Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:21 pm 
John James

BigBlueWave wrote:
Dow had 40 possessions today ... but we don't reward consistent good form

so who would you drop to make space for Dow? Crippa, Walshie, Cerra, Hewitt or Kennedy?!

like for like would probably mean Cerra. don’t think so. form would mean kennedy or hewitt who have been playing tagging roles (even though Brownie and Richo reckon Carlton don’t tag!) so that’s a role of the dice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:31 pm 
John Nicholls

diesel95 wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

so who would you drop to make space for Dow? Crippa, Walshie, Cerra, Hewitt or Kennedy?!

like for like would probably mean Cerra. don’t think so. form would mean kennedy or hewitt who have been playing tagging roles (even though Brownie and Richo reckon Carlton don’t tag!) so that’s a role of the dice.

*roll

(Though maybe a pair of dice would go well at half forward. Double sixes, big H goals).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:49 pm 
John James

FarmerBlue wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
Here are some other Zero's

Impact in the game

Honey - Zero
Durdin - Zero
Motlop - Zero
Ed - Zero

1 goal from the 4 of them. Vossy should be saying ......Nope not on my watch.

Regards Cazzesman

I agree

Honey is NOT a forward
Durdin was "okay"
Motlop looked lost from the first bounce. Very disappointing
Ed is cooked. Couldn't keep up

Only thing I will say about small forwards in is we got it in so slowly they were swamped. To give our forwards the best chance it needs to get in quickly (and to advantage) otherwise sides are getting numbers back and swamping us. They have no room to move

agree the present system doesn’t help our small forwards. no lines to run. no open front and centres to attack. durdin is lurking over the back for a lucky break off hands. missing owies. knows how to kick and how to lead up for the “not charlie and not harry” option which requires a good defender or offers Owies a simple shot on goal on no angle.

Motlop made a wise decision not to kick to an unmanned harry yips 15m out in the right pocket and squared up (just!) to Cerra for a layup 20 metres out. didn’t see much else of him on replay . Honey should have kicked a goal in 2nd or 3rd qtr running directly towards goal 35 out but looped a handball over an opposition player to Motlop and the whole thing ended in a low percentage kick from Charlie instead of a gimme goal to Honey. he misses goal kicking in the reserves so maybe that’s why he was “unselfish”.

SOS and smalls we’re great vs geelong but it was charlie and harry did the damage.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

Jack Steele on SEN before when Kane asked if they just focussed on Cripps and not worried about others in the middle didn't exactly rebuke the question.

We have no respect.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:51 pm 
John James

robertbb wrote:
diesel95 wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

*roll

(Though maybe a pair of dice would go well at half forward. Double sixes, big H goals).

indeed.

though maybe it’s just another part of our *role* to be the whipping boy for the Mathew Lloyds and Damien Barretts this season?!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:53 pm 
John James

Traveller86 wrote:
Jack Steele on SEN before when Kane asked if they just focussed on Cripps and not worried about others in the middle didn't exactly rebuke the question.

We have no respect.

Cerra and Walsh deserve respect. Hewitt and Kennedy playing negating roles. big deal, Saints aren’t making this years GF if you ask me. who cares if they don’t respect. if we kicked straight across the ground and moved the ball even half as fast as last season we could have won easy. weird game. improvement on the Crows debacle.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:21 pm 
John James

tommi wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
tommi wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
I read we'd had zero running bounces for the game. Ouch.

No bounces….

at all…?

kindest regards tommi
Zeeeero

Nil

Nada

Not a sausage.

Can’t get over this…!

kindest regards tommi

who was it who was jogging slowly, ok walking casually out of the D50 and almost went to bounce not once but twice but hesitated both times and then booted in down the guts to a nothing contest on his last step?! it was comical in the black humour kind of comedy way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Carlton Age, Experience 2023:
1: 9th Oldest, 11th Games Played
2: 10th Oldest, 12th Games Played
3: 10th Oldest, 12th Games Played
4: 13th Oldest, 13th Games Played
5: 11th Oldest, 12th Games Played
6: 14th Oldest, 16th Games Played

Are we over rating the team

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:35 pm 
Robert Walls

Sydney Blue wrote:

Are we over rating the team which one are we?
Cheers

Syd, confused as to how that reads.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:42 pm 
John James

SurreyBlue wrote:
WOW wrote:

No doubt a losing mentality can permeate a club

We have had it for over 20 years

So easy for this pattern to continue for a very long time. The cycle broke for Melbourne and Richmond recently.

I think some Carlton players would have been better players at a club like Geelong. They are simply a better club than us.

