Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

OFFICIAL: Carlton's team is in for Sunday vs Fremantle!

IN: Matthew Cottrell
OUT: Ed Curnow (Omitted), George Hewett (Sub)

Emergencies: George Hewett, Lachlan Cowan, Jesse Motlop, Ed Curnow

TDK didn't get through fitness test

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:07 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

FREMANTLE

In: None
Out: N.Fyfe (foot)

New: Karl Worner

R16 sub: Neil Erasmus

CARLTON

In: M.Cottrell
Out: E.Curnow (omitted), G.Hewett (sub)

R16 sub: George Hewett

Go Blues!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:09 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Too quick Sydney...
That's a fair call based on last week...
Fingers crossed we're as competitive 'post ruck'

Go Blues!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:51 pm 
Harry Vallence

Don't mind it.
Run run run.
And keep running.

This game will show whether ruckmen are important or not.
2 genuine rucks against none.

Go blues!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:11 pm 
Craig Bradley

I still think Cowan is the most likely sub that could have immediate impact on the game.

Ed has never been a ‘shot-out-of-a-cannon’ type of player. Neither has George, though he is at least placed straight into the fire.

Motlop is an interesting one, if he can bring something in a ruck-rover capacity. I just think that his known skill set is something that you would want to have for the whole game, if he was to be picked. The four incumbents are doing ok in that regard.

The form of the two sides suggests that our greatest needs for tactical triage will be moving the ball off half back and/or winning the clearance.

Freo have had the ruck ascendency all year, but they’ve been belted in contested footy, ground balls and stoppages. If Cripps, Kennedy, Walsh, Cerra, et al can’t get it done, neither Ed nor George are going to shift the needle. Yes, they’re our most likely taggers, but there are options on the field already.

That leaves Cowan or Motlop, with the latter being asked to do something that he’s never done before.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

diesel_85 wrote:
Don't mind it.
Run run run.
And keep running.

Go blues!

Yep.

Asks a lot from our mids.
And they have been hunting rather than hunted and our boys are up to that game from what Ive seen last 2 weeks against Witts Casboult Reeves & Meek

What it says to me, if we continue to succeed without our rucks, is that TDK and Pitto don't really give us what we want from rucks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:37 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
diesel_85 wrote:
Don't mind it.
Run run run.
And keep running.

Go blues!

Yep.

And they have been hunting rather than hunted and our boys are up to that game from what Ive seen last 2 weeks against Witts Casboult Reeves & Meek

What it says to me, if we continue to succeed without our rucks, is that TDK and Pitto don't really give us what we want from rucks.

If you don’t want what Pittonet brings as a ruckman, then you don’t want a ruckman.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/06/28/the-second-biggest-gap-on-record-the-stark-gap-between-carltons-ruckmen/

Quote:
Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne has revealed that the difference between the pair in the ruck is one of the biggest on record between two ruckmen at the same club in recent memory.

“It’s an interesting debate for the Blues with what they do with the two rucks. When Marc Pittonet attends a ruck contest, Carlton wins the clearance seven per cent more than their opposition – a really good return,” Hoyne told SEN’s Sportsday.

“When Tom De Koning attends a ruck contest, they lose the clearance seven per cent more often than their opposition.

“That’s a gap of 14 per cent between the two rucks and the second biggest gap on the record between one ruck to the second ruck within a club over our time.

End of story.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:58 pm 
Robert Walls

Lowey_47 wrote:
May have already been raised but we also suck playing away from home.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Not in WA though. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:03 pm 
Robert Walls

Sydney Blue wrote:
OFFICIAL: Carlton's team is in for Sunday vs Fremantle!

IN: Matthew Cottrell
OUT: Ed Curnow (Omitted), George Hewett (Sub)

Emergencies: George Hewett, Lachlan Cowan, Jesse Motlop, Ed Curnow

TDK didn't get through fitness test

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted if TDK wasn't going to get up - however I would much rather Cottrell as the sub rather than Hewett (TBC of course).

Glad that we have stuck with run and mobility. It is our best chance at maintaining the momentum gained over the past month.

We will get slaughtered in the ruck, but at least it is a known quantity (and we can plan for it).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Nobody needs to go over your posts mate, we know the tune by now :D

And nobody needs to go over the disenchantment of many supporters of this club when you have less than 3 pages of posts after our triumphant win over the Hawks

Maybe that's because you didn't make an appearance on the site until Wednesday afternoon? Funnily enough you're always posting feverishly at the conclusion of a loss. Yet nowhere to be seen for 3 days after a good win.
Sorry. Is that going over your previous posts? :lol:

FWIW, I'm tipping Freo but if Carlton have really improved, this is the game that will demonstrate it. We have a good record in Perth and good local support. Cottrell has to come in IMHO. His previous game he had 18 possessions, 8 score involvements and kicked 2 goals playing as a pressure forward. With Charlie, Harry, Cotters, Cuningham, Martin, Fogarty and the rotating mids, we have a good mix of ball winners up front.
I'd drop Ed and play JSOS as second ruck. Young as the sub. Having a tall sub isn't ideal but if Jackson or Amiss get hold of Kemp, we'll need a plan B.

