Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:30 pm 
Bruce Doull

I actually want to take Carlton to the human rights commission for making me watch them

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:18 pm 
Rod Ashman

CK95 wrote:
I actually want to take Carlton to the human rights commission for making me watch them

:lol: :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

And another thing , Coaches make Assistant Coaches , not the other way round .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:15 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
It was another mature victory, built on the back of contested possession dominance (174-136) and ability to apply pressure to the slick Crows ball-users after the first quarter.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/941520/hot-to-trot-comeback-suns-roll-crows-after-nine-goal-blitz

That sounda like Vossy's game plan. Winning the contested ball, Vossy style.

Obviously its a brutal game, and there's nothing wrong with that ideal and philosophy.
Maybe Vossy's contested bulls aren't switched on, long enough to win the ball.

Maybe Vossy's contesting bulls are worried out of the contest by opponents ordered to quell the influence of our bulls, and encouraged by the prestige of a scalp.
Not naming names, but we have a few inside mids, outside of .

Last year our brigade of inside bulls were our one wood, and today they are called out as our millstone: go figure.
Lets remind the incumbents, who are letting us down, we give their types away such is our riches in that department ( we give away 1st round picks like SPS, Stocker, Setterfield, and soon Philps and Dow)

How do the contested bulls, like Powell, will their team over the line?

Why aren't our bulls doing what Powell and Anderson do?
We have Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy, add Acres and Cincotta with the big bodies.
Hewett adds to that battalion. I'm clueless why, with an abundance of the riches for the contest we have, why this battalion is not in control of the midfield?

I reckon players who play tough inside footy, 80% game time, year after year, will wear out.
I hope Cripps is the exception, but he showed jack of the intent he expressed in the media.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:18 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:

They will find you an addict, and nothing to answer to.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:48 am 
Rod Ashman

CK95 wrote:

hell no, their lawyers win everything!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:45 am 
Geoff Southby

bender wrote:
CK95 wrote:

hell no, their lawyers win everything!!!!

Yep . I"d put that bloke in the guts . We would win every centre clearance .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:48 pm 
Bert Deacon

Stefchook wrote:
Finally won centre clearances.

Sorry, according to AFL.com.au we lost the clearances, in both categories. 29-38.

We did have some wins though:
We won the free kicks. 78-71. (good on you, umpies :thanks: )
While our efficiency inside the F50 was below theirs (41-47), we had better disposal efficiency around the ground (suspicious officials are calling for video replays to confirm this). 75.3 to 69.6.
We won the turnovers. 78-71.
We drew with them on bounces.
We lost everything else, including the number of interchanges made (I expected better in this category).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

78-71 free kicks, no wonder it was unwatchable :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:04 pm 
Craig Bradley

billy_bongo wrote:
Stefchook wrote:

Sorry, according to AFL.com.au we lost the clearances, in both categories. 29-38.

While our efficiency inside the F50 was below theirs (41-47), we had better disposal efficiency around the ground (suspicious officials are calling for video replays to confirm this). 75.3 to 69.6.
We lost everything else, including the number of interchanges made (I expected better in this category).

We won centre clearances 9-8. Only a slight win, but we've consistently lost this stat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:43 pm 
Bert Deacon

Stefchook wrote:
billy_bongo wrote:
Stefchook wrote:

We won centre clearances 9-8. Only a slight win, but we've consistently lost this stat.

You're right again. I'm going cross-eyed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:08 pm 
Rod Ashman

Mickstar wrote:

Nailed it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:34 am 
Geoff Southby

I went into watching the game with the mindset that we would lose and I thought we would've and probably should've got pumped, if it wasn't for their inaccuracy.
Because of this I was able to watch the game with little emotion.

I think the game plan is solid.
I can see what Voss and co are trying to do with the tempo changes and the defensive style of play, I also seen this game a bit more of an attacking mindset with the players.
I knew after the draft last year it was going to be a tough year and adding a more layered game plan was always going to take time for the players to embrace.
It is not a complex enough game plan the players can't deliver either.
It was interesting to also note that with all the inclusions the team didn't suffer or really excel.
To me that shows either a good game plan with defined roles or that our depth is pretty even after a handful of stars, maybe a bit of both.

