Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:00 pm 
Robert Walls

The minute Braithy was happy with our selections I knew we were [REDACTED].

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:04 pm 
John James

Humpers wrote:
I was at the game and Marchbank was our best IMO.

Getable dude Cal Twomey listed Marchie as one of 30 odd AFL listed players seeking a trade (on the first Trade Radio episode). anybody heard anything?

he’s one of my faves and wears my number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Fuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk... reality setting in now. We had a genuine chance to win #17. Jumped them. Up by 5 and we shit the bed. @#$%&! @#$%&! @#$%&! @#$%&!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:39 pm 
Ken Hunter

Disappointing end to what turned out to be a really good season.
We were pretty banged up but never stopped trying.
I will barracking my hardest for the Lions next week.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:40 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

That's disrespecting the opposition, Brisbane were asleep at the start due to the week off.
They are very good and just out muscled us.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:50 pm 
Harry Vallence

Disappointed, really disappointed, but what a ride the last 2 weeks in particular have been for us and our long suffering kids. Immense unbridled joy not to be forgotten
The contrast between our and brisbanes forward entries tonight was huge. Would have loved to see Charlie in particular having the same space and kicks to him on the lead in space that the Brisbane tall forwards had caused by quick rebound entries from turnovers. Expecting Charlie and Harry to take big pack marks from long bombs is a low percentage play.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Their halfbacks absolutely killed us.

Proud of the year and proud they kept fighting.

@#$%&! people drink a lot at the Gabba. I mean, I love a beer, but there were multiple people around me who were putting away 4 a quarter.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:57 pm 
Harry Vallence

A little bitter I must admit. Brisbane shit me for some reason. After the siren I even said to myself I hope Collingwood flog them next week. I mean Charlie Cameron, Dufus Daniher and Nasty piece of work Zorko are particularly unlikeable.
Then I punched myself in the head, got reoriented, and thought what the @#$%&! are you thinking. Now back on track. Go Lions. Nuh can’t say it just yet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:00 pm 
Harry Vallence

Heavs wrote:
Their halfbacks absolutely killed us.

Proud of the year and proud they kept fighting.

@#$%&! people drink a lot at the Gabba. I mean, I love a beer, but there were multiple people around me who were putting away 4 a quarter.

Describe the feel at the ground for us Heavs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

The Hollands kid is going to be a beauty.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:03 pm 
Serge Silvagni

I Cannot agree on Marchbank.

At the ground I was screaming every time the lions ran it down toward their half forward flank and Marchbank was 30 metres behind his opponent, just ambling after them.

He has no speed. Zip. They ran off him like he wasn't there.

Maybe I'll watch the replay and agree on the contested pack stuff and maybe what I saw live won't be so apparent coz of the lack of camera pan but out one-on-one he cost us dearly at crucial moments.

We lost because we failed to address the Fundamental Football Principle of "Manning Up" when not in possession.

There was no gut running like there was in the first quarter.
I almost lost my voice in anger over it after 1/4 time.

Banged up and no legs left after a hard campaign? Maybe and gotta feel for the boys.

But that first quarter we utterly Owned the game, Lions without even a single shot at goal until 3 minutes to go.

Like I said, I'll watch the replay, but from sitting at the ground and watching Marchbank so effing slow behind opponents easily gathering and charging forward made me utterly apoplectic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:03 pm 
Wayne Johnston

We were banged up. They were fresh, had the luxury of training up for the finals and home ground.
We are a very good team just ballsed up the middle of the season and had to scrap into the finals with no conditioning at all. Amazing we beat the Swans and the Dees.
Aim next year is to have top 4 sewn up early so we can prepare for finals. Team will be coming the though. The Lions, Dees, GWS and others on the rise are going to make things not so easy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:04 pm 
Harry Vallence

kingkerna wrote:
That's disrespecting the opposition, Brisbane were asleep at the start due to the week off.

Took the words out of my mouth. They're too good. No shame losing to the better side.

Immensely proud of the team. I've no regrets flying up to see that.

There'll be time for reflection and what we need to do to get better (Charlie needs to stand up in finals to be a real superstar for example).

