Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:08 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

the trouble we have with the tall team is we are too easy to score against. and we don't lock the ball into our front half enough, which means we're often chasing their player and chasing the game. which means we're exhausted when the game is on the line. the big fellas don't have the aerobic capacity to run out games which is why you've seen a drop off in what was our strength - late game dominance.

i'm not convinced (as beautiful as it is to watch our clearance domination from the middle) is going to win a flag. smart coaches like scott and maybe even fly will counter it too easily. you just play direct, get runners moving forward and every disposal is forward into our press until you break it. all those goals out the back are a product of the counter and they kill us dead.

the fast spread from the outside, the handball chains with the forward pressure and high turnover game, maybe isn't as good on the eyes, but thats (and all the metrics and stats back this up) the flag winning formula in the afl right now ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:31 am 
Bruce Doull

Braithy wrote:
the big fellas don't have the aerobic capacity to run out games which is why you've seen a drop off in what was our strength - late game dominance.

Gosh. What a difference a week makes. :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:31 am 
Bruce Comben

Funny how Voss saw the game was pretty much like me. We defended like an under 9 netball team. He saw it and called it out in the press conference.

He ain’t happy at all with where we are.

Raise the bar Mr Voss, raise the bar.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:43 am 
Harry Vallence

[quote="Braithy"]yeah, forward pressure didn't exist, and really it hasn't since fog went down. amazing how much one guy can influence one part of the ground, and none of what he does comes up on stat sheets.

i really don't like either of them, durdin and owies. it's the one area where we really need (and have needed to, imo since garlett left) a craft small forward who runs and tackles.

he's a goose, but i wish we got ginni from the pies. his forward craft at the feet of charlie and H would really put us over the top in attack. and he'll do all the dirty stuff when the ball is exiting. owies i think would like to do this, but is too slow and has no game iq to anticipate where the ball is exiting from. and durdin just isn't up to it, imo.[/quote

Agree with all of this Braithy, especially regarding Fog, we are really missing him. When Ginnivan (spelling?) a natural small forward, was on the market I thought he was someone who could have been a real asset for us. There's a few in the team who may develop into good players but who shouldn't be getting regular games yet, but the cupboard is pretty bare right now.

Anyway, I was pretty proud of the side yesterday, we could have pinched it. Better field kicking, better kicking for goal and we were home. It feels like groundhog day saying that though, it goes on year after year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:51 am 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
the big fellas don't have the aerobic capacity to run out games which is why you've seen a drop off in what was our strength - late game dominance.

I think Braithy is too negative at times, but it's hard to deny that since we went with the Pitt+TDK+H combo we've both become better at scoring but worse at preventing opposition scoring. The concern after GWS was that we had seen Pitto and TDK both play possibly their best games for the club, and anything close to their mean would not be enough. That kind of played out yesterday, although it's fine margins... Pitto destroyed Stanley early but our goal kicking was wank, TDK had as many chances as he did against the Giants but kicked 3 behinds instead of 3 goals.

I'm relaxed about all this, we are finding the balance and doing a lot of things right while diversifying our approach, but it's too early for either side of the ruck debate to claim bragging rights.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:00 am 
Bruce Doull

Yep. If TDK converts yesterday like he did against the Giants then we're laughing.

But coulda woulda.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 am 
Ken Hunter

We had a LOT of passengers yesterday, compared to last week when we didn't.

jake_h03 wrote:
Heavs wrote:
79Vintage wrote:
Bad kicking is bad football, we only have ourselves to blame. Having said that the umpires were very poor.

It was one of those ones where it seems every 50/50 went against us but pretty sure we probably ended up positive differential so we just have to eat shit apparently

It’s the ones the weren’t paid. Geelong players constantly dropping the ball and getting called play on. TDK getting his head taken off in a marking contest and called play on. Henry blatantly pushing young in the back when went up for a mark and getting a goal out of it. The deliberate that was soccered directly at the boundary and called for a throw in spring to mind. The rubbish 50m against Harry when he was nowhere near the mark. These aren’t represented in the free kick count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hawkins took about 5 minutes to kick a goal.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:13 am 
formerly Fevola

Our small forwards unsighted. We desperately need good quality small forwards to make the most of Charlie and Harry.

I didnt even know if Owies and Durdin were on the ground.

And we lost because of goal kicking - pure and simple. Had we put pressure on them on the score board it would have been a different story.

I thought we played well in general, but we need to seriously also start identifying a good defender to go with Weitering. Geelong didnt miss because they were being left alone right infront of goal. And time after time when we swarmed forward and lost the ball, they went forward with ease and were all alone.

Who is our backline coach again?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:20 am 
Wayne Johnston

I’ve always been optimistic about Young but yesterday was the final straw. He’s just not competitive enough. His body looks completely limp in every contest. He’s great at spoiling if there’s no body contact. As soon as there’s the slightest contact he just gets moved off the ball so easily. Cost us multiple goals yesterday

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:34 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Yep. If TDK converts yesterday like he did against the Giants then we're laughing.

But coulda woulda.
Correct
That's the difference between last week and this week

Add Durdin to that list

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:44 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:
Braithy wrote:

not really. all last season we were soundly beaten with the tall team. and adelaide fried us on turnover 3 games ago. last week was fantastic, but at this point it is the outlier for this setup.

cripps really pushes for pittonet's inclusion. he's a contested bull, and look at his numbers when pittonet plays. but i still think contested footy is overrated and too easily countered - as we've seen this season with crows and cats

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:51 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GreatEx wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Braithy wrote:

I think Braithy is too negative at times, but it's hard to deny that since we went with the Pitt+TDK+H combo we've both become better at scoring but worse at preventing opposition scoring. The concern after GWS was that we had seen Pitto and TDK both play possibly their best games for the club, and anything close to their mean would not be enough. That kind of played out yesterday, although it's fine margins... Pitto destroyed Stanley early but our goal kicking was wank, TDK had as many chances as he did against the Giants but kicked 3 behinds instead of 3 goals.