The unfortunate part of the game for me was that while the players that came in played their roles, our senior players didn't.
It also really exposed how one dimensional we are in the middle and consequently up forward.
When your captain comes out and makes a public statement about the game and then doesn't deliver, is not only embarrassing for him but the club also.
23 disposals and 151m gained is pretty poor for our no.1 mid "making a statement".
Not sure what is up with Walsh, Doc and Saad. But all 3 were pretty poor also.
I thought Kennedy and Cerra played well but Kennedy only had 176m gained.
I also thought TDK did well in the middle, he just needed another ruck and losing JSOS didn't help.
26 Hit outs, to Gawn 20 and Brodie 11 is pretty good.
Both Young and Kemp did well in defence as too Weitering.
Acres actually played a better game this week IMO, he still had 6 clangers but he had better i50 entries and actually made an impact moving the ball forward.
Cotters had a bit of up and down game unfortunately but started to get going in the second half.
Harry presented well but geez his kicking is a coach killer still............stop trying to kick 45m snaps.........no one can.
Curnow was quiet, you can't have him blitzing every game.
With Harry missing goals and Charlie being shut down we are screaming out for another forward as an option, medium preferably.
Our small forwards were a real let down, not so much in kicking goals but defensive pressure.
4 goal kickers for the game and only 4 tackles in the F50 says a lot.
I also thought LOB, Fisher and Dow had a good game.
They all did some nice things and their deficiencies were not really a highlighted part of their game.

All in all it was an expected result, not really worth getting upset about.
I think we should stick to the game plan Voss is implementing and in the off season address the shortfalls of the team to implement it.
Get rid of more injury prone players and add speed, speed and more speed as well as foot skills.
We need to trade heavy and be daring at the table with some big names, if Austin is up for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:50 am 
Geoff Southby

DesEnglish wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Nailed it

Experienced coaches make assistant coaches.

McRae didn't make Bolton or Leppa.
Goodwin didn't make Chocco.
Both of those teams assistants are defiantly making their senior coaches look and coach better.

Like in all jobs adding more experienced talent to a team especially to support the leader has better, quicker results.
You can't say having Neil Craig leave the Club under Bolton had no effect, we won 3 games over 2 years afterwards.
Voss needs a Buckley or Roos or even Neil Craig to add some wise heads to the box.
Because even though this is his second stint, he still is a relatively inexperienced senior coach.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:00 am 
Ken Hunter

Good work siders. On this part... "With Harry missing goals and Charlie being shut down we are screaming out for another forward as an option, medium preferably."... we did play Kennedy up forward quite a lot, and he battled bravely as always (remember that collision where you could hear the oxygen exit the stadium) but was beaten by the experience of Lever.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:02 am 
Geoff Southby

Sidefx wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Nailed it

Both of those teams assistants are defiantly making their senior coaches look and coach better.

Like in all jobs adding more experienced talent to a team especially to support the leader has better, quicker results.
You can't say having Neil Craig leave the Club under Bolton had no effect, we won 3 games over 2 years afterwards.
Voss needs a Buckley or Roos or even Neil Craig to add some wise heads to the box.
Because even though this is his second stint, he still is a relatively inexperienced senior coach.

No argument from me Sidey that you need a good set of quality assistants . But you must be sure you have the right Coach . Get your number one man right and go from there . If the hierarchy conclude Voss is the man and can cut the mustard , yep , for sure go get a toppling supporting cast . But they must be absolutely positive that Voss is the right . I hope he is coz i love everything about the bloke . I"m not he is the bloke anymore so blind faith in Voss is ridiculous . If we have to move on from his so be it . Sick of waisting time . Get it right this time and stay the course .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:07 am 
Geoff Southby

GreatEx wrote:
Good work siders. On this part... "With Harry missing goals and Charlie being shut down we are screaming out for another forward as an option, medium preferably."... we did play Kennedy up forward quite a lot, and he battled bravely as always (remember that collision where you could hear the oxygen exit the stadium) but was beaten by the experience of Lever.

