Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:17 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
Quote:
The Blues are confident defender Caleb Marchbank (illness) will return for Good Friday's game against the Kangaroos, with Weitering also a chance to feature, while Walsh and Jack Martin (knee) are also steadily building towards a return.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1089935/big-blues-break-carlton-take-unique-approach-to-early-season-bye-ahead-of-good-friday-game-against-north-melbourne

Does this sound like Marchbank will play against North? Does to me. Weitering must be close and probably has to get through the next 15 days training block.

Quote:
...returning stars like Jacob Weitering (calf) and Sam Walsh (back) are likely to hit the track early this week as they aim for impending comebacks.

Weitering has been on the track for several weeks now, and publicly, Weiters and Lloyd have stated Weiters return was always going to be the game after the bye.

Who goes out if both Marchbank and Weitering return to play Kangas? Pressure.

Young out for Weiters
Marchy comes back through the Ressies (or waits if there's no game).

Keep playing Kemp and Gov as the other 2 talls.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:24 pm 
Bruce Doull

We've got the VFL bye this weekend so they'd have no prep games if they come in for North.

Craig Bradley

New Hollands will come in for sure, so the brothers will get a game together. Ollie set a high bar after his first season & so far (for mine), he’s only been knocking into it. Structurally excellent, statistically not great… he’s a fast learner though. Who knows what we’ll have come the business end of the season.

Motlop’s status as #1 small forward hasn’t changed. Straight in for mine.

Martin is not so straight forward… I think he’s one of our best, but the midfield mix has held us together these first couple of games with Cuningham & Fogarty playing an important role forward of centre. Hollands takes one of their spots… George has been one of our best & they couldn’t possibly drop Carroll. Nor would they want Cripps doing any more ruck work than he already does, so Kennedy will be hard to drop. I suppose they could gas Harry to the point of exhaustion, which should do wonders for his goal kicking…

They say it’s a good problem to have, but it’s all too easy to @#$%&! it up.

Hopefully Weitering is right to go. North have a better forward line than most give them credit for. It’s the supply that is pox… that’s not to say we’re [REDACTED] without him, but North & Freo would be the best warm up he could hope for.

I haven’t got high hopes for Walsh returning before the Geelong game in R7, so a 3-4 week assessment after the bye.

IN: E. Hollands Weitering Motlop
OUT: Cuningham Young Owies

Rough go for Owies, but my mind is set on the Motlop/Fantasia pairing.

Ken Hunter

No talk of Motlop.

Re Walsh........Just looking at the Fixture................and I have no idea how Walsh is tracking, but I wonder if they will give him another month and get him back for Rd 5. Rd 4 is a flight to Adelaide. I know it is a short flight but........I want him 100% when he gets back.

Rd 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 all in Melbourne so no flying.

If we get over The Roos, then it is 3/0 coming up against Freo in Adelaide Rd 4. No rush for Walsh.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

Owies kicked 2 goals and Cuningham had a great all round game, neither should miss

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Clarkson will make this North’s Grand Final - so we need to be fully on for this game.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

grrofunger wrote:
Owies kicked 2 goals and Cuningham had a great all round game, neither should miss

i think the consensus is both elijah and motlop are better players offering more.

nice problems to have, depth.

for elijah straight in for DC, DC to go to sub and durdin out. motlop for owies and weiters for young.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Interesting responses to the quote:

Quote:
The Blues are confident defender Caleb Marchbank (illness) will return for Good Friday's game against the Kangaroos

ie Blues confident Marchbank will be selected to play, and if so, believe it or not, whose spot does he take?

Vossy has picked Marchbank twice last year, straight up following injury. Looks like it may be the case again.

Its easy to suggest he can come back through the Ressies, but the questionthe MC pose isn't about your opinion on whether Marchbank returns to Ressies or not, its who does Marchbank replace if its true Blues will select him?

Last year, after returning from injury Marchbank was selected as 23rd man in the last round of the season, the week after he was in the starting 18 for Elimination Final along with Weiters, Kemp, Gov in a tall but mobile defensive unit, ditto the following week vs Dees in the semi, and in the Prelim, Kemp made way leaving 3 tall defenders and Boyd came in. Marchbank was our best in the Prelim.

Weitering should be right to go too, and he's in if fit.

So Weiters and Marchy in, whose out? Its a tough decision, especially after Kemp played his best game for us. Young for Weiters is a given unless Vossy needs Young's height to play on CCP.

I think Marchbank may be 23rd man, like he was in the last round in 2023, to get some game time in before Finals. In last round last year Blake Acres was substituted out for Marchbank giving Marchbank 37% game time.

Pressure on spots. Great problem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

we have a long time to debate this... I hate a bye at any time but round three... yuk

I also feel DC to miss and they bring in E Hollands for him.

G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

i think the consensus is both elijah and motlop are better players offering more.

for elijah straight in for DC, DC to go to sub and durdin out. motlop for owies and weiters for young.

Not that I disagree with your suggestions, all make sense, but that's a lot of changes to an undefeated team, especially when you have to consider:

And whose out for Marchbank?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
Clarkson will make this North’s Grand Final - so we need to be fully on for this game.

We owe Clarkson more than a dint to his ego. Especially after Fev was selected in our Hall of Fame.

