Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:19 am 
Robert Walls

A few observations (they are mine and you may not agree with them). Some have been mentioned;

1. Hollands has no peripheral vision and holds onto the ball too long
2. Wet weather footy should involve more "soccering" off the ground to gain territory. No point bending down to pick up greasy ball, getting tackled immediately and losing possession
3. Walsh has the Cripps disease of taking on everybody rather than releasing quicker
4. Our tackles (apart from a few standout ones) are just so weak compared with the opposition
5. Kemp still doesn't know when to punch and when to mark
6. Durdin is a passenger...give me Binns or Cunningham any day of the week and rotate them between positions
7. Cincotta bleeds for the jumper and has an abundance of pride in his role.
8. Cowan not far behind
9. Why oh why oh why can we not create some space or loose man scenario when kicking out, particularly on the open 'fat side'?
10. Either our system or our mindset precludes us from putting teams away...not just talking about Melbourne last night. Adelaide was DEFINITELY mindset from the first bounce

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:26 am 
Robert Walls

Cazzesman wrote:
I saw the 1st quarter but nothing else yet. I will watch the replay shortly.

9 rounds in, and if before Rd 1 someone said, we would be 6-3, I would be happy with that scoreline.

I will say it out loud.........We can make it to another Prelim and maybe the GF with our best 22 on the park and the right mindset. We have the talent, and the game plan is slowly coming into focus. Yes, it is still an obvious work in progress but isn't every other team in the same boat. We are competing consistently, for longer.

Of course, we have lapses, but we are still sneaking wins against damn good teams. Alittle bit more composure and a few less injuries and we could easily be 9-0. That might sound silly, but the margins are slow close it is not out of the realms of possibility.

We have now beaten two teams above us, including having the Demons 38pts in arears, 7 mins into the 3rd. The Cats pipped us when we were undermanned.

This week will be another great litmus test. Based on the past 9 games, I nolonger go into a game thinking we can't win. It has been a fair length of time since I felt this way.

I would rather be 6-3, being a competitive unit week in week out without our best 22 on the park, than what we have been in years gone by.

Regards Cazzesman

Agree about taking the 6-3 position we currently have but I've highlighted the two bits that need to be worked on to take us to the promised land. Adelaide is the most obvious one. HTF did we even give them a sniff early after the GR embarrassment last year? At Marvel Stadium FFS!!!
That game makes my blood boil more than Coll and Geel put together, given that we beat GWS the following week. We went from losing to a team who hadn't won a game to beating a team that hadn't lost yet.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:28 am 
Stephen Kernahan

No teams play 4 quarters of powerful football. And probably only North are putrid for 4.

Our first half, and particularly first quarter showed so much intent to atone for last week.

You can see that Weitering is better when Kemp and McGovern play. Whether that is trust or dumb luck I don't know. But these 2 make a difference to weitering.

1 put after being 38 up is an opportunity missed but Melbourne have weapons everywhere but tall forwards. Cincotta blanketed Kosi Pickett.

All in all another case of take the 4 and keep on running.

Not sure I can be angry about any of that. Can we get better? Sure. But we showed a lot of focus on areas of past weakness in the first half. Happy with that. Selection stability will make a difference too.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:32 am 
Robert Walls

99prelim wrote:
A few observations (they are mine and you may not agree with them). Some have been mentioned;

1. Hollands has no peripheral vision and holds onto the ball too long
2. Wet weather footy should involve more "soccering" off the ground to gain territory. No point bending down to pick up greasy ball, getting tackled immediately and losing possession
3. Walsh has the Cripps disease of taking on everybody rather than releasing quicker
4. Our tackles (apart from a few standout ones) are just so weak compared with the opposition
5. Kemp still doesn't know when to punch and when to mark
6. Durdin is a passenger...give me Binns or Cunningham any day of the week and rotate them between positions
7. Cincotta bleeds for the jumper and has an abundance of pride in his role.
8. Cowan not far behind
9. Why oh why oh why can we not create some space or loose man scenario when kicking out, particularly on the open 'fat side'?
10. Either our system or our mindset precludes us from putting teams away...not just talking about Melbourne last night. Adelaide was DEFINITELY mindset from the first bounce

Any more positives other than chinky and Cowan? We did win the game

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:35 am 
Robert Walls

bluehammer wrote:
No teams play 4 quarters of powerful football. And probably only North are putrid for 4.

Our first half, and particularly first quarter showed so much intent to atone for last week.

You can see that Weitering is better when Kemp and McGovern play. Whether that is trust or dumb luck I don't know. But these 2 make a difference to weitering.

1 put after being 38 up is an opportunity missed but Melbourne have weapons everywhere but tall forwards. Cincotta blanketed Kosi Pickett.

All in all another case of take the 4 and keep on running.

Not sure I can be angry about any of that. Can we get better? Sure. But we showed a lot of focus on areas of past weakness in the first half. Happy with that. Selection stability will make a difference too.

