Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:12 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

{engage keogh mode} we are coming
last
and everyone exxept
crips
is shit

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:12 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Kicking for goal aside, Harry is looking really good

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

Five games….

after 5 games we can have a whinge if er need
to…till then…don’t waste your energy folk….!

lets see how they go…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

tommi wrote:
Five games….

after 5 games we can have a whinge if er need
to…till then…don’t waste your energy folk….!

lets see how they go…!

kindest regards tommi

but i wanna whinge now, Tommi!!!!

now, i tells ya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:29 pm 
Robert Walls

Fantasia looked to have injured himself at the end

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

jim wrote:
Traveller86 wrote:
Unfortunately we won't know until Friday week if this is our lot.

I remember winning the wizard cup and looking like premiership favourites, then winning 4 games for the year.

I remember last year too but doesn't mean it's going to repeat the same way.

Footy isn't linear.

i remember getting pumped in practices matches in the 70's and early 80s, the winning the first game easily and going on to win the flag.

Parko stated that he thought he might get sacked before the start of the season in '81 they were so bad in the practice games. Bruce Doull told him not to worry; "we're always like this in pre-season games".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:39 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

TDK and Harry combo good again.
Like the limited look of Wilson. Fantasia looked very creative but grabbed his hammy after stretching for a ball in the last but stayed on. I don't understand why you'd play a player with a history of soft tissue injuries for 4 quarters in a practice game :?
Especially when you gave plenty on the bench. He was on the pickle juice early in the last so he was obviously struggling. Perplexing player management by Jack Russell. I think he'll be great value if we can manage him properly.

Charlie presented well against good opposition. Young struggled but that's not surprising. Kemp poor early but credit to him, he was much better after half time. I'd rather see Durdin come in than rely on Young.
Our contested stuff was OK but Melbourne were far more slick with their ball movement. Their running handball game was elite. They hit handball targets under pressure, wide handballs to set up team mates and the running backs tore us apart through the middle.
Cerra quietish by his standards. I don't understand the Ollie Hollands midfield role. He isn't strong enough and is worried out of the contest. I'd rather see Elijah or Acres get an opportunity in the midfield rotation and leave Ollie on the outside. Cunners had his moments but not enough of them.
Lot's to work on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

cortez wrote:
jim wrote:
Traveller86 wrote:
Unfortunately we won't know until Friday week if this is our lot.

I remember winning the wizard cup and looking like premiership favourites, then winning 4 games for the year.

I remember last year too but doesn't mean it's going to repeat the same way.

Footy isn't linear.

i remember getting pumped in practices matches in the 70's and early 80s, the winning the first game easily and going on to win the flag.

Parko stated that he thought he might get sacked before the start of the season in '81 they were so bad in the practice games. Bruce Doull told him not to worry; "we're always like this in pre-season games".

Doull, Johnston, Harmes, Buckley, Sheldon, Fitzpatrick, Maclure, Hunter, Bosustow etc etc - you could be like that in practice games and for the first half of most of the games we played that season.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:03 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Quote:

So your thoughts on Pittonet, Young and Kemp?

I think we're going to be victims of our own lack of development in the key back posts. We're weiters or bust.

And Pitto has done nothing to show why on earth we game him a 4 year deal.

Game and a half of preseason suggests we're a long way off being ready for the season that starts next week. I hope we can flick the switch and suddenly play competent football but there hasn't been a lot this far to suggest that is going to happen.

Maybe it will. I hope it does. But right now I don't think we'll beat either Brisbane or Richmond. Sorry if I offended your self righteousness

Pittonet not good enough to beat Gawn, not many are.
Young isn't up to standard
Kemp will be ok in time, will be a borderline selection.

Does this mean we will be rubbish against the tigers? Not at all, We won't beat the lions. I expect us to beat Richmond though. If we don't it's not the end of the world.

To say we won't win a game early is a massive overreaction.

i would like to see us take the game on like we did at some stages last year, particulary the St Kilda game.

Early = first 2 games. Based on our preseason, I don't think we'll win either. Richmond aren't good, but poor form is poor form. It's not the result, it's the style of play. My opinion. I hope I'm wrong.

Midfield was insipid apart from Crippa. The skills were very sloppy. 20+ F50 marks for the Dees suggests 1. A disorganised Backline. And 2. A distinct lack of pressure upfield.

Forward delivery, well... enough said about it really.

Young is a big concern. He looks lost far too often. Kemp is being asked to play a role that he shouldn't. I actually really liked Harry as back up ruck with TDK as number 1. Thought Harry was best on for us despite his goal kicking shit show, and a lot of that was to do with his work around the ground as ruck. I don't think Pitto has a place in the side barring injury.

Not a good preseason for us. It doesn't mean much, but we've shown nothing. At least the media love fest will stop now. We'll be well and truly written off

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

There has been a lot of back slapping and talking themselves up in the off season.
We have a history of under performing when expectations are high.
Tonight could have been a kick in the pants they needed.
Talk this morning of Dee's sacking the coach they were always going to play with intent.

A week to look in the mirror and come out and play like we know they are capable of.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:27 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

How is it a bad pre season? Injuries aside we simply won't know for about another 7 weeks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:07 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Harry and Saad best again.
Charlie much better.
Boyd and Acres were good.
Oli looks like he's improved.
Liked the snippet I saw of Wilson. He's probably not physically ready yet, but we desperately need his type in the side with Walsh out.

