Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:57 am 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

For the Anti-Voss crowd, I think the undervaluing of the Saints defence and it's structure vs our game plan and 4 other teams this year, is being a little short sighted.
They have a great system that has only leaked an average of 59pts

So we should go easy on the coach because the opposition have a good system... :confused:

I think you missed the point.
We have had what, 3 coaches over the last five years and yet we still have the same issues.
The only constant is the core playing group.
SOS and Austin have tried to fill needs but are yet to have nailed it.
We have bought in senior talent that are either injury prone (because to be fair they were the only ones that wanted to come to us) or can't kick the footy that other clubs were happy for them to leave. Only a couple of them have been great gets if you want to be honest.
And last year we were at the heals of the top 8 and this was the time to draft in more senior talent, but we went to the draft instead and everyone was expecting a massive change this season, confusing.
Start panicking once we have players back that can kick the footy and we still can't win.
We are not a top 4 side, we need more mature talent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:02 am 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:
I said this yesterday - the first half was George Foreman -v- Muhammad Ali “Rumble in the Jungle” - we were Foreman, we threw everything at St Kilda and they just backed off on the ropes absorbing everything - we needed to have landed the knock out blow in the first half and early in the third but didn’t - I knew how the the rest of the game was going to unfold, everybody at the ground knew, except those people in our Coaches Box.

Agree, we didn't capitalise on what had at the time.
But honestly, other than creating a defensive wall of players and having the forwards in the F50 outnumbered because of our slow ball movement, what else could've they done.
Especially when the ball did get in there to the forwards and they couldn't convert.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
AGRO wrote:
I said this yesterday - the first half was George Foreman -v- Muhammad Ali “Rumble in the Jungle” - we were Foreman, we threw everything at St Kilda and they just backed off on the ropes absorbing everything - we needed to have landed the knock out blow in the first half and early in the third but didn’t - I knew how the the rest of the game was going to unfold, everybody at the ground knew, except those people in our Coaches Box.

But honestly, other than creating a defensive wall of players and having the forwards in the F50 outnumbered because of our slow ball movement, what else could've they done.
Especially when the ball did get in there to the forwards and they couldn't convert.

Did you not notice how St Kilda delivered the ball into their Forward line with their “monster sized” 188cm key forwards - it was out in front of them on the lead to a “hot spot” of around 30 to 35 metres out. Not on top of their heads near the boundary line where the the 50 metre arc meets.

:wink: :lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:13 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sidefx wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

For the Anti-Voss crowd, I think the undervaluing of the Saints defence and it's structure vs our game plan and 4 other teams this year, is being a little short sighted.

So we should go easy on the coach because the opposition have a good system... :confused:

We have had what, 3 coaches over the last five years and yet we still have the same issues.
We have bought in senior talent that are either injury prone (because to be fair they were the only ones that wanted to come to us) or can't kick the footy that other clubs were happy for them to leave. Only a couple of them have been great gets if you want to be honest.
And last year we were at the heals of the top 8 and this was the time to draft in more senior talent, but we went to the draft instead and everyone was expecting a massive change this season, confusing.
Start panicking once we have players back that can kick the footy and we still can't win.

I beg to differ.
The CONSTANT is we keep hiring average coaches.
Our game plans have been and continue to be rubbish.
We have turned over the list, most pundits say we have a good list.
Is it perfect? No
Do we have injuries? Yes (but then so do a lot of teams)
We have been tactically bereft for as long as I can remember.
The board are squarely to blame for this.
Fish rots at the end remember.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:14 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sidefx wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Out coached

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:16 am 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Did you not notice how St Kilda delivered the ball into their Forward line with their “monster sized” 188cm key forwards - it was out in front of them on the lead to a “hot spot” of around 30 to 35 metres out. Not on top of their heads near the boundary line where the the 50 metre arc meets.

I did, but that's not what stopped us from kicking goals or getting the ball to the forwards.
They had what we didn't, the ability to clear D50 with pace and accuracy to create those options.
Doc, Saad, Williams & Boyd would've created that for us also.
But we didn't have them, so the only other thing we could've done was to try and stop that drive from them.
Hence the suggestion, to create a defensive wall.
Plus we all know that is where Charlie and Harry like to lead to, all the time, at the same time.
How do you stop a cat from being a cat. :wink:

Last edited by Sidefx on Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:17 am 
Ken Hunter

I'm putting you on the ignore list Paddycripps, can't take another moment of you responding to well thought out posts with your reflexive negativity and immaturity. Stop insisting on having the last word all the time, stop bringing the mood down and try listening to others for once, ffs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:23 am 
Geoff Southby

Sidefx wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

I have said that our list isn’t good enough
Out top end talent is right up there but it drops away significantly after that due to poor recruiting particularly from SOS
When the club recruits players like McGovern Williams Hewett Martin Acres Cerra the assumption as a supporter is that the football offield staff feel we have the talent but need to fix up one area
Acres is a case in point
We need better wingers so we get a guy who is given a 3 year deal in his mid 20 s who a reasonable player but the same problems exist within the team
And the game continues to evolve
You arnt going to be a top 4 team if all you do is kick it sideways
The club internally overrates the list
I go back to the recruitment of McGovern Martin and Williams
All recruited on big money long term deals
Guys who have been injury prone inconsistent played a couple of outstanding games who have failed to deliver

Voss needs to change things up in the short term
Positional changes play Dow Carroll Kemp Binns
Long term we need to cut deep get some decent picks with some trades and start again imo
All this stuff that the list is good enough is crap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:28 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GreatEx wrote:
I'm putting you on the ignore list Paddycripps, can't take another moment of you responding to well thought out posts with your reflexive negativity and immaturity. Stop insisting on having the last word all the time, stop bringing the mood down and try listening to others for once, ffs.

