the AFL's Mr Football (when his kicking for goal is on song).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-carlton-blues--lance-whitnall
9 frees for and 4 against, including last night where he scored 0 - 1.

Averaging 1.8 frees a game due to a 5 - 2 game against Freo.

Currently equal third in the league for frees for as per http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2006&rt=LT&st=FF.

Usually updated by an hour or so after each game. Not even on the page for frees against, Jarrad Waite our 'best' with 5, putting him equal 44th with about 60 players.

I do understand what you're saying though, he gets a rough rub, possibly based on that DVD, but by no means is he being crucified.

Post subject: Re: Lance got shafted.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:16 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Wojee wrote:
The legacy of featuring prominently on the umpires interpretations DVD for shepherding last season resulted in Lance being penalised for the most ludicrous free kick I've seen in ages. Richo leaps 15 minutes before the ball arrives and because Lance did a quick check to see where his opponent was he gets done.

The umpires are pathetic.

The Marc Murphy one was worse

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

They hate him, becuase he is the only player in the entire Competition that knows how to bend the system, and the rules in his advantage....

if we were to take the text book and Analyse every free kick was paid against him, very few would stand correct....

he has a Brain of a Genius... he knows whats right and whats wrong, as far as what to do and when.... sadly though, his moves confuses the empires and doesnt give them enough time to think , was he right or Wrong? so they go for their instincts and give free kicks against him...

Denis Pagan, YOU seriously need to find someone who can play in defence..... Your Excuses are lame and we are sick of it.....

had Richo kicked 10 goals, we would have had a real chance of winning, at least knowing that Lance could have kicked those easy goals, Waite and others missed .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

Lance kicked 1.3 - 2 were bread and butter for forwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

dannyboy wrote:

He's always been a bit of a dodgy kick for goal, you'd back him from 0 - 35 but he kicks it pretty flat from further out. Plus he's been in the defensive half and kicking for goal is a lot different to field kicking.

But we don't believe in excuses on here do we... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:32 pm 
Ken Hunter

wasn't blaming Lance just correcting the misguided belief that where Waite and Co were missing Lance would not. he did.

Last edited by dannyboy on Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jimmae wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

He's always been a bit of a dodgy kick for goal, you'd back him from 0 - 35 but he kicks it pretty flat from further out. Plus he's been in the defensive half and kicking for goal is a lot different to field kicking.

You were only 14 in 1999 maybe your memory aint what it used to be. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:54 pm 
Bruce Doull

AGRO wrote:
jimmae wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

You were only 14 in 1999 maybe your memory aint what it used to be. :wink:

I remember 99, I attended about 13 or 14 games that season and I was at the GF, I was shaking due to fever in front of the stereo at home for the prelim, and I remember Lance's kicking style when the distance troubled him. The trajectory of the ball made it look like the footy had been fired out of a sling shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:37 pm 
Rod Ashman

dannyboy wrote:

Just before Lance went onto Richo he kicked one that would have gone through the goals had Waitey provided a shepherd rather than marking the ball in the goal mouth. Make no mistake about it when Lance is in the forward line we look much more threatening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:38 pm 
Rod Ashman

Lance shafted the umpire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:43 pm 
Craig Bradley

malleefowl wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

Just before Lance went onto Richo he kicked one that would have gone through the goals had Waitey provided a shepherd rather than marking the ball in the goal mouth. Make no mistake about it when Lance is in the forward line we look much more threatening.

Simply because our ball carriers were looking for someone other than Fevola on the lead.

Having two people leading to different parts of the arc means the opposition needs two spare players to drop in front.

But Lance's kicking for goal has always been pretty unpredictable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:06 am 
Geoff Southby

Wojee he did the same thing against the Swans and won the free. 2 minutes after the one where it was paid against him, Scotland also tried the 'Whitnall Flap' and won the free.

It's just umpire inconsistency, not a wWhitnall thing. If he looked up he would have won the free but lost his head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:29 am 
Ken Hunter

mallee suggest yoiu watch against that goal of ;lance's/Waite's you're referring to. Lance got that goal because he was moving to the backline (took the ball on the wing, ducked around and sped towards goal). If he had have stayed at CHf it would have been another rebounding ball back to the Tiger's forwardline. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:03 am 
Rod Ashman

dannyboy wrote:
mallee suggest yoiu watch against that goal of ;lance's/Waite's you're referring to. Lance got that goal because he was moving to the backline (took the ball on the wing, ducked around and sped towards goal). If he had have stayed at CHf it would have been another rebounding ball back to the Tiger's forwardline. :wink:

Are you saying that Lance always stays motionless in the forward line? :shock: I was there. I know he took it on the wing, but he is often up there. Whether he was on his way to the backline is immaterial. Players always move around to make position for the ball as required.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:25 am 
Rod McGregor

there was a 10 minute patch during the 3rd quarter, where i saw 3 of the worst decisions ever made all paid against us (no exaggeration), with 2 of the free kicks resulting in goals to the tigers. The AFL really needs to have a look at this little period and work out what happened. I was sickened and threw my remote control across the room (I taped the game and watched it later on).

I'm not one to make excuses, but this was really beyond belief.

SDC, influential in keeping fast food companies in business since 2005.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:36 am 
Bruce Doull

I think the email address for umpiring etc is football.operations AT afl DOT com DOT au

Let's make sure lots get sent, but please be sensible about what you write, and use examples, and maybe they'll pay some attention, rather than dismiss the correspondence as rubbish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:54 pm 
Bruce Doull

It appears the stats vary from site to site...

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/player_profile?pid=697

Here Lance is 14 - 4 in favour :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:35 pm 
Ken Hunter

as soon as he kicks that goal where does Lance run to? Without any runner etc appraoching?

Bet ya can't guess 8)