Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 139  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2023
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

Humpers wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
IMO, Fisher was worth pick 25 on its own. Never should have moved our pick 17 back.
In my very own words (come at me as I’m sure I know you will, as I won’t be biting back) – we aren’t very good at this!!!!
End of Statement.

I tend to agree with you on Fisher however we can't be sure that North would have accepted that deal. Regardless it sounds like there probably isn't much difference between picks 17 and 21 in this years draft. Outside the top 10 it sounds like you can throw a blanket over the next 15-20 players.
Dow is an out of contract fringe player with only one club interested, so we were never going to get anything of value.
I remember a couple of years ago you thought we should have got a first rounder for SPS so maybe you over value some of our players.

Yes , i don't get the Dow debate . When there is one buyer it becomes a buyer's market . Virtually name your own price . Beggars can't be choosers .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:55 pm 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
We could have kept Dow and Fisher. We could have even kept O'Brien or Honey/Philp.
And then had no spots on the list to pick up any youngsters in the draft. (Keep in mind, we are required to utilise the draft)
Would that be the preference? To take no kids and keep fringe players who haven't nailed down a spot after 6 years in the system.
You can't have both.

I think the writing was on the wall for all these players to be moved, some earlier than others. That's not my point.
My point is that we need to do better at the trade table and have been Mr Nice for too long.
Yes, I would have made a statement with Dow, if that is what it took. Small points lost in the end but statement would have made some impact.

You are overestimating Fishers worth. In a previous post you mentioned the length of the deal he got at North.
North would be really struggling to meet their TPP I would have thought. So they are likely to spend silly money on fringe players on longer deals until some of the kids develop and eat up more of the TPP.
I note no contender was in the market for Fisher, a player who has been in the system for years yet doesn't have a position nailed down due to several deficiencies in his game.
The market dictates his worth. Not Austin.

I doubt his absence will be noticed.

Post subject: List Management 2023
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:32 pm 
Robert Walls

What statement would that be exactly?

Carlton fringe players that only a single other club is in for is worth a top 20 pick?

but you can now gave em for free

great strategy

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:41 pm 
Laurie Kerr

It would be a very strong statement that we are not afraid to cut off our nose to spite our face because we have really big and hairy balls.

Other clubs will then give us the points we need for F/S selections next year because they will be very frightened of our masculinity.

It's called negotiating, look it up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:22 pm 
Ken Hunter

SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
We could have kept Dow and Fisher. We could have even kept O'Brien or Honey/Philp.
And then had no spots on the list to pick up any youngsters in the draft. (Keep in mind, we are required to utilise the draft)
Would that be the preference? To take no kids and keep fringe players who haven't nailed down a spot after 6 years in the system.
You can't have both.

I think the writing was on the wall for all these players to be moved, some earlier than others. That's not my point.
My point is that we need to do better at the trade table and have been Mr Nice for too long.
Yes, I would have made a statement with Dow, if that is what it took. Small points lost in the end but statement would have made some impact.

I have mentioned this before Surrey but I will float it again.

The world of AFL recruitment is Miniscule. 18 clubs with 18 head recruiters and 18 List Managers. Those 36 have known each other for years and years and years. Many have been at multiple clubs over 20+ year periods. Nepotism is rife.

Most are very good mates. They spend alot of time together in Hotels on planes and in Airport lounges. Alot of them play golf together. No-one goes out of their way to shaft one of their workmates. The exceptions are very small. They all know it is a game that has to be played and most play it fairly because they know they all have to get along over many, many years.

In my 10 years it was very apparent that what comes around goes around. Sure, you might have the upper hand one year with a trade and the next you are in the bent over position. They are in it for the long haul and bending someone over is just not done.

Dodoro is of course the exception. It is a badge of honor for him. Maybe measure his badge of honor against his success rate these past 20 years?

My point is, on the whole, Recruiters do try to be as fair as they can with each other for the reasons I have listed.

Supporters may want to pillage other teams year in year out at trade week, but Recruiters simply don't play that game.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

26 to 28 downgrade is not a downgrade as pick 26 and 27 both now belong to GC which will be eaten up in bid matching.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:38 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Deal done

Riley Beveridge
@RileyBev
A trade taking Elijah Hollands from Gold Coast to Carlton is done.

Blues to send a F3 and Pick 26 to the Suns for Hollands, Pick 28 and a F4. Should go through shortly, with Elijah to join his younger brother Ollie at Ikon Park.
@AFLcomau

@traderadio
5:34 PM · Oct 18, 2023

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:41 pm 
Bruce Doull

Is the F3 Essendon*'s?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:42 pm 
Laurie Kerr

CK95 wrote:
Is the F3 Essendon**'s?

