Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:16 am 
Bruce Doull

Hope McGovern's OK. Big crunch to the ribs.

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:16 am 
Rod McGregor

I thought we were done at quarter time. I felt that we would mount a come back but fall short by a couple goals. But they pulled out the victory. So glad! Really happy to start the season with a win.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:18 am 
Robert Walls

Lowey_47 wrote:
Apparently 300 blues brothers from Townsville.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I loved the Blues Brothers in the crowd. Were they wearing official CFC ‘suits’?

I noticed on the boundary in the last minute one of the signs that was put up was your hand single in your avatar Lowey. Anyone know what it means?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:20 am 
Robert Walls

CK95 wrote:
Hope McGovern's OK. Big crunch to the ribs.

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

Wasn’t that Cameron giving him a love tap?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:51 am 
Ken Hunter

Yeah. Real cheap shot. Didn't even get a free.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:03 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

tommi wrote:
HEY…..

is it worth reading the match day thread…?

just wondering who was losing their minds…
saying the weird stuff again….!

you guys are funny….!

kindest regards tommi

i was losing my shit tommi. i was about to commit harikiri with a desert spoon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:05 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Juanita Jones wrote:
Lowey_47 wrote:

I loved the Blues Brothers in the crowd. Were they wearing official CFC ‘suits’?

I noticed on the boundary in the last minute one of the signs that was put up was your hand single in your avatar Lowey. Anyone know what it means?

a lions sign ... it must mean go for broke, everyone forward? bcos their whole 18 were forward of the centreline.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:22 am 
Robert Walls

Braithy wrote:
Juanita Jones wrote:
Lowey_47 wrote:

a lions sign ... it must mean go for broke, everyone forward? bcos their whole 18 were forward of the centreline.

It was a Carlton official putting the sign up

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:53 am 
Wayne Johnston

jezzarules wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:
GMCbris wrote:
Side note

To the carlton supporting lady who travelled on the number 61 bus with me, you partner was wearing an essondon* jumper...

Make better choices

:lol:

Also a massive shout out to the Blues brothers bay. That looked so good on TV. Would have taken quite a bit of organising so well done to whoever did it. :thumbsup:

https://www.holsh.com.au/blues-brothers

That’s epic. Wouldn’t mind seeing this become a thing at all games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:54 am 
Wayne Johnston

tommi wrote:
HEY…..

you guys are funny….!

kindest regards tommi

I definitely said anyone who thought we had a chance needs their head checked. Whoopsie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:59 am 
Rod Ashman

jake_h03 wrote:
tommi wrote:
HEY…..

you guys are funny….!

kindest regards tommi

I definitely said anyone who thought we had a chance needs their head checked. Whoopsie

True believers never had any doubts. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:10 am 
Ken Hunter

tommi wrote:
HEY…..

you guys are funny….!

kindest regards tommi
I was!

I might go have another read for lols

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:12 am 
Bert Deacon

For me, Best On Ground last night was Michael Voss.
Calm. Focussed. Intent. Determined. Confident.
In Vossy we trust.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:36 am 
Bruce Doull

You guys….

I’ll tell yas what i did…early in the second
i switched to Pommies call on YouTube…
just his call no footage…!

couldn’t deal with it…!

but after about three minutes i gave myself
a small biff to the side of the head…!

back to the game i went…!

i call it my minor protest…rather pathetic
really….!

we’re weirdos…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:41 am 
Bob Chitty

Phenomenal win given all the surrounding circumstances - the opponent, the venue, our outs and the margin halfway through the second
One of the best few home and away wins in a long while
Thought the backline actually held up ok given they were under siege for a lot of the first half
Charlie’s 10 minutes in the third turned the game upside down but it was his mate Harry who was excellent again and great to stick it up the media with that late drop punt
Cripps, Hewett and Acres very good through the middle plus very nice cameo from Carroll
Williams really good coming off little to no match preparation
You can’t win the flag or make top 4 in the first 6 games but you can lose it and a result like this goes a way to hopefully setting up a strong year

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:58 am 
Harry Vallence

Anything been said about the Lachie Neale potential eye gouge?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:30 am 
Ken Hunter

As if knives would ever be out for Golden Boy. Nah, it's that nasty George Hewett who needs to be worried.

