Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

Bad kicking is bad footy.
We've been on the wrong end of shoddy scorelines so often that I'm thrilled it happened to our opposition.
May it happen every week.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:31 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Couldn't agree more. :smoking:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:50 pm 
Bob Chitty

anyone who is complaining about how we won ... has lost the plot ...

46 points down, against a side that hasnt lost on their home ground for sometime, a side that should still finish top 2 (if not TOP imo) .. with what is fairly close to their best side (with the exception of 2 or so players) ...

i can barely fathom how we won that game, i can fathom even less how anyone could be negative about it ...

i had doubts about us, especially after the pre-season form, players out, was happy to walk away with a respectable loss ... but to win, is an amazing start to the season. to win from 46 down is incredible ...

if you arent happy with that win, i doubt any win would satisfy you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:13 pm 
Bruce Doull

Nobody's unhappy with the win, but there's a statistical argument that the Lions missed some easy shots in the second half.

To counter it though, my view is that we applied a shit tonne of perceived pressure in their heads & made them nervous. Not just in front of goal but in defence also. Have a look at Harris Andrews dropping an absolute sitter in defence that lead to the Cottrell goal for example.

That game should set up our season brilliantly

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

Traveller86 wrote:
Effes wrote:
Expected score highlights that we were a bit fortunate.

Is this xG business creeping into Aussie Rules now too?

I seriously can't stand that shit, some people seem to wear xG as a badge of honour like, oh we lost the game, but we were ahead on xG so it's all good. Nah mate, it means your strikers are shit, or maybe the other team has a better goalie than you, and guess what, both of those things are within the laws of the game! Suck it up!

As others have said, Brisbane wilted under the Queensland heat and the Carlton heat. They weren't having any trouble slotting them when they were on top, were they?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:03 pm 
Horrie Clover

For god's sake anyone complaining about this win can p1ss off and go barrack for North.
This win was huge and another massive step forward.
We're finally on the right path just enjoy the ride...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:04 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
Nobody's unhappy with the win, but there's a statistical argument that the Lions missed some easy shots in the second half.

To counter it though, my view is that we applied a shit tonne of perceived pressure in their heads & made them nervous. Not just in front of goal but in defence also. Have a look at Harris Andrews dropping an absolute sitter in defence that lead to the Cottrell goal for example.

That game should set up our season brilliantly

:clap:
Correct. I haven't read anyone who is complaining about winning. Scoring accuracy is important and it decides a lot of games. This time it was in our favour and we should take it every time. There will be times where we kick ourselves out of games and no one will give us any sympathy points. A win is a win.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:16 pm 
Ken Hunter

tommi wrote:
HEY…..

is it worth reading the match day thread…?

just wondering who was losing their minds…
saying the weird stuff again….!

you guys are funny….!

kindest regards tommi

I just want to remind everyone of this post from Braithy;

I will run the streets naked robustly humming ride of the valkyries if we somehow win this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

My philosophy on this is simple.

@#$%&! em!!!!

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:30 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

GreatEx wrote:
As others have said, Brisbane wilted under the Queensland heat and the Carlton heat. They weren't having any trouble slotting them when they were on top, were they?

Mid second quarter. Brisbane 10 consecutive inside 50's. 3 points and 2 out on the full without Carlton getting it past the centre. All shots from within 40 metres including 3 set shots. They were leading 9 goals to 2. I'd suggest that is on top. They had the chance to put us out of the game but they failed.

But for any posters to suggest scoring efficiency isn't important is baffling. It impacts results as much as any outcome. In fact I'd suggest it is the most important statistic for winning/losing games. They couldn't convert and our boys were good enough to take advantage and to make them pay. Momentum is huge and we ride it as well as anyone. Especially with our supporter base up and about.

As I've said, we've kicked ourselves out of games before and it's good to see other teams suffer for it and us to benefit. How anyone can see that as a criticism or complaining is stupidity. I'll take a win any way we can get them. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

No one is talking about kicking efficiency, other than the post reminding us "Bad Kicking is bad football" and of course, a couple who suggest Lions kicking lost them the game.

What most are agreeing with is that the pressure Carlton were able to exert on the Lions after the 19 minute mark of the 2nd was the reason why the Lions capitulated around the ground and in front of goals.

We were stronger together for longer. Simple. We came from 46 points down.

It is only a couple posters who are implying we were lucky to win due to Lions missing easy shots at goal. Call it inefficiency or whatever, but simply speaking, footy speak, letting our eyes be the judge, we started to win the inside battle, tackled more and harder, got under their skin, inside their heads, and they weren't in control of their kicking at goal for it thereafter; our pressure was too much for them to handle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

What about our simple misses? Harry missed one straight in straight front. Cunners missed a couple he'd usually eat for breakfast, and Govs shot from a gimme, 50m dead in front was a straight forward kick for him too. Somehow those misses aren't highlighted for argument's sake, and the point becomes Lions misses and inefficiency lost them the game.

