Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:
Juanita Jones wrote:
Harry In
JSOS Emergency

Charlie, Harry, and Pittonet/TDK in the same forward line. Not a fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't think we will see much of Pitto in the forwardline.

He will battle it out with their big boy Witts. Good decision.

The band is getting back together.
What a weapon we have on the interchange bench. A 200cm mobile and quick Coleman Medallist.

This is just the next phase of our rejuvenation which started with the return of perennial injured Martin Cuningham and Marchbank.

Vossy will try things and they will come off with his team's newfound thirst for the contest and desire to win.

We will win by a good margin.

Then there's the next layer of midfielders who come in next week, so there's competition for spots in a Finals bound team.

Plenty to play for.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:05 pm 
Ken Hunter

Isn't Fog our good luck charm?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

We'll know in about 44 hours.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:22 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:
Holman out injured

Well we will win for sure now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:23 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Good to see Doc named.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:56 pm 
Rod Ashman

bluechampion wrote:
Fogarty injured… what’s up with him?

NOOOOOOOOoooooooooo.......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:03 pm 
Wayne Johnston

jake_h03 wrote:
blueianh wrote:
Emergencies:
Jordan Boyd
Ed Curnow
Josh Honey
Jack Silvagni
My money would be on Boyd. Given we have 2 rucks and Harry I cant see us going JSOS, Honey I don't rate and Ed I think is cooked.

I think they’ll want Boyd to play a full game given he had 3 weeks off. My money is on Ed again

Boyd played a full game last weekend in the VFL.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:08 pm 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
Juanita Jones wrote:
Harry In
JSOS Emergency

So we'll have Charlie, Harry, and TDK in the forwardline then? Still way too top heavy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:13 pm 
Wayne Johnston

sinbagger wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
blueianh wrote:
Emergencies:
Jordan Boyd
Ed Curnow
Josh Honey
Jack Silvagni
My money would be on Boyd. Given we have 2 rucks and Harry I cant see us going JSOS, Honey I don't rate and Ed I think is cooked.

I think they’ll want Boyd to play a full game given he had 3 weeks off. My money is on Ed again

Boyd played a full game last weekend in the VFL.

And before that his last game was 15 July. So if he's sub, by the time we get to the GWS game he'll have played one game of VFL in 6 weeks.

Then even if he plays that week, we then have a bye before finals, so by the time we get to the first final he'll have played 2 games in 8 weeks.

Not the best preparation for a finals series wouldn't you say? He needs match fitness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:30 am 
Rod Ashman

In the games where Harry played during our streak, we won by more than when he didn’t play (excluding the WCE game).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:43 am 
Geoff Southby

17th Premiership wrote:
In the games where Harry played during our streak, we won by more than when he didn’t play (excluding the WCE game).

we also didn't have pitto and tdk. we had sos

the balance isn't right here imo. too tall, too slow. we're going to struggle to achieve the manic F50 pressure around the ball with tdk, H and charlie.

before forward entries were easy. kick it towards charlie and let it hit the deck where we swarm. that is gone. now, look to get hit on the rebound more when we're not locking in the ball as well.

i think our best team is without pitto - ie tdk rucking 80% of the game with sos chipping in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:00 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

17th Premiership wrote:

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story.
Some wanker in the media comes up with the brain dead idea that we are better without Harry. It catches on then everyone runs with it.
There has hardly been a successful finals team in the history of the game that didn't have 2 genuine marking forwards. And yes often the resting ruck forward.

You need the 2 talls down there and neither TDK or Pitto can catch the ball often enough.
And honestly if you actually watched the game how do you expect your forwards to be of any use and make repeat efforts if they have just come off running on the ball.

Oh and Daniher averaging 1 hit out per game more than Harry. Obviously Joe stints in the ruck working a treat

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:00 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
Juanita Jones wrote:
Harry In
JSOS Emergency

So we'll have Charlie, Harry, and TDK in the forwardline then? Still way too top heavy

So you think we will lose because of your assumption?

We will see. I think you're on your own and don't acknowledge Vossy's obvious preferences and why. Glass half full.

I'm sure the GCS hope Vossy listens to you jake. Think about it.

Before you lumped Pitto in with the 4 talls to make your point, now we are still too heavy with the 3 talls. You dont mention they are quick mobile talls who can mark and kick goals: quicker and more mobile than the defenders who will be minding them.

The 3 mobile towers are a nightmare for opposition coaches. We wont miss Fogarty now that everyone is singing from the same song book.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:25 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story.
Some wanker in the media comes up with the brain dead idea that we are better without Harry. It catches on [and some fools] runs with it [without evaluating the strength of the decision]

There has hardly been a successful finals team in the history of the game that didn't have 2 genuine marking forwards. And yes often the resting ruck forward.

