Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:41 pm 
Craig Bradley

Averaging 18 tackles inside 50 the last three weeks, 17 across the season.

League average is 11.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

Juanita Jones wrote:
Looking at the stats the combined tackle count between Owies and Durdin was 3. It was 3 tackles between them and 0.

Explains why the ball flew back out so easily from our F50. Zero accountability from both of them. Ordinary players playing like Millionaires.
That's weird. I just watched Kayo Minis & Durdin tackles Parfitt in Q1

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
Juanita Jones wrote:
Looking at the stats the combined tackle count between Owies and Durdin was 3. It was 3 tackles between them and 0.

Explains why the ball flew back out so easily from our F50. Zero accountability from both of them. Ordinary players playing like Millionaires.

Was it in our forward 50 ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:10 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The football media are hilarious. 2 weeks ago we lost to the Crows by 2 points and it was all doom and gloom. Then we beat GWS and we were not only declared contenders by just about flag favorites. This week we play a full strength Cats outfit (bar Stewart) come up short and once again we're just also rans and the team we beat last week are top of the pops. I don't know why I waste my time listening to / watching it. More fool me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:07 am 
Geoff Southby

The_Cranium wrote:
The football media are hilarious. 2 weeks ago we lost to the Crows by 2 points and it was all doom and gloom. Then we beat GWS and we were not only declared contenders by just about flag favorites. This week we play a full strength Cats outfit (bar Stewart) come up short and once again we're just also rans and the team we beat last week are top of the pops. I don't know why I waste my time listening to / watching it. More fool me

Join the Club .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:55 am 
Robert Walls

CK95 wrote:
Juanita Jones wrote:

I did update from 0 to 3 CK between them. Still not a great stat and if neither one of them realises that not tackling is going to keep them in the side when the likes of Fog and Motlop come back, they aren’t listening in the team meetings.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:21 am 
Bruce Doull

Fair enough & agree. Martin would be handy too

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:33 am 
Bruce Doull

Just heard a bit of Chris Scott's presser & he said "by design"

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:31 am 
Bruce Doull

CK95 wrote:
Just heard a bit of Chris Scott's presser & he said "by design"

:lol:

I watch both coach pressers after every game, you can gain interesting insight from the opposition coach's thoughts.
I refuse to watch that wanker though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:08 am 
Robert Walls

Mickstar wrote:
99prelim wrote:
Our biggest problem is the lack of defensive intent inside our F50

The ease and speed with which the ball is taken away all the flowering time completely throws out our defensive formation up the ground...and the coast to coast nightmare begins

Keep the ball I50 a little longer and chaos ensues, scoring opportunities are created, opp players are sucked into our F50 to help out rather than setting up for the predictable exit kick

Team defence starts from our goal line, not from behind the centre square

Yeah , that's spot on 99 . Bit rich of our supporters bagging our backline yesterday when the problems started way down the field . Impossible for our backline at times with those lightening fast breaks started from our forward line .

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:18 am 
Robert Walls

99prelim wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
99prelim wrote:

The ease and speed with which the ball is taken away all the flowering time completely throws out our defensive formation up the ground...and the coast to coast nightmare begins

Keep the ball I50 a little longer and chaos ensues, scoring opportunities are created, opp players are sucked into our F50 to help out rather than setting up for the predictable exit kick

Yeah , that's spot on 99 . Bit rich of our supporters bagging our backline yesterday when the problems started way down the field . Impossible for our backline at times with those lightening fast breaks started from our forward line .

Absolutely.

Particularly important given our ‘attack’ strategy of kicking it to a contest in the fwd 50.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:20 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

99prelim wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
99prelim wrote:

it's a bit each way. team defence and structure has been all messed up for 3 weeks now. injuries play a part. but there lots of instances when our defenders lost 1v1's, lost concentration and let their man escape the zone etc. were badly caught out of position, or dropped off regulation tackles.

our defence from front to back is a problem, and our back six are also a problem. no saad and gov is a big reason why.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:09 pm 
Harry Vallence

The_Cranium wrote:

Not what I heard on SEN this morning.

Sometimes we just hear what we want to hear, and see what we want to see (no credit again in this thread given to Geelong by the majority of responses).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:25 pm 
John James

jake_h03 wrote:
I’ve always been optimistic about Young but yesterday was the final straw. He’s just not competitive enough. His body looks completely limp in every contest. He’s great at spoiling if there’s no body contact. As soon as there’s the slightest contact he just gets moved off the ball so easily. Cost us multiple goals yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

also got blocked by a geelong small forward when taking a Tullamarine length run up
to jump into the back of Jeramy Cameron. forget who the forward was and it was a blatant free as he even turned to look for young and put out his arms out to block him going around. Young was all surprised when he cannoned into the back of the geelong player as Cameron marked five meters in front of them unopposed. embarrassing in my view.

if SoSOS had been fit i’d rather see him run around with Cameron than Young. at least he’d niggle and scrap and give Cameron something to think about. key back Durdin is back from suspension this week. expecting to see Young dropped like a hot potato. it’s the entire back 6/7 but Weiters was the only one who can hold his head up.

who was the second key back in 95? i can’t remember! defence used to be the backbone of our game. we’re missing Jones. him and Weiters were on the same page and both knew and played their roles to perfection 90% of the time. Gov had improved enough. Marchy maybe too light for Cameron? we need an answer to the second KB question and we need it fast.