A refreshed Carlton, with a couple key players back should embarrass the prick through his team.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

Nice problem to have for sure. Does worry me though to bring in too many players who have to be lacking match fitness. Motlop, Marchy, Martin (when fit) could all have a run in the twos for mine, especially when the players they'd replace haven't been going too badly. Motlop with his talent could well become a champion, but is still a work in progress at the moment. Elijah the same.

We are 2-0 coming off a hard training block, now have a bye. No need for wholesale changes, make 'em earn their spots through form in the twos.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

Not that I disagree with your suggestions, all make sense, but that's a lot of changes to an undefeated team, especially when you have to consider:

don't get lost in the undefeated bit ... we were abysmal against tigers and lions don't look so good. if it makes the team better, you gots to do it.

fwiw i think marchbank comes back thru ressies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

don't get lost in the undefeated bit ... we were abysmal against tigers and lions don't look so good. if it makes the team better, you gots to do it.

fwiw i think marchbank comes back thru ressies.

I get why people dont want to say who goes out when they are playing well and winning, but someone has to make way for the obvious players coming in.

I guess its best to look at Best 23 teams without SOS and Doc.

You do realsie that

Quote:
Carlton's high-performance staff have been preparing for the early bye since last November's fixture release, planning to build game loads through heavy a training block that continued into the season this time around.

Quote:
It meant Blues players kept training through after their pre-season scratch matches, enduring a heavy month-long block of conditioning that also featured two practice games and two proper matches against Brisbane and the Tigers.

Quote:
The majority of those games were played in sweltering conditions, with their game at the Gabba last Friday night coming after successive pre-season scratch matches where temperatures hovered in the high-30s throughout.

and we still won against that.

Vossy admitted to the public

Quote:
"What we've decided to do is go to the line hard over the last four weeks," Carlton coach Michael Voss said after Thursday night's win over Richmond.

"It probably means we haven't been as pristine, because we've trained pretty hard up until that point in time. We've deliberately, over this last month, kept training up and we obviously got the game exposure we needed.

"The view was always to get to here and see what shape we were in and then use it as a bit of rest and recovery and then launch into the season from here."

So we were playing praccy games even when they were worth 4 points against Tigers and Lions, to condition our players for the 2024 season, and if we won, bonus.

So we won playing at the risk of losing, and even when we weren't in tip top shape to play our best we still won.

I don't think we were abysmal at all against that back drop and we all should be celebrating the FACT we are undefeated.

Come on Braithy ... you still have to do that nudie run to pay for your negativity. Your words. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
AGRO wrote:

We owe Clarkson more than a dint to his ego. Especially after Fev was selected in our Hall of Fame.

A refreshed Carlton, with a couple key players back should embarrass the prick through his team.

I’d like to make him grovel. :wink: :lol:

I’d like us to be 12 goals up in the final quarter and then put 12 players on Nick Larkey.

I’d like someone to go the North Melbourne coaches box and punch a hole in the wall.

I’d like someone to go and punch a hole in Clarkson but hey let bygones be bygones.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:55 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Interesting responses to the quote:

Quote:
The Blues are confident defender Caleb Marchbank (illness) will return for Good Friday's game against the Kangaroos

ie Blues confident Marchbank will be selected to play, and if so, believe it or not, whose spot does he take?

Vossy has picked Marchbank twice last year, straight up following injury. Looks like it may be the case again.

Its easy to suggest he can come back through the Ressies, but the questionthe MC pose isn't about your opinion on whether Marchbank returns to Ressies or not, its who does Marchbank replace if its true Blues will select him?

Last year, after returning from injury Marchbank was selected as 23rd man in the last round of the season, the week after he was in the starting 18 for Elimination Final along with Weiters, Kemp, Gov in a tall but mobile defensive unit, ditto the following week vs Dees in the semi, and in the Prelim, Kemp made way leaving 3 tall defenders and Boyd came in. Marchbank was our best in the Prelim.

Weitering should be right to go too, and he's in if fit.

So Weiters and Marchy in, whose out? Its a tough decision, especially after Kemp played his best game for us. Young for Weiters is a given unless Vossy needs Young's height to play on CCP.

I think Marchbank may be 23rd man, like he was in the last round in 2023, to get some game time in before Finals. In last round last year Blake Acres was substituted out for Marchbank giving Marchbank 37% game time.

Pressure on spots. Great problem.

Ressies play on Good Friday as well :wink:

Barring catastrophe, the smalls are locked in. It’ll be Kemp or McGovern to make way - if Weitering is back.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

No chance it's McGovern unless he's injured

Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:58 pm 
Bruce Doull

GWS wrote:
Let's see what the coaches' votes say...
Gov with a lazy 8 coaches' votes.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:28 pm 
Bruce Doull

See.....always lazy!! :grin:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
AGRO wrote:

I’d like to make him grovel. :wink: :lol:

I’d like us to be 12 goals up in the final quarter and then put 12 players on Nick Larkey.

I’d like someone to go the North Melbourne coaches box and punch a hole in the wall.

I’d like someone to go and punch a hole in Clarkson but hey let bygones be bygones.

Geez , talk about hold a grudge . Me too . Great work boys .

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next