Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:57 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Much better performance at the clearances.
Better effort from the coaching panel. Shut down Sinclair for a half, and Wilkie for the match. Ahead in most of the statistical indicators. Main difference was the forward finishing.
Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and Acres.
Encouraging performance from Cincotta. Seemed nervous about kicking it, although it's one of his strengths.

Cons:

Inaccuracy really cost us. Special mention to SOJ and Harry (who looked like he's got the yips).
Got killed at ground level at both ends. We continue to struggle when the ball is in space. Need more pace and skill.
Costly turnovers.
Relying too much on forward frees to score.
Small forwards. All of 28 possessions between Honey, Motlop, Durdin and Ed.
I know we don't have a lot of choice, but Kennedy is not a small defender.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

club29 wrote:
I thought that went as well as could be expected. The Saints have far too much running power for Carlton. That combined with Lyons always difficult to play against games style left us with no real chance.
They are a good team. Why was it that Carlton didnt get Lyon?
I liked Cerra's game. Walsh was good. I liked Cincotta but thought he lacked second efforts.
I think Carlton will win a few more games this year. Finish somewhere in the top 12.
Then Carlton have to re assess what we are doing and where we are thinking the game is heading. More running power is must to balance out the 23. Need to be able to defend better as a team and for longer.
For that the 23 needs more players with great running numbers in the pre season.

And this where Stephen Silvagni failed as list manager. Didn't understand the running power required at AFL level hence he supplies us with SPS, O'Brien, Dow, Fisher and Stocker ... very little running power and hardly any armour. This has held us back. We shouldn't have been poaching the likes of Cerra and Hewett 7 years into a rebuild but rather putting the final pieces to the puzzle.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:59 pm 
Ken Hunter

I am not angry, I expected a loss today.
It was the way it happened.
We dominated so many stats yet got what felt like a thumping.
We cannot continue to carry some of the players who ran out today.
Surely there is someone in the seconds who can come into the side. I heard Dow played well again, why isn't he getting a go?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:03 pm 
Bob Chitty

This can't be about the coaching staff ..

The players are the only constant .. we just have too many that aren't good enough .. or rather .. consistent enough.

There can be no trust on about 40% of our players that w e can be sure that we will get a consistent effort from.

Martin
Williams
Cunningham
Marchbank

Can never get on the park for extended periods. McGovern is almost on that list as well

Then there are the players that seem to get a game over others that are just no way reliable enough

Durdin (is young)
Motlop (is young)
Silvagni
Hewitt
Kennedy
Honey (is young)
O Brien .. I just don't get using as sub
Fisher (though was okay)

Hell I have more confidence in Holland's and Cowan in their 6th games than I do half of the side

Very frustrating

Last edited by ScottSaunders2 on Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:04 pm 
John Nicholls

kezza wrote:
Surely there is someone in the seconds who can come into the side. I heard Dow played well again, why isn't he getting a go?

Definitely time to give Dow a go, especially on a big ground in WA.

Give Fisher a spell in the magoos.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:15 pm 
Craig Bradley

robertbb wrote:
kezza wrote:

What good would he have been today?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:20 pm 
Laurie Kerr

If they kicked the gimmee goals and removed the goals frim easy passes going wrong in the back half, and take into account what that would have done for momentum, we would have won easily. it seems to me acceptable to keep a similar gameplan, practice more and learn to kick accurately.. going off today it will give us a much better chance of winning. No matter what gameplan you have, if you kick as badly as we do, you will never get anywhere in a season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:31 pm 
John Nicholls

Crusader wrote:
robertbb wrote:
kezza wrote:

Foot speed from stoppage
Handball linkup through the ground

Could he have been any worse than Fish? I've been a fan of Fish over the journey but he's as good as he'll get and he wouldn't get a spot on any top 10 AFL list.

You've gotta reward good form and punish poor form. Fisher's gifted game after game and while he's "popular" among the group, he's not going to help them win games.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

Just watched the press conference.

While I don’t suggest he is, if Voss is as soft on our players behind closed doors as he is on then in public, then maybe I understand why commitment and effort is optional during a game.

No doubt he gets where we are, and where we are consistently struggling, but I just don’t hear any solutions

“We’ve gotta go to work on that”
“Work on different phases”

I dunno.

I want him to be the man, maybe we need Led Tasso to come out!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:41 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

We can winge and wind about a lot of things but and of the day we are poorly coached and on top of that we are not good enough

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:44 pm 
Craig Bradley

robertbb wrote:
Crusader wrote:
robertbb wrote:
kezza wrote:

Foot speed from stoppage

Sure you’ve got the right bloke?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:44 pm 
Bob Chitty

Really disappointing today. The coaching group got their arses handed to them. Slow ball movement that was never going to trouble a Lyon defence. Exposed on the counter attack.

Today also summed up the playing group and list. Some strong performers. A large group of passengers with a number featuring in this group every weekend. A number of players missing who could have contributed - many of which never play. A lack of polish when it mattered. Experienced players going to water in front of goal.

We’ve got issues across the board at this stage: game plan, durability, our bottom 6 players and polish forward of centre.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We need to bomb it into the forward 50 more... But not too quickly... Wait before you do so....
And if you do have no one there.... kick to the opposition player...

All good after that....

:slaphead:

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:50 pm 
Ken Hunter

We won the midfield battle, we had more possessions and the biggest possession winners on the ground and yet we lost the game. We butchered the ball and in particular our F50 entries. We didn’t move the ball cleanly and we kept putting our teammates under pressure when we tried to move iit quickly.

StKilda where happy to wait for us to turn it over and spread and run. They the used ball well and with clean disposal and setup, moved the ball and scored easily against. End of game.

Ps. I’m also concerned with Weitering. Not sure he wants to be out there right now. We also have some selfish footballers who want the spotlight but refuse to be team players and do the 1%.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

I also saw way too much of Tim Membrey today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Crows beat us.

Today we beat ourselves.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:58 pm 
Laurie Kerr

We move the ball so slow and then bomb it and yet still our smalls are nowhere to be found Ming boggling

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

Crusader wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Crusader wrote:
robertbb wrote:
kezza wrote:

Foot speed from stoppage

Sure you’ve got the right bloke?

We lose badly to Adelaide and very little was changed. We come up against St Kilda and again have a bad loss. We need at least have players fighting for their spot. Too many on our list have been gifted games. We need to reward the better players in the seconds whether that is Dow, Fogarty or whoever it is. When was the last time that Honey, E. Curnow, Motlop, Durdin or Fisher played well in the twos?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

Crusader wrote:
robertbb wrote:
kezza wrote:

Dow would have provided more speed in tight areas ... his inclusion would mean someone like Walsh could go on a wing and provide some scoring impact. He could also have played as a small forward. I know he is not great at it but Motlop, Durdin and Honey were very poor. With the loading up on Harry and Charlie the small forwards should have had a field day ... their positioning and lack of "pounce" was very evident.

Also you don't consistently play well in the reserves and get ignored. That is bluffing your players and you never do that. We have seem some very poor performers who seems to get away with it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:08 pm 
Harry Vallence

It matters little how good the coach is, or how good the game plan is if the players can't execute. If players can't hit targets, miss easy goals, are too slow, allow too much latitude to opponents, or fail to run to the right positions there's not a lot the coach can do in the short term. Turn the list over at the end of the year? (yet another rebuild) Drop players? (with our injury list there's not a lot of options). I fear it's going to be yet again a long painful season. We'll win a few games, probably lose as many, and so yet another season passes without real success.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next