Unfortunately have said this many a times over the past 20 years and people kept dismissing it continuously. It keeps proving me right, no matter how many new players are traded in or out. LOSERS CULTURE.

i for one never dismissed it though i think you overstate it at times. i posted several times about a book i pulled off my sisters business books shelf called Confidence. it was an examination of what made some US pro and college sport clubs so successful they’re referred to as “dynasties”, including ones that turned around what you call “loser” cultures to what presumably you would call “winners” cultures. (i hate those jeff kennett kind of terms. terms loved of bullies not people who know how to create good sporting club cultures i would suggest).

the author struggled to find any common threads in methodology or to adjudicate on whether it’s the head coach, the captain(s) and leaders group, the list, the club off the field, the sports psychologists, the tactics or whatever that was the golden ticket. but to turn around a long losing streak obviously requires a perfect storm of many of these things.

time will tell on Voss. first year in him replacing Teague seemed like a no brainer. i hate Roses Lyon and was hugely relieved we didn’t get him. i think he sucks the life out of players over the long run wi th his dower style but he gets results in the near term. he seems to have chilled out a bit with a break from coaching. though was snide about Carlton and definitely had no respect once he’d managed to get the win. didn’t even concede our “domination” in first half which is probably correct. they just absorbed our adrenaline and then as soon as we kicked some east behinds pounced and sapped out last mojo.

my mate was at the game as said Walsh was in red hot form and got crunched in a tackle in the third quater and disappeared after that. without Saad, Doc, Williams, Martin, etc etc, Walsh’s agressive running and link up style of play was probably filling the gap for four players. he’s incredible, two games back after a major back surgery. incredible.

i think we look worse than we are atm because of a boring game style and the absense of a few of our best playmakers. we need to teach others how to do those things. even if they have to use handballs becuase they can’t kick accurately to a lead up 30-50 m down the ground.

these are the “layers” and “dimensions” Voss is talking about. i just hope they materialise before the season is effectively over for us.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:48 pm 
Bert Deacon

Traveller86 wrote:

We have no respect.

Stop Cripps; stop Carlton. Everyone has known that for several years. James Dibble and the late news...

Last edited by billy_bongo on Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

london blue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Cheers

We are putting a young inexperienced team on the park

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:54 pm 
John Nicholls

london blue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Cheers

Thank you - thought it was me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:57 pm 
Ken Hunter

Change I want to see, is balancing our midfield. Cripps, Cerra and Walsh start with Kennedy and Dow changing.
Run and carry and taking the handball option, if available. How many times did we kick instead of handball to a runner?
Kicking into our F50 was just diabolical. Want to see our key forwards lead up more and bloody creating space for each other.
Smalls at the fall of the ball ffs.

I’m not asking for much, am I?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:01 pm 
Ken Hunter

robertbb wrote:
london blue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Cheers

It’s you two.
In R6 we are were 14th oldest (5th youngest) to take the field and also the 16th less experienced for the round. See easy. :razz:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:46 am 
Wayne Johnston

FarmerBlue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
I would argue our list is better than 17 other teams. The problem isn’t depth, talent, injuries or balance. The problem is above the shoulders. We need to understand what success looks like and means. After watching our second half against StKilda, I’m convinced the issue is above the shoulders. It can be fixed, but some chains need to be rattled for the message to get through.

And this is the culture issue we have, the supporters and senior club figures expectations.
Our list is not that good, we lack depth and maturity.
And annually injured players are a major source of that problem.

I think our top end is very good but we fall away quickly and injuries have highlighted that

With a good system the apparent lack of depth would disappear.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:31 am 
Robert Walls

SurreyBlue wrote:
robertbb wrote:
london blue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Cheers

It’s you two.
In R6 we are were 14th oldest (5th youngest) to take the field and also the 16th less experienced for the round. See easy. :razz:

Thank you - you’re a genius - makes sense now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:51 am 
Geoff Southby

sinbagger wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
I would argue our list is better than 17 other teams. The problem isn’t depth, talent, injuries or balance. The problem is above the shoulders. We need to understand what success looks like and means. After watching our second half against StKilda, I’m convinced the issue is above the shoulders. It can be fixed, but some chains need to be rattled for the message to get through.

And this is the culture issue we have, the supporters and senior club figures expectations.
Our list is not that good, we lack depth and maturity.
And annually injured players are a major source of that problem.

I think our top end is very good but we fall away quickly and injuries have highlighted that

With a good system the apparent lack of depth would disappear.

Yes and no.
Our mid tier of players is pretty bare TBH and they would usually cover the injuries of the top tier.
We are currently playing a very young list to cover for those injuries instead, which is never good.
Not all teams and their systems can cope with the injuries we have to key personnel.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:10 am 
Bruce Doull

Sidefx wrote:
Yes and no.
Our mid tier of players is pretty bare TBH and they would usually cover the injuries of the top tier.
We are currently playing a very young list to cover for those injuries instead, which is never good.
Not all teams and their systems can cope with the injuries we have to key personnel.

Yep I agree. This is why it bugs me when you get an injury & people say well he's not even in your best 22 anyway. An injury to the second tier means you're dipping into the third tier later.

Every injury is a setback, & we've had them in spades for years.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:39 am 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Yes and no.

Yep I agree. This is why it bugs me when you get an injury & people say well he's not even in your best 22 anyway. An injury to the second tier means you're dipping into the third tier later.

Every injury is a setback, & we've had them in spades for years.

Too many years of rinse and repeat for me.

Looking forward, at least we have Saad, Boyd, Cottrell and Owies coming back this week and the next.
That'll be huge for us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next