Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:18 pm 
Ken Hunter

How annoying was the Irish music being played after Tuohy kicked a goal?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

RickJ wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Touhy can do whatever he wants but his celebration after his first goal really shat me. Remember where you got your start pal.

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk
Same for me. Never a fan of over celebrating, don’t think it’s classy. But from a bloke who we brought to this country, set up his career, then he left us for a stronger club. Well it does sting a little more than usual.
Have always liked Zac Tuohy but you can go and get [REDACTED] mate

But didn’t we pretty much offload him by offering an insulting contract? If so, I can understand his reaction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by 17th Premiership on Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:56 pm 
Ken Hunter

kezza wrote:
How annoying was the Irish music being played after Tuohy kicked a goal?

:lol: riverdance or dropkick murphys?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

U2?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Apparently Owies was crook during the week, definitely showed with his contribution yesterday.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

Braithy wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
the big fellas don't have the aerobic capacity to run out games which is why you've seen a drop off in what was our strength - late game dominance.

Gosh. What a difference a week makes. :?

not really. all last season we were soundly beaten with the tall team. and adelaide fried us on turnover 3 games ago. last week was fantastic, but at this point it is the outlier for this setup.

cripps really pushes for pittonet's inclusion. he's a contested bull, and look at his numbers when pittonet plays. but i still think contested footy is overrated and too easily countered - as we've seen this season with crows and cats

I had Pittonet in my best 3 yesterday. Our ruck & clearance work were both strong.

I'm more with david31's side about why we lost, & I wouldn't bother saying it to opposition supporters, but the injury toll finally caught up with us yesterday. Would Geelong have been able to shift the ball so easily out of defence if even 2 of our 7 missing walk up starts were there? Motlop & Fogarty for example. Or if we'd had Martin as a medium tall target like Geelong did with Henry.

Or what if we'd had more options than a first gamer to bring on as sub.

Or if we'd had the same side but with the poise of Saad in defence.

One of those scenarios could have made up 13 points surely. There is a stack of upside to us from this game, glad Voss is pissed off but let's not go getting too disappointed or making big conclusions about the game plan just yet. It wasn't long ago an injury list like this brings us 60 point losses.

My Pies mates are still nervous about Friday :grin:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
the big fellas don't have the aerobic capacity to run out games which is why you've seen a drop off in what was our strength - late game dominance.

not really. all last season we were soundly beaten with the tall team. and adelaide fried us on turnover 3 games ago. last week was fantastic, but at this point it is the outlier for this setup.

cripps really pushes for pittonet's inclusion. he's a contested bull, and look at his numbers when pittonet plays. but i still think contested footy is overrated and too easily countered - as we've seen this season with crows and cats

I had Pittonet in my best 3 yesterday. Our ruck & clearance work were both strong.

I'm more with david31's side about why we lost, & I wouldn't bother saying it to opposition supporters, but the injury toll finally caught up with us yesterday. Would Geelong have been able to shift the ball so easily out of defence if even 2 of our 7 missing walk up starts were there? Motlop & Fogarty for example. Or if we'd had Martin as a medium tall target like Geelong did with Henry.

One of those scenarios could have made up 13 points surely. There is a stack of upside to us from this game, glad Voss is pissed off but let's not go getting too disappointed or making big conclusions about the game plan just yet. It wasn't long ago an injury list like this brings us 60 point losses.

It was like the light went on for Pittonet yesterday - he finally realised he was 200cm tall and weighed 100kgs.

:thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

It also went on for me during lockdown when I realised I was 185 & pushing 100 :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:53 pm 
Craig Bradley

CK95 wrote:
It also went on for me during lockdown when I realised I was 185 & pushing 100 :lol:

Fridge light?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:09 pm 
Craig Bradley

It was interesting following the pressure ratings. We spent much of the game going at just 160s (Afl average 180). We would suddenly jump to over 200 once we fell 3 to 4 goals behind. Similar last week against GWS. Spent much of the game in the 150s except when we were 20pts behind. Mid 3rd qtr, when 20pts down, we took it to 240 and it stayed there. GWS didn't have any answers and we crushed in under 10 minutes. Geelong struggled with it when we lifted the rating but once within a goal it dropped back.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

