Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Great Expectations
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:35 pm 
Horrie Clover

We were all pumped up for a big win against the Kangaroos..

I think most of us thought we would make the eight...

But with Thornton and Livo now gone , for a couple of months at least,
should we lower our expectations?

I know it's only one loss and we have players ready and willing to step up
but we've got to admit we've taken a couple of pretty heavy knocks.

Sure is going to be a big test for players and coaching staff over the next
few rounds.

I, FWIW, think we can still challenge strongly for the eight and am realy looking forward to seeing other players like Setanta and Norman as well as Chambers and TLo come into the team...also it was obvious a few guys were not at their best 'for whatever reasons' and think there is a fair bit of improvement achievable...

What do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Every cloud = silver lining

Denis has drummed into this group the importance of opportunity, and to take it when it is there. I'm hoping to see someone grab the opportunity with both hands next Friday night.

My expectations have not changed an inch. Blues for the eight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

If we're honest we have to realise that it will set us back a fair bit.

You take the two key defenders out of any side and you will struggle. Especially in a side like ours whose defence lacks key-position depth. Yes it gives someone else an opportunity but who? Karl is the only option really and let's face it with Karl's nature you wouldn't bet your life on him holding down a key defensive post. We talk about bringing in Setanta, who hasn't played defence in his life, and we have Digby Morrell who is a good player but undersized. Whitnall can play CHB but after showing us what he can do at CHF this pre-season, what's better for the team?

I can't see how any of this won't affect our push for the eight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:18 pm 
Rod Ashman

Id still have us 2 and 3 or better after 5 rounds.

Im thinking that although losing Livingston and Thornton is a big blow and double/triple teaming Fev and Whitnall will be a tactic employed by other teams now, I think we could counter with a couple of moves.

1. Norman into defence with as others have said Houlihan and Lappin pushing forward on the flanks.

2. O Hailpin into the forward line - an extra option for us. Betts there as a crumber.

If Kouta can slowly improve his disposal, we will be getting the hard ball and feeding it to our forward line.

If needed, Whitnal could go down back for a spell because we have the Irishman up there.

Unlike last year, we have good cards that we can play still. Its not over. dont panic.

A thought - how has Chris Bryan been going so far.....

Post subject: todays results
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

After seeing todays results i dont feel so bad.Shit ! The Hawks and Tiges copped a fair shellacking.We were awful but were in the contest for 3 and a half quarters.Pretty competitive all day when you think about it and never chucked in the towel.Bit of experience and promising youth on the sidelines,so im staying optimistic.And dont forget the forgotten man Bentick.Real extractor at stoppages and may prove to be the wild card.Also TLo.Chambers is getting the rave reviews,but i rate TLo a more talented footballer.Would have been the ideal foil yesterday with red and fev being outpointed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:21 pm 
Serge Silvagni

I'm quite confident that with a few more players to debut for Carlton soon, we will catch a few by surprise.

So far our loss doesn't look so bad compared with the beltings some other teams have copped.

Looking forward to the next couple of games for Carlton. Bring on the Bombers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blues2005 wrote:
I can't see how any of this won't affect our push for the eight.

What's more preferable, injuries at the start of the season so our true depth can be tested earlier when the matches are less do-or-die, or injuries later? I think it opens a possibility that more players will actually get the chance to prove themselves at the highest level, which gives us a chance to get more long-term strength.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

Poster on TBV stated that Livingston might play on Friday after all - injury not as bad as first thought.

Any of you guys aware of this..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:40 pm 
Ken Hands

Last year we got spanked came back and won the week after. We looked disinterested for most of the game, didnt chase missed targets, nothing like the slick team that beat West Coast. Probably a good kick in the arse for all the players. Expect a big win v Bombers this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:50 pm 
Horrie Clover

yes blueman...supposedly on 3aw news....anyone else hear anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:05 pm 
Craig Bradley

blueman wrote:
Id still have us 2 and 3 or better after 5 rounds.

Don't we have 2 games interstate coming up? If we can get away with 2 wins after today's loss, I'd be reasonably pleased.

My very vague recollection was that we're playing Essendon*, interstate, interstate, then ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:08 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Pies round 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

BlueJean wrote:
Pies round 3.

So mark that down as a loss. 8)

Seriously, I don't think you guys are that far behind where you were. You're a young side coming off a few pretty dismal years. I don't think the Wizard Cup did you any favours other than puting some much needed cash in your pockets.

It's a young side and it's easy to get a bit over confident after the recent triumph. I believe that was their only mistake. Give them a few weeks to settle back in, get their footing and stabilise around the injured positions and they'll improve again. You have a very strong and talented coach who will no doubt set them straight.

Wojee wrote:
Harmes was out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

mandy wrote:
BlueJean wrote:
Pies round 3.

So mark that down as a loss. 8)

Seriously, I don't think you guys are that far behind where you were. You're a young side coming off a few pretty dismal years. I don't think the Wizard Cup did you any favours other than puting some much needed cash in your pockets.

It's a young side and it's easy to get a bit over confident after the recent triumph. I believe that was their only mistake. Give them a few weeks to settle back in, get their footing and stabilise around the injured positions and they'll improve again. You have a very strong and talented coach who will no doubt set them straight.

CAMPO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:50 am 
Stephen Kernahan

strangeblue wrote:
CAMPO

Why would you say that? I was being NICE! :evil:

Wojee wrote:
Harmes was out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:22 am 
Harry Vallence

We had almost every player down in losing this game as opposed to losing it when the majority plays well. IMO, we lost this game rather than the Kangas winning it. Pagan admitted the boys were mentally down hence the lacklustre performance. This will probably be one of our worst games of the year I reckon... surely we can't have so many of our good players (ie. just about all of them) putting in such a sub-standard performance, all together in the one game, again this year. It's a shame this had to happen in our first game of the season- it makes our team look a lot worse when they play so badly first up.

Let's not make hasty judgements based on one bad game. This side is still capable of huge improvement compared to what they just dished up.

Bottom Line: We will still make the 8!

YARRAN!!