You need the 2 talls down there and neither TDK or Pitto can catch the ball often enough.
And honestly if you actually watched the game how do you expect your forwards to be of any use and make repeat efforts if they have just come off running on the ball.

Oh and Daniher averaging 1 hit out per game more than Harry. Obviously Joe stints in the ruck working a treat

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

edited

Sydney, you are spot on.

Your last line is so apt to remind people of the facts.

Shits me when the anti Carlton media have Carlton supporters gobbling up all their crap.

Pitto vs SOS is not going to change us too much. In fact, against huge ruckmen Pitto will be more helpful to quell their dominance. SOS rarely plays the 4th mid when the ball hits the ground. He plays ruck and follows his opponent, and some seem to forget why SOS didn't play well as the 3rd tall in most games this year because the ruck role fatigued him. He isn't critical imo. I prefer TDK as the 3rd tall and 2nd ruck TBH.

Fogarty out for Harry McKay, and the thought we are worse off is just bizarre.

Fogarty came in to show Motlop and Durdin, the way to add pressure by tackling and I think everyone knows that is the bench mark now, for everyone. Fog doesn't mark, or run as fast, or kick as far or takes away the best defender from Charlie , like Harry does.

Fog wasn't manic. Owies and Motlop were more manic and Motlop improved his tackling. Martin and Cuningham were the ones who added big time to our forward line and running game. Cunners last week alone laid 2nd most tackles, 7, applied the most pressure acts on the ground, 31, plus 8 defensive half pressure acts, which is more than any of our forwards, including Fogarty and more than Newman to give you an idea. Yet some think Cunners was quiet and should make way before Fogarty.

Our team is not about 1 or 2 players or the 6 missing with injury, its about the whole team playing selfless contested footy. If they continue with that mantra, and they will because a Finals spot beckons, adding more class to the team can only improve us.

Richmond went out of their way to pay $1M to Lynch to partner Rewoldt.... Soldo played 3rd tall ...they won the flag.
Cats went out of the way to pay $1M to Cameron to partner Hawkins........Stanley/ Blicavs played forward to give them 3 talls...they won the flag.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:57 am 
Bruce Doull

The clowns saying that Carlton should trade McKay usually suggest clubs where he can go be part of a two-pronged attack :donk:

You have to give something to get something, and a small forward making way so that Curnow isn't double and triple teamed should be a net win.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:18 am 
Rod Ashman

Also, I don’t think it’s a matter of Charlie playing closer to goal and McKay up the ground, or vice versa.
They should mix it up so the defenders can’t settle…
Up/down, right/left, lead/bomb.
Only requirement for me is to see them in different spots from each other most of the time, providing different options for the ball carrier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:27 am 
Ken Hunter

The trade Harry talk is just bored journos wanting to generate gossip now TDK is signed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:31 am 
Serge Silvagni

17th Premiership wrote:
Also, I don’t think it’s a matter of Charlie playing closer to goal and McKay up the ground, or vice versa.
Only requirement for me is to see them in different spots from each other most of the time, providing different options for the ball carrier.

100%.

Harry going for the same ball as Charlie is totally [REDACTED] and almost always wastes a forward entry.

He needs to be told that his position in the team depends on getting the @#$%&! out of Curnow's way.

Easy fix - he stays on the Right flank only. Every time he leads up on the left makes me cringe coz it's yet another wasted shot at goal.
Maybe we spray paint a line straight out from goals and tell him Not to cross it.

Our biggest threat this weekend is not GC - it's McKay screwing things up and destroying forward entries through interference and missed goals.

Two tall targets is great - but not if they neutralise each other in the same space.

Left - Right

Options for ball carrier - simples.

Last edited by Ghost of PrincesPark on Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:31 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

17th Premiership wrote:

That's what they do.

There's times they will both be in the goal square and people will remember that, but forget that the ball was on the other side of the ground.

These 2 have a formula and it will continue to evolve. They bot turn 26yo this year. Best years ahead of them.

These 2 will be the headline in Finals. Harry & Charlie the Blues Brothers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:40 am 
Geoff Southby

Harry is not the issue. well, maybe his inability to ruck is contributing factor. it's pitto, tdk, harry all in the same team. and particularly tdk, harry and charlie in the same forwardline at the same time. modern afl is smaller and faster - creating turnovers from manic pressure and surging forward with run. the nba went small-ball and the afl is in the midst of a similar trend.

i can't see how one of our three big man on the bench at all times is a positive from a team balance perspective.

sos imo is a bit of a vital piece and he has to play for pitto or tdk. and voss loves pitto (for reasons i can't see. after a tap to "advantage" he vanishes into thin air until the next stoppage, and whats worse he often allows his direct opponent to run past him bcos he can't keep up.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next