Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Injury thread 2024
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

After this off season, Clayton Oliver playing round 1. Sam Walsh indefinite.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:41 am 
Rod Ashman

What happened to Carroll?

How do we start a season with 10 injured players?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:05 am 
Ken Hunter

Let's hope we can get the bad injury run over and done with at the very start of the season.

MPH78 wrote:

Well Clayton was never injured...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

missnaut wrote:
Let's hope we can get the bad injury run over and done with at the very start of the season.

MPH78 wrote:

Well Clayton was never injured...

:thumbsup: to both points.

We were looking so good till Weitering's calf.

Hopefully the train as you play paradigm works in our favour in the H & A marathon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

GET Jarred Toe….!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

tommi wrote:
GET Jarred Toe….!

Camel likes this!

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

I really don’t mean to be rude at this time of year, but flower off with your indefinite thing.

It’s a cop out to stop people asking questions. Tell us what is going on with Walsh.

Post subject: Injury thread 2024
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

Voss looked mighty uncomfortable discussing him on 360 last night

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:15 am 
Robert Walls

Jonosc1 wrote:
I really don’t mean to be rude at this time of year, but flower off with your indefinite thing.

It’s a cop out to stop people asking questions. Tell us what is going on with Walsh.

They're not quite ready to hit us with "season" just yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:31 am 
Harry Vallence

Memberships?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:27 am 
Bob Chitty

Simply too many injuries or guys with little to no match preparation leading into the start of the season.
Weitering is probably our most important player and clearly in our top 5 best.
Walsh was poised to be our best this year or at least close.
Martin has always been unreliable with his fitness but we have no one else who can effectively play that mid forward role. He was big for us in the back half of last year. Moir isn’t ready. JSOS is out. Kennedy is potentially next up in that role.
Marchbank would likely be playing if fit especially given injuries.
Motlop ditto.
Great to see Williams back but 65 VFL minutes isn’t the best prep and hope we’re not throwing him to the wolves.
Owies and Durdin no practice matches between them means surely they can’t be relied on to play and perform early.
When you’re going to probably come bottom 4 and you have key injuries (eg hawthorn), it’s ultimately not the biggest deal but it is an issue when we should be aiming for top 4.
Need to find a way to 1-1 after 2 matches and then hopefully see a few guys return post bye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:36 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

david31 wrote:
Simply too many injuries or guys with little to no match preparation leading into the start of the season.
Weitering is probably our most important player and clearly in our top 5 best.
Walsh was poised to be our best this year or at least close.
Martin has always been unreliable with his fitness but we have no one else who can effectively play that mid forward role. He was big for us in the back half of last year. Moir isn’t ready. JSOS is out. Kennedy is potentially next up in that role.
Marchbank would likely be playing if fit especially given injuries.
Motlop ditto.
Great to see Williams back but 65 VFL minutes isn’t the best prep and hope we’re not throwing him to the wolves.
Owies and Durdin no practice matches between them means surely they can’t be relied on to play and perform early.
When you’re going to probably come bottom 4 and you have key injuries (eg hawthorn), it’s ultimately not the biggest deal but it is an issue when we should be aiming for top 4.
Need to find a way to 1-1 after 2 matches and then hopefully see a few guys return post bye

The season is a Marathon. The hope is that they all build and return to fight the fight and finish our unfinished business at the business end of the season.

Lets hope our percentage isn't dinted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
This whole update after round 2 thing with Walsh does not fill me with confidence at all. What have they done to him? It's preseason training FFS.

Dubious about Motlop also. 2 weeks with a jarred toe?

Right on. I'm starting to get a bit shitty too.

I am a glass half full, but the half empty part tells me the club is keeping the truth away from its members to achieve their target of 100,000 Members.

We've stuck phat with the club and broke Membership numbers every year despite being on the bottom of the table for the last couple of decades.