:lol:

Is that all you have?

No more facts?

You really are a joke mate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:28 am 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

I beg to differ.
Is it perfect? No

Not this again.
You do realise the lack of stability at any club or business for that matter will cause more issues than having a few average people at the helm for extended periods.
You can't build on something that is continually being rebuilt, it hasn't worked for us yet and I'll give you the red hot tip.....it won't.
So instead of throwing the toys out and bagging all the senior positions how about looking at the players also and see why the professional footballers we are paying good money for can't kick the football. Two of them are Coleman medalists FFS, yet they get no blame.
The only thing rotten at the moment is the SaKc Voss crowd.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:29 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
AGRO wrote:

I did, but that's not what stopped us from kicking goals or getting the ball to the forwards.
They had what we didn't, the ability to clear D50 with pace and accuracy to create those options.
Doc, Saad, Williams & Boyd would've created that for us also.
But we didn't have them, so the only other thing we could've done was to try and stop that drive from them.
Hence the suggestion, to create a defensive wall.
Plus we all know that is where Charlie and Harry like to lead to, all the time, at the same time.
How do you stop a cat from being a cat. :wink:

Can’t blame injuries for what we don’t have (Doc, Saad,Williams and Boyd) - St Kilda have been missing key players all season they are sitting on top of the ladder - system and coaching, we don’t have it.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:38 am 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

I beg to differ.
Is it perfect? No

Not this again.
You do realise the lack of stability at any club or business for that matter will cause more issues than having a few average people at the helm for extended periods.
You can't build on something that is continually being rebuilt, it hasn't worked for us yet and I'll give you the red hot tip.....it won't.
So instead of throwing the toys out and bagging all the senior positions how about looking at the players also and see why the professional footballers we are paying good money for can't kick the football. Two of them are Coleman medalists FFS, yet they get no blame.
The only thing rotten at the moment is the SaKc Voss crowd.

Agree. I would just like to know reasoning for slow game style. I don't get it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:42 am 
Geoff Southby

We won 8 out of the first 10 games in 2022 based on a very good key defender two excellent marking forwards and a big bodied midfield who smashed oppositions but you can’t do that every week
Once opposition teams worked out that even if they broke even with us in contested possession and clearence we were gone
Watching yesterday it was clear the team was frustrated that they couldn’t score despite the amount of ball we got compared to the opposition
We have been ordinary for nearly a year now so it’s time for Voss to try some different things and freshen up the side
Play Charlie in the midfield at the expense of Hewett
Has the tank
I think Mc Kay would play better as the number one forward
Try it
It’s not just the last 2 weeks
It’s been like this since round 11 2022

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:45 am 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:
Can’t blame injuries for what we don’t have (Doc, Saad,Williams and Boyd) - St Kilda have been missing key players all season they are sitting on top of the ladder - system and coaching, we don’t have it.

I agree with that about injuries.
However, the Saints play a great rebound game as we usually do, what if they are missing Wanganeen-Milera, Sinclair and Hill.
Don't you think that would totally stuff up their structure and game plan coming out of D50 and creating those option in F50 you referred to?
How many points did they score again from rebounds compared to us? From memory it was most of their scoring.
I'm not sure what their list depth is like to cover all 3 of those roles at once but I know we can't and even Scott said the Cat's couldn't either.
In a game of %'s it all adds up.
Again, the coach can't make Harry, Charlie, Cripps and JSOS kick goals they should kick.
As you also said, we had the chances in the first half but we failed to deliver...............the players failed, not the coaches.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:50 am 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
Agree. I would just like to know reasoning for slow game style. I don't get it

The only thing I can assume it is our style of controlled movement of the ball to maintain possession going forward.
Unfortunately the better ball movers are all injured and we are now really slow, predictable and inaccurate on top of that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:01 pm 
Harry Vallence

I must admit I was worried when Kennedy was warming up with the defenders. I don't get it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

The other worrying stat I just seen on the Access All Areas show is that so far this season, Sam Walsh and Blake Acres are the only two midfielders to have kicked goals for the club and only 1 each for a total of 2 goals after 6 rounds.
Not good enough, you need your mids kicking goals to win games.
Lloyd gives Harry a good roast too.

Edit: I just looked up the stats and Lloyd mob are cooked.
Cerra and Ed Curnow have kicked a goal a piece also and TDK has bagged one, making 5 goals in total to our midfield.

As a comparison (going by AFL player status of MID/RUCK):
Mason Wood for the Aints has kicked 5 himself this season.
Team total: 14
And Phillipou has kicked 6 and Caminiti (who was training with us) has kicked 7.

Last edited by Sidefx on Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

Media allover us.
Asking the right questions about our method.
I doubt we will listen, but interesting that much it what is being said here is repeated by the media.

Slow play, over possession, efficiency terrible.
Bottom 4 for marks inside 50.
Bottom 4 for inside 50’s

Does not sound like the plan is working.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:48 pm 
Bruce Doull

bluehammer wrote:
tommi wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
I read we'd had zero running bounces for the game. Ouch.

No bounces….

at all…?

kindest regards tommi
Zeeeero

Nil

Nada

Not a sausage.

Can’t get over this…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:55 pm 
Geoff Southby

tommi wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
tommi wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
I read we'd had zero running bounces for the game. Ouch.

No bounces….

at all…?

kindest regards tommi
Zeeeero

Nil

Nada

Not a sausage.

Can’t get over this…!

kindest regards tommi

To be fair Tommi, this stat is a bit of storm in a tea cup.

St Kilda had a massive total of 2 bounces......that's right only 2 bounces.
Owens had one and so did Battle.
It wasn't a game for running and bouncing.
It was a kicking game in which 6 of the top ten efficient kicks were St Kilda players and 3 of those were rebounding players.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next