Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:43 am 
Geoff Southby

Molly wrote:
Thought I would head in here and read people’s views on the game.

I live in Brisbane, and see enough of the Lions (both live and on tv) to have formed an opinion of them as too mentally soft to win a flag. My view is they have some front runners who don’t like it when the heat goes on them. I’d have Charlie Cameron and Cam Rayner high up in this category. And while Dunkley has added toughness around the ball, they are still not powerful enough in there. Ashcroft is a big loss. While they have some excellent footballers (I love Zac Bailey), I would be surprised to see them win a flag. I just think they are a slight rung below what is required.

All of the above is relevant to the discussion on accuracy. I agree they missed shots and that iallowed us to win. But to think of it as luck…. well, I am a bit different. I am more with CK95. I think in that second half we had got into their heads. And to contrast the teams, we are mentally tough. It’s just that as fans who have been through the last 30 years, we are reluctant to acknowledge it. But we are the side who came back from 16th (or whatever) on the ladder to make the finals. We are the side who beat Melbourne and Collingwood in the H&A last year with significant players missing. We are the side that came back from a putrid first half away versus Gold Coast. We are the side who won a final against Melbourne with one last frantic roll of the dice.

I just think that when the game was there to be won, we were the side which was mentally tougher. I used to watch Hawthorn teams in the 1980s and the Lions three-peat teams do the same thing. They always knew they could get you, and they preyed on that weakness. We aren’t in that category until we can win a flag. But this side has come through enough adversity to be the next best thing. And I just think the Lions found out the hard way on Friday night.

I agree with this post.
Given the last 30 years us supporters are still a little damaged, but the team last year and on the weekend have proven we are building something special and it's mainly above the shoulders. Good teams find ways to win games and the old Carlton would've given up a goal in the last minute and a half.

But WOW, what a win.....I honestly had us pegged for a 5 goal loss pre game, then after the first quarter I thought this could be a 10 goal blow out.
I was asked post season why the obsession with speed and skill, then with Doc getting subbed out, in came Carroll who added exactly that.
Add Williams, Boyd and also Cunningham we were able to spread with speed and beat them at their own game which was brilliant to watch.

It was great to see Harry having an impact on the game, I think the hybrid role of ruck and FF is good for him, it gets him out of his own head.
Curnow was brilliant as was Crippa and Hewett.
It was good to see both Hollands and Acres trying to kick the ball a little more flatter, even though they didn't succeed (especially that kick from Acres in the F50).
Let's hope they get it right over the season to help the forwards out a little more.

The biggest concern is Doc being injured. Having him rotate on the wing has been a must, not sure who they are going to put in there now as Binns looked a little out of his depth in the praccy games and we can't rely on Hollands solely, especially if he has as little offensive impact as he did on the weekend.
Either way, it'll be interesting to see how we match up against the Tigers and what players get moved around to accommodate the loss.

Oh and how good is Voss, so glad we got him.

What a great game.
Go the Blues!

Last edited by Sidefx on Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:44 am 
Geoff Southby

GWS wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Molly wrote:
I live in Brisbane, and see enough of the Lions (both live and on tv) to have formed an opinion of them as too mentally soft to win a flag. My view is they have some front runners who don’t like it when the heat goes on them.

They could be a bit like the Cats of the 90s...

Lions are cats.

And cats are pussies.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:32 am 
Harry Vallence

Molly wrote:
Thought I would head in here and read people’s views on the game.

I live in Brisbane, and see enough of the Lions (both live and on tv) to have formed an opinion of them as too mentally soft to win a flag. My view is they have some front runners who don’t like it when the heat goes on them. I’d have Charlie Cameron and Cam Rayner high up in this category. And while Dunkley has added toughness around the ball, they are still not powerful enough in there. Ashcroft is a big loss. While they have some excellent footballers (I love Zac Bailey), I would be surprised to see them win a flag. I just think they are a slight rung below what is required.

All of the above is relevant to the discussion on accuracy. I agree they missed shots and that iallowed us to win. But to think of it as luck…. well, I am a bit different. I am more with CK95. I think in that second half we had got into their heads. And to contrast the teams, we are mentally tough. It’s just that as fans who have been through the last 30 years, we are reluctant to acknowledge it. But we are the side who came back from 16th (or whatever) on the ladder to make the finals. We are the side who beat Melbourne and Collingwood in the H&A last year with significant players missing. We are the side that came back from a putrid first half away versus Gold Coast. We are the side who won a final against Melbourne with one last frantic roll of the dice.

I just think that when the game was there to be won, we were the side which was mentally tougher. I used to watch Hawthorn teams in the 1980s and the Lions three-peat teams do the same thing. They always knew they could get you, and they preyed on that weakness. We aren’t in that category until we can win a flag. But this side has come through enough adversity to be the next best thing. And I just think the Lions found out the hard way on Friday night.

Hipwood is a liability and they should trade him while he has any currency.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:29 pm 
Ken Hands

Sidefx wrote:
GWS wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Molly wrote:
I live in Brisbane, and see enough of the Lions (both live and on tv) to have formed an opinion of them as too mentally soft to win a flag. My view is they have some front runners who don’t like it when the heat goes on them.

They could be a bit like the Cats of the 90s...

Lions are cats.

And cats are pussies.
And dicks @#$%&! pussies.

But sometimes, dicks also @#$%&! assholes.

Sent from my SM-F731B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:14 pm 
Bruce Doull

This escalated fast….!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

:sly:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'll wait til I hear what Rambo Stallone has to say before I offer any comment

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:52 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Well beards obviously…

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:22 am 
Bruce Comben

carntheblues wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
tommi wrote:
HEY…..

is it worth reading the match day thread…?

just wondering who was losing their minds…
saying the weird stuff again….!

you guys are funny….!

kindest regards tommi

I definitely said anyone who thought we had a chance needs their head checked. Whoopsie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

True believers never had any doubts. :lol:

Who are you, Ben Duckett? At 46 points down, I had doubts, Jerry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:05 pm 
Bruce Comben

bondiblue wrote:
Hats off to our defence, team defence, not only for withstanding the first quarter onslaught, but to stop them from scoring much more than they did during the onslaught.

Do you remember towards the end of the first quarter and Charlie took a mark in defence? Well that was another part of play to keep the Lions at arms length and not allow them to score, and getting no reward for all that energy exerted.

Rope a Dope.

We withstood their onslaught and didnt allow them to bury us with the knock out punch.

Credit to OUR selfless team defence.

That last minute - would've folded in seasons past, but that minute, right there? Effin' sublime defence.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:03 pm 
Ken Hunter

I love bondi's positive energy way more than those who would piss on our chips, but I will say that I'm hoping for a rope shorter than 46 feet tonight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10