Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Fev on SEN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:52 am 
Rod Ashman

Fev was in the studio at SEN for the Morning Glory show. Once again he handled himself really well.
Was really pumping up Lance and saying how important he is to the functionality of the forward line. Also complemented Tony Doherty for his work in the strengthening department and feels he is much stronger in the legs. He felt that last year he wasn't strong enough physically in the 1-on-1 contest and his work over the summer with his strength has helped.

Geez, everyone is really pumping him up and has jumped on his bandwagon. I hope he can keep his feet on the ground.
Also, interesting to hear that he is out of contract at the end of the year. If he keeps going the way he is, he is going to command a hefty contract. I would suggest Collo and Malouf should try and sign this off as quickly as possible to lock him it at a reasonable rate.

What would Fev command at the end of the year, on the open market, if he gets between 70-90 goals this season? Collo is a good operator so he should be right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:05 am 
Craig Bradley

i actually think fev will be pretty loyal to the club. Again the benefits of having pagan around.

he will certainly ask for more - and he deserves it, but 400k or so is a reasonable request IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:12 am 
Rod Ashman

that's what I was thinking - 400-450K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:47 am 
formerly Fevola

In what context did he mention he was out of contract ? Did he mention anything about discussions with the club or make any comment about it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:51 am 
Craig Bradley

ThePrez wrote:
i actually think fev will be pretty loyal to the club. Again the benefits of having pagan around.

he will certainly ask for more - and he deserves it, but 400k or so is a reasonable request IMO.

I think Fev and Pagan will be like Plough and that Brown prick.

Wherever Pagan goes Fevola will follow....

Last edited by Ponkstar on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:04 am 
Serge Silvagni

I had a dream last night that Pagan left Carlton. Please let it not be true!!!!!!!!!!!!! I woke in a cold sweat. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:05 am 
Rod Ashman

Fevola wrote:
In what context did he mention he was out of contract ? Did he mention anything about discussions with the club or make any comment about it ?

Mr Tedium (Andrew Maher) mentioned that to Fev and asked whereabouts negotiations were in regards to a new contract. Fev responded that negotiations had not commenced and that he would probably need to show some consistent performance through the season before the parties spoke about his next contract.

Nothing to worry about. Probably just waiting for everything to take due course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:59 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Good attitude by Fev - but a 70-90 goal kicker is worth about 400K, with maybe $50K on top for marketing.

Lance won't get as much you would think so his $450-500K would go down to $280 or 300K, which allows us to pay Fev a bit more. Whatever happens, you'd doubt that Fev would leave unless Pagan did.

And if Pagan leaves our club is really in deep s**t.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:09 pm 
Bert Deacon

CarltonClem wrote:
And if Pagan leaves our club is really in deep s**t.

Couldn't agree more with that Clem. Pagan is the fuel that drives our resurgence. A master coach who'll probably yield the club 2 premierships (I have no doubt at all about at least one), in the coming decade.

As for Brendan Fevola, I can't understand why forwards (key forwards) aren't given incentive based contracts. A Base wage and then a certain amount for every goal assist or goal kicked. Think how much better Richo might be at Richmond if they'd done this rather than just hand over $700k a season to him. I believe this deal is to end soon but still it's certainly cost their club - no wonder they got rid of Holland when they did.

I think the incentive based deal is exactly what should be looked at with Whitnal at the end of this year when he's up for renewal. Give him a reasonable base then incentive from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:14 pm 
Ken Hunter

Incentive based contracts are a very dangerous thing these days and if the team as a whole does well over a year, the salary cap could be easily breached. We all know what happens from there, don't we. :evil:

I think Collo is quite astute here and we won't have anything to worry about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:45 pm 
Rod Ashman

Interesting that it was said that there was a dream that Pagan left Carlton.

Ive mentioned before, I had this wild dream in 2001, before our fall and penalties - that we were going to win a spoon, have serious financial problems and go through a dark time, but re emerge with a very young team.

We had ups and downs but were in the lower part of the eight at the end of what was thought to be a team building year.

We ended up winning a flag from that low spot in the final eight. This was during a time when a war was taking place.

I dont think Pagan was the coach of this flag winning team, instead there was a young coach in his first year of the job that won this flag.

I think the team that we beat for the premiership was St Kilda...Everyone derisively claimed that we pinched a flag - but we won it fair and square....

At this point, everything in this dream is tracking quite well indeed, however dont be surprised if there is a shock such as Pagan leaving the club for some reason. At this point its hard to see this happening, but I would want to see Denis re signed ASAP to prevent this possibility from occurring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

As awesome as Pagan is, the club is bigger than any one man. We would survive without him, as much as we wouldnt' want to.

Just thought I'd remind everyone... its not ONLY Pagan running this club. Its everyone. Including me! (but less-so)