Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:34 pm 
Ken Hunter

Oh no, Nafan in prime time.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:35 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Blue Vain wrote:
Good selections. It will be interesting to see what they do with Ollie. Will he be sub or will they bring him in to the 22. His form isn't up to it but Cotters is much better value at H/F.
Hopefully Martin is fit and firing after a solid conditioning block

More interested in why Durdin is still in the team

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:08 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

chubbyruss wrote:
https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1788137582359941500

Best thing I've seen in the media in ages. I never doubt the courage of our players but this should sting them well and truly. I'd expect a decent response.
We need a reset anyway. I saw some old Carlton things I didn't like last week. Cripps calling for the handball when he's under pressure when Cincotta had the mark in the middle of the ground. Seriously, who would you prefer kicking it inside 50. Cripps was under the pump, threw out a shit handball and turned it over. That's not the team game.

The traffic controller was back again. (Nic Newman). Holding the play up, waving his arms around. Look at me, look at me.
Newman also running to take the kickouts when we have the best defensive 50 kick in the AFL looking on. (Boyd). When things get tough, some of our older players revert back to trying to do it all themselves.
That's not what made us a good team in the second half of last year.
We need to play a system and trust the system.

If Kemp wasn't a good match up for Fritsch, I'd like to see him get a run on the wing. Something different. Mix it up. Put a few players on notice. Ollie hasn't earned a recall. Don't make positions in the team a certainty. It should be a hard earned honour to make the 22.

Blues by 4 points. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Good selections. It will be interesting to see what they do with Ollie. Will he be sub or will they bring him in to the 22. His form isn't up to it but Cotters is much better value at H/F.

maybe ollie can play the williams role?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Memphis Blues wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

More interested in why Durdin is still in the team

Equal 6th most forward 50 tackles in the AFL. We're currently pushing our half forwards up to the stoppages and our residual forwards are often battling 4 against 5 or 6. Durdin's not getting much ball but his chasing pressure and effort is excellent. It's a role that doesn't show up on the stats sheet but he's created a number of goals this year without touching the ball. Just by forcing turnovers or errant disposals. I like him and believe he has a big future.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

According to Champion Data’s stats, 25-year-old defender Jordan Boyd is the best kick coming out of the backline in the entire AFL – and comfortably.

However, he only averages 12 kicks per game, with Hoyne saying the Blues should feed him more of the footy.

Good to see people are starting to wake up to this... Now to get the team to realise it too

Go Blues

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

chubbyruss wrote:

Very damning footage.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

grrofunger wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:

Very damning footage.

I love Paddy for a number of reasons but he can be an incredibly selfish player in a way I don’t think he understands.

I understand the urge that he feels that he needs to do it all himself but that’s not how you build a premiership team. Until he accepts that the most important part of his job is enabling others we’re not going anywhere.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:06 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:

Very damning footage.
I brought this up round 1 match day thread against Brisbane.
In the first half Brisbane sat back and allowed us first possession applied a bit of pressure and we cough it up.
Teams have been using this tactic against us for years because they know we want to be first to the ball. It's a good tactic if you are discipline enough to keep doing it all game.
Round 1 we cleaned it up after half time and got cleaner use of the ball and turned around a 46 point deficit.
Greg Williams would have loved Teams playing this tactic because he was so clean with the ball and even now if we get the first possession like we did against Brisbane in 2nd half and GWS we can cut Teams to pieces.
Mitchell has adopted the allow first possession clearance at Hawks it hadn't been working until they executed well against the dogs. Hawks list is young and don't have the discipline to apply that pressure all game but are still the best post clearance team in the comp.
It's an interesting watch because we win one or two of those contests and tidy it up just a fraction we win the game.
Get it right and hit your target It's beautiful to watch.
Fumble and miss it looks ugly like Kings clips

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:34 am 
Geoff Southby

grrofunger wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:

Very damning footage.

hope the coaches are onto it, and the players saw this. except for the final half against gws, we've been fumbling all season like this too.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:53 am 
Geoff Southby

GreatEx wrote:
Ollie presumably in to run with Langdon.

I suppose the main defensive match ups we had to consider were Fritsch and Pickett; guessing it'll be Kemp and Boyd respectively, and Weiters on Van Rooyen? Or does Kemp get Petty and Cowan on Fritsch? We seem to have some flexibility with Melbourne not rocking the gronks.

Geez, I hope not.
Ollie gets smoked by the Melbourne wings every time we play them, Langdon is far too quick for him, he'd be better off running with Windsor (who is much quicker than Ollie also - 2.9sec 20m, but is young).
Rnd 22 last year:
Hunter had 27 disposals, 5 clearances, 5 tackles and 252m gained.
Langdon had 22 disposals, 2 clearances, 3 tackles, 468m gained and 1 goal.
Ollie had 10 disposals, 4 tackles, 2 clearances and 170m gained.

Given our leg speed this will have to be a contested win IMO, we need to be patient with the ball moving it into the F50 and hit targets down the line coming out of D50.
We can't keep getting smoked on the rebound for the 3rd week in a row.

Last edited by Sidefx on Thu May 09, 2024 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:55 am 
Geoff Southby

jezzarules wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
Thank god Orazio is finally out.

Durdin on thin ice with Motlop close

I'd have preferred Cunners to Durds this week

Yeah I though Cunners did some nice things last week.
It was good to finally see someone in the middle of the ground outrun an opposition player and hit a target in the F50.
Plus he had double the disposals of Durdin and 312m gained.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:58 am 
Rod Ashman

I think someone like Newman can shut Fritsch down. Actually, there are a few who could do that.
But who can keep Kosi in check? I think Saad would have had this job but not sure there are many who could do it…
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:07 am 
Geoff Southby

grrofunger wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:

Very damning footage.

Skills and speed our two Achilles heels in the middle.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:10 am 
Geoff Southby

17th Premiership wrote:
I think someone like Newman can shut Fritsch down. Actually, there are a few who could do that.
But who can keep Kosi in check? I think Saad would have had this job but not sure there are many who could do it…
Thoughts?

Boyd or Cinc.

Last edited by Sidefx on Thu May 09, 2024 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:16 am 
Geoff Southby

Braithy wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

maybe ollie can play the williams role?

I thought about this also because his defensive pressure and mindset can be good, only issue is Ollie doesn't have the strength, football IQ or foot skills to be damaging on the rebound IMO.
Boyd would be better.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 1:48 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Sidefx wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
Thoughts?

Boyd or Cinc.

Cinc got destroyed by Pickett in the final last year. Pickett should have won the game for them but kept missing shots and giving away stupid frees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 2:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

I’d prefer it if Boyd could remain an offensive weapon.
Maybe Cinc has learned from that final - he is pretty quick and with discipline, maybe he could do it. A big job!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 2:08 pm 
Harry Vallence

Some more enjoyable footage
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/1432 ... 4837062001

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 2:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

Do we have a sweep on who Pickett is going to try to knock out this week?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next