Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1076 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:29 am 
Bruce Doull

THAT’S the spiwit….!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:24 am 
John James

Paddycripps wrote:
If you think about it, if we can't respond after last weekend's pathetic effort and go and beat Brisbane, then I reckon that tells us we have some genuine issues in regards to motivation and effort and that comes back to the coach.

i think motivation and team psyche is more than a week to week proposition (though in saying that i do think single game form slumps are real and are a week to week proposition).

the culture of the club is much broader than any individual, and people on the board and in the coaching and playing groups can shape that culture over time. there’s always been a tad of “we’re Carlton” arrogance in spite of two decades of pretty poor football departments, perhaps because of it and our proud history it’s a defensive response that is ingrained in us by the likes of ugly, arrogant men like John Elliot, for example.

so i don’t think you can say player motivation is just down to Voss. he certainly came in with a new agenda and fresher the place up, ut the deeper conditioning of many years of losing takes time to wipe away from the subconscious minds of players and club administrators.

i hope i’m wrong but i sensed a bit of arrogance in Weiter’s latest on screen presser. the way he kept saying “again, like i said” might have just been him mimicking Voss or someone. it can be said in a humble way, the way Weiters used it a year or two ago in ABC radio interviews when he was in AA form, or it can be used in a slighting passive agressive and defensive way. i hope it was the former but it wasn’t great optics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:38 am 
Ken Hunter

Nice one, Diesel. Another error of judgement was prior to the Saints game when Weiters said he could've returned that week but the team was going well so he could afford to give himself a week off. There's good arrogance and then there's hubris, and he was left with egg on his face after that night. He will find the right level in time, he's a good kid.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

Humpers wrote:
Sportsbet now has us $4.00 to miss finals - was $4.50 yesterday.
Still good value.

Bugger, I should have got on yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

diesel95 wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
If you think about it, if we can't respond after last weekend's pathetic effort and go and beat Brisbane, then I reckon that tells us we have some genuine issues in regards to motivation and effort and that comes back to the coach.

i think motivation and team psyche is more than a week to week proposition (though in saying that i do think single game form slumps are real and are a week to week proposition).

the culture of the club is much broader than any individual, and people on the board and in the coaching and playing groups can shape that culture over time. there’s always been a tad of “we’re Carlton” arrogance in spite of two decades of pretty poor football departments, perhaps because of it and our proud history it’s a defensive response that is ingrained in us by the likes of ugly, arrogant men like John Elliot, for example.

so i don’t think you can say player motivation is just down to Voss. he certainly came in with a new agenda and fresher the place up, ut the deeper conditioning of many years of losing takes time to wipe away from the subconscious minds of players and club administrators.

i hope i’m wrong but i sensed a bit of arrogance in Weiter’s latest on screen presser. the way he kept saying “again, like i said” might have just been him mimicking Voss or someone. it can be said in a humble way, the way Weiters used it a year or two ago in ABC radio interviews when he was in AA form, or it can be used in a slighting passive agressive and defensive way. i hope it was the former but it wasn’t great optics.

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think it is all on Voss. The players are the ones out there. But we all know that if the players don't put in consistently and the results trend downwards then it is the coach who cops it.

I thought JW's presser was terrible. He came across as smug to me. What's with the smile Jacob? Your and the teams form has been poor. I would have prefer a steely look and eyeballing the camera promising fans they'll bounce back HARD. His presser stunk of arrogance, the same arrogance that was on display last weekend. I get it, he was trying to communicate the sense that "All is OK guys!" but it was the wrong route if you ask me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

Action speaks louder than words.
Let's see how the boys respond against the Lions.
Go Blues!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:54 pm 
John James

GreatEx wrote:
Nice one, Diesel. Another error of judgement was prior to the Saints game when Weiters said he could've returned that week but the team was going well so he could afford to give himself a week off. There's good arrogance and then there's hubris, and he was left with egg on his face after that night. He will find the right level in time, he's a good kid.

yep. he’s been thrown in the deep end to be one of the main Carlton voices in the media. traditionally we know footballers are f@&^ng useless at public speaking and that’s why they so often fall into using cliches, they’re actually told to use cliches, because it’s safer. yeah, nah, but they don’t have much to say besides cliches in most cases lest they start on the arrogant banter or the inner voice of doubt.

so weiters is one of the new breed who is reasonably articulate and not deprived in the intellectual stakes. .heck half them get scholarships to private schools these days, there should be better public speaking skills, overconfidence and arrogance is one of the main attributes taught at Grammar schools,

i should know i suffered in Trinity and did two years of politics under Demetriou who could never admit to me, even in private, that right after the Australian financial crash in 80s was not a great time to buy USD like he claimed it was in class. i even made a graphical
representation for him. like selling crypto after it’s crashed :-)

Last edited by diesel95 on Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:56 pm 
John James

Paddycripps wrote:
diesel95 wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think it is all on Voss. The players are the ones out there. But we all know that if the players don't put in consistently and the results trend downwards then it is the coach who cops it.

I thought JW's presser was terrible. He came across as smug to me. What's with the smile Jacob? Your and the teams form has been poor. I would have prefer a steely look and eyeballing the camera promising fans they'll bounce back HARD. His presser stunk of arrogance, the same arrogance that was on display last weekend. I get it, he was trying to communicate the sense that "All is OK guys!" but it was the wrong route if you ask me.

100%. almost worth an email to the Carlton Media department.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:54 pm 
Harry Vallence

I hope it doesn't come down to beating the Pies.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Traveller86 wrote:

Actually might not be a bad outcome.

The generational hurt still exists.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:36 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

GWS wrote:
Traveller86 wrote:

Actually might not be a bad outcome.

The generational hurt still exists.
Not for any player, none of them were born when we last played them in a final let alone a grand final...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:48 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Any flicker of hope GC had might be about to go out

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:50 pm 
Ken Hunter

jezzarules wrote:
Any flicker of hope GC had might be about to go out

Yep, we can rule GC out now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:49 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

C'mon Dockers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

Cotton Dockers…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

They are keeping the dogs in it. Ffs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:40 pm 
Ken Hunter

We're two points behind the Dockers, stop cheering them ya softcocks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:46 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GreatEx wrote:
We're two points behind the Dockers, stop cheering them ya softcocks

Need to make the 8 before worrying about moving up. Possible without another win if the others lose too

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

I'll grant that we're more likely to beat Freo in Perth based on their record this year. Carry on!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

Highest Dogs can finish on is 48 points

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1076 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 54  Next