Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:30 am 
Ken Hunter

Disappointed with yesterdays result but like others sort of relieved as I think we would have struggled next week.
We went into the game with some banged up players and got more injuries during the match.
What a season that was, we rode the highs and lows as supporters and I am proud the way we turned our season around.
It will be interesting to found out what injuries some of our players were carrying.
Well done to the supporters who travelled up the Gabba, the atmosphere was wonderful and I am sure the players appreciated the support.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:45 am 
Ken Hunter

Just want to say that the Welcome to Country before the game was wonderful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:52 am 
Geoff Southby

bluechampion wrote:
The minute Braithy was happy with our selections I knew we were [REDACTED].

come on ... boyd was one of if not our best?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:07 am 
Stephen Silvagni

It's odd, I don't like playing injured players but the quality of those injured meant we had to.

We have genuine depth now, keep the faith.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:12 am 
Geoff Southby

kingkerna wrote:
It's odd, I don't like playing injured players but the quality of those injured meant we had to.

We have genuine depth now, keep the faith.

a bit of that depth will leave this offseason.

i'd say we need to turnover 6-7 players. add pace and polish and a craft crumbing forward and we'll be good to go.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:18 am 
Serge Silvagni

Our structure changed when Jack Silvagni got injured.

We struggled in every game since.

Is he the missing 'X' factor?

I believe we'd be celebrating a flag a week from now if he had been able to play yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:20 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Have woken up flatter today than I was last night. Missed opportunity I guess.

Will have plenty of time to reflect but still so proud of what we ended up achieving this year.

One of the main things we need to improve is our delivery in to F50 and our forward craft. Simply have to get more out of our talent there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:23 am 
Geoff Southby

Ghost of PrincesPark wrote:
Our structure changed when Jack Silvagni got injured.

We struggled in every game since.

Is he the missing 'X' factor?

I believe we'd be celebrating a flag a week from now if he had been able to play yesterday.

if tdk could be a more dominant ruck, we'd be set. Jack, harry and charlie with martin and 2 smalls (i'd be chasing premier small this offseason)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:24 am 
Geoff Southby

jeez the gabba is a dire, dire place ... the goal music and scoreboard graphics do my head in.

i feel like i'm at a wiggles concert, more than a footy game.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:31 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Flat, but proud.

That goal they got just before quarter time was huge, and like agro said we either needed to put on 7 or 8 with the amount of dominance we had, or just absorb that lead for longer and make them use more petrol tickets in hauling it back.

Was always a long shot with where we were coming from. Practically playing Elimination Finals since Rnd 15. Never really were able to get any cohesion on who our best 22-24 were.

Realistically need to finish Top 2 to win it. We are off the top of my head now 0-8 from interstate finals.
We’ll be better for this. Brisbane have now gone 5 finals series straight before getting their first chance in the big one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:46 am 
Wayne Johnston

I agree with comments on the quality of our forward 50 entires killed us.

But I also think Harry and Charlie need to learn to compete. I said this is another thread…

I think the problem is that Curnow and Mackay don’t compete strongly enough, which means our small forwards do t have a chance to get into the game. Opposition defenders too easily dominate Mackay and Curnow, control the ball and sweep it away too easily.

Hopefully this is just a maturity thing for Mackay and Curnow. It took Daniher and Riewoldt a long time to learn this and become more team oriented.

This is also why we miss JSOS, he competes all the time, if Mackay and Curnow could play the same way we would go to another level.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:49 am 
Geoff Southby

i have to think charlie is carrying an injury. through the finals he barely competed and barely moved. when he did run he looked slow. i noticed in the gws rnd 24 game he stayed down for a while clutching his ankle ... maybe he lost mobility from that?

the afl season is too damned long and too much for the players. it's becoming a battle of attrition more than a battle of skill and talent, imo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:07 am 
Ken Hunter

Braithy wrote:
jeez the gabba is a dire, dire place ... the goal music and scoreboard graphics do my head in.

i feel like i'm at a wiggles concert, more than a footy game.

Which reminds me, do we really need to pay what is paid for GF entertainment?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:08 am 
Geoff Southby

I was at the ground and the atmosphere was great - it almost felt like a home game. I know the Blues have a good supporter base in Queensland, but there were a lot who travelled. There might have been slightly more Brisbane fans at the ground (just), but the Blues fans seemed louder. Well done, my Carlton comrades! :thumbsup:

We couldn’t have played much better in the first quarter, but 23 points was not enough reward for the effort. Brisbane were always going to come back - they have been through too much over the past couple of years and been too good this season to just roll over. Although it was disappointing to surrender the lead in the 2nd term, I think we lost the game in the 3rd quarter. It was the premiership quarter and Brisbane were too good. Simple as that.

Yes it was pleasing that we fought the game out, and we could have got even closer if we’d nailed more opportunities in the final term, but the reality is that Brisbane missed plenty of chances themselves and could have won by more.

Coming off the ground, some of the players - especially Saad & Boyd - looked genuinely upset.

Speaking of Boyd, I thought he easily justified his selection. He could be a serious player for us next year if he avoids injury.

I would much rather be in the GF than not, but I can’t disagree with those saying that beating Collingwood next week would have been a bridge too far for our tired & sore players. Frankly, I think Brisbane is better placed than us to keep Collingwood away from #16…

GO LIONS! :fight:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:18 am 
Robert Walls

We were the slightly better side on the night. THERE, I SAID IT

We both won two quarters each but we torched so many opportunities in the second and third than they did in the first and last qtr

I'm heartbroken because ultimately, we came within 3 kicks of playing in a GF

Banged up...to a point, but so many didn't pick up the slack

I have NFI where our crumbers were when Bris had three defenders crowding Charlie or Harry

Martin was playing like a KPF rather than a small fwd

The game was MORE THAN winnable...it was ours for the taking...should have been 7 goals up at qtr time; they hardly got a look in

We became so obsessed about making it a contest (which we were losing anyway), that Bris had plenty of time to crowd out our forward line

Anyway, that's my vent

Onwards and upwards in 2024

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:19 am 
Robert Walls

Ghost of PrincesPark wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:
Fuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk... reality setting in now. We had a genuine chance to win #17. Jumped them. Up by 5 and we shit the bed. @#$%&! @#$%&! @#$%&! @#$%&!

This.

Charlie Curnow needs to work harder. Three finals this year and the last 2 games of 2022. Being a Coleman medalist is nice, being a premiership player is what makes you

NOPE.
Not even remotely correct.

See this "We Kill Charlie the way we used to kill Kernahan" at bottom of previous page.

PLUS - if your full forward kicks more goals than anyone else in the competition how is it is HIS fault not winning a premiership? He takes more inside 50 marks, more contested marks than Anyone else.

What has he gotta do? Kick 100 goals? 120?

At the risk of 'ad nauseum' - our forward delivery sucks in general and more players need to present as targets in space like the main three Lions did in abundance today.

That's why They won and We lost

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:32 am 
Bruce Doull

bluedog wrote:

I'd pay a million if they came out & played their mega sleazy stuff from Dressed To Kill :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:35 am 
Bruce Doull

Feeling a bit more empty than I was last night. It's sunk in that it's all over.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:37 am 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:
bluedog wrote:

I'd pay a million if they came out & played their mega sleazy stuff from Dressed To Kill :lol:

:grin:

And dedicate 'Rock Bottom' to West Coast?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:37 am 
Geoff Southby

99prelim wrote:
We were the slightly better side on the night.

I respectfully disagree. And so do the stats.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next