It's been a great ride. Bring on 2024.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:28 pm 
Craig Bradley

kingkerna wrote:

More a case of nerves. They couldn't afford another PF failure. When a side is fatigued, physically and mentally, and banged up it wasn't that hard to outmuscle them. We got the wrong side of the finals draw unfortunately. Would have been alot easier finishing 6th and going the way GWS did. We'd be playing next week. If we got within 16pts of the Lions at the Gabba banged up we'd have beaten the Pies, who were waiting to be beaten but the opposition didn't take advantage. In the context of a final GWS virtually got a bruise free game against Port. Meanwhile we got the two crash and bash sides. Couldn't have got 2 more difficult sides to play those finals against.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Proud of where we’ve come from disappointed with the result of course.

Can’t help feeling we spent all our petrol tickets in the first quarter - had we finished with 7 or 8 goals in the first might have been a better reward for all that effort and might have been enough for us to hang on for a win.

Lots of things to think about - a bit too raw right now.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:32 pm 
Rod Ashman

sammywaslow wrote:
Lowey_47 wrote:
I know an easy target but pittonet was putrid after quarter time.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Another Brisbane game, another mauling by McInerney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coaches and rucks lost it in the second and third
standing next to a tree all he did was out reach them and thump it away from the contest into space for their speed to carry and run off.
game over, sometimes you wonder wtf coaches are paid for

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

After many years in the wilderness thanks for the ride Blues. It's been an awesome couple of months.

Some of us older supporters have lived through the glory years and this finals series has given the new generation a taste of what lies ahead.

When it happens ..... there's nothing like it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:37 pm 
Robert Walls

I think besides being physically tired and banged up,
The players and coaches had already probably passed their mental barrier and couldn't keep going back to the well.

Cripps, Doc, Martin, Cerra... Just weren't firing on all cylinders after 1/4 time.

Mentally we were just bombing the kicks, it was all too hard. It was a big contrast to their movement - they were always zipping into space and presenting well for the kicker.

Winning from outside top 4 is bloody difficult.
Dogs were impressive to do it a few years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:53 pm 
Harry Vallence

Not sure about some views on us being "banged up".

FACT: our boys were 15th on the ladder

FACT: after a transformation of form never ever seen in AFL history, our boys just turned a pile of poo season (again) into a mountain, landscape of "dare to dream" results.

FACT: Brisbane, finished 2nd on the ladder, and were undefeated at the GABBA the WHOLE season.

FACT: Carlton played 3 finals at extreme , intense pressure, they came up trumps in two of them and gave Brisbane a shake.

Lets pause and reflect on all of that and know that 2024 = we will finish top 4 (minimum) and .........

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:56 pm 
Serge Silvagni

We Kill Charlie the way we used to kill Kernahan.

We used to bomb it in over Sticks' head and Force him to take contested marks as our key forward line of attack.
As a result he had the great stat of having the most number of contested marks every season.

Charlie is 20 marks ahead of anyone else in the comp. in this stat - 65
Daniher and Hipwood? 46, 26.
Our next best? Harry with 43.

It's our DELIVERY inside 50 that always lets us down.
Against the weaker sides with the 5 x 50pt wins we looked good. But that was not against quality defensive units.
When it counted at the pointy end our scoring sucked with only 2 games more than 11 goals and got some lucky narrow wins mainly because of our tight defence.

Today, we squandered countless forward entries in the first quarter and should have arguably been 8 goals up.
Plenty of dumb long bombs right on Charlie's head and too much opposition attention to win them.

What happened after quarter time?
McInerney, Hipwood, Daniher marking in total abundant space again and again.

What could have made a difference in the first quarter?
I am aiming this STRAIGHT at the SELECTORS.

Why leave out our equal second highest goal-scorer for the year who happens to also be our Number 3 for marks inside 50??!!
Owies has a habit of creeping into space to take uncontested inside 50 marks.

We sorely missed him today.

Might that have been a 17 point difference?

@#$%&! yeah.

Last edited by Ghost of PrincesPark on Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next