That’s what experienced too. Much better defensive effort all over and pressure was up.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:55 am 
Craig Bradley

Looking at Richmond during their flag years, as they played a very high pressure game like us. They were pretty damn ordinary until about July each year. Then peaked when it mattered, just getting top 4, being able to keep up their high pressure game where they buried sides come finals. Thinking we could be the same. We couldn't keep up a high pressure game and were out on our feet. By July/August we will. Suppose that is called peaking. Interestingly, during that 4 year period, the one year they didn't make the GF was the year they finished on top.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

AFL is funny….

lots of talk everywhere about Melbourne kicking
four goals when all was lost…yet no talk about our
1st quarter…!

one quarter set up the victory…the other quarter
fell short…!

kindest regards tommi

and yes 99…i can’t believe they don’t soccer the
ball in the wet….it’s the easiest way to move forward…!

as the great David Parkin used to say…just keep the
ball going forward…bulldozer it forward…!

very happy with the WIN…!

‘twas a win…!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

We held them scoreless in a quarter (I forget the stat but it had been a few years since that had happened).

Any fool complaining about the umpiring needs to be reminded that perhaps not scoring for an entire quarter has something to do with losing.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:57 pm 
Bruce Doull

First time they've been held scoreless in the 1st 1/4 for 16 years I'm sure I heard.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

I also wonder whether we took our foot off the gas a bit.
I reckon the Lions did with us which let us back in the game. I suspect we did last night. Maybe not everyone but it only takes a couple of people to back off a touch….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

Relieved to hang on but I think we have over rotated as a result of the close losses in 2022. We needed to learn how to hold out a close game and eek out an ugly win and we have shown that last year. Last night when we are 22 points up and kick the first goal of the last then go into our shell and try and defend for 20 mins we are playing with fire. We need to learn to put out foot on the opponents throat. Think about all the premiership teams in recent years, none of them went into their shells at the start of the last qtr, in the last 5 mins yes.

We need to learn to bury teams, we have the firepower from 20 odd points up to win a shootout and put it out of reach. The mindset needs to shift.

Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:24 pm 
Bob Chitty

echo the sentiments of a few.

we are 6-3 with still approx 25% of our starting players, not in the team ... its a good place to be

thought our first quarter, was some of the best football we have played. If it wasnt for Petracca, having one of the best games i have seen for sometime, it was headed for a 10 goal loss ... it was a huge first half by us.

only real issue for mine .... felt we when defensive too early, and it nearly cost us the game .. and im always sceptical, but though some of the decision that kept them in the game where abit rough ... but then i look at the free kick count (+2 for carlton) ...

Young / Fantasia to play only when we have no other choice. Weiters, was exceptional, with the introduce of Kemp/Gov ... almost the exact opposite of last week. Martin in the first 5 mins of the game, proved how much better he is than Fantasia has been for the year.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:25 pm 
Geoff Southby

I"m takin" the four points and keep on runnin"..................... great win for mine . Kemp , Cowan , Cincotta , the lesser lights did well and are the future and as a bonus they don't mind dishing out a bit of shit .

The beauty is we are not playing fantastic yet are 6 and 3 . But as our first quarter showed we are starting to string together good patches and are displaying what we are capable of when we are on song . Reckon we are building slowly but surely and the best is yet to come . And I reckon it starts next week when I got a gut feel its all gonna come together and we will brain the Swans .

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

bluechampion wrote:
Some of you guys need to see a therapist.

We won that game.

We've done the exact thing to other teams - played poorly then come home with a wet sail. All decent teams can do it these days. They can get on a roll and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. But we just held on. Good on us.

Do we have things to work on? Yes. Was the first quarter just about the best quarter of footy we've played all year? Yes! We kept a top-four side scoreless and put five on them going the other way. We defended with intent and system - the exact thing we've been working on.

The defending in the first 1.5 quarters was as good as I've seen from any team in my own (admittedly decrepit) living memory. And you're right, it wasn't just intent but also the system. We were defending in waves - if we didn't intercept we'd spoil, if our man didn't crumb then another man would be along to immediately crunch the Demon who did, if the ball spilled free again then another man would be there with momentum to clear it away. Fantastic coaching after some notably poor defensive structures of late.

I think that's probably why I was losing my shit so profoundly in the last quarter. I'm used to bitter defeat, including as recently as the Adelaide game, but the pain of a loss in this one would have dwarfed them all because I was conscious of how brilliantly we had played to set ourselves up for victory.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:29 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Wojee wrote:
diesel_85 wrote:
Humpers wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
no suspension, not even a fine

Agreed.
Not intentional or reckless.

He left the ground and clipped him (very slightly) in the head.
100% week off

https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1788528363025387548

Barely any contact.
Having said that, who knows what chooklotto will throw up.

The AFL will decide that this is their occasion to demonstrate that they are as tough on head high contact as they are on homophobic slurs.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:30 pm 
Bruce Doull

Just the team playing 4D chess!
Switch off at exactly the right time to still win with minimal effort.
Conserve energy for next week and lull opposition into thinking we're flaky.

SMRT

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:02 pm 
Ken Hunter

I think that Newman hit deserves heftier punishment than a punch to the face or to the back of the head #logic #reason

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:14 pm 
Ken Hunter

missnaut wrote:
Effes wrote:
Went for a walk with 15 min left....you just knew it was going to happen again.

Won with 41 inside 50s to 61.

Again, something is very wrong with the system.

Spent the last 3 mins outside wishing I smoked.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:14 pm 
Bruce Doull

GreatEx wrote:
I think that Newman hit deserves heftier punishment than a punch to the face or to the back of the head #logic #reason

Hi Chrisso.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

6-3 is so much better than 5-4

Happy with that

My heart cant take last quarters like that though. just no!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next