Voss in the presser was centimetre perfect for mine. hope that got through loud and clear.

and i hope Hamill gets their defensive shit together. even if it means compromising on midfield dominance. Scott played us like it was the Teague era all over again. even gloated about it in the presser saying that it was kind of an accident, he didn't expect to lose centre contest and clearances so much but worked out just fine with a loosie behind he ball.

we know Walsh gets back to make contests that would otherwise be uncontested forward entries for the oppo. and we love him for it. but he can’t provide the D structure we’re lacking at the moment. neither can Cripps because their at most of the stoppages.

we’re missing the smart game readers like Cerra and Saad who occupy space in the right way in the D50 providing both defensive structure, intercept threats (which forces oppo to be less aggressive in how they bring it forward) and obviously they provide elite D50 forward transition skill/tactical smarts.

small forwards obviously a part of it when we’re getting beaten so bad in the F50 turnover game. i’ve always thought Owies was important for our structure and loathed to see him dropped last year but with TDK becoming a third tall most of the game i’m wondering if Owies is confused about his role or unable to make a role for himself? he's not exactly a crumbing forward. and wasnt able to play like a Geelong or GWS mid/small forward in the handball chains (because we dont play that way) or being on the end of chains taking marks from very kickable spots.

with so many players out, set roles in the game style become harder and harder to substitute, i guess. but thats a flaw in the game plan more than an excuse IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:37 pm 
John James

Voss got it right. we never should have been in that situation in the first place. every time we closed on them after the appalling Q1 they’d skip away. including their 4 on the trot in Q4.

good football starts with good D. at both ends of the ground (and in the middle).

if we’re going with the idea that our tall forwards will out score the opposition forwards, we need better than this. that starts with defence bc we know that they won’t always kick a big bag between the two/three of them.

our best, Charlie with three matched by Cameron with 5, Henry and Tuohy each with three.

our next best forwards Harry and E Hollands with two each matched by Miers with two and singles to a bunch of their half forwards/half backs (not sure where they were each playing till i watch the replay, Touhy obv enjoyed going forward for the day).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:37 pm 
John James

Voss got it right. we never should have been in that situation in the first place. every time we closed on them after the appalling Q1 they’d skip away. including their 4 on the trot in Q4.

good football starts with good D. at both ends of the ground (and in the middle).

if we’re going with the idea that our tall forwards will out score the opposition forwards, we need better than this. that starts with defence bc we know that they won’t always kick a big bag between the two/three of them.

our best, Charlie with three matched by Cameron with 5, Henry and Tuohy each with three.

our next best forwards Harry and E Hollands with two each matched by Miers with two and singles to a bunch of their half forwards/half backs (not sure where they were each playing till i watch the replay, Touhy obv enjoyed going forward for the day).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:38 pm 
John James

Braithy wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
the big fellas don't have the aerobic capacity to run out games which is why you've seen a drop off in what was our strength - late game dominance.

Gosh. What a difference a week makes. :?

not really. all last season we were soundly beaten with the tall team. and adelaide fried us on turnover 3 games ago. last week was fantastic, but at this point it is the outlier for this setup.

cripps really pushes for pittonet's inclusion. he's a contested bull, and look at his numbers when pittonet plays. but i still think contested footy is overrated and too easily countered - as we've seen this season with crows and cats

hate to admit it. but there’s some truth to this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:09 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

it's funny, when we were getting smashed in clearances / contested people complained, now it's "contested footy is overrated"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:14 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kingkerna wrote:
it's funny, when we were getting smashed in clearances / contested people complained, now it's "contested footy is overrated"

not from me ... i've never complained about stats, or parts of the game like losing our contested dominance, if we've been winning. winning flags should be all we care about, and in that sense contested footy, is too easily countered (therefore overrated) and it's why we've never seen contested teams dominate GF's for the last decade.

but, tbh ... in this run since last season's 9 on the trot. we've never really foot-on-the-throat put away teams. sure we pantsed WC and norf, but that's really not an achievement. so the truth is, we're still looking for our identity i think, and that's a task made near impossible when there's not continuity in the playing group. it's a revolving door to the injury list, and it has been for decades.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:55 pm 
Wayne Johnston

We haven't seen the Pitt and H second ruck combo yet. Might be the winning combo but how do you leave TDK out ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next