While I'm on a media whinge, I'm not impressed that Coleman's injury is the top headline on the AFL website while our historic comeback is down in the "other news" section. Maybe it's like this for all clubs, I dunno, but why would the competition's mouthpiece be so keen to highlight the danger and tragedy of the sport and not its incredible highs?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:49 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jake_h03 wrote:
jezzarules wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:
GMCbris wrote:
Side note

To the carlton supporting lady who travelled on the number 61 bus with me, you partner was wearing an essondon* jumper...

Make better choices

Also a massive shout out to the Blues brothers bay. That looked so good on TV. Would have taken quite a bit of organising so well done to whoever did it. :thumbsup:

https://www.holsh.com.au/blues-brothers

That’s epic. Wouldn’t mind seeing this become a thing at all games

Outstanding work.. Packed stand and looked brilliant
They were the 'icing on the cake'

Congrats to all involved....

Although, half way through the 2nd they would have been thinking 'what havewe done, where can I hide? '
.... and by the end... LEGENDS!

(I nearly had a stroke at home,.... Probably would have if I had been in the crowd :thumbsup:)

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:58 pm 
Garry Crane

great lucky win, lions in inaccuracies helped but happy for carrol and williams, BUT what have our coaches learned from the past nothing ,team plan still the same ,what has changed from last year ,i was hoping to see something different but same same . 1 point win hides everything

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:
tommi wrote:
HEY…..

you guys are funny….!

kindest regards tommi

You were referring to me jake. I'm use to it. Its not just Blue coloured glasses. There's substance there. Too many venture out from the Nervous Nellie room.

I don't gamble, but I do place lots Carlton bets with friends and last night every Fitzroy and Brizzy mates I know, for a bit of fun and connection, and when I am offered a bet for Carlton to lose within 21 points on the tote, when I think we will win, I'll take it. I usually win more bets against Carlton fans, and love taking their money and their slabs.

I won every bet on last night's game. A bit of luck, yeah, but a bit more than that.

I'm not encouraging gambling, but bragging rights were aplomb all night to the wee hours of the morning, and this morning my email and mobile are full of messages of congratulations and surprise and middle fingers hahaha and I could not face the prospect of reading any match day threads post game till just then.

The pre game threads were understandable, but to give us zero chance tells me some don't yet believe in our DNA or see possibility with Vossy in charge.

I believe 2022 was the beginning of our Golden era, and I really thought 23 was the year our 17th was going to be, because we could beat the Pies in a GF. We missed by less than 3 goals away from the G.

As mentioned in match thread, I had a hunch we would win by 5 points, based on a few reasons:

1. our DNA and the wins we had last year against top 4 teams with our best mids missing (vs Melb, Pies, StK: Cerra Walsh Kennedy Harry Gov and Williams)
2. saw the praccy games for what they were: 3/4 pace and non bruise footy. Kids being given a run. Players rested or out injured.
3. Sydney's win vs Dees on a humid slippery night, may well be repeated vs Brizzy in worse humidity and at night, taking away their height advantage and making the game a wrestle
4. surely we showed what we can do in Prelim, and learn from it
5. picked a mobile team to suit the conditions...and due to personnel not available through injury or underdone.

I admit I thought we gave them too much of a head start when we were doen by 46 points at the 19 min mark of 2nd, but I kept feeling the lions threw their best shot at us and would have to tire; call it Rope a Dope, and we would adjust, and posted as such when I had a minute at the end of each quarter.

I've read the match thread and this post match thread just before, and I must admit I saw the game a lot different to most others, and FYI, the best explanation I have found for the win and change in momentum is not on any footy threads but best explained in the post game interview between Buckley and Harry, when Harry smirked and responded to Buckley with "you should be a coach" following Buckley's summation was that we adjusted our game plan. I listened to it over and over and jotted down notes.