Like when you didn’t post as much when we continually lost
Despite our differences of opinion we still agree Voss coaches till the end of 2024
It’s where we are at with our list that we differ in opinion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

carntheblues wrote:
keogh wrote:
And those posters who feel the need to go over my past posts you need to get a hobby
And spot any inference in regards to being simply sarcastic
And ask yourself
What have we accomplished since the rebuild started in 2015 if you can be bothered
I’ll give you the answer
S.F.A
A win in a crunch game which Agro kindly pointed out that we haven’t done yet is a small step in the right direction

I think we are a better side than in 2015 and we have achieved two Coleman medallists and a Brownlow medalist since 2015. So there are 4 things that have been achieved!

One
You would hope we are better than 2015 but no top 8 finishes after 8 years
Two
Individual awards mean @#$%&! all

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:24 pm 
Ken Hunter

ah well, TDK's failed test made some of those selections a bit easier. Indeed, will be interesting to see if Young-SOS is a viable combo against the best rucks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

Carlton by 31 points

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I don't mind TDK being out. Our midfielders now know to man up and take them on one on one. It gives a reference point and actually adds accountability. We just need Jack and Young to add a heap of physical pressure so their rucks can't take their eyes off the contest and completely dominate the taps. Jump into them and bruise them up a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
I don't mind TDK being out. Our midfielders now know to man up and take them on one on one. It gives a reference point and actually adds accountability. We just need Jack and Young to add a heap of physical pressure so their rucks can't take their eyes off the contest and completely dominate the taps. Jump into them and bruise them up a bit.

Yeah , reckon thats the key " Vain ". Don't worry about beating there rucks , just nullify them . Don't let them dominate . Reckon Jack and Young will have solid games myself . And i also reckon you are right about our midfielders . Body up , let 'em know you are there .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:43 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
diesel_85 wrote:
Don't mind it.
Run run run.
And keep running.

Go blues!

Yep.

If you don’t want what Pittonet brings as a ruckman, then you don’t want a ruckman.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/06/28/the-second-biggest-gap-on-record-the-stark-gap-between-carltons-ruckmen/

Quote:
Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne has revealed that the difference between the pair in the ruck is one of the biggest on record between two ruckmen at the same club in recent memory.

“It’s an interesting debate for the Blues with what they do with the two rucks. When Marc Pittonet attends a ruck contest, Carlton wins the clearance seven per cent more than their opposition – a really good return,” Hoyne told SEN’s Sportsday.

“When Tom De Koning attends a ruck contest, they lose the clearance seven per cent more often than their opposition.

“That’s a gap of 14 per cent between the two rucks and the second biggest gap on the record between one ruck to the second ruck within a club over our time.

End of story.

lol ... it's not the end of the story. around the ground tdk has a much bigger impact and influence on the game. meanwhile you wouldn't even know pittonet is out there. he's invisible.

can't run, can't mark, can't read the play and get ahead of it.

other than tapping it at stoppages, pittonet might be the worst ruck in the comp for all the other things.

baffling we gave him 4 more years. it musta been dirt cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:56 am 
formerly Fevola

Braithy wrote:
Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
diesel_85 wrote:
Don't mind it.
Run run run.
And keep running.

Go blues!

Yep.

Quote:

End of story.

lol ... it's not the end of the story. around the ground tdk has a much bigger impact and influence on the game. meanwhile you wouldn't even know pittonet is out there. he's invisible.

can't run, can't mark, can't read the play and get ahead of it.

other than tapping it at stoppages, pittonet might be the worst ruck in the comp for all the other things.

baffling we gave him 4 more years. it musta been dirt cheap.

100%. Dont know what anyone sees In Pitto let alone give him 4 years. I dont even know he is playing unless i see him in the ruck.

TDK is much more present in game. Not the best in ruckwork but is young enough to work on it with him.

We need to recruit an experienced ruckman and have TDK in tandem.

But we are stuck with Pitto now unfortunately and could lose TDK.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:07 am 
Stephen Kernahan

TDK has superior athletic traits and will probably be the better footballer but Pitto gets the most out of his limited ability.
He works hard on his ruck work, is a very good centre square exponent and provides a lot of blocks/physical presence inside the stoppages. That's why the mids would like playing with him. He's very selfless. But he needs to improve his craft around the ground and there's no doubt he would be aware of that.
If TDK keeps improving his game, the opportunity is there for him. No one would be happier to see him improve and overtake Pitto than the list managers and coaches.
If he isn't willing to work for it and walks because we're not simply handing him the number 1 role, he's probably not what we want anyway. Hopefully he wants the challenge.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

As the great Jack would say, Pitto is good ordinary Ruck man no more no less.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
diesel_85 wrote:
Don't mind it.
Run run run.
And keep running.

Go blues!

Yep.

Quote:

End of story.

I dont think you get the context of my suggestion.

in a nutshell, my eyes tell me Pitto doesnt mark around the ground, doesnt get back to the backline quick enough to mark, and you can see the same with his forward craft: there is none.

If our mids keep winning without Pitto and TDK, then the type of ruck we are after isnt what they give us. There's more to ruck work than just taps from the ruck. Simple.

Comparing TDK and Pitto isnt the answer.

If we lose to Freo because of Freos ruck dominance then we are desperate for Pitto (for the now), regardless of his shortfalls.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next