I'm relaxed about all this, we are finding the balance and doing a lot of things right while diversifying our approach, but it's too early for either side of the ruck debate to claim bragging rights.

yeah, i'm trying to work on this. haha

i'm way too competitive for my own good :screwy:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:02 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The_Cranium wrote:
The carry on from Geelong fans after the game was @#$%&! irritating. They beat half a team of our reserves by 2 kicks and were on the right end of every decision, dump kick and dodgy bounce for the whole game.

Our goal kicking was frustrating in the 1st and last quarter. Missed some real key shots. Durdin and TDK as mentioned. They had mates though.

BTW, Cazzesman, I feel you owe us all an apology :donk: . As soon as you mentioned that you had an affiliation to one of the umpires, it was always going to happen. There were some horrible decisions out there tonight. The illegal disposal when tackled was outrageous from Geelong. Time and again they just dropped it cold and never got one for it. Weiters 50 m penalty was lucky to be 40. The not 15 for Cripps to mark inside 50. The 50m penalty to Cripps/ McKay. The smack across the chops to Williams. The blatant push in the back from Henry to mark on the line. The kick at the boundary line called a throw in. It just went on all night. Led by that cheat Nicholls

All in all, we take plenty away. Annoyed at one that we let slip. But woulda, coulda, shoulda. In the end, we blame ourselves for poor goal kicking and move on to the pies. Hopefully, we start getting some players back now
Perfect summary
bluebo baggers wrote:
Thats the very very best Geelong have got.

We have so much more upside.

We win June 21 when we meet again.
Agree.... But...
We need to be switched on to teams prepared to open up, run through our defensive zone...
Get closer to your man, block, bump and harass... Don't just go to a 'spot'

We were wandering to our defensive position and they were taking off, thus they could all find space... Thus.... Freely into their forward line....

F&$$#" happened after every point (and there was a lot of them).. and we NEVER adjusted...
THAT was poor, THAT is what would have had Voss fuming and rightly so..

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:03 am 
Harry Vallence

CK95 wrote:
Touhy can do whatever he wants but his celebration after his first goal really shat me. Remember where you got your start pal.

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk
Same for me. Never a fan of over celebrating, don’t think it’s classy. But from a bloke who we brought to this country, set up his career, then he left us for a stronger club. Well it does sting a little more than usual.
Have always liked Zac Tuohy but you can go and get [REDACTED] mate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:15 am 
Geoff Southby

Our bottom 4 or so players were the problem yesterday
Young
Carroll
Owies
Ollie Hollands has been disappointing this year still young
Durdin doesn’t do enough

Cameron is a unique forward. His running power is off the charts
I reckon it would of been worth playing Cottrell on him yesterday

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:18 am 
Ken Hunter

I'd have thought Acres would be the better fit for an outside-the-box approach to Cameron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:20 am 
Geoff Southby

GreatEx wrote:
I'd have thought Acres would be the better fit for an outside-the-box approach to Cameron

Yeah I thought that too
You need someone with the aerobic capacity to go with him

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:24 am 
Robert Walls

keogh wrote:
GreatEx wrote:

Yeah I thought that too
You need someone with the aerobic capacity to go with him

Yes…

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:40 am 
Bob Chitty

Our bottom 6 weren’t good yesterday and the worry is the injury list forces us to stick with the majority of these guys:
- O Hollands. Good prospect but the bad games are outweighing the good this year. No impact last night. Due a spell in the 2s.
- Owies. Invisible. Missed a gettable set shot.
- Durdin. Ditto but somehow an even worse miss that effectively ended the game. Only laid 1 tackle.
- Carroll. Still think he’s a good prospect but 7 touches from a full game isn’t anywhere near the mark. Lined up out of the goal square a couple of times which was bizarre and a sign that injuries have reached the tipping point especially in the front half.
- Cowan. Another good prospect but a bit too rushed last night. Will be better for the run.
- Young. Horrible. Cameron smashed him which isn’t a surprise but when he’s getting out marked by O Henry on the goal line it’s completely deflating. Probably has to keep playing until one of McGovern or Marchbank return which is a seriously scary thought.

I feel for some of these guys in these sense that they shouldn’t actually be playing as they’re players 28-32 on the but this is what happens when we’re always carrying a double digit injury list.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:14 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jake_h03 wrote:
Heavs wrote:
79Vintage wrote:
Bad kicking is bad football, we only have ourselves to blame. Having said that the umpires were very poor.

It was one of those ones where it seems every 50/50 went against us but pretty sure we probably ended up positive differential so we just have to eat shit apparently

It’s the ones the weren’t paid. Geelong players constantly dropping the ball and getting called play on. TDK getting his head taken off in a marking contest and called play on. Henry blatantly pushing young in the back when went up for a mark and getting a goal out of it. The deliberate that was soccered directly at the boundary and called for a throw in spring to mind. The rubbish 50m against Harry when he was nowhere near the mark. These aren’t represented in the free kick count.

Oh yeah, I agree. Just that people will point at the numbers and say 'what are you sooking about'. Just an all round frustrating game

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next