Some might call that a Plan B, but it really was a minor adjustment: the personnel on the field except the sub were the same in the 2nd half as they were in the first half. You have to remember that. We didnt just flick a switch, but I think Crippa did.

Buckley said
Quote:

...Brisbane’s first 40 minutes was as good a footy as you’ll see any team play.

...What we did see from Carlton was what we saw from the second half of last year – and that’s real fight and endeavour. They don’t give up,

...They changed the way they moved the ball, which created more contest opportunities, which is what brought the game towards them.

...They tried to go really fast off turnover in the first quarter and I think it actually exposed them.

...They basically emptied out the back half because the defenders were trying to run and carry. But then on turnover (after quarter-time), they set the ground up and were prepared to go long to contest.

...Carlton definitely played a more structured game after quarter-time. Brisbane are good at that too, but Carlton were just able to outlast them

Despite Oscar's huge advantage over the shorter, lighter but tenacious and energetic TDK, we didn't have a problem getting our hands on the ball, but the Lions just sat off us, tackled hard and took it away on the spread, or, when we kept the ball in our hands we just bombed it forward to gain territory to the waiting Lions, like we did pre renaissance in 2023 and praccy games.

We adjusted from a territory game where we were kicking it blindly forward (as we did especially in the Melb praccy game) and started to link up and carry then kick to a contest. The game changed and we played on our terms.

Not sure if anyone noticed, our old bad habit of coralling was back in the first 40 minutes and just letting Lions spot targets and kick forward. Really half hearted efforts by some senior players. Then all of the sudden Crippa took the game on. He won contested ball in a manic way, not seen like this before, and did some crazy Barrassi style handballs and short kicks to team mates, playing on at all costs and this spread like a disease from the 19 minute mark of the second. Not sure if that was a Vossy direction or Crippa's leadership. We were on and momentum carried us though. Charlie went crazy there too. Would not let himself be dominated anymore and threw himself at everything and the results came when the ball hit the ground.

Another thing which did not go unnoticed is the backline stood up against the barrage from Lions forward entries. We could have been 46 points down in the first Qtr. IMO, our defence stood up and defended. But, as usual, someone had to cop the vitriol of some supporters (if that's what they are) and find a whipping boy.

I'd like to remind everyone Kemp and Young had 13 interceptions. Reading media reports today, our best named were:

In the AFL match report
Quote:
Carlton: Curnow, Cripps, McKay, Hewett, Young, Saad, Cerra

In the Herald Sun Report
Quote:
Carlton: Curnow Cripps Hewett McKay Young Saad

Shame on those who wrote off and slagged off a young KP who turns 24yo this year. Every player on our list has a role. KPD's don't grow on trees as some think. The list is the list. There's no guarantees we will find better in SAFL VFL or WAFL in MSD; there's punts, but no guarantees. Some players take longer to develop. So happy for London Blue's boy Matty Carroll too. What a quarter of footy from the kid.

Write off Carlton players at your peril. Like last year and every year for the foreseeable future good players will be let go at the end of every season because of AFL rules, and there are no crap players on our list, but there are developing players, players ample to our needs, or players who scarifice their body for our club and are injured. This is a great squad.

Despite missing our 2 KPB's Weitering & Marchbank, our best mid, Walsh, our new recruit HF-Mid Hollands (who would be a shoe in), our best HF, Martin, and our best small forward in Motlop, let alone our best utility SOS, we beat a team who lost last year's premiership by 1 point ( possibly due to umpire cheating), a team who has not lost a home game last year and 14 in a row, and a team who has shown the best preseason form in the AFL.

We are not going to win every game, but you have to believe now. And please stop slagging off any player on our list.

Go Blues, and how were those Blues Brothers from Townsville last might. We should donate to a Blues Brothers statue in Townsville, then roll em out to every major city across the country to celebrate our next Golden Era.

Baggers are back.

Stronger
Together
Longer

We can only get better from here....just beat Tigers and the the bye...and the troops come back.

I feeeeeels good.......da dada dada.....I knew that I would.

Lets stick together baggers. Stick it right up em. :fight:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next