Well that was a ride.
The positives are we had the umpires against us, almost half a team of injuries, we won just about every stat and only fell short by 2 and a bit kicks.
Our inaccuracy was the game killer in the end.
I think this game again showed our lack of speed and skills through the middle, even if we added just 1 quick wing and 1 quick mid the difference would be huge to our turnover game and stopping teams like them.
I thought Pitto came out and monstered them, he is a man on a mission.
TDK played well and like the rest of the team couldn't capitalise on all the good work.
Cripps and Walsh were as expected, above the rest.
Hewett and Kennedy played well but had too many turnovers and at times, costly ones.
Acres was crap for pretty much 95% of the game, he gave away as many goals as he kicked, but at least he can stand up when the pressure is on.
Ollie is cooked, not quick enough, not big enough and not damaging at all, again this week the opposition targeted him coming out of defence, they know he's an easy beat.
The scary part is from the little window of Binns we have no one to take his place, the loss of Doc on the wing is really showing.
I was surprised to see Cottrell in the bottom 5, he did some nice things when he got the ball, but 9 disposals is not enough for someone like him that is quick and can cause damage.
Elijah went alright, can't ask too much more from him without a midfield moving the ball quicker.
Our small forwards were not good enough, they missed opportunities and applied little pressure in the F50.
Owies had a shocker, but at least Durdin did some nice things down the ground like Cottrell and gained some meterage moving the ball forward.
Charlie and Harry had average games, but you couldn't expect much more with all the congestion in the F50 from our slow ball movement and shit kicking into the F50.
Weitering, Newman, Boyd and Williams all stood up in an undermanned defence, even though they all had a few costly clangers between them also.
I thought Kemp did ok also, as well as Kemp does anyway.
Young was Young, if you don't expect too much you don't get too disappointed.
Carroll and Cowan were both a little disappointing, they should know their time to impress is limited and you'd have hopped for a little more impact from them given their leg speed.

We played against a physically bigger and quicker team so certain players were always going to get exposed, but like I said at the start, to only loose by a couple of kicks and a bit just shows how good our outfit is.
It's not all doom and gloom, but we need to start tightening things up a bit more if we want to show we are top 4 contenders.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:22 pm 
Ken Hunter

AGRO wrote:
Apparently Owies was crook during the week, definitely showed with his contribution yesterday.
Fantasia also unwell, I wonder if good old COVID is doing the rounds there - it certainly is in my circles.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:56 pm 
Bruce Doull

17th Premiership wrote:
RickJ wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Touhy can do whatever he wants but his celebration after his first goal really shat me. Remember where you got your start pal.

Same for me. Never a fan of over celebrating, don’t think it’s classy. But from a bloke who we brought to this country, set up his career, then he left us for a stronger club. Well it does sting a little more than usual.
Have always liked Zac Tuohy but you can go and get [REDACTED] mate

But didn’t we pretty much offload him by offering an insulting contract? If so, I can understand his reaction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And he was getting booed as well by some idiots

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:04 pm 
Craig Bradley

De Koning - 3 shots, actual score 3 (0.3), expected score 9.4 (-6.4)
Durdin - 2 shots, actual score 2 (0.2), expected score 8 (-6)
Weitering - 1 shot, actual score 1 (0.1), expected score 4.5 (-3.5)
Owies - 1 shot, actual score 1 (0.1), expected score 3.9 (-2.9)

That’s the difference.

15.15 becomes 19.11 and we sing the song.

Harry had four scores from six shots, but the two complete misses were from low percentage spots, so 2.4 would be a pass mark.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

You lost me with Weitering having an expected score.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:32 pm 
Bruce Doull

That whole hypothetical is always weird though. Player X scores a goal instead of a behind & the ball goes back to the middle & a completely different game unfolds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

Crusader wrote:
CK95 wrote:

Fridge light?
:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:03 pm 
Bruce Comben

Lucky wrote:
We kicked ourselves out of it. The umpiring was shit even worse than usual. But at the end of the day our inaccuracy in front of goal was the biggest culprit. Geelong shouldn't feel to great about beating a depleted Carlton team by only 13 points with an armchair ride from the umpires.

Have to agree with you Lucky
I didnt feel we were outplayed as such, but the innacurate kicking was the telling factor ,along with very poor performances from some

Durdin and Owies didnt show up,and for small forwards ,they are just not up to it at the moment ..Owies had a stinker and Durdin not much better ,that missed goal deflated us entirely .
I had hoped that Young would come good in the backline ,but i have finally given up on him ..he just doesnt have the body to hold ground and gets shifted away so easily during any contact
Coupled with poor decisions from officials ,it was always going to be a struggle ..Too many players gone missing and ,definitely waiting for injuries to clear for saad,mcgovern ,and martin to strengthen things up . Still think we have the goods ,but there has to be some changes defensively and for forward small crumbers ,but yes the goal kicking was the thing..just poor kicking when the opposition could not miss .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory . We forced turnovers only to turn it over ourselves only to see the Cats on a basketball like fast break . But apart from that I was disappointed in our young players not stepping up and sharing the load with our stalwarts who were fantastic . You could not of asked for more from our top echelon . Our bottom six were woeful . That was the game for mine .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:34 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Braithy wrote:

i'm not sure this is about individual performance. it's never been about pittonet sucks or is no good or is a potato it's not about centre square dominance. it's about winning footy games, and more importantly winning them in september.

pittonet was great, as to our centre square work. the problem is to get that, we are sacrificing other areas of our game. giving up 15, 16 & 15 (our last 3 matches) goals a game won't win a gf, no team ever has won a flag like that, and i don't think a team ever will tbh ... when our team defence folds up like cheap kmart chairs with the big boys floating around, we need to look at other ways - which to Voss's credit, he's been doing, and has done. I still think we're playing this style bcos of our severe injury toll.

if we have a full healthy squad, it'll be interesting how Voss selects his team. i suspect he wants to win, and he doesn't care how it looks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next