Cons:

Got smashed out of the centre again.
Struggled again with moving the ball, or stopping the opposition doing so.
Pressure poor. Skills even worse. So many handballs hitting the ground and getting turned over. Meant to be one of the games easiest skills. Forward entries were poor again.
Cannot stop the opposition marking the ball inside their attacking 50. I know Weiters is out, but you'd think that Young, Kemp and McGovern might take some interest in actually defending. Although he had a better 2nd half, Kemp's ability to defend his opponent in a marking contest is diabolically bad.
16 scores last week, 13 this week is a real worry. Don't seem to be able to score unless Harry or Charlie gets it. Even then it's no guarantee, with Harry's goal kicking.
Rucks got pantsed. Pittonet particularly bad.
Cuningham invisible in midfield again.
I can only assume that Fogarty is playing because all our other small forwards are injured. He's good with pressure, when we can lock it inside 50. But otherwise he's a liability.
Our key position players at both ends of the ground get consistently outbodied.

I think we need to move Docherty behind the ball. He's no good at the centre bounces. And the only time we seemed to move the ball out of defence was when he drifted back.
I'm sure we'll get better at some point. But on current form, hard to see us getting within 10 goals of Brisbane up there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

I thought Melbourne played really well. Gawn killed us. Maybe their absolute shitshow of a preseason motivated them to take it a bit more seriously than we did.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:47 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Stefchook wrote:
Pros:

Charlie much better.
Liked the snippet I saw of Wilson. He's probably not physically ready yet, but we desperately need his type in the side with Walsh out.

Cons:

Pressure poor. Skills even worse. So many handballs hitting the ground and getting turned over. Meant to be one of the games easiest skills. Forward entries were poor again.
Cannot stop the opposition marking the ball inside their attacking 50. I know Weiters is out, but you'd think that Young, Kemp and McGovern might take some interest in actually defending. Although he had a better 2nd half, Kemp's ability to defend his opponent in a marking contest is diabolically bad.
16 scores last week, 13 this week is a real worry. Don't seem to be able to score unless Harry or Charlie gets it. Even then it's no guarantee, with Harry's goal kicking.
I can only assume that Fogarty is playing because all our other small forwards are injured. He's good with pressure, when we can lock it inside 50. But otherwise he's a liability.

I think we need to move Docherty behind the ball. He's no good at the centre bounces. And the only time we seemed to move the ball out of defence was when he drifted back.
I'm sure we'll get better at some point. But on current form, hard to see us getting within 10 goals of Brisbane up there.

You forgot Cripps. Moving better than he has for a long time

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:56 am 
Bob Chitty

Hard to know what to read into these pre season games but that was underwhelming. Distinct lack of pressure and intensity had us beaten around the footy. Skills below par. Defence extremely shaky without Weitering. Hopefully a result like this is what we need to click into gear because that footy won’t be beating many this year. There’ll be nowhere to hide at the Gabba next week.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:09 am 
Geoff Southby

Heavs wrote:
{engage keogh mode} we are coming
last
and everyone exxept
crips
is shit

A few things
Our clearance work is our one wood
Lose the clearances and we are a middle of the road side
Weitering is a huge loss
So is JOS
The second ruck is a problem
I don’t think McKay has it in him to be a ruck man
I personally don’t like Pittonet and DeKoning in the one team

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:33 am 
Robert Walls

Stefchook wrote:
Pros:

Charlie much better.

Cons:

Fair list….yet, I’d sum up the biggest issue was how we managed the ball between the arcs. Repeated turnovers and not enough pressure on their ball movers.
Backs particularly were under the pump from the get go

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:38 am 
Craig Bradley

kingkerna wrote:
Stefchook wrote:
Pros:

Charlie much better.

Cons:

You forgot Cripps. Moving better than he has for a long time

I agree. He's easily been our best midfielder the last 2 weeks. We obviously miss Walsh, but disappointed not to see a little more from Cerra. Don't think Cuningham or Docherty have helped much at centre clearances. Not winning the ball at contest, and not applying much pressure either. And neither Oli nor Wilson are ready yet. I think the MC would like a more balanced midfield group in terms of pace/run, but we're not getting much contribution from the more nimble types. Maybe we'll have to go back to sticking all our bulls in until Walsh returns.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:44 am 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
I thought Melbourne played really well. Gawn killed us. Maybe their absolute shitshow of a preseason motivated them to take it a bit more seriously than we did.

Yes , the Dee's were " ON " from the first bounce . They played very well . Apart from Cripps we got slaughtered in the guts and hence everyone else was under the pump . Docherty aint a clearance player . He is good in midfield transition though so whack him out on a wing . Harry was good and did a good job in the ruck but i would restrict him to forward half ruck work only . I reckon our biggest problem is our ball handling . Shit we are fumbly . Gotta take the pill first grab . I thought the Dee's capitalised on our spills and made "em look better than they are . I was wrapped to see Binns and Billy Wilson get a run . Thought both acquitted themselves well . A lacklustre preseason for sure but i feel things will improve when the real deal is with us . Just get that ball before you think about what you are going to do with it . First grab .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:53 am 
Wayne Johnston

I don’t mind Harry as second ruck, but for it to really work we need players like JSOS or Martin in the fwd line to help Charlie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next