We find out today that Weiterings 6-8 week injury, which gave me so much hope he'd be ready by start of the season,was much mores erious than that:

Quote:
“It could have been the Achilles, but I guess in a positive sense it was the calf tendon. The timeline was always the timeline, that 10-12 week injury and I knew straight away it felt like a pop. Initially I did think it was my Achilles, but scans showed otherwise and I went to work on rehab.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/03/05/carlton-star-jacob-weitering-names-the-game-he-is-targeting-in-his-return/

Sad to say, but we have been fed Blatant lies. Not sure if that' a good thing or a bad thing.

Knock me down with a feather.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:54 am 
Bruce Doull

Weiters went on to say he's aiming to come back for North.

But overall david31's post is a good summary, sadly.

Other clubs are getting hit too though. Dusty no certainty to play against us, & Sean Darcy also at Freo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:02 am 
Harry Vallence

Weiters did NOT sound convincing this morning on SEN that he'll play in round 3.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:25 am 
Craig Bradley

CK95 wrote:
This whole update after round 2 thing with Walsh does not fill me with confidence at all. What have they done to him? It's preseason training FFS.

Dubious about Motlop also. 2 weeks with a jarred toe?

With Walsh, it’s more about what they’re not doing - jabbing him full of numbing agents and Christ knows what.

He’s had to gradually de-load - which is all about salvaging a reasonable base fitness. Now they’re building it back up like a high stakes game of Jenga. They don’t know if he’s [REDACTED] yet, because they haven’t put a game-ready (not ‘full fitness’) load on yet.

We all need to prepare ourselves for a 1-2 weeks timeline after the bye.

As for Motlop, turf toe is a bastard of an ailment. I did one last year (very short de-load period :lol: ) and I still can’t kick the ball around with the dog. If it is just bruising, he’ll harden up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:10 am 
Ken Hunter

I thought JW was always aiming for Rd 3-4?

Jonosc1 wrote:

I agree.

They either don't know or don't want to say neither of which is good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

missnaut wrote:
I thought JW was always aiming for Rd 3-4?

Jonosc1 wrote:

I agree.

They either don't know or don't want to say neither of which is good.

He did the injury Jan 12.
At the time it was stated, for the media, it was a high grade calf sprain, hence a 6-8 weeks.
That at the time implying he could be ready by just before the Melb praccy round or the Brizzy game.
That gave us hope.

Prior to the Geelong praccy game the club decided it would err on the side of caution and give him all he needed for a full recovery and after the bye.

No the aim wasn't always rounds 3-4. 6-8 weeks became 12 weeks.

It is what it is, but the point some posters are making is the club isn't transparent and now we are getting a lot of "indefinite" returns. Any idea what's happened with Marchbank? I hear it was covid weeks ago, now we still have nothing.

Is this a good thing or bad thing?

IMO its good to say nothing to attract more members, but bad because in future I'm going to join the nervous nellie room, and could mean really bad news.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:42 pm 
Robert Walls

Geez Louise - I understand the anxiety, particularly when it relates to key players.

However, maybe the opposite of the story is also true and the club is managing/communicating appropriately.

I’ve had major (multiple surgeries) on both ankles and am very fit. Yet, each step of the way in recovery is one of caution particularly for high performance athletes. And to boot doctors of all shapes and sizes will ways offer the most conservative view.

I trust the club is doing the right thing and yes it’s very frustrating and anxiety creating knowing our best aren’t in the park.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:01 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

london blue wrote:
Geez Louise - I understand the anxiety, particularly when it relates to key players.

However, maybe the opposite of the story is also true and the club is managing/communicating appropriately.

I’ve had major (multiple surgeries) on both ankles and am very fit. Yet, each step of the way in recovery is one of caution particularly for high performance athletes. And to boot doctors of all shapes and sizes will ways offer the most conservative view.

I trust the club is doing the right thing and yes it’s very frustrating and anxiety creating knowing our best aren’t in the park.

I agree but I also understand the frustration of supporters. The club said he had a calf strain. The reality is he actually damaged the tendon.
It's not exactly transparent communication. There's no need for secrecy. It's not like the opposition are going to go out and target his tendon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next