Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:10 pm 
Ken Hunter

lost it at selection
Cerra out so Pitts???
So if you are going to do that then I think Kennedy ( I love his determination but it made us too slow) needed to go and Cincotta/Binns brought in to the squad...particularly with Walsh (what a player!) back after his long lay off.

It looked all game like we were a runner short...and of course that means we were also destined to lose a runner - Saad limping off meant toward the end of the game were were going to hurt.

Everyone saying were we bad - I disagree, we were slow but we fought and fought, in the end though they were moving the ball too easily from one end to the other.

Also I hate Durds, Owies and Fantasy in the same team. I out for someone taller I reckon. God we miss Martin!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:22 pm 
Harry Vallence

The loss we had to have.

Let's face it we've been bang average. Marginally better than the start of 2023.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:30 pm 
Bob Chitty

Got what we deserved in the end. Until we can learn to win games comfortably it’s hard to take us seriously as a premiership contender. Barely beat a rubbish Richmond side. Freo really outplayed us for the vast majority of last weeks game but we were good enough to win. Should have buried the 0-4 crows who can’t travel but of course that’s not what we do. Can’t just hope to beat teams by a few points each week, regardless of whether they are any good. And of course copped 3 more hamstring injuries for our troubles - Cerra, Saad, McGovern. Very disappointing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:44 pm 
Geoff Southby

Bottom six unsighted Ditto youngsters . Thats a lot of weight our better players have to carry . Time to give a couple of youngsters a go .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:46 pm 
Laurie Kerr

When I saw Pitto was in the team I got a bad feeling (turned out to be right). I thought we would win when we got up by 16 points but fluffed it. 14 and 14 in front of goal is atrocious. Maybe it's a loss we needed to have.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:49 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Not the team to go in with a lumbery line up against.
Can't see this season working out for Carlton this year.
The days of exciting 7-8 goal quarters are behind us. Been worked out. Gettable every week. We miss Doc and Cripps will be 80% the player due to the newborn. Hopefully we can get some games into Binns and Wilson.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

Haven't played great all year but have done the hard things to get us over the line. Today, didn't do that. Lazy, lack of pressure, allowing too many easy goals. Won 15 of our last 18 so it was due to happen, but it best be once off. If we do that hard things, we can win any game if if we are not at our best. Today wasn't it. 4 points pissed own the drain.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Exposed on the turnover....didn't lock the ball in our forward line and the Crows swept it out. Not sure about the defensive setups.

Carlton's ball movement didn't look great either.

Crows with 18 marks inside 50 to Carlton's 11. Adelaide so often with easy out the back marks with easy shots on goal.

It's an even competition.

Still shouldn't have lost after being up by what....16 points at the 20 minute mark?

Some critical errors in the last quarter where there was no talk and no composure.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

I didn't realise pittoknee came in for cerra (missed first 5 mins). I think history and blind freddy could tell you that's a massive risk i.e. runner for a lumbering ruckman

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:06 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

david31 wrote:
Got what we deserved in the end. Until we can learn to win games comfortably it’s hard to take us seriously as a premiership contender. Barely beat a rubbish Richmond side. Freo really outplayed us for the vast majority of last weeks game but we were good enough to win. Should have buried the 0-4 crows who can’t travel but of course that’s not what we do. Can’t just hope to beat teams by a few points each week, regardless of whether they are any good. And of course copped 3 more hamstring injuries for our troubles - Cerra, Saad, McGovern. Very disappointing

Correct, that's why Collingwood lost the GF eh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crows were never going to be easy.
It was season over if they lost.
You only have to be a bit off and someone will get you.
It's a round of upsets so far and Saints nearly caused one in Canberra.

Bagging of Pitto a bit over the top if anyone thinks Binns would have been the difference you are dreaming he is a wingman and we have plenty of them

Cincotta is managed tomorrow

There is bugger all else unless you threw in one of the first year players

The well has run dry

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:07 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

club29 wrote:
Not the team to go in with a lumbery line up against.
Can't see this season working out for Carlton this year.
The days of exciting 7-8 goal quarters are behind us. Been worked out. Gettable every week. We miss Doc and Cripps will be 80% the player due to the newborn. Hopefully we can get some games into Binns and Wilson.

Dumbest post ever

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:10 pm 
Ken Hunter

Went to the game and I was worried all week about this game. I was never confident we would win.
The signs were there early, the Crows really wanted this and to be so accurate in front of goal was annoying.
Like others, I don't think we have played that well all year, yet we have been winning.
We really looked slow today and were soundly beaten in the middle. Injuries didn't help, and we have some really tough games in the next month or so.
It was good to see Walsh back and he played a blinder.
Not sure how we lost after being 16 points up so late and the crowd behind them. Owies and Harry lost the game.
Did someone post that Owies stubbed his toe? It was comical. We went from somehow stuffing up sealing the game to being behind in the blink of an eye.
A bit of a reality check today. Lets see how they respond.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:15 pm 
Robert Walls