Yep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:45 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cazzesman wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
You can't have both.

The world of AFL recruitment is Miniscule. 18 clubs with 18 head recruiters and 18 List Managers. Those 36 have known each other for years and years and years. Many have been at multiple clubs over 20+ year periods. Nepotism is rife.

Most are very good mates. They spend alot of time together in Hotels on planes and in Airport lounges. Alot of them play golf together. No-one goes out of their way to shaft one of their workmates. The exceptions are very small. They all know it is a game that has to be played and most play it fairly because they know they all have to get along over many, many years.

In my 10 years it was very apparent that what comes around goes around. Sure, you might have the upper hand one year with a trade and the next you are in the bent over position. They are in it for the long haul and bending someone over is just not done.

Dodoro is of course the exception. It is a badge of honor for him. Maybe measure his badge of honor against his success rate these past 20 years?

My point is, on the whole, Recruiters do try to be as fair as they can with each other for the reasons I have listed.

Supporters may want to pillage other teams year in year out at trade week, but Recruiters simply don't play that game.

Regards Cazzesman

Yeah , everybody is swimming in the same shark tank and if want to survive long term you better play nice .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:15 pm 
John James

Drewgirl wrote:
I worshipped SOS growing up. i cant stand the petulant little sook anymore.

I have taken his autographed mark against Collingwood off my wall. I cant stand how much he hates us now.

Now i cant stand him. The miserable miserable man. He couldnt even celebrate his sons milestone. He cant even cheer or be happy for his son. He wants to ruin his fathers, his and sons club.

Geez !!

I would rather get nothing for Dow. Austin dont let us down mate.

I get all that sentiment, but do any of us know how the club he loved since birth and played for as FB of the Century treated him when removing him as list manager for alleged nepotism and what else i forget, bad trades and picks?

Given the kinds of men (always men) who’ve been involved in the clubs board and upper exec levels in the past 30 years I wouldn’t be surprised if he was undermined at the least and very badly by some opinionated power-broker who knew jack-shit about running sporting orgs and managing high performance teams.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:00 pm 
Ken Hunter

Cazzesman wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
You can't have both.

Regards Cazzesman

Great story. I’ll sleep better now knowing no one is taking advantage of us or anyone else. Every trade is fair eg. Pick 25 for Esava . Thanks Cazz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:22 pm 
Ken Hunter

SurreyBlue wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
You can't have both.

Regards Cazzesman

Great story. I’ll sleep better now knowing no one is taking advantage of us or anyone else. Every trade is fair eg. Pick 25 for Esava . Thanks Cazz

Don't shoot the messenger. Apologies for trying to increase your understanding of the situation. If you want to stay bitter and twisted go right ahead. Mind @#$% every trade if it helps you get by.

If you are that disgruntled, maybe buy an Essendon* Membership and feel better about yourself during Trade week. :thumbsup:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

Again thanks but between you and I, my understanding of the world is just fine.
Bitter and Twisted - nicely done. Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:55 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

SurreyBlue wrote:

How many KPD were available to Port? They’re in desperate need of KPD. Mackie knew that.

Also think where the future 3rd eventually went.

No Dow deal means no Hollands deal.

There’s a time and place to make a statement. A bit part mid we didn’t want who wanted to move just across the city?

That’s not the right time to make a statement.

Some of the lack of strategic and long-term thinking around here is just mind-boggling.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:24 am 
Bruce Doull

Cazzesman wrote:
Dodoro is of course the exception. It is a badge of honor for him. Maybe measure his badge of honor against his success rate these past 20 years?[/color]

SOS is good mates with Dodo isn't he? Seems to be modelling himself off him bit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:34 am 
Geoff Southby

Wojee wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
Dodoro is of course the exception. It is a badge of honor for him. Maybe measure his badge of honor against his success rate these past 20 years?[/color]

SOS is good mates with Dodo isn't he? Seems to be modelling himself off him bit.

Yeah , SOS and Dodo are mates . A sicilian and a calabrese . How the faaark does that work ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Yeah , SOS and Dodo are mates . A sicilian and a calabrese . How the faaark does that work ?

They've got a common trait. Narcissism.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:35 am 
Rod Ashman

What’s your take on the Hollands trade Surrey?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Wojee wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Agree.

I think they are the same model now.

No shame, self centered, and stuck up.
Dodoro seems to show more human traits and smiles more than SOS, but that may be a case of the smiling assassin.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 139  Next