We rushed 3 of their behinds. Maybe we should've kept one of those rushed behinds in play playing to double our victorious margin, and make people happier.

We beat the Lions on their home ground fair and square, in fact with 6 of our best players missing.

We won because we were the better team. The Lions capitulated under Blues pressure.

The Nervous Nellies thread is over there.

Go Baggers!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Hats off to our defence, team defence, not only for withstanding the first quarter onslaught, but to stop them from scoring much more than they did during the onslaught.

Do you remember towards the end of the first quarter and Charlie took a mark in defence? Well that was another part of play to keep the Lions at arms length and not allow them to score, and getting no reward for all that energy exerted.

Rope a Dope.

We withstood their onslaught and didnt allow them to bury us with the knock out punch.

Credit to OUR selfless team defence.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
tommi wrote:
HEY…..

is it worth reading the match day thread…?

just wondering who was losing their minds…
saying the weird stuff again….!

you guys are funny….!

kindest regards tommi

I just want to remind everyone of this post from Braithy;

I will run the streets naked robustly humming ride of the valkyries if we somehow win this.

Glad you brought that up kezza. Wasn't too many who were confident in that second quarter.

Braithy was being Braithy. I bet he believes in the list now. Injuries or no injuries.

Now for the robust streak. Come on Braithy. Pictures please. Preferably pixelated. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Hats off to our defence, team defence, not only for withstanding the first quarter onslaught, but to stop them from scoring much more than they did during the onslaught.

Do you remember towards the end of the first quarter and Charlie took a mark in defence? Well that was another part of play to keep the Lions at arms length and not allow them to score, and getting no reward for all that energy exerted.

Rope a Dope.

We withstood their onslaught and didnt allow them to bury us with the knock out punch.

Credit to OUR selfless team defence.

Yes , and particularly as the much maligned Young and Kemp were part of that defence .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:03 am 
Robert Walls

Thought I would head in here and read people’s views on the game.

I live in Brisbane, and see enough of the Lions (both live and on tv) to have formed an opinion of them as too mentally soft to win a flag. My view is they have some front runners who don’t like it when the heat goes on them. I’d have Charlie Cameron and Cam Rayner high up in this category. And while Dunkley has added toughness around the ball, they are still not powerful enough in there. Ashcroft is a big loss. While they have some excellent footballers (I love Zac Bailey), I would be surprised to see them win a flag. I just think they are a slight rung below what is required.

All of the above is relevant to the discussion on accuracy. I agree they missed shots and that iallowed us to win. But to think of it as luck…. well, I am a bit different. I am more with CK95. I think in that second half we had got into their heads. And to contrast the teams, we are mentally tough. It’s just that as fans who have been through the last 30 years, we are reluctant to acknowledge it. But we are the side who came back from 16th (or whatever) on the ladder to make the finals. We are the side who beat Melbourne and Collingwood in the H&A last year with significant players missing. We are the side that came back from a putrid first half away versus Gold Coast. We are the side who won a final against Melbourne with one last frantic roll of the dice.

I just think that when the game was there to be won, we were the side which was mentally tougher. I used to watch Hawthorn teams in the 1980s and the Lions three-peat teams do the same thing. They always knew they could get you, and they preyed on that weakness. We aren’t in that category until we can win a flag. But this side has come through enough adversity to be the next best thing. And I just think the Lions found out the hard way on Friday night.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:09 am 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
No one is talking about kicking efficiency, other than the post reminding us "Bad Kicking is bad football" and of course, a couple who suggest Lions kicking lost them the game.

What most are agreeing with is that the pressure Carlton were able to exert on the Lions after the 19 minute mark of the 2nd was the reason why the Lions capitulated around the ground and in front of goals.

We were stronger together for longer. Simple. We came from 46 points down.

It is only a couple posters who are implying we were lucky to win due to Lions missing easy shots at goal. Call it inefficiency or whatever, but simply speaking, footy speak, letting our eyes be the judge, we started to win the inside battle, tackled more and harder, got under their skin, inside their heads, and they weren't in control of their kicking at goal for it thereafter; our pressure was too much for them to handle.

Boom!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:22 am 
Bruce Doull

Molly wrote:
I live in Brisbane, and see enough of the Lions (both live and on tv) to have formed an opinion of them as too mentally soft to win a flag. My view is they have some front runners who don’t like it when the heat goes on them.

They could be a bit like the Cats of the 90s...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:38 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
Molly wrote:
I live in Brisbane, and see enough of the Lions (both live and on tv) to have formed an opinion of them as too mentally soft to win a flag. My view is they have some front runners who don’t like it when the heat goes on them.

They could be a bit like the Cats of the 90s...

Lions are cats.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:52 am 
Wayne Johnston

We won because we played better than they did, including because we kicked more accurately for goals.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next