Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:11 am 
Bruce Doull

missnaut wrote:
kezza wrote:
I haven't seen any of the game yet, was out and only checked scores.
All I am reading on social media is the umpires gifted us the game, then I saw Freo got 6 goals from frees so it can't have been all our way.
When I watch the replay should I just watch the last 10 minutes or watch the whole game?
We got caught HTB at least 4 times, they were there.
Watch the last 10 minutes cos the rest of the game was a struggle.

The frees were definitely there, but there were a couple the other end that we should've got that were ignored.
Makes the touched mark and goal even better :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:37 am 
Ken Hunter

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/1524 ... 2395020001

As always an informative interview from Vossy.

Hollands a hip adductor maybe
Zac is said to be okay.
Walsh will play next if he gets through training.

I suspect......

Walsh for Hollands
Marchbank for Kemp
Owies for Fog is he gets a week.
Kemp Sub.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:43 am 
Laurie Kerr

"You don't always win how you would like to win, you've got to win when the game is in an arm-wrestle."

M Voss 6 April 2024

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:44 am 
Bob Chitty

Great to find a way to win when we weren’t playing particularly well. Credit to Freo for bringing good pressure and obviously they’re a good defensive team. It felt like it wasn’t going to be our day until the last couple of minutes.

Didn’t think we had too many winners on the day. A lot of guys who were ok or worse. Weitering, Kemp, TDK, Boyd, Cottrell and Charlie (second half) all good.

Bank the win and move on. 4-0. Can’t have asked for a better start.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:51 am 
Geoff Southby

Fenwick Snap wrote:
Strangely confident throughout that we were going to run them down.

Could not have said that two years ago, possibly even last year for most of our killer run.

For all the bleating about the controversial finish - yawn...a barely discernible glance of the ball in real time, and a horribly timed dissent decision AFTER we were in front (no guarantee they would've caught us) - Freo, who played keepings off admirably for most of the game, were lucky we didn't nail a few more sitters (Harry! Blake!).

'A' for effort, Freo, but we still deserved the win for magically being a more efficient scoring machine despite poorer disposal. (No, I won't explain myself.)

Weiters huge as usual.
Kudos to the new dad for willing himself into every pack at the end, which successfully released a brilliantly elusive and quick-thinking Williams for the Charlie mark.
I think I left Boyd out of my votes but I liked a lot of his decision making and ball use. He's like a second Saad sometimes.
Was surprised Owies was the sub. I thought he was good last week and I hope it was a 'make a late impact' decision rather than a criticism. He played his part at the pointy end. And I do hope Elijah is okay. He wasn't having a stellar game but he's only warming up.

I wished our disposal was as good as Freo's early on, but I expected their quality to drop off under pressure (just like Bribane's) and thought we'd catch them eventually.

Did we have to wait so long though? Was it for old time's sake? Why hasn't there been more made of this new 'traditional' rivalry?

(And does it really mean anything winning our first game at that ground, as the drivelling heads kept banging on about, when it's not against an Adelaide team?)

Word is Walsh will be ready next week. Onwards and upwards! (Mind your back.)

Like that a lot Snap . Summed things up nicely . Agree with all of that .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:10 am 
Ken Hunter

Finally got to watch the replay. Pretty rubbish game until the final 10 minutes.
To be sitting 4-0 and not playing particularly well is a good thing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:10 am 
Ken Hunter

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1103550/tr ... 2407500001

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:18 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I longed for the day when we would be hated again. Those days are back again. And it’s @#$%&! glorious.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:37 am 
Harry Vallence

The umpires missed a clear Out of Bounds on the full which would have seen Cripps having a shot for goal, so it goes both ways.
Freo got a pretty good go imo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:37 am 
Ken Hunter

Cazzesman wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/video/1103550/trsf-vicious-query-in-dissent-drama-clever-cats-dees-big-key?videoId=1103550&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1712407500001

Regards Cazzesman

Decent assessment there by Cornes, maybe surprising they let him speculate about abusive language, but glad someone is pointing out that the touch on the Cottrell mark is never going to be spotted without hi-def video review of every on-field decision, and that the dissent free was not decisive given we were up with 40s left and are the close finish masters. I also agree Fog is in trouble but surely it'd be high contact - careless - medium impact which I doubt is 2-3 weeks... Cornes admits he doesn't know all the formulas and nor do I, but I'm expecting 1 week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:44 am 
Bruce Comben

NTBlue wrote:
missnaut wrote:
kezza wrote:
I haven't seen any of the game yet, was out and only checked scores.
All I am reading on social media is the umpires gifted us the game, then I saw Freo got 6 goals from frees so it can't have been all our way.
When I watch the replay should I just watch the last 10 minutes or watch the whole game?
We got caught HTB at least 4 times, they were there.
Watch the last 10 minutes cos the rest of the game was a struggle.

