Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:17 am 
Stephen Kernahan

AFLxScore
@AFLxScore
#AFLBluesTigers Final xScores:
CARL 86 from expected 95.6 (+0 rushed)
RICH 79 from expected 81.3 (+2 rushed)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:26 am 
Bruce Doull

GreatEx wrote:
99prelim wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:
I can't believe more aren't ticked off with Charlie playing on in the goal square. If you mark the ball in the goal square just go back and kick the @#$%&! goal! Almost cost us the game. There were some terrible errors made tonight. And some really bad set shot goal kicking. We got away with it. That was a comfortable 5 goal victory made exceedingly difficult

Agree about Charlie. Needs a kick up the backside. Also needs another kick up the backside when he tries to fire in those 40m "worm burners" into the corridor which take extraordinary skill

They missed some sitters as well. In fact, I will say that if Prestia plays, we lose that game

We won...I'm rapt!!

We probably should have lost, notwithstanding the fact that they got 2 bs free kicks at the start

I was livid with Charlie most of the night. The goal square incident was the obvious one, but I was also disproportionately annoyed in the first 15 seconds when we were 35m from goal and about to earn a stoppage that would have created early pressure, but he grabs the ball and tries an impossible shot that flew 20m wide of the behind post and gave them an easy escape. Just foolish, self centred play. You get some good and some bad from Charlie, last night was more bad than good but it's a price worth paying for the good... although I do sometimes wonder whether cutting some of the bad would come at the expense of the good! I guess we'll never know.

Curnow plays purely on instinct and that's always going to come with some brain farts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:32 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Charlie could have cost us the game with that play-on. He probably cost us playing finals in 2022 doing the same.
He needs to get better.
I suspect he loves the post-goal celebration after a play-on goal. It's immediate, not delayed 30 sec.
Definitely something he needs to get out of his game, when he doesn't know where the opponent is, and the set shot is easy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:36 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Defintely got out of jail last night.
I was nervous when Tigers recalled Dusty, Nank and Lynch.
That made them 25 points better at least.
They also had to atone for a poor effort at GC.
Their mids worked us over. And we obliged with some poor inside 50 entries.
I suspect we would have been up 4 goals at least at 1/4 time if the 3 non FK goals weren't paid. We were all over them before Lynch got his non frees. Might have been a completely different game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am 
Wayne Johnston

The ruck free to Lynch against TDK was there . He pushed him in the back the second time. Too obvious. The Young one could have not been paid but accept the decision. I think Boyd made a terrible mistake just prior to the Tigers entry that was worse than the umpiring decision.
We do look inexperienced in a few areas. Need Jacob and Marchbank back in defense and I think we miss JSos linking up some of those attacking transitions. We went in too fast and long on the transition last night in the first quarter. Cripps, Fog, Kenny, Williams and CUrnow all blazed away running through the middle. Prefer the approach for the Owies goal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:20 am 
Wayne Johnston

missnaut wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:
I can't believe more aren't ticked off with Charlie playing on in the goal square. If you mark the ball in the goal square just go back and kick the @#$%&! goal! Almost cost us the game. There were some terrible errors made tonight. And some really bad set shot goal kicking. We got away with it. That was a comfortable 5 goal victory made exceedingly difficult
It worked for Acres in the semi LOL

Acres had a look around before he played on…

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:22 am 
Wayne Johnston

kingkerna wrote:
Can someone explain why Charlie's stuff up wasn't a point?
I recall it was paid holding the ball, if that's the case why was it referred to the video?

I guess it was called incorrect disposal, but if he’d kicked it (which he did as was shown clearly on the replay) it was correct disposal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:24 am 
Wayne Johnston

GreatEx wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
[]

If you watch the replay you'll see Kemp was pretty @#$%&! good apart from that one horrendous error

I count three bad errors - the turnover for Richmond's last goal, the attempted speccie that gifted them an easy goal, and blazing it oobotf from 60m instead of putting it to the top of the square. But I agree he made some good intercepts and got his hands on the ball deep in defence at crucial times.

I’m ok with the attempted speccy, he was caught behind and had to jump at the ball or he would have been outmarked by the taller player. Also it was Guvs fault as much as Kemp, the ball went to ground and rolled between Guvs legs to the tiger player, he should have picked it up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:32 am 
Robert Walls

club29 wrote:
Thought we blew a few chances on the fast break early by going in too long. Prefer when we take one extra possession and open up the fwd line. Our inexperienced players made mistakes that cost us goals early too. Made it harder than it had to be.
Only heard in passing but I think Voss mentioned we haven't tapered off heavy training loads yet and gambled to get through to the bye. We should be flying over the next month if that is the case and explains the heavy legs over the last two games.

Agree...my view is that IF the only option is to go I15-I30 and if it's obvious that marking will be difficult, the strategy should be to bring the ball to the ground, including our talls punching, tapping, disrupting their KPDs, have the small fwds at the ready to crumb or just create another ball up or chaos situation

Our tall fwds almost meed to play with a defensive mindset (in the situation mentioned above). I was getting annoyed at the number of times Rich defenders were (a) either marking it or (b) our KPF were trying to mark it and Rich would just take the ball out of our F50

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:39 am 
Bruce Doull

club29 wrote:
The ruck free to Lynch against TDK was there.

