Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:53 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sydney Blue wrote:
The benefits of dominating the clearances and particularly the centre clearances far out weigh what you might get in additional run.
Must stick with the 2 rucks.
The more time TDK spends in the front half the better he will get.

We can beat these old men

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

i hope you're right - i feel like it's too early to go all in on it. in a more broader context, we've played two rucks for about a dozen games now, and it's only worked once. last night.

two trains of thought here.

a) the big boys finally learned how to play together and turned the corner.

b) they got lucky last night?

having manic pressure at the feet of the big guys helps, and that help is kinda on the way at some point. fogerty over owies, motlop over durdin.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:03 am 
Wayne Johnston

Sydney Blue wrote:
The benefits of dominating the clearances and particularly the centre clearances far out weigh what you might get in additional run.

From everything I’ve heard, this is statistically incorrect. All you hear from the stats gurus these days is that scoring from turnover is the recipe for premiership success. I assume it’s because on turnover your forward line in open and the opposition doesn’t have their defence set, so you get far easier looks, as opposed to stoppage where both teams will usually have their defensive structures set up.

But, ideal world is we can do both. Yesterday In the first half we dominated clearances but got slaughtered on the turnover. I think we outscored them by 3 goals from the centre bounce but they outscored us by 6-8 goals on turnover. Something like that.

In the second half we continued to dominated stoppages but also outscored them by 6 goals on turnover. No surprise this coincided with our pressure rating going from 150 to 240+

If we can achieve a 240+ pressure rating with 2 rucks who are both performing and impacting the game, then yeah let’s keep it going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro is

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

From everything I’ve heard, this is statistically incorrect. All you hear from the stats gurus these days is that scoring from turnover is the recipe for premiership success. I assume it’s because on turnover your forward line in open and the opposition doesn’t have their defence set, so you get far easier looks, as opposed to stoppage where both teams will usually have their defensive structures set up.

But, ideal world is we can do both. Yesterday In the first half we dominated clearances but got slaughtered on the turnover. I think we outscored them by 3 goals from the centre bounce but they outscored us by 6-8 goals on turnover. Something like that.

In the second half we continued to dominated stoppages but also outscored them by 6 goals on turnover. No surprise this coincided with our pressure rating going from 150 to 240+

If we can achieve a 240+ pressure rating with 2 rucks who are both performing and impacting the game, then yeah let’s keep it going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro is
It depends on your personal.
In the opening rounds it made sense to go one ruck and add another runner.
But we have Walsh back now so why would you not want to give Walsh and Cripps every opportunity .
Walsh is effectively 2 runners he is so good and getting better.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:59 pm 
Rod Ashman

It also depends on your disposal efficiency - we gave them a lot of those turnovers through unforced errors and then we were caught out of position.
Once we tidied that up, we gave up less on the turnover.
Plus, once TDK started to hit the scoreboard, they had to man up on him which drew defenders away from double Teaming Curnow and Harry or even just manning the space.
The clearance advantage is a big differentiator for us provided we can get clean ball and/or have runners on the outside to move the ball cleanly from the clearance.
But all these things need to work together. Usually driven by our high pressure game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:52 pm 
Robert Walls

Braithy wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

i hope you're right - i feel like it's too early to go all in on it. in a more broader context, we've played two rucks for about a dozen games now, and it's only worked once. last night.

having manic pressure at the feet of the big guys helps, and that help is kinda on the way at some point. fogerty over owies, motlop over durdin.

The MC and the team are working it well. They all are aligned that our game plan (incl when and how we use two ruckman) is a work in progress.

Braithy, I’d like to understand your comment - we’ve had two rucks now for about a dozen contests and it’s worked once……not sure about that. Might be worth understanding what ‘working’ means. We seem to be winning games of football

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:18 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
Stewart missing is a huge bonus. Plus I saw something of Cameron throwing his leg out and tripping someone. Could be interesting.
From memory Williams had a knock to the achilles previously and ruptured it the next week so I'd consider resting him. Not really expecting anyone back but hopefully Cincotta has a big one today. Matt Kennedy had a great game yesterday but he's a stop gap defender IMHO. His value is forward/mid.
Someone has to go to Meiers and stick with him. Possibly Boyd but I'm not sure he has the stamina to run with him.

I'm a fan of throwing out challenges to players and occasionally giving them a role specific for that week

Left field: I'd like to see Cotterel run with and harrass the bejezus out of Miers for the game. Get in his face, follow him everywhere and tackle, annoy, block etc

Maybe even do a 3 way swap with Boyd and O Hollands. Just annoy him all afternoon. When Boyd isn't on Miers, maybe he can have a 5 minute run as a midfielder...nothing better than his quality passes hitting up our fwds

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:16 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

london blue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

The MC and the team are working it well. They all are aligned that our game plan (incl when and how we use two ruckman) is a work in progress.

Braithy, I’d like to understand your comment - we’ve had two rucks now for about a dozen contests and it’s worked once……not sure about that. Might be worth understanding what ‘working’ means. We seem to be winning games of football

last season we persisted with tdk and pittonet for around a dozen games - would have been more only injuries, and then last week of course. Of all those games we've lost 10 to my memory, with the only two wins, narrow pantshitting affairs in the finals where it was more sheer will and guts that got us the win, over it being a tactically sound and competitive way of playing.

losing = not working?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

I guess u have to go on form. On form TDK and Pitto killed GWS.

More than happy for the 2 ruck option to continue against the Cats.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:10 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Can't imagine any unforced changes this week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

missnaut wrote:
I like attending them. But if you're home alone with a 6yo, 4yo and a 10mo dog during witching hour...They're a @#$%&! nightmare.
Correct weight

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:49 pm 
Robert Walls

Braithy wrote:
london blue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

last season we persisted with tdk and pittonet for around a dozen games - would have been more only injuries, and then last week of course. Of all those games we've lost 10 to my memory, with the only two wins, narrow pantshitting affairs in the finals where it was more sheer will and guts that got us the win, over it being a tactically sound and competitive way of playing.

losing = not working?

I agree, the best proxy for not working is win/loss….although the coach and players will talk about system etc

To your point, losing - means not working, I’m confused by your argument. Taking the last 5 home and away games of last year as one reference point - 1 loss (to GWS) and 4 wins. Pitto and TDK played together in the 4 wins and TDK was solo in the loss.

I am a big believer that we are learning and the right mix will vary week to week. However, your are not representing the facts correctly suggesting it’s only been a losing formula (2 rucks) prior to this week

Last edited by london blue on Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

london blue wrote:
To your point, losing - means not working, I’m confused by your argument. Taking the last 5 home and away games of last year as one reference point - 1 loss (to GWS) and 4 wins. Pitto and TDK played together in the 4 wins and TDK was solo in the loss.

Correct. And of those 4 wins, Harry played in 1. So we played with a ruck, forward/ruck and another key forward.
Exactly what we had in the first 4 wins of this year as well.

london blue wrote:
I am a big believer that we are learning and the right mix will vary week to week. However, your are not misrepresnting the facts correctly suggesting it’s only been a losing formula (2 rucks) prior to this week

I agree, he's not he's not misrepresenting the facts.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:07 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Braithy wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

I think you need to back up your wild claims with stats. The Melbourne finals game springs to mind immediately

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:09 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
london blue wrote:

Correct. And of those 4 wins, Harry played in 1. So we played with a ruck, forward/ruck and another key forward.
Exactly what we had in the first 4 wins of this year as well.

london blue wrote:
I am a big believer that we are learning and the right mix will vary week to week. However, your are not misrepresnting the facts correctly suggesting it’s only been a losing formula (2 rucks) prior to this week

I agree, he's not he's not misrepresenting the facts.

You’re as dopey as I am with your language

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:38 pm 
Ken Hunter

At this stage all reserved seats are sold. GA only available.

Edit.
More tickets must have been released. I got tickets in the Carlton area in M34 which I think is near the cheersquad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:16 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kingkerna wrote:
Braithy wrote:

I think you need to back up your wild claims with stats. The Melbourne finals game springs to mind immediately

lol ... wild claims

a wild claim would be, the duke of wales is a rampant homosexual.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

Well there you go, I didn't know he was of wales

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:50 pm 
Rod Ashman

Braithy wrote:
london blue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

losing = not working?

Your memory is a little off. 11 wins, 4 losses in their 15 games together since the beginning of 2023. At least that’s what I get from a quick scan of AFL Tables.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:08 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

cecil89 wrote:
Braithy wrote:
london blue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

losing = not working?

Your memory is a little off. 11 wins, 4 losses in their 15 games together since the beginning of 2023. At least that’s what I get from a quick scan of AFL Tables.

I think harry was injured for a big chunk of those games, yeah? in 2023 pittonet did his pcl, and harry a meniscus and concussion. from memory (i'm probably wrong, mind) it left about a dozen games when all three were selected, our 8 game lose streak, lost 9 of 11 all up, and then won the two finals.

Harry, TDK and Pitto in the same side is what i was talking about. Conventional thinking was/is only two of those three could play, bcos we start losing ground pressure and turnover capacity.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:09 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:
Well there you go, I didn't know he was of wales

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

:lol:

the fact he has teeth really throws you off, hey.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next