Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I fear the injury list is about to hit critical mass once again. We truly are cursed. The loss though annoying from a winning position is the least of our problems. Year after year, we have the longest injury list in the league and it's always best 22 players.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:00 pm 
formerly Fevola

And one must ask this question. Why after the warm up did McGovern and Boyd stay so much later than everyone else and just boot the ball with massive torps. I thought what was the point of them. McGovern and Boyd were absolutely booting them for ages. Hmmmmm McGovern now has a hammie. Coincidence ? Maybe but what was the point of putting that strain on your body. Different to having shots at goal rather than hamming it up. At one point Boyd threw the ball 30 meters rugby style and put his arms up in celebration. I thought that was all weird and not something i have seen before.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

You move the ball quickly with long flat accurate passes, & that's what Adelaide executed very well today, from where I sat. It didn't seem like it was their running that got us, it was their ball use & positioning. I guess I'd need to verify that with the replay, which I won't be doing, haha.

Anyway I didn't put it down to Cerra/Pitto. If you look at Adelaide's ruckman, he is an absolute unit & reckon he would have really had his way with TDK if we'd asked Tom to do 80%.

Thought we lost it with too many fluffed kicks, too many kicks back & across, too many times we took one too many handballs in congestion. That last one had me tearing my hair out because there were two in fairly quick succession, & it was just like, Jesus, just kick the thing!!

And our centre square setups just got killed all day, despite Walsh having a great game.

I really underestimated Tex, thought he was finished the last 2 weeks but the prick came back & gave Jacob a bit of a touch up today. Thought Weiters got a massive knock/fall last week against Freo & maybe he was a bit rattled from that.

Overall we just didn't seem right today. Crows felt like about a 3-4 goal better side, despite us having more shots, IMO.

Injury list is back to our standard dozen which is just wonderful for the tough run ahead, uuuugh.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

bender wrote:
social media going nuts about us and we desrve that too, but it sucks

Yeah, might give socials a wide berth for a few days I think :grin:

Having said that, at least the Freo supporters won't be laughing too hard after tonight against Port.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

GWS wrote:
Owies stubbed his toe.

Bloody stubba! :banghead: :banghead:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:19 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Walsh's return.
Boyd, Pittonet, Harry and Williams pretty good.
Oli's best game for the year.
Elijah is damaging going into forward 50.
Kemp's best defensive game until the final 5 minutes.

Cons:

Inaccuracy.
Beaten by opposition ball movement. The coaching panel seem spooked by Adelaide. 18 marks in defensive 50 is a horrible stat. Love to know whether they'll deign to have a plan for Keays next time after he's torched 3 games in a row.
Too many broken tackles.
Made a real mess of the last 10 minutes.
Injuries.
Weiters got beat and McGovern had a shocker.
Time for Carroll to go back to the VFL.
Cripps couldn't get near it after quarter time.
Even though he kicked 4 games, I thought Charlie was very average.
Fantasia and Owies were fairly invisible. At least Durdin applies a little defensive pressure.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

No Fogarty , No Carlton

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

How is it that an average footballer named Keays transforms into Toby Greene whenever he plays us?

And how does Tex transform into Tony Lockett when he plays us?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

That Adelaide tradition started with Brad Moran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:41 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sydney Blue wrote:
I thought that we out played them the 2nd half just failed to convert our chances.
We were totally out played in the first half
Losing Saad early then Gov in the last didn't help.
We lack composure in front of goal.

Law of averages says we were going to lose a close one eventually.

I agree with these points.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

kingkerna wrote:
bender wrote:
we could be as low as 8th on the ladder after this round, when we could have been second

lose next week and we risk falling out the 8 already

I couldn't give a @#$%&! where we are on the ladder now. It's where we are after round 23 that counts

liten KK, i dont want sensibility!!!! :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

you are fully correct btw, but this loss is still pissing me off, and no amount of belting nails into wood is helping

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:45 pm 
Craig Bradley

london blue wrote:
And yet we won more clearances!?!

Yeah, it's interesting, isn't it? I checked the stats and was a little surprised to see us slightly ahead. It felt like we were being smashed out of the centre. Maybe it was something to do with the speed and quality of the clearances. Once Saliga, Rankine or Rachele got their hands on it, the ball seemed to zip away.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

grrofunger wrote:
No Fogarty , No Carlton

welcome to the club gro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:49 pm 
Craig Bradley

I know every team zones, but I hate the way we've spent a lot of time guarding space the last 2 weeks, without actually applying physical pressure. To concede 18 marks in defensive 50 means that something diabolical went wrong. We didn't seem to be running as hard as they were, so we didn't get back to crowd space. And even when we did. We kept on conceding relatively easy short passes. If the opposition has worked out we want to defensively zone, then it might be time to actually man up in defence.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:53 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Stefchook wrote:
london blue wrote:
And yet we won more clearances!?!

Yeah, it's interesting, isn't it? I checked the stats and was a little surprised to see us slightly ahead. It felt like we were being smashed out of the centre. Maybe it was something to do with the speed and quality of the clearances. Once Saliga, Rankine or Rachele got their hands on it, the ball seemed to zip away.

the clearances i thought we were okay ... it was the coast to coast, slicing us up through the middle. crows would have been licking their lips - cerra out, pitto in. gameplan, put plenty of pace on the ball, get ball, and run and spread and they won't catch us.

and we couldn't.

i cannot believe how many soft tissue injuries we have. we're overtrained and the physios don't know how to fix human bodies. it's a real problem. on paper this team, under voss and his style could and should win it all this year. but we won't bcos of health. it's a real bummer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:01 pm 
Craig Bradley

Does anyone know who was on Keays? I couldn't tell from the tv coverage.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:30 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Drewgirl wrote:
And one must ask this question. Why after the warm up did McGovern and Boyd stay so much later than everyone else and just boot the ball with massive torps. I thought what was the point of them. McGovern and Boyd were absolutely booting them for ages. Hmmmmm McGovern now has a hammie. Coincidence ? Maybe but what was the point of putting that strain on your body. Different to having shots at goal rather than hamming it up. At one point Boyd threw the ball 30 meters rugby style and put his arms up in celebration. I thought that was all weird and not something i have seen before.

Crows players did the same thing, Charlie was last off also.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:03 am 
Ken Hunter

We won clearances overall but when they won them, they won them easily and got the ball down quickly.

We've also reverted to the bomb it to Harry or Charlie with three blokes hanging onto them strategy. Which, when you don't have the good smalls, is a terrible way to go about it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:03 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Stefchook wrote:
I know every team zones, but I hate the way we've spent a lot of time guarding space the last 2 weeks, without actually applying physical pressure. To concede 18 marks in defensive 50 means that something diabolical went wrong. We didn't seem to be running as hard as they were, so we didn't get back to crowd space. And even when we did. We kept on conceding relatively easy short passes. If the opposition has worked out we want to defensively zone, then it might be time to actually man up in defence.

we really were gut running and trying our best. but you cannot play a man down in 2024. you cannot replace a mid who covers 15km a game with a slow lumbering ruck who covers 6km. missing our best intercept defender and our best line breaker in the team (gov & saad) pittonet was glued to the bench for the last 15 mins of the game - why? bcos you just can't use him.

the forward line was back to being too crowded bcos harry and charlie were down there together more for what they have been the entire season, plus with tdk there as well. ball hits the deck and rebounds out of there a million miles an hour.

people really downplay or aren't aware how including pittonet killed us. pittonet could have kicked 5 goals, but his lack of defensive pressure cost us 6 goals and we lose by 3 points.

people ask how did the crows kick just 4 behinds - their goals weren't difficult and most were from getting in over the back bcos we couldn't slow the ball down.

now we are pretty screwed. more soft tissue injuries and hammy's than what a pro sports team should ever have. cripps running on an empty fuel tank bcos there's a new born in the house, and our cupboard is bare. saad and gov are two injuries (along with the rest we cannot cover)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:51 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Puttung this loss on Pitto is insane. Was one of our better players.

We simply didn't take our moments and leaked some pretty ordinary goals deep in the forward line.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next