My problem with the ruck free is that they ignore that 99% of the time if the ruck whose forward line it's in does it.
See Tom Hawkins/Max Gawn/etc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:49 am 
Wayne Johnston

Wojee wrote:
club29 wrote:
The ruck free to Lynch against TDK was there.

My problem with the ruck free is that they ignore that 99% of the time if the ruck whose forward line it's in does it.
See Tom Hawkins/Max Gawn/etc

True .

Nonetheless TDK will learn from that one. Young would have been spewing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:14 am 
Bruce Doull

And just for added effect, Charlie chose to do it in the Nick Reiwoldt goalsquare.

Idiot :banghead: :grin:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:15 am 
Laurie Kerr

Well that was the 1st time I have see the Blues win live since Rd7, 2016 v Collingwood. It's been a long time between drinks.

Crap game but a win is a win especially given my circumstances.

We can only get better with the players coming back, and better to win ugly than not at all.

Thanks to all the posters here as it is great to still be involved from a distance.

Been a member since 1978 and will be 'til I die.

Go Baggers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:15 am 
Bruce Doull

jezzarules wrote:
diesel_85 wrote:
CK95 wrote:
I was disappointed in Durdin. With Rich so undermanned I thought he'd come on & kill it, but only saw him briefly.

Cripps super but we don't want to keep relying on him. Thought George started well in the middle but faded. Carroll looks like an absolute win, especially in traffic. Looking forward to him against North.

Charlie had his moments but flower he's just not very smart at all :lol:

I think the guy we're really missing is jack Martin. Forward line just seemed lame for the most part.

Funny saying this at Rd 2 but I really think we need the bye. It's been hectic. As others have said, media would have been dreadful if we'd lost that. Because to be fair to Richmond, that was gutsy by them.

Suck shit Shai Bolton though. Massive karma bus delivery right there at the end!!

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

I still have the image of him running into open goal holding the ball out to doc like a showpony. Was that 2 years ago?
Flog

Attachment:
IMG_20240314_225805.jpg

We need a meme showing that, & the fumble at the end last night

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:33 am 
Garry Crane

CK95 wrote:
I still have the image of him running into open goal holding the ball out to doc like a showpony. Was that 2 years ago?
Flog

Attachment:
IMG_20240314_225805.jpg
[/quote]

I think that was 2021. Karma indeed. It almost pinpoints the moment Richmond turned to shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:38 am 
Garry Crane

sinbagger wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
I recall it was paid holding the ball, if that's the case why was it referred to the video?

I guess it was called incorrect disposal, but if he’d kicked it (which he did as was shown clearly on the replay) it was correct disposal.

Definitely feathered the ball with the side of his foot.

Basic laws of physics dictate an object in motion won’t change direction unless a force acts upon it. The ball was not rotating on its axis, and then starts to spin after it moves past the side of his foot.

Video review in 2024 is greatly improved - making wrong decisions much more quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:03 am 
Craig Bradley

missnaut wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:
It worked for Acres in the semi LOL

Acres had more awareness of what was around him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:04 am 
Craig Bradley

Bluetears wrote:
Only second game, but..
Blues are top of the ladder & pies are 18th.. mmmmmmm

We are on top with a 2-0 record after round 1...lol.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:06 am 
Ken Hunter

sinbagger wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
[]

If you watch the replay you'll see Kemp was pretty @#$%&! good apart from that one horrendous error

I count three bad errors - the turnover for Richmond's last goal, the attempted speccie that gifted them an easy goal, and blazing it oobotf from 60m instead of putting it to the top of the square. But I agree he made some good intercepts and got his hands on the ball deep in defence at crucial times.

I’m ok with the attempted speccy, he was caught behind and had to jump at the ball or he would have been outmarked by the taller player. Also it was Guvs fault as much as Kemp, the ball went to ground and rolled between Guvs legs to the tiger player, he should have picked it up.

I have to disagree with you there - rule of thumb as a defender is that if you go the speccie, you'd better @#$%&! take it. Because if you miss, you're taking yourself out of the play, and probably some of your teammates too. If you can't mark, go the punch. That's why a lot of experienced defenders go the punch even when it seems they could easily have marked, it's the smart play. I can't be having it that Gov is equally to blame, you're equating not having the reflexes of a cat with making low-percentage decisions. But hey, at least it's not as bad as Surrey singling Gov out as one of the two biggest blunderers on the night when he had 26 possies at 92% while taking on the high-risk high-rewards kicks through the corridor. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:08 am 
Craig Bradley

kingkerna wrote:

It was either a goal, if it hit his foot, or holding the ball, because it missed his foot. With the free kick, it can't be a point. You could hear the umpire say if it wasn't a goal it was a free kick for HTB.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next