WE did get penalised a few times for incorrect disposals when tackled and ball was knocked free or player tried to kick but missed the ball. Fair enough umps, but I counted around 8 times when freo players were tackled when they just let the ball go or missed it when trying to kick. It appears that there is one rule for when our players get tackled and another one for when we tackle opponents.

When we were about 10 points down with just over 2 minutes to go, I said to my son " now would be a good time for the umpires to even up the free kick count." A couple of minutes later he was calling me Nostradamus.

Exactly right. There was one obvious free to us in centre square and play on.

Also don't forget the very clear out on the full to us which was in our forward pocket. Would have been a shot at goal.

Umpires were dreadful all day but on the whole Freo got the rub of the green.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:01 am 
Geoff Southby

Lowey_47 wrote:
Watching some of the highlights, id have thought the dropped mark from treacy was the killer for them. They probably would have iced the game right there if he hadn't spilled it like a bag of faeces

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

they clogged the field and slow played all afternoon long. they couldn't put us away, and they couldn't stop us when it counted late in the 4th.

Letting williams break lines and send it deep, letting charlie mark it, and then the whole last sequence where they couldn't kill the ball.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:34 am 
Craig Bradley

Under the 90s match ratio method of deciding ladder position we are on top. Only sides above us have played one more game and had a loss.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:37 am 
Geoff Southby

Princes Park Whistler wrote:
The umpires missed a clear Out of Bounds on the full which would have seen Cripps having a shot for goal, so it goes both ways.
Freo got a pretty good go imo.

Agree " Whistler " . We got a decent run of the umpires last week and this week Freo got a good go . Swings and roundabouts , what go's round comes round .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Vossy knew what to expect from Longmires team and planned for it.

No way was Vossy was outcoached. Vossy did his homework and knew what Freos game was all about.

Vossy coached his team to handle Freos game plan and watch out for their sling shot.

The margin was always manageable. We managed Freo's defensive game very well.

We missed more chances than Freo did, and Freo getting rub of the green wasn't too telling.
Free kicks in front of goal are unacceptable, part of the footy landscape and must erase from our game.

We won. That's all you need to remember.

We miss Walshy's class and break away speed. That will come.

Strange to see the opposition rucks both named in their team's best. So who won, who lost?
Loved TDK's energy.

Weitering was our best. Crippas desire to win the game in last 10 minutes was the telling factor for our come from behind win.
I love the running small backs Saad William and Boyd. What a group of gutsy runners.

Without Charlies 3 goals, we dont win. Great team effort. I thought we were disciplined and didnt get frustrated by Freo's game.

This week Cottrell got reward for all the selfless running he gives the team. For his detractors, his game hasn't changed from last week or the week before etc.

Next the Crows.

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I actually enjoyed the arm wrestle.

WE played against a different style of game than previous 3 games. It was a different way to win. :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

I thought the same re: Jackson v TDK. On the radio it sounded like Jackson was the clear winner. However, with these athletic young bucks playing high TOG%, I guess it is plausible for both to be amongst their best. I didn't give TDK an MVP vote, but I also conspired to overlook CC's 6 contested marks so my judgement is mercurial at best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:46 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I disagree with most of what's being said on here - and that's fine. Freo were the better team yesterday. But for an umpiring decision that should have been play on, they likely win. Carlton were very average and had a number of players well below par. Looking forward to Motlop's return because Fantasia isn't the answer and is a selfish footballer. Thought TDK, Boyd and Weiters were terrific. Hopefully the coaches dissect this game how it should be dissected. Our midfield is desperate for Walsh because it's not working at present and will probably take a loss for some to see it.

Adelaide might not tell us much next week - although I think they'll put up a decent showing. Giants, Cats, Mapgies, Dees and Swans to follow. We'll know everything there is to know about this Carlton team by mid-May.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:04 pm 
Ken Hunter

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/04/06/ ... reo-error/

Interesting tweet.

You can see by the instant reaction of the umpire to Clark's words, and the reaction of the Freo players nearby, that what he said was OTT.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:08 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Last time we were 4-0 was 1995.

Mort Sahl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next