I watched GCS on the weekend and had a bit of envy watching Casboult play.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:16 am 
Geoff Southby

Mickstar wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Nailed it

No argument from me Sidey that you need a good set of quality assistants . But you must be sure you have the right Coach . Get your number one man right and go from there . If the hierarchy conclude Voss is the man and can cut the mustard , yep , for sure go get a toppling supporting cast . But they must be absolutely positive that Voss is the right . I hope he is coz i love everything about the bloke . I"m not he is the bloke anymore so blind faith in Voss is ridiculous . If we have to move on from his so be it . Sick of waisting time . Get it right this time and stay the course .

I look at it this way, we don't know if Voss is the coach to take us all the way.
But what we do know is changing coaches and not having senior experience to support the inexperienced ones has continuously failed us so far.
So why wouldn't we try something different and get him some support.
As I've said before I think his game plan is solid and the layers added are good.
He just needs some more experienced eyes seeing the oppositions game day tactics and helping him to prepare and react to them quicker and smarter.
Exactly what Chocco has done to the Demons.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sidefx wrote:
I went into watching the game with the mindset that we would lose and I thought we would've and probably should've got pumped, if it wasn't for their inaccuracy.
Because of this I was able to watch the game with little emotion.

I think the game plan is solid.
I can see what Voss and co are trying to do with the tempo changes and the defensive style of play, I also seen this game a bit more of an attacking mindset with the players.
I knew after the draft last year it was going to be a tough year and adding a more layered game plan was always going to take time for the players to embrace.
It is not a complex enough game plan the players can't deliver either.
It was interesting to also note that with all the inclusions the team didn't suffer or really excel.
To me that shows either a good game plan with defined roles or that our depth is pretty even after a handful of stars, maybe a bit of both.

The unfortunate part of the game for me was that while the players that came in played their roles, our senior players didn't.
It also really exposed how one dimensional we are in the middle and consequently up forward.
When your captain comes out and makes a public statement about the game and then doesn't deliver, is not only embarrassing for him but the club also.
23 disposals and 151m gained is pretty poor for our no.1 mid "making a statement".
Not sure what is up with Walsh, Doc and Saad. But all 3 were pretty poor also.
I thought Kennedy and Cerra played well but Kennedy only had 176m gained.
I also thought TDK did well in the middle, he just needed another ruck and losing JSOS didn't help.
26 Hit outs, to Gawn 20 and Brodie 11 is pretty good.
Both Young and Kemp did well in defence as too Weitering.
Acres actually played a better game this week IMO, he still had 6 clangers but he had better i50 entries and actually made an impact moving the ball forward.
Cotters had a bit of up and down game unfortunately but started to get going in the second half.
Harry presented well but geez his kicking is a coach killer still............stop trying to kick 45m snaps.........no one can.
Curnow was quiet, you can't have him blitzing every game.
With Harry missing goals and Charlie being shut down we are screaming out for another forward as an option, medium preferably.
Our small forwards were a real let down, not so much in kicking goals but defensive pressure.
4 goal kickers for the game and only 4 tackles in the F50 says a lot.
I also thought LOB, Fisher and Dow had a good game.
They all did some nice things and their deficiencies were not really a highlighted part of their game.

All in all it was an expected result, not really worth getting upset about.
I think we should stick to the game plan Voss is implementing and in the off season address the shortfalls of the team to implement it.
Get rid of more injury prone players and add speed, speed and more speed as well as foot skills.
We need to trade heavy and be daring at the table with some big names, if Austin is up for it.

In a somewhat perverse kind of way, this is the most uplifting assessment I’ve read in a long time.
I really hope you are right. It certainly looks like Voss thinks we are not as far away as it seems in terms of the game plan, getting bits right here and there but not piecing it all together.
We should get a top 10 pick in the draft. It will be interesting to see how we can somehow get 2 or 3 top picks and/or more experienced talent.
I could see a St Kilda swap with Dow for Billings but not sure how much that improves us.
If TDK leaves, maybe we get a top 10 pick or a couple of lower 1st rounders. But then we’d need another ruckman.
If you’re overall assessment is right, at least it provides hope and direction for what to do next.
The most depressing thing about our predicament for me is working out what to address, or what combination of things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next