We were switched off from the start
They ran, we didn't
Their fwds had sooooooo much space to work in. Ours are ALWAYS crowded
Our trio of Fantasia, Durdin and Owies are the worst crumbing fwds in the AFL. Once Charlie or Harry drop the ball, it is mopped up with ease (happens every flowering week)
The Pitto decision was either arrogant or panicky. Did Voss worry about OBrien from last year?
We have a one paced midfield, Cerra is out and walsh coming back, and we bring in a statue in Pitto!!!
Given the point above WhyTF is Carroll sub???????? Could've been any one of our 4 useless small fwds or even O Hollands
We needed all midfield hands on deck from the first bounce

Got what we deserved. I don't care about the last 5 minutes and mistakes made, or even the fact that we had more scoring shots. Just did not have the right killer vibe today from the first bounce and paid price. Adelaide felt they were in the game from the beginning

We threw away 4 points we needed to bank and now with an increasing injury list, are in a parlous predicament with so many big games coming up

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:15 pm 
Robert Walls

diesel_85 wrote:
:banghead: :banghead: Forget the scoring shots.

The crows smashed us at the clearance game. Killed us through the middle.
Ran harder

It's bizarre that we were as close as we were.

Had no right to win that game.

Last week was the same.

It seems we're being figured out and need to find other ways to win.

For the love of anything, please no more 2 ruckmen.
And please please please, if a mid needs to be replaced, for christ sake replace him with a mid :banghead:

And yet we won more clearances!?!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:17 pm 
Geoff Southby

To win a flag you have to limit the Amount of problem players in your best 25 or so The guys who are prone to the odd bonehead play or two. Seems like the problem players, owies, kemp etc were up to their old tricks. I like them but they shit me to tears at times.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:24 pm 
Rod Ashman

we could be as low as 8th on the ladder after this round, when we could have been second

lose next week and we risk falling out the 8 already

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:26 pm 
Ken Hunter

diesel_85 wrote:

:

But that's what we've been doing all season, developing a turnover game. Are you suggesting we need to move on from that after only 5 games, one of them a loss? Do we now return to predominantly stoppage/ contested footy or discover a third way? Was today in fact the third way, bringing everyone's favourite Frenchman into the mix?

For me the biggest concern today was losing three players to hamstring injuries. Could this be the effect of continuing the heavy loads up to the bye and only recently easing off? The list is already uncomfortably long. I keep easing off on this because ultimately I love all our players and want to believe they're great, but this is going to happen every year we retain the likes of Marchbank, Martin, Gov and Cuningham. You have certain players guaranteed to miss at least half of every season, then you're always going to have a moderate number of players on the injured list, so throw in the annual early ACLs and all it needs is one or two unlucky breaks on gameday and you're in crisis mode. Some tough calls to be made at the end of the year; the cycle has to be broken.

All that aside, I feel many on here chronically underestimate our team and their accomplishments. We don't have a 4-1 record and 15 wins in our last 18 despite playing crap. A crap side doesn't overturn a 46 point deficit against the reigning runners up at a ground they haven't lost at in 18 months. Plenty to work on after this disappointment and we need to get some blokes back, but no reason to be pessimistic.

If you need cheering up, just look at Walshy's game. What a legend.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:29 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

bender wrote:
we could be as low as 8th on the ladder after this round, when we could have been second

lose next week and we risk falling out the 8 already

I couldn't give a @#$%&! where we are on the ladder now. It's where we are after round 23 that counts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:35 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

GreatEx wrote:
diesel_85 wrote:

:

But that's what we've been doing all season, developing a turnover game. Are you suggesting we need to move on from that after only 5 games, one of them a loss? Do we now return to predominantly stoppage/ contested footy or discover a third way? Was today in fact the third way, bringing everyone's favourite Frenchman into the mix?

For me the biggest concern today was losing three players to hamstring injuries. Could this be the effect of continuing the heavy loads up to the bye and only recently easing off? The list is already uncomfortably long. I keep easing off on this because ultimately I love all our players and want to believe they're great, but this is going to happen every year we retain the likes of Marchbank, Martin, Gov and Cuningham. You have certain players guaranteed to miss at least half of every season, then you're always going to have a moderate number of players on the injured list, so throw in the annual early ACLs and all it needs is one or two unlucky breaks on gameday and you're in crisis mode. Some tough calls to be made at the end of the year; the cycle has to be broken.

All that aside, I feel many on here chronically underestimate our team and their accomplishments. We don't have a 4-1 record and 15 wins in our last 18 despite playing crap. A crap side doesn't overturn a 46 point deficit against the reigning runners up at a ground they haven't lost at in 18 months. Plenty to work on after this disappointment and we need to get some blokes back, but no reason to be pessimistic.

If you need cheering up, just look at Walshy's game. What a legend.

Good post.

Just seems like a lot of today’s outcomes were predictable for a variety of reasons and there were no shortage of people making those predictions.

We regularly get ahead of ourselves as a club which is funny when it’s nearly 30 years since our last flag